Parent reviews for Wonder Woman

Engaging, entertaining, empowering superhero adventure.

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byMaria C. June 1, 2017

Thought provoking and compassionate

This was the first superhero movie (12A) that I agreed my son (9) could see. It is a great piece of story telling and is old fashioned in the sense that the director shows restraint and suggests at times more than is depicted on screen. This is really helpful in making it suitable for family viewing as well as being effective artistically. There is an element of romance between the male and female leads but this is handled with gentleness, humour and courteous discretion. Much of the action is set on a World War I battlefield. There is little depiction of blood and gore but there is a muted suggestion of the effects the war is having both on the British soldiers and on local civilians, articulated in a way to promote compassion and understanding. My 9 year old son really enjoyed this. It helped that he already had a good grasp of the scenario in the World War I trenches and a child unfamiliar with this might be shocked. There is some diabolical behaviour on the part of the German villains especially regarding scientific experimentation on humans/ treatment of their own side that my son felt was particularly unpleasant, although the effects were implied rather than explicitly shown. There are a lot of explosions/ fighting/ flashes/ bangs especially towards the end but that seems par for the course for an action movie. We were able to have a really good conversation afterwards about the ideas behind the film.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byJim J. June 8, 2017

Not a family movie

For the first time, I'm disappointed you think this a family movie. There is a fully naked man in one scene, holding his privates. Let's be honest, it doesn't even look like he's covering anything up. Then the part where athey talk about sensuality and a woman doesn't need a man to ... From a female perspective the man at the end does the most heroric thing someone can do. Overall good (not great) movie and strong woman but, not a family movie. To say differently is to stoke the hype.

Adult Written byd s. June 8, 2017

Couldn't ignore

I had to sign up for this site just to respond to the person who made a comment that they were happily surprised that the movie did not propagate a "liberal" agenda proving that women are powerful. Just - yuck. How is showcasing a woman as powerful - a liberal agenda?? What??? And second - why would you be disappointed if the movie DID only just show that women are powerful - you seemed to claim you were pleasantly surprised that there was a love interest - as if all women need some kind of male counterpart to prosper. ick
Parent of a 5 and 15 year old Written byKat F. June 13, 2017

I took my 5 year old

While I rated the review at 8+, as I think many younger viewers would get bored as its a long movie, it was not too violent or inappropriate for "my" 5 year old. The war scenes did not have blood and gore, the fight scenes didn't either. Our daughter enjoys martial arts and parkour, so really enjoyed seeing how these "Amazons", as they are called in the show, handled themselves in practice and one fight scene. There was one scene were the chemist (bad lady) gases someone behind glass and they are yelling, so I covered my girls eyes as I didn't know what would happen. There is no profanity or sex scenes. My daughter enjoyed watching Wonder Woman grow from a young age, about 5-6, and the good message about love. We are typically quite protective about what we let our girls watch at a young age, this was a risk to see together int eh theater, but we have not regrets.

Parent Written byDan G. June 11, 2017

Way too much objectionable content to be recommended for families

The movie romanticizes pre-marital sexual activity as the two main characters irresponsibly sleep together. The male character lets Wonder Woman look at him while he stands fully naked in front of her with no attempt to conceal his genitals. The camera does not go low enough to show his nudity until he later covers himself with his hands. Then there is a discussion about his manhood that is uncomfortable for families to endure. There is quite a bit of violence (expected), though not gory. There is a little bit of bad language as well.

Parent Written byfirelegend June 3, 2017

Excellent, not like a normal PG13 movie

I thought wonder women was excellent, and actually fairly appropriate for kids. It had some slow parts and classic super hero violence (things getting smashed around a lot) but it had a deeper message about war and seeing Wonder Women just go kick butt on her own and not need a full crew or dude to help her, was amazing. No blood, no sex, no cursing. It's def not PG but its more inbetween PG and PG 13. It was very tame for a PG 13 movie. We saw her fight the way we have seen superman and batman do all these years. That part to me was the absolute best. <3 <3 <3 The commercials and previews prior to the movie were far more inappropraite though so be warned if you bring kids be prepared to see sex scenes, dead bodies, and an entire assortment of things I would call inapprprpaite including a preview for Preacher, which Jesse and I have watched and is basically like a Quintin Terantino tv show. Some movie about ladies who do nails which involved money laundering and murder, and then a preview about moms going out to party who kill someone on accident, because thats amazing to normalize. Ick. So if you take your kids, give them your phone during the previews. That icky shit was mixed in with a cute Guardians ride preview, and even a beauty and the beast thing. I want to go scream at regal cinemas now.

