Kid reviews for Wish I Was Here

Messy but moving dramedy has mature themes.

Teen, 16 years old Written byHxw.they.jxdge March 20, 2020

Funny at some parts but sad at other

The movie has a lot of raunchy language u might not want your child listening to but really that's the only bad thing in the movie. There is an implied masturbation scene but if you're watching this with a teen, they probs know what that is. Hell they probs do it too. But the scene is only brief. There is drug use In this film which I don't really see as a big deal since it doesn't have a big impact on the movie itself but explaining what weed is to a little kid my be a little hard. Overall it was a great movie with a very sad ending. It was funny at some parts. Just depends on your type of humor.

Kid, 8 years old May 14, 2015

Lackluster, mature drama has lots of drugs, language, alcohol.

My rating:R for racy material, mature content, language throughout, and alcohol and drug use.
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah September 5, 2014

Sometimes cute and sometimes obnoxious.

Confession time: I've never seen Garden State, but maybe that helps me be more objective here. Anyways, I didn't really have any expectations, and in a way, that matches my reaction to the movie. There are some funny bits, but it gets so damn schmaltzy that it becomes self-indulgent, and I didn't really feel that different when it all ended. The humor mostly stems from the actors: Zach Braff here seems to be far better than writing and directing, but the little girl that has the Hit Girl wig was great. The first 30 to 40 minutes are good, but once the movie starts to hammer down its message, it becomes so excessive, and kind of contrived in the process. The earlier parts are just of the family interacting, and that's far more affecting than things like characters getting cancer or reciting poetry over montages. The first act is funny, but it does feel like "First World Problems: The Movie" given how distraught Braff's character is because they have to send their adorable quirky Jewish children to public school, and that he can't quite become a successful actor. The pacing is kind of off; the movie is two hours (while it should be around 90 minutes) and the final 35 minutes drag, but the ending is so abrupt that I thought that the projector skipped or something. The movie isn't that great and probably not even able to achieve the title of "good," but you can tell that it's sincere and isn't cynical at all. It means well and some parts are good, but it just gets too caught up in itself, eventually falling victim to what most writer/director/actor projects, which is getting too self-absorbed. 6.1/10, okay, one thumb down, average, etc.