All parent member reviews for Wild

Parent of a 4, 8, and 12 year old Written bythesmartwealthymom February 18, 2015

Wild: Emotional, Gripping but not for Kids

Wild was gripping, emotional and entertaining. Date night with my hunny. Reese Witherspoon is perfection! Just kinda slow and confusing! Not for kids in my ENTIRE LIFE. My hunny rate the film a 4/5 and so do I! NOT FOR KIDS BECAUSE of Brief Violence, Sexuality/Nudity, Strong Language and Drinking/Drug Use.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 December 21, 2014

Witherspoon's "Wild" is simply wonderful

This is Reese Witherspoon like you've rarely seen her: mostly makeup free, covered with raw bruises and scrapes from her backpacking hike, and a fierce determination to get through this 1100 mile hike on her own. It's not the destination of course, but the journey. The movie focuses on flashbacks of Cheryl Strayed's troubled past, from an abusive father to a sick mother (an Oscar-worthy Laura Dern as the most radiant mom you'll see all year) to a relationship with drugs. Witherspoon anchors the film with a vulnerable, determined performance, unsure of how the journey will end when this self-exploring adventure stops. It all (literally) rests on her shoulders, and in a movie complete with just about everything you don't want your kids to see, I recommend this mature, self-examining great film to seniors in high school.
Parent Written byEmilyK 2 January 18, 2015

Moving, authentic, beautiful...not for kids

This movie is really one of those films that is best for members of the club: people who have personal experience with addiction and recovery and/or the loss of someone who deeply and purely loved you. I'd say about two-thirds of the 55 and up affluent, white audience I sat with did not get it. They talked throughout, commenting on the beautiful scenery. I have regular discussions with my mature 14 1/2 yr old daughter about mental illness and addiction because it runs in our family, but I would never have seen this with her. I'll tell you why: very well done, ethereal, dreamlike flashbacks of both heroin and sex addiction. Anglo-saxon curse words don't bother me for her, but seeing someone actually shoot up drugs, even as a flashback can be triggering for adults in recovery and deeply disturbing for young people who are healthy and happy, being raised in an alcohol/substance free home or by non-addict parents. Are you getting my drift here? Also, please be advised of the intensity of the sex addiction flashbacks. There are full-body nude, from the side, simulated sex scenes that are flashed very quickly, but make a big impact and give the viewer a very telling glimpse into what that part of Cheryl Strayed's addiction was like. I don't recommend any growing girl or boy seeing these types of moving images until they are adults with a healthy sense of their own sexuality and can view it with compassion, knowing that type of behavior never has to be for them.
Adult Written byB-KMastah December 11, 2014

Not quite amazing, but empathetic and powerful.

For all of the people that are saying that they don't want to see Wild because they already saw Tracks (but honestly, no one saw Tracks), see this anyway. Even if this isn't one-of-the-best-movies-of-the-year material, it's still a very solid film where Reese Witherspoon nails it. The direction is strong and sympathetic and the script is candid yet has several genuinely funny moments. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Witherspoon hasn't really done much lately--nothing memorable, at least. However, she's the best thing about Wild. She's likable when she needs to be likable, she's fragile when she needs to be fragile, and she nicely balances how much she emotes. She doesn't overact, band she doesn't at all come off as stiff. Pair that with Jean-Marc Vallà (C)'s objective direction, and we get a movie that doesn't criticize a good person for doing bad things. We cringe as an audience when she shoots up heroin in flashbacks and we feel sad when she has sketchy sex that she eventually regrets, but the movie never acts like she's an amoral, disgusting drug addict or a slut. The movie is nicely constructed from a structural and technical standpoint as well; flashbacks begin in realistic manners, whether it's from an auditory or visual cue experienced by the main character. Paired with that is some interesting use of sound design. Not that the sound design itself is interesting, but the manner in which it's used to connect scenes and transitions between flashbacks and current day is smooth and immersive. The only thing holding this movie back, though, is actually the fact that it didn't affect me that much. I was definitely interested as to what happened, but I never cried or anything. It's a very well constructed movie with a great lead performance (despite its running time being about ten minutes too long), but I don't think that this will stick with me for a while to come. 8.2/10, very good, one thumb up, above average, etc.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byNcarb January 2, 2015

powerful story of redemption

Witherspoon acts her socks off (and walks her socks off) in this awards bait drama; a grown up look at self destructive behaviour and how to break a cycle and save yourself. an inspiring story of determination and how to forgive yourself for your mistakes and start a new chapter. the depiction of heroin use and compulsive sexual behaviour, makes it a film for older teens in my opinion.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byDaniel Mac October 10, 2015

A mature, well-acted piece of self-exploration.

Reese Witherspoon is the best she's ever been in this well-crafted and nicely-shot story of a troubled woman trying to hike away her demons after her mother's death and break up of her own marriage. The cover shot of the film might make you think it's going to be a "walk in the wood" viewing for the whole family. It's not. Heed the warnings of me an other viewers that this is a fantastic film about a troubled adult, and meant for adult audiences. The main character is a good person, but ultimately trying to escape her tendency for self-destruction. That means lots of flashbacks to some fairly graphic loveless sex (some of it with two men at a time), heroine and other drug usage, and plenty of strong language. The relationship with the main character and her family is loving however, if somewhat fractured. Even though the character seems to be getting back on track in her life, I'd want to explain to teen viewers how some people can be self-destructive and to use this movie as an example of what a waste of years that behavior can be. The ultimate message is that the main character, though making plenty of mistakes in her life, doesn't want to waste more of it on regrets when there is still living to do ahead of her. Her long hike is proof to herself of what she can achieve. Despite that, this movie is full of strictly adult behavior. If you're watching this movie with a child, most people would find that disturbing.
Parent Written bymarsbiznez June 17, 2015

Moving and inspiring/but not for kids

I liked the movie except it gave it very much a sexual conotation from beginning to end. It has lots of flash nudity all throughout the movie. It could have made it's point without showing all of that and it would have been a rich movie. Including the drug use.