Educator and Parent Written byLainie L June 3, 2017

So much more than Feminist Media Hype!

I love comic book movies, but was not expecting more than a liberal biased moving putting down a man's role while showing how a woman deserves to be viewed as a hero. My expectations could not have been more wrong. This movie shows how to praise a woman with the gifts that she has without putting anyone else down. She is a warrior but also one who loves. You can see her sympathy, love of children, and compassion for others. The love interest also uses what he believes to fight for those around him. He is also a warrior and seeing him try to protect this woman that needs no protection is the perfect addition of romance. The fading out after they kiss in a hotel room is all that is needed and it was refreshing to leave it up to imagination instead of the details many movies today show. The message this movie leaves you with is one that society needs to hear. We are not all good. We all have bad in us too. We deserve nothing. We deserve destruction. Even though we deserve destruction and death, we are given love and should show grace and love to others. There are so many biblical parallels in this movie, that it made for a great conversation on the way home. We will always fall short. We are saved by God's love and grace.

Parent Written byNatalie S. June 6, 2017

Empowering for well, everyone!

My 10 year old daughter really wants to see it and so I went with a bunch of friends to check it out first. I would definitely let her watch this. I noticed no swearing (they might have said, "hell.") There is definitely a lot of fighting. But the fighting is . . . more like watching an old Jackie Chan movie. It feels like wonderful choreographed dance routines for the most part. I think most kids will come away amazed by the cool moves they saw, more than graphic violence. They might want to start doing gymnastics or martial arts after this. There were a couple of scenes with the bad guys where they're testing poison gas on victims and in one case, a town. But they didn't show the victims in gory detail as other films have, choosing instead to focus on the main characters' devastation over the atrocity. They focused on the magnitude of the sadness of the act instead of the horrors of war. And then there was another beautiful fight scene where Wonder Woman defeats the bad guys, so somehow it was all ok. I would let my ten year old daughter see this without reservation. She's always been a little emotionally aware and willing to talk about her feelings, so I don't think there would be any trouble for her. If you have sensitive kids who have a hard time verbalizing feelings, maybe wait until 12. As far as sex goes, there was some innuendo, but it was sort of explored from an innocent standpoint, since WW has never encountered men before. Yes, at one point, the main male lead is naked, but that's because he's coming out of a bath. It's treated with humor, and realism and is in no way scandalous or sexy in nature. loved this film.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byAriaNC June 15, 2017

Definitely take your kids, especially your girls, to see this movie.

Yes, there's violence, but there's absolutely no blood or gore associated with it. Yes, there's some romance, but it's not gratuitous. The romance teaches Diana that there is good in humanity when she was starting to have doubts. It all had a point, including the one character getting drunk (all he did was sing in a bar though). Things that could normally be seen as demerits to a movie were done so well in this one that they are outright necessary to the plot. The director been addressed issues that normally bug me, like how can people who've never encountered regular English-speakers know how to speak English? Why are the armor ensembles they wear on the skimpier side? Yes! These are actually addressed and have answers that make sense! And despite the short skirts, Diana is NEVER used as eye-candy. She is used to show strength, and that is absolutely amazing. Now yes, I do recommend this movie for even young kids. The messages of women being strong, not only Diana, but the other Amazons, and even Etta, is one that little girls, and even us adult women, have lacked. Women in superhero movies have been created as sidekicks, support characters, love interests to be saves, or as nothing more than gender-flipped Mae characters. Diana is a hero in her very own right. Seeing her storm No Man's Land has choked up so, so many people who otherwise don't get choked up at movies. That scene really starts to drive home how we have been deprived of such a character, and makes us proud to be women, to finally see that strength very bluntly splashed across the screen. People need saving, and she's not going to hide. This movie is a game-changer, and a life-changer. We need more Wonder Women, and more Patty Jenkenses. The genie is out of the bottle, and there's no point in trying to force it back in. We need more, and if we don't get more, we'll know what we're missing.

