Parent reviews for Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh Poster Image

TOO SCARY. Half cute (Eeyore's tail), half terrible (Backson).

My 2 and 4-year-old love the original 1977 Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, so I thought they would like this one too. I read reviews here first, and I should have listened to those who said the Backson monster was too scary. My 4-year-old asked me to skip the Backson part about 5 minutes into it, and he still had trouble falling asleep tonight because he was scared of the monster! To provide more details to those considering watching it: the movie starts out with one of the classic stories from the book about Eeyore losing his tail, and all the friends trying to help him find it. Then, about 15 minutes in, Christopher Robin goes to school and leaves a note saying he'll be "back soon". Owl misreads the notes and tells everyone he's been kidnapped by a terrible monster called "Backson". This launches into a dream/imagination sequence that explains in vivid detail all the things he does that make him so scary. Owl then asks everyone else to think of more mean things the monster could do, to really get those imaginations running wild. Granted, it's things like eating their alarm clock to make them wake up late and poking holes in their socks, but he aggressively pokes the holes with giant, menacing horns, and it's all very mean-spirited - this monster is doing these things to be mean and laughing about it. Compare this to the Heffalumps and Woozles in the 1977 movie. Yes, they're a little bit scary in Pooh's dream, but they're only scary because he thinks they're coming for his honey, which manifests in them being vaguely unsettling. They never actually threaten Pooh himself, unlike the Backson, who at one point in the "dream" stomps on Piglet, crushing him. I don't remember why, but it was one of the scenes my preschooler brought up when he was too scared to fall asleep tonight. After the imagination sequence, the plot moves to the characters running to set defences, military-style, while talking about how scared they are of this big bad monster. This was when we decided to skip the rest, so we jumped ahead to Christopher Robin coming home from school. He explained the whole silly mix-up, but the seed of a big scary monster who could do things to you had already been planted. Finally, the plot goes back to Eeyore's tail, as Pooh visits Owl, sees the tail hanging as his door knocker, and returns it to him. That part is all so cute and straight from the book, like ALL of the stories in the 1977 movie were. I don't know who decided to spice it up with their own new snazzy idea in the middle, or WHY, but it seems so out of character with the rest of everything Winnie the Pooh! It's also just weirdly spliced together - why begin and end with Eeyore's tail? Why not just do each little story on its own, the way they did in the original? It would flow better, and have the advantage of not needing to skip the parts that suck. I know a lot of other people on here said their kids weren't scared by the Backson at all, and that's great for them, but I wish I'd known exactly what we were in for. I'd say it's definitely scary, so if your kid is good with that, go for it, but if they're sensitive to scary stuff at all and you thought Winnie the Pooh was a good, safe choice, you might want to pre-watch it first (because what else do parents want to do once their kids are in bed than watch kids' movies, right??). Anyway, if you do choose to watch it, best of luck to you! I hope you like it better than we did!

Short, entertaining movie for very little ones

I see other reviews on here report problems with the Backson being a bit scary. My usually quite sensitive 2-and-a-half year old was perfectly comfortable with the Backson, even sings the song. I suppose he responds more to scary music (of which there isn't any in this movie) rather than verbal descriptions. I suppose this type of thing is very much dependent on the child and what cues they strongly respond to.

That Warm Fuzzy Feeling

Going to see this movie was like stepping back into childhood. I had the 1977 movie on VHS when I was young and I wore that tape out with countless viewings. I was also a big fan of the cartoon show than ran during the nineties and the many direct-to-video films that came out around that time too. So I already walk into this movie with nostalgia on my mind - knowing roughly what to expect, and the film delivers pretty much what you've seen before. It follows the structure of the 1977 movie mostly, telling three different stories over the length of the film. Which may have worked in 1977, but today if you cut the film apart into these three sections you could just release them as specials on the Disney channel. The voice work is as good as it needs to be. Jim Cummings is enigmatic as always and Bud Luckey is a nice addition as Eeyore. It's not Disney's best dubbing job but far from their worst. The film is far too short, there was definitely time for another story should there have been one. 70 minutes shouldn't really be acceptable for a cinema release, under any circumstances. All qualms I have with the movie are overshadowed by its innocence and joy. Children who go to see this movie may love it, but adults may love it more.

Beware of the Backson!

Who does not love Pooh? After decades Pooh is still up in this short 2011 movie this time with a monster? Lots of slapsticks, few scares like a scary tree and a little out of context that us adults understand. This is not the best movie of 2011 but good for a quick nostalgic watch on DVD for all. In consumerism of course millions of books, toys and on and on.

Mostly good except the backson

I wish they didn’t add the backson at the very end of the movie/credits! The backson was not real “back soon” not backson. I could have explained which I tried that he is not real but because of the added scene it made it harder. It can be a little scary for young children. Piglet is often seen as very scared which children my copy. Over all it’s pretty good but a little too much at times.

Beware the Backson!

This movie scared our 4 year old, who has coped with e.g. The Were Rabbit. A week of nightmares about the Backson has been followed by a month-long struggle to get her to sleep through the night in her own bed. The end scene in which the Backson is shown to be kind did not help as (cf. The Gruffalo) it also showed the Backson to be real and not a figment of Owl's imagination.

Delightful!

My three-year-old was delighted by this movie. We had watched the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh weeks prior, and decided to try this one, and I'm glad that we did. I think I enjoyed the pacing of this one more, where my child seemed to be engrossed by both. There are parts where they describe what a Backson could be... A scary monster that does all sort of mischievous things! It's all just a misunderstanding, but younger children could miss that and be frightened. I explained to my three-year-old throughout whenever a misconception could be made, and he thought the movie was silly (in a good way).

Excellent starter movie

My kids have always loved this movie. It is one of the few that has never scared them.