Kid reviews for Whiplash

Whiplash Poster Image

Coming of Age Masterpiece

This is an amazing coming of age story about a young man striving to be the best, played by Miles Teller, under his abusive music teacher, played masterfully by J.K. Simmons resulting in an Oscar win. Younger children may be frightened by Fletcher (Simmons) and how he treats not just Neiman (Teller) but also everyone else. Other than constant yelling and swearing, this is a suitable film for most teens and everyone should watch it at least once. If you find this movie too harsh, then I would not recommend Raging Bull as it is even harsher.

Coming of Age Masterpiece

It was simply incredible... but extremely painful to watch.

It was simply incredible... from a critical perspective. The level of plain emptiness I felt afterword -though intended for the audience- was very unpleasant. The excessive language, though mainly purposely displayed as unappealing, was so strong. Over 100 f-words along with several uses of "c*nt" and "c*ck" and "faggot". Other strong words like "d*ck," "t*t," "b*tch," "sh*t," and smaller words like "ass," "damn," and "hell" are regularly exclaimed (again mainly by the music teacher). The hardest part of all this is the manner in which the words are used. Most of these are added on with insulting words to make them more powerful. The violence isn't severe but still hard. A drummer works so hard multiple times that he bloodies his hands badly with blisters. blood can be seen dripping down is hands and painting his sticks and drums. Intense peril is inflicted emotionally on the band by, once again, the teacher. Although, he is purposefully being displayed an a very evil man. The overall message is to push yourself beyond your limits for what? To be the best there is. In doing so, it pushes everyone you love away. Is that a moral reason? I'd probably recommend this to mature teens 16+ for the brutal and emotional story and of course the language. 4/5 stars.

This movie is great, and is not that bad for kids.

This is movie is great and is def in my top 5 favourites, and is not that bad for kids so.

Whiplash

Phenomenal movie about perseverance. I recommend this movie.

This movie is a masterpiece story about a abusive teacher and his student who want be perfect at music this tell you passion and dreams but it is also have too much violence and swearing

swearing? LOTS. everything else? NONE. this movie is also kinda intense but violence but just big bald man shouting

Amazing film with a TON of language

All I have to say is it's stupidly good. It's an absolute masterpiece. But there is SO much cursing. Tons of F*cks, sh*ts, b*tch, f*ggot and just about every single word. There are a few sexual references like Fletcher tells this one dude this is not your bf's d*ck, do not come early, and he says c*ck suckers a few times. But I think it's fine for 14+

Beautiful, thought-provoking, but intense, absurdly profane, and occasionally terrifying study between perfectionism and the relationship from student to master.

