Parent reviews for Winnie the Pooh

Adorable big-screen Pooh adaptation is short and sweet.

Wondering if Winnie the Pooh is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byDrBatesy July 11, 2020

Beware the Backson!

This movie scared our 4 year old, who has coped with e.g. The Were Rabbit. A week of nightmares about the Backson has been followed by a month-long struggle to get her to sleep through the night in her own bed. The end scene in which the Backson is shown to be kind did not help as (cf. The Gruffalo) it also showed the Backson to be real and not a figment of Owl's imagination.
Adult Written byMomWhoCares4u September 18, 2020

Mostly good except the backson

I wish they didn’t add the backson at the very end of the movie/credits! The backson was not real “back soon” not backson. I could have explained which I tried that he is not real but because of the added scene it made it harder. It can be a little scary for young children. Piglet is often seen as very scared which children my copy. Over all it’s pretty good but a little too much at times.
Adult Written byCaseywest1126 July 26, 2020
Parent of a 3-year-old Written byaFirefly July 7, 2020

Delightful!

My three-year-old was delighted by this movie. We had watched the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh weeks prior, and decided to try this one, and I'm glad that we did. I think I enjoyed the pacing of this one more, where my child seemed to be engrossed by both. There are parts where they describe what a Backson could be... A scary monster that does all sort of mischievous things! It's all just a misunderstanding, but younger children could miss that and be frightened. I explained to my three-year-old throughout whenever a misconception could be made, and he thought the movie was silly (in a good way).

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written bymarkegiani June 3, 2020
Parent of a 3, 4, and 6-year-old Written byMGeorge12 February 3, 2020

Excellent starter movie

My kids have always loved this movie. It is one of the few that has never scared them.

Adult Written byLynn_Darlow January 31, 2020

Great first Disney Movie to watch as family

This was a good Disney intro for my son (3.5). He isn’t not ready for most Disney movies with villains. This was a good pace for him to follow along. Cute songs. Had the nostalgia factor for me who loved Winnie the Pooh as a kid so I loved it, too. I am definitely glad I was watching it with him to help explain the Backson. It’s a very cute sequence of a monster that isn’t really a monster, reminiscent of the heffalumps and woozles in the old Pooh. This is one we will rewatch.

Parent of a 2 and 6-year-old Written bymlinds September 22, 2019

Perfect for kids who can't handle much conflict / need gentle movies.

We watched this with our 2.5 and 6.5 year old, and it was essentially their first Disney movie and almost their first movie. Our 6.5 year old doesn't like conflict at all, and she declared this movie "amazing" at the end. It's cute, fun, has some catchy tunes (Zooey Deshanel sings some of them), and the "scary" part is done in a way that keeps it pretty light and silly (there's a potential monster the characters talk and imagine, and it's shown in simple drawings; the music accompanying it isn't too scary). It's also a nice length (not too long). I was searching and search for sweet, simple, but not-too-boring that worked for both ages, and this was pretty ideal.
Parent of a 3-year-old Written bytaragailis September 17, 2019

Entertaining without being Scary

My son will only watch this movie. It keeps his attention and I don’t have to worry about skipping inappropriate or scary parts!

Parent Written byHeather M. July 9, 2019

We love Winnie the Pooh

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bylisainsfo April 7, 2019

Disney At It's Best

This is one of the best Disney movies I have ever seen. Story is true to the original book. Nothing offensive whatsoever. Beautifully paced story as well. A truly lovely family movie from start to finish.

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byD. L. January 29, 2019

4 year old laughed and giggled

Absolutely delightful. Typical Winnie the Pooh confusion when Owl tries to read a note and they try to find Eeyore's missing tail. Sweet messages and fun story interaction.

Note that after the credits there is a little short with the "real" Backsun monster finding the toys in the woods and saying "I wonder whose toys these are? I should pick them up so they don't get broken". It was not portrayed scarily but might be confusing/scary for littler ones who just understood that the "Backsun" monster was Owl mis-reading Back Soon.

Adult Written byHolly R. December 16, 2018

Cute film and not scary at all

It's a very cute movie and it's the last traditional hand drawn Disney movie at the time of my review. I only have two complaints about it: 1 it's too short, and 2. I'm starting to believe Owl has dyslexia.
Adult Written byBethany R. November 20, 2018

Doesn't compars to the original

Adult Written byBombalina October 20, 2018

Adult Written byAnniebacon October 2, 2018

Even 5 years later it remains a family favorite

This is a very gentle movie that is still interesting, full of great relationships, astoundingly creative, and has fabulous music. The music is one of the highlights for me - Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward do many of the bigger songs. The story opens a first plot, a second, a third, a fourth, and then closes them in reverse order. It's easy to follow for a little one, and has enough going on for any age. First time watching this was while my son was in the hospital - watched it 17 times in a row over a few days (only thing they really had). We got home and all missed it. Now even 5 years later it is still a favorite. Definitely the best of the Pooh movies.

Adult Written byjoy_s July 16, 2018

Scarier than reviews suggest

I played this at a 5th birthday party. Most of the children were 4, and all found it too scary to watch to the end, even with adult attempts to explain and convince it would all be ok in the end.

Given the word play and the scariness, I do not agree with other reviewers that this is suitable for 3+. There was a lot they didn't understand and also knew they didn't understand - so exactly not the stuff that was going over their head, but that needed explaining. It was totally unsuitable for the audience, but have given it a 3star review...if i'd shown it to a happier audience it may well have got 5stars

I note this is a non-US-based review and think kids at the party may have generally been exposed to less scary media than others here.
Adult Written byMJB2014 July 9, 2015

Backson animation scared my 3-year old!

This movie looked like the perfect choice for my 3-year old to watch on a hot afternoon while his baby sister was napping. It was beautifully animated and the voicing was entertaining. So far, so good. Unfortunately we then got to the 'Backson' part of the story and my son got very scared, shaking with fright and crying. He hasn't stopped talking about the Backson since! This morning he woke up saying there was a Backson in his room. It's unusual for him to be scared by movies and he has seen some movies that are rated on here for older ages e.g. Cars and Legoland without being scared.

I'm not sure why this particular animation sequence was so alarming for him - possibly because his beloved Winnie the Pooh characters were scared of the Backson too? Either way, it is a lovely movie and seems to be appropriate for the age group of 3-4 but it's worth warning others that the Backson storyline could have an impact on a sensitive child or one who is going through a phase of being scared by everything. Something to keep in mind when selecting this movie if you have a younger or sensitive child.
Parent of a 2-year-old Written bynoelles August 20, 2014

Great for kids!

Something I can watch with my kids without all of the incredibly annoying musical numbers.

Written byAnonymous August 26, 2012