Adult Written byMichael S. June 11, 2017

Not empowering for all females

I grew up watching wonder woman and read the comics I am a huge wonder woman fan, I am not a dad to a 11 year old and needless to say I was excited to take my 11 year old daughter to see wonder woman. First of all I can say for a movie that is 2 hours 20 min long it goes by pretty quick however there were a couple of scenes at the beginning that I feel that was totally inappropriate for younger viewers one being Chris Pine Being practically naked and only having his hands covering his personals which did not have to be part of the movie to have any relevance to the storyline. The second part was their "intimate" talk on the boat before they arrived at London. Filled with adult humour but not age appropriate. This took away from the spectacular premise of this movie of being a 5/5 to a 4/5. A father's review.

Parent Written byFanBoyJosh314 June 6, 2017

One of the best superhero movies; probably not for most kids however

So many parent friends of mine – with little girls, especially – have asked me whether this big-screen version of Wonder Woman is suitable for their kids. And the answer, as much as I hate to say it, is: probably not. Not yet, at least. Don’t get me wrong – it’s great. But it’s also extremely violent. The origin story of Diana Prince (a hugely charismatic Gal Gadot), the Amazon warrior who’d become a superhero, is both thrilling and moving. Director Patty Jenkins has pulled off a tricky balance of humor, heart, and high-tech spectacle that’s genuinely inspiring. But Wonder Woman also features several long, graphic action sequences. There’s a ton of gunfire, swordplay, and hand-to-hand combat. Several characters die, and while there isn’t a lot of blood (hence the PG-13 rating), the movie definitely doesn’t shy away from showing the actual deaths. We see people in peril – including women and children — during World War I battles. In one scene, a room full of bad guys perish from poisonous gas. There’s also the suggestion of a sex scene between Diana and Steve Trevor (Chris Pine), the American spy she rescues from a crash landing, but all we see is kissing in a hotel room. At over two hours, Wonder Woman also might be too long for many young viewers. I brought my 10-year-old son with me and he was fine, but he’s also seen a) a lot of movies in general, and b) a lot of comic-book movies specifically. (He also loved it – and he wasn’t so enthusiastic about seeing it beforehand.) But Diana is heroic and brave, idealistic and pure, she’s usually the smartest and most capable person in the room or on the battlefield. That’s all worthwhile. But I suspect this would be too much just yet for viewers younger than 8 or 9.

Adult Written byShadowofchaos41 June 2, 2017

An amazing movie

Great characters, awesome action, exceptional ground breaking, and a great time. My only issue is that there is some pacing issues towards the middle of the film as it starts to drag a bit. But other than that it's perfect. Also the issues and awfulness of World War 1 can be brutal at times

Educator and Parent Written byNZParent June 3, 2017

Great for Tweens and Teens

This film has violence, and graphic war scenes (I talked with my 9 year old about this beforehand, and she coped with it fine). There are some evil characters. But even with this, the positive content far outweighs it. Gal Gadot's Diana is amazing- powerful, strong, brilliant, independent. A great role model for young women.

Adult Written byKhat M. June 20, 2017

Some people affected by violence in scenes

I've read the reviews where people are concerned about sexuality and nudity, which was not our issue at all. After a character is seen speaking then is shot point-blank in the head and after a scene where a man is tortured wearing a gas mask, my child asked to leave. Know that people that are sensitive to images of torture will be affected. The melting and exploding gas mask bothered mine greatly. Great movie though, what we saw.

