All teen and kid member reviews for Where the Wild Things Are

Teen, 15 years old Written bybpixie December 22, 2010

DISTURBING

I went and watched it with my four year old brother and dad, and I CRIED. It was an amazing movie, I have to say, but very, very violent and disturbing. I had nightmares. First of all, the opening scenes made me tear up a little bit. Max is making a snowfort and her sister and her friends (some boys) come over and the guys start tearing it apart, and they jump on top of him, causing him to cry and his lip to bleed. Then, they just leave. The mother swears at him later and is emotionally abusive to him, which was horrible. He then runs away and finds a little boat and goes through the ocean to get to a tiny island, where he finds the "Wild Things". In short form, they have fun together, but there are some extremely disturbing and scenes. They can also be very gruesome, such as when someone's arm is torn off, and also one of the characters goes on a rant and tears after Max, proclaiming he's going to eat him, so another character hides Max in her sticky, gooey, dark MOUTH. Ew. Horrible messages throughout the movie except at the end when Max comes home and the family bonds (sort of). All in all, it's a fantastic movie, very well put together, but NOT AT ALL like the popular's children's book. Not for anyone under ten, and even that's pushing it. Gruesome, disturbing, violent, but in the end ... amazing. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bymngirl August 30, 2010

Zero Stars- Don't Even LOOK At It!

Went to see it on my birthday. Worst. Movie. Ever. By far. It was pointless. The book was better. But, the worst movie by far! It was so bad that I wanted to throw up, bury myself in a hole and die. Can you PLEASE let me rate it zero stars. Believe me, I would! It's like a black hole! I wasted my life. Its so depressing and just plain horrible! Don't take kids to see it, don't even LOOK at it, don't rent, buy it, nothing!
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheeserules October 16, 2009
This is an amazing movie. It's leagues better than the garbage they churn out for kid's movies these days. You know why? This isn't a kid's movie, at least in the normal sense. It's appropriate for kids...there are some tense moments for younger kids...but older kids and adults will get way more out of it. It's emotional, dark, moody, and incredibly heartfelt. This isn't a movie that shies away from difficult themes, so if you want your kid to grow up sheltered from the big, bad world and believe that life is all happy and perfect, avoid this film. Otherwise, see it!!
Kid, 11 years old December 30, 2009

Think before you see...

I see that a lot of parents here are complaining about the movies violence and dark themes. What you need to know is that this movie is not for kids under nine, or anyone with a weak stomach. The movie is for adults, particularly those with troubled or depressed children, and the movie shows a very detailed, accurate, and intense view of the hardships these children face. The main character, Max, is a chronically depressed boy, who does not only unleash his anger very brutally, destroying other people's possesions, hurting himself, etc. The viewer can infer that these things have been going on for awhile. He also keeps grudges. In fact, the movies opening scene is of an angry Max chasing after and hurting a small dog in his rage. The scene is very intense, but also relatively brief. After that, it shows him building an igloo in the snow. You can also tell at this scene that his father was divorced with his mother,and Max misses him. We will examine this more later. Anyway, he sees his teenage sister and some of her friends, and challenges them to a snowball fight. But things get rough, and not only is Max hurt, his igloo is destroyed. Later, he goes into her room and, in a display of anger, trashes and destroys many of her valuable possesions, including a card he made for her for Valentines day. When his mother comes home from work he tells her what happened. He gets her attention by doing an odd sort of dance act, similar to the actions of many depressed children. He also tells her a story he made up, about a vampire and some building. This is obviously related to the snow scene, as you will be able to tell. At one time, it shows his room where there are many traces of his depression.(Two headed lego people, books and clothes strewn everywhere, etc.) He comes down for dinner, in his wolf costume, and is shocked to see his mother and a man, probably her boyfriend, kissing and drinking wine. Fearing that the man will replace his father, he gets angry, hurts his mother, and runs away from home. We now transition into Max's mind and imagination he finds a boat, and sails on to an island. On the island, he meets a very wild, destructive, and intense group of monsters called The Wild Things. They threaten to eat him, but he claims to be a great ruler from a distant land, and they grant him their king. As the movie progresses, the overall feel becomes very shaggy and sad. Max tries to make the place a sort of perfect realm, where nothing bad ever happens, but things soon go awry. One of the Wild Things, K.W., introduces him to two of her friends, who are owls. Notice how the Wild Things personalities are all parts of Max, with Judith being depressed, K.W. being selfless and inclusive, and Max's friend Carol, being very much like him. However, Carol becomes jealous of the owls, and becomes very angry, much like Max, and in one intense sequence, rips Douglas's arm off.(No blood is shown.) Fortunately, K.W. helps him escape. Soon, Max begins to miss his mother, and eventually sails off to his home. Carol realizes the error of his ways, and sobs as Max leaves. We exit Max's mind and return to the real world.Max returns home, and he seems to have been gone several hours. His mother welcomes him gladly home, and while she has been generally oblivious to his problem earlier, she seems to recognize it now. It can be infered that after the movie, Max gets professional help. With all this in mind, you must realize that this movie is very unlike the book, is very dark and intense, and is most certainly not for the same audience as the one for the book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLittle movie freak December 20, 2009

The Best film of 2009!

