Parent reviews for What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Poster Image

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.

It’s a raw look at what happens within a household behind the scenes where all pretenses are dropped as each family member is absorbed in only themself. I felt Leonardo DiCaprio gave a Grammy worth performance. Personally I don’t feel that there is a movie out there to include Jonny Depp in it , that isn’t a phenomenal movie. He is a flawless actor no matter what role he is cast in.
1 person found this helpful.

Loved it since a kid!

My sister introduced me to this movie when we were young, around the first time it came out on video (nothing much disturbed me - I could handle almost any film). I loved it, even though it deals with a lot of adult situations throughout. There is just something so lovable about the story. Probably one of the very best movies that deals with dysfunctional families and it's very realistic! Gilbert (Johnny Depp) is troubled and confused, after the death of his father and his mother giving up on life and becoming terribly obese, it leaves Gilbert the man of the house. Raising his sisters and autistic brother (Leonardo DiCaprio), he deals with so many responsibilities that soon drives him up the wall. Meeting new girl Becky, and eventually falling in love, she helps to shape his life back to normal. This film is very depressing, it's very sad and emotional. It deals with a lot of death including suicide. There is some violence (slapping an autistic boy, a scene of pulling his hair and dragging him on the ground. Yelling and arguing by family members, an obese woman is humiliated and talked about.) Sexual content includes an affair with an older married woman (a heavy making out scene on a kitchen table, she tells him to come by her place a couple times, she also tells him she wants to "play", oral sex is implied and briefly shown - a woman goes down on Gilbert - no nudity, innocent kissing by a couple). Language is sometimes angry and hurtful, no "F" words though. Gilbert is embarrassed by his mother and at one point calls her a beach whale. Overall, the whole story is an amazing look at life and dealing with stress, loneliness and self destruction. Have to say that Leonardo's performance is simply incredible!!!!! Sit near a kleenex box for this one, there are many emotional scenes!! Mature kids only!!

1 person found this helpful.

not a fan

;gjipwrlb/3hleikjnw,gkvl,

GREAT

Violence 2.5/5 Sex 3/5 Language 3/5 Drinking/Drugs/Smoking 1/5

Five

Much to discuss - for older kids

I think this is an excellent film to discuss. Gilbert loves his family and can't stand them at the same time - like real life?? Other commenters talk about an "affair" with Mrs Carver but I see it as more abuse which Gilbert gets hit with. (Imagine if it was Mr Carver and one of the Grape sisters 'having an affair'!). There is also all the symbolism of the big supermarket dominating and the new Burger Barn providing what the family provided before. I love this film. It is very well done.

I feel so sorry for Arnie. :(

This film was really good. I loved the acting, most notably young Leonardo DiCaprio's. I feel so sorry for Arnie, he is always picked on and well, of course, he has a problem. People must see this film, although there are some mild-love scenes that younger audiences shouldn't see (but nudity) and Arnie gets slapped. But seriously, this film made me cry, but I think it's worth watching (and loving) :)