Parent Written byJoanne S June 17, 2017

Enjoyed it, but probably not great for younger kids

I enjoyed the movie, but parents should know it is a bit violent for younger kids. We took our middle schooler and I was a little uncomfortable with how much violence is in the movie. To be fair though, there is little gore - no blood spurting out or anything graphic, but the movie is set during WW 1 and there's...well...war. There is some mild sexual content and I did get nervous during the movie wondering how far it was going to go, but I was relieved that they handled it well. I see some folks were upset about Chris Pine's practically nude scene, but I didn't think it was upsetting. It's a great movie, but it's rated PG 13 for a reason. Even though I was a little bit uncomfortable with the amount of violence, I ended up being glad we went. My daughter loved it, by the way. I wouldn't take elementary school kiddos to this one, but then again, it's not rated PG, so I suppose it really isn't for that age group anyway. I'm sure we will watch it again when it comes out on DVD.

Adult Written byMaria M. June 8, 2017

Horrible Tripe

I shall yell “TRIPE” whenever tripe is served, and I shall continue to do so as long as Hollywood serves up tripe and sells it as “filet mignon”!!! Horrible movie! Worst acting job I've ever seen…. Most catastrophic casting I've ever seen in my life! Is it a "Wonder" that Marvel is raking in the big bucks, since they obviously KNOW HOW to choose the right people! They couldn't have picked a WORSE person to play Wonder Woman! In fact, they’ve completely ruined the legacy of the Amazon. DC, again, just serving tripe and claiming it's filet mignon! Wonder Woman fans have been teased and starved for SO long by DC, that it's obvious they will eat up anything at this point and think it's the best thing ever. Sad really. You feed a starving dog a bowl of crap, it's gonna gobble it up thinking it's the best food ever! Thats whats going on here! DC has teased and starved WW fans for so long, they think this nauseating attempt at a REAL Wonder Woman is something special, when it's nothing more than tripe, crap, and a huge slap in the face to the Wonder Woman legacy, as well as a kick in the face to REAL Wonder Woman fans! And feminists haven’t had a strong female role model since Sigourney Weaver hit the screen in the Alien saga, so they are ready to take anything they can get in the way of women kicking butt on the screen, even if it is garbage. Completely appalling.

Parent Written byKellie I. June 11, 2017

Great for my 12 year old, will wait for my 7 year old

I loved this movie. Maybe not perfect, but I loved the (literally) strong female characters. This is one I will definitely take my 12 year old daughter to. I have recently started letting her see most PG13 movies, but I still like to review them first. I definitely will wait to share this with my 7 year old. The previews alone were too violent, scary, and sexual for her maturity. Sure I could show her at home and censor out the violence and nakedness, but then that would remove too much of the story. I will just wait until the little one is older and maybe we could watch WW 1-5 by then!

Adult Written byErin M. June 6, 2017

Good movie, but a little dark and violent

I went to go see Wonder Woman with my 60 year old mother. We loved the film over all-- it portrays Diana of Themiscyra (aka Wonder Woman) as a naive princess of the Amazons who leaves her homeland in the hopes of protecting mankind from the Greek God of War. Gal Gadot was a fabulous choice to play the character-- but it's the way she's written that makes me think this film should be for ages 15 and up. Diana is often seen longing for something she doesn't have. After hearing about the World War, Diana is convinced it is the work of Ares, and begs her mother to let her return to the world of man with pilot Steve Trevor, find Ares and stop him. This is definitely not the classic Diana comic lovers know-- she's darker, bolder, edgier. And while that's not necessarily a bad thing (she does still have many values that make her a great role model) it taints the film for me, if only slightly. Don't go into this film as my mom did expecting a happy ending with Diana married to Steve Trevor and/or having a child. You'll be left sorely disappointed as she was.

Adult Written byJoshua H. June 24, 2017
Thank you, writers for keeping it chaste! Steve Trevor tells Diana he won't sleep with ther because they'e not marreid. Take notes, other writers.

Adult Written byJoe J. June 5, 2017

By far best DCEU film yet, and at times spectacular. But first and last half hours were not as strong as rest of film.