Whiplash is a 2014 psychological drama movie directed by Damien Chazelle and starring Miles Teller, J. K. Simmons, Paul Reiser, Nate Lang, Austin Stowell, Melissa Benoist, C. J. Vana, Marcus Henderson, and Tony Baker. Language(5/5): Intense, brutal, extremely frequent and degrading strong language, and the most I've ever heard in a film. While it doesn't have the biggest quantity of swear words in comparison to something like a Scorsese or Tarantino film, the hateful context, variety, brutality, and screaming of the words makes for a much more exhausting experience, mostly driven by J. K. Simmons Terence Fletcher, an intelligent but abusive master. The most frequent offender is the swear word "f**k", which I counted to be used 140 times, though I probably missed a scene regardless (for the record, that's 6 more than "The Heat"'s 134 uses of the word, which was the previous contender for the most swear words I had personally seen in a movie). Creative mashups are often seen, with the words "g**-f***ing-d***it", "pansy-a**-fruitf**k", "p***y-d**k", and "J***s-f***ing-ch***t" appearing. Frequent profanity including "s**t", "b**ch", "d**k", "pu**ies", "t*ts", "a**", "damn", "hell", "pr**k", "piss", "a**hole", "pansy", "bastard", "c**k/c***sucker", "g****mn", and some uses of "god" and "J*s*s Chr**t" in vain. One use each of "c**t" and "c*m". Slurs are occasional, including 2 uses of "f***ot", 6 uses of "r*t*rd", 1 use of "cr*cker", and a flurry of Irish slurs in one scene, including "m**k", "p*ddy", "kn**k*r", and "t**g". Almost all of the words are in an abusive context as well. And all of these swear words count up to: 364 swear words, again, to "The Heat" with only 288. Now that's a lot of cussing. Sex(2/5): A couple scenes with flirting and dating. Crude innuendo from Fletcher, including jokes about "h*ndjobs", e***ulation, grotesque genitalia, and degrading comments about relationships. Drinking, Drugs, And Smoking(1/5): Social drinking in a bar. Violence(3/5): There are several disturbing scenes of abuse in the film, with Fletcher attacking Andrew Nieman for the goal of improving his performance. He slaps him in the face to make sure he's on time, he throws objects at him including a cymbal and a chair, and in the middle of playing he plays a cowbell to mess up his tempo and then throws it in his face and strikes him in the face with a drumstick, to which he keeps playing after being severely bruised. Nieman plays so hard that he starts bleeding profusely, and the drumset is dirtied with his blood as he bandages himself while playing even faster. There are a couple scenes of Nieman having an exhausted mental breakdown, including a scene of him punching a drum so hard that it breaks in half, screaming and psychically abusing himself, and a later scene that gets him expelled from the school. After losing his stick bag, he drives back and forth to be prepared for a performance, and after arguing over a phone, gets into a massive car wreck after a truck crashes into him out of nowhere, which will shock many viewers. He is seen bleeding with graphic injuries, but still attempts the performance. After he publicly fails miserably, Fletcher expels him in the middle of the performance, to which Nieman kicks the drumset out of the way and tackles and attempts to beat his teacher to a pulp before being restrained and screaming profanities at him while being taken away, the whole scene is very emotional and intense. Fletcher discusses the death of one of his best players, saying he was killed in a car crash, however it is revealed that the player actually hanged himself as a result of Fletcher's abuse. Fletcher's verbal abuse through profanities may distress viewers. There are many stressful scenes as the film goes along, but it then turns to one of the most satisfying endings in film history. Positive Messages(3/5): The film shows that determination, perseverance, and hard work will help you achieve your dreams, however it also warns viewers of the dangers of when dreams can turn into unheathy perfectionism. Positive Role Models And Representation(2/5): While Fletcher does beliddle his students with abuse and racist/homophobic comments, he does have a respectable goal, which is to push people to play the best music in the world. Andrew Nieman is a very ambitious role model, and his ending triumph is very inspiring considering the journey he took. However, Nieman sacrifices everything to get to his best performance, including his family, love, health, and respect. A conversation might be necessary to show that the exaggerations taken to make the film more internally realistic, and that if Fletcher was a real music teacher he probably would've been fired on the first day. Highlights: The acting, the themes, the entire ending, the internally dramatic and incredibly impactful experience Lowlight: N/A Watching Experience: It was a physically demanding experience, as I was horrified and sweating for most of the film, and I cried a lot at the ending. However, it was also darkly funny, more than a bit awkward with my parents due to the relentless profanities, and it easily has one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen in a film, which broke me down to tears because of the internal culmination of the best moments in the human experience. A great time. Quality(opinionated); Other than the works of Stanley Kubrick and a certain film with a train that runs away, it is again the best movie I've ever seen. The internally disturbing but eventual emotionally raw feeling in satisfaction was an unforgettable experience. The exaggerations from the experience helped the film a lot, and the ending had some of the best music I've ever heard, easily the best from the genre of jazz. The writing was incredibly symbolic and compelling, and the cinematography and editing were genuinely some of the most creative and beautiful I've ever seen. At one point, I even said "you could take a simple shot out of context and it would be great enough for the poster". It was definitely not an easy viewing, but a fantastic film in every way nonetheless. (My rating) R For sequences of psychologically distressing abuse/violence and some bloody images, sexual references, and nonstop strong language.

honest review from someone who's seen it

THIS MOVIE IS SOO GOOODDD! it is a must watch for anyone over the age of 12, but any younger than that should hold off on watching it. lots of VERY strong language (f--k, s--t, and homophobic slurs like f----t), and some blood (character gets in car crash, character bleeds from playing drums too hard). this movie perfectly balances that you should always try to make your dreams happen, just don't lose your other dreams along the way.