All parent member reviews for Wild

Parent of a 4, 8, and 12 year old Written bythesmartwealthymom February 18, 2015

Wild: Emotional, Gripping but not for Kids

Wild was gripping, emotional and entertaining. Date night with my hunny. Reese Witherspoon is perfection! Just kinda slow and confusing! Not for kids in my ENTIRE LIFE. My hunny rate the film a 4/5 and so do I! NOT FOR KIDS BECAUSE of Brief Violence, Sexuality/Nudity, Strong Language and Drinking/Drug Use.
Adult Written byB-KMastah December 11, 2014

Not quite amazing, but empathetic and powerful.

For all of the people that are saying that they don't want to see Wild because they already saw Tracks (but honestly, no one saw Tracks), see this anyway. Even if this isn't one-of-the-best-movies-of-the-year material, it's still a very solid film where Reese Witherspoon nails it. The direction is strong and sympathetic and the script is candid yet has several genuinely funny moments. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Witherspoon hasn't really done much lately--nothing memorable, at least. However, she's the best thing about Wild. She's likable when she needs to be likable, she's fragile when she needs to be fragile, and she nicely balances how much she emotes. She doesn't overact, band she doesn't at all come off as stiff. Pair that with Jean-Marc Vallà (C)'s objective direction, and we get a movie that doesn't criticize a good person for doing bad things. We cringe as an audience when she shoots up heroin in flashbacks and we feel sad when she has sketchy sex that she eventually regrets, but the movie never acts like she's an amoral, disgusting drug addict or a slut. The movie is nicely constructed from a structural and technical standpoint as well; flashbacks begin in realistic manners, whether it's from an auditory or visual cue experienced by the main character. Paired with that is some interesting use of sound design. Not that the sound design itself is interesting, but the manner in which it's used to connect scenes and transitions between flashbacks and current day is smooth and immersive. The only thing holding this movie back, though, is actually the fact that it didn't affect me that much. I was definitely interested as to what happened, but I never cried or anything. It's a very well constructed movie with a great lead performance (despite its running time being about ten minutes too long), but I don't think that this will stick with me for a while to come. 8.2/10, very good, one thumb up, above average, etc.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 December 21, 2014

Witherspoon's "Wild" is simply wonderful

This is Reese Witherspoon like you've rarely seen her: mostly makeup free, covered with raw bruises and scrapes from her backpacking hike, and a fierce determination to get through this 1100 mile hike on her own. It's not the destination of course, but the journey. The movie focuses on flashbacks of Cheryl Strayed's troubled past, from an abusive father to a sick mother (an Oscar-worthy Laura Dern as the most radiant mom you'll see all year) to a relationship with drugs. Witherspoon anchors the film with a vulnerable, determined performance, unsure of how the journey will end when this self-exploring adventure stops. It all (literally) rests on her shoulders, and in a movie complete with just about everything you don't want your kids to see, I recommend this mature, self-examining great film to seniors in high school.