Parent reviews for Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Profound, poignant biography of an extraordinary, kind man.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byBTilliso June 29, 2018

Wow! We need more films like this in the world!

Full of love and hope! My 7 year old son loved this film. I would completely recommend this film to any family with children 7 years of age or older. We are a very low media/no media family and we thought this was just perfect for our family. This is only the 3rd movie our child has ever watched in a cinema.

Adult Written byStable_Abel June 26, 2018

Mister Rogers Would Be Proud

I've never seen a documentary that was so delightfully heartfelt in my life. Through this film, you can really get a sense of what a great man Fred Rogers was. I watched his show quite a few times when I was growing up, and now as a teenager, I often think of the lessons he taught us when we were little. This film has come out at just the right time, showing us, the audience, about how just a small amount of kindness can go a long way. That being said, there is mild violence (Bobby Kennedy's assassination), as well as some swearing (both written and verbal). Don't let this deter you from seeing the film, however. If you believe your kids can handle the language, then it is definitely a must see.

Parent Written byRrandoP 3 June 29, 2018

Beautiful film for all ages!

This film is so timely and beautiful! What a wonderful man. We need to see more examples of kind loving men at this time. I took all 4 of my sons to see this film (ages 7 to 14), they were so inspired!

Adult Written byannebk August 12, 2018

Not for children under 16 - violent imagery includes Bobby Kennedy's bloody body

Great for an adult or near-adult - fairly devastating themes for a younger child or tween. At the end of his life, Mr Rogers is depressed and pessimistic whether his vision went anywhere, he is also overwhelmed by world events and evil. People in the film suggest he couldn't have even handled the world today. Also in the film, his wife recalls that on his deathbed, he wondered whether G-d would love him. He never really healed his inner child, despite helping so many children. Anyone with children should know it shows sensationalistic violence such as Bobby Kennedy's face after being shot, the Challenger being blown up and children on 911 being rush to ambulance. I can't believe that we have become so inured to violence that no one reviewing it here seems to mention that. It's PG-13 for a reason!! Don't take children.

Parent Written byDan G. July 18, 2018

Generally positive, but some things should give parents pause for children

The CSM review does a good job of describing the positive things about this movie. However, the MPAA believes that there is content that should give parents of children under 13 pause, and I found this to be true. This is a very serious movie that broaches the very serious topics of death, racism, and homosexuality, items that generally do not make good family fare.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written by6thgraderoxmom July 6, 2018

Low-screen time family loved this movie

I took my whole family to see this movie. This was my kids' third cinema experience. We watch very few movies, so I was a little concerned about the PG-13 rating, but my kids loved the movie and I was not concerned about any inappropriate content. My husband was a little unhappy about the breif nudity (it shows a photograph of a man's bare backside) but we are not a family who is particularly zealous about modesty and have open