This is the best movie of the year by far since "The Blind Side"! "Where The Wild Things Are is a darker sometimes scarier and a sad experience.This movie has some intense situations that include Carol (the main Wild Thing in the group)having bad behavior and lots intense fights such as dirt clod war and a scene where Carol and Douglas have an (upsetting to younger kids)intense fight Spoiler Alert: where Carol breaks Douglas's favorite arm (sort of funny to look at) and has a stick to replace it. There is brief language that include the d and the h word.Insults are used pretty strongly (especially used in fights)that include stupid and God.This movie is also played in Imax theaters too and if you see it there it will be more intense and upsetting for kids 9 and under.There are also some adult parts younger kids won't understand. This movie is a the BEST movie of the 2009 year by far. U need 2 C this movie ASAP(as soon as possible.)It's movie I loved and that I gave an A . It's something that adults will LOVE and cry at and a movie that (older kids 10 + )will probably enjoy too, but will not enjoy it as much as I did. 5 stars. An A !
Teen, 13 years old Written byjason913 October 18, 2009

Not for kids, but still a great film!

This is not a kids film. I just want to get that misconception off your mind right now. Anyway, this is a very good film for several reasons. One, it doesn't treat you like a little kid and spoon feed you corporate approved morals. All the characters have flaws and are not shown as role models. All the wild things are essentialy different facets of anyone's personality, making the film very transcendent. Also, it doesn't beat you over the head with obnoxious slapstick like most of today's tripe. It leaves room for lots of--gasp!--dramatic moments! So anyway, even though it isn't for kids under 10, anyone over 10 who knows that not every movie is happy times and gumdrops will be satisfied, at least.
Kid, 10 years old December 6, 2010

boring, dark, and the worst movie ever

I really HATE this movie. Don't buy it, Don't rent it, Don't think about buying it, and worst of all, Don't even LOOK at it.
Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2011

Know why I cried in the end?

BECAUSE I HAD JUST WASTED ABOUT 2 HOURS OF MY LIFE WATCHING THIS STUPID MOVIE!! Do not see it under any circumstances.
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2010

This is not a good movie at all

I hated this movie. It was very upsetting and the role models are really bad. That kid seriously needs to control himself and he serious needs a huge time out.
Kid, 9 years old January 2, 2010

Why would anyone like this? It's sad, weird, lacks of story, has bad messages.

This movie was probably the one of the worst movies ever. It's terrible! I saw this with my friend, and he hated it too. A kid gets mad at his sister, wrecks her room, bites his mom, runs away, steals a boat, sails to an unknown island, becomes king of weird, giant creatures who live there, has a war, the wild things get mad, Max does the robot, Sails away, back home, where his mom isn't mad at all. There's the story. Dark, sad, weird, creepy, and bad. DON'T SEE THIS!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybjf15 June 9, 2014

I saw this a couple of years back and it is just the worst. A boy leaves his family and joins this group of monsters. I was bored, weirded out, and completely not interested. Only good part was the ending.

Teen, 15 years old Written byRapstartswithC September 20, 2011

Ah-Full

The movie ended before it began...it was very boring with no apparent storyline. Depressing and strange, this adaptation of the classic children's book was definitely a disappoining one. (At least 2 uses of the word d**n and 1 inappropriately used "God").
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011
Suggested MPAA Rating: NC-17 for Extremely bad influences and stupidity.
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2011

depressing and odd

The messages were weird, scary , and downright depressing. I used to LOVE the book but the movie has totally ruined it for me. It's absolutly nothing like the book and i'm kind of dissapointed with it.
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2010

good for 11 and up

not rlly a good movie a monster rips off the one monsters arm off!
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2010

badness

NO PLOT! couldnt understand a thing!
Teen, 13 years old Written bywinterpercussion August 23, 2010

I wish I could rate it negative five stars...

This movie is stupid!!! Not even worth seeing!!! Here's the story in a summary... The opening consists of the boy with a fork chasing his dog and screaming then like chocking it. Then events happen he throws a huge tantrum and destroys his sisters room. Next the kid gets mad with his mother then screams bits her wrestles with her then he runs away scream in the woods then he gets on a boat goes to the island meets random huge ugly monsters smashing houses for no good reason he lies about some stuff then they make him the king of them then stupid stuff happens the kid scream others scream and howl then they decide randomly to build a fort then they have a dirt clog fight. Then the monsters figure out how he lied in the beginning one gets UNBELIEVABLY mad then wants to eat the kid then events happen then the kid gets back on the boat and goes home. the last scene of him eating dinner with his mother and smiling then it ends.......I mean what the hell this movie had NO STORYLINE they just did random stuff and destroyed stuff and screamed then threw tantrums it WAS HORRIBLE DON'T WASTE A HOUR AND 30 MIN OF YOUR LIFE!!!
Kid, 10 years old August 13, 2010

This is nothing like the book

Max is misbehaved and run away, I feel uncomfortable when wild thing are unhappy, and Max comes home but does not apologize! THIS IS BASED ON A KIDS BOOK!! But they are making all of the bad stuff not meant for kids and IT BECOMES A BAD MOVIE. I think they overdid the bad stuff with no real "happy ending". I was tempted to give this a one star rating. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
Kid, 7 years old July 10, 2010
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2010

HORRIBLE

This movie is very disturbing, violent, and sad. Do not see this movie!!!