All parent member reviews for Wish I Was Here

Parent of a 16 year old Written byterrid1 August 3, 2014

just not good

From the first minute they use the f word constantly. Just not a good movie. Save ur money
Adult Written bymarjoriekl August 4, 2015

I did not finish this movie

To start my review, let me be clear that I did not get through more than one-half hour of this film. I was appalled. Within the first couple of minutes (literally, only two or three) there are several uses of the F word, which children participate in. A man smokes a joint. And then a man is shown from behind masturbating with his pants down to show his butt to the camera. His is caught by another man and a short conversation about his activity follows. That's when I turned the TV off. This is not a movie you want to view with your family, believe me. It is very upsetting. This movie's content review needs to be updated immediately.
Parent Written byHotKat August 18, 2016

Terrible - definitely NOT a family comedy to watch with kids!

We borrowed the DVD of this film to watch one rainy day with the kids during the summer holidays. This rainy day arrived today, so we all settled down to treat ourselves with what is advised as a "Comedy" suitable from the ages of 6+. We have a 9- and a 12-year-old, so it seemed appropriate to watch a comedy about (and with the) family. So, in scene 1, there are about half a dozen F-bombs being dropped, from F--K, over f-----g to f---head. Really not okay. But hey, the family in the film have a swear box and discuss cursing, so perhaps this was to make a (albeit very heavy handed) point about it? Unfortunately, the only person that was truly upset by the father's incessant effing and blinding was the daughter, ca. 11 years old, and she was very much belittled by both parents for it. Scene 2 - the father drives his kids to their private Jewish school and makes fun of the Jewish religion (perhaps the director thought it was okay to do that given that the family were obviously Jewish, but come on!) and the rabbis. Very much made all of us uncomfortable. But not as uncomfortable as my husband and I felt when said father starts smoking weed in the school's car park and gets caught by one of the teachers. Ugh! How fun explaining that one when the 12 year old asked us why Jewish people weren't allowed to smoke. Oh, but they are. "So why is he hiding that little cigarette from the teacher?" Thanks for that. The final straw was scene 4 (about 15 mins into the movie) when the father is caught, literally with his pants down in front of a laptop watching..... yes, you got the idea. He's got by the children's grandfather, and this is when we decided that it is distinctly NOT a film suitable for children under 16. We are very cross that the European packaging of the DVD states 6+, and as a result our local library stocked it under "family friendly films". AWFUL.
Adult Written bymarymerkat August 18, 2014

Agreed - Just Not Good

From the first moment, there is almost constant swearing with the parents and young children. There is a beautiful dog everyone complains about. Soon after, a scene with the husband alone with his laptop when his father walks in, just gross. The kids were in a Jewish school and it seemed to me the Jewish religion was not respected in this movie. Besides the acting did not seem genuine. I had to leave after about 25 minutes. Don't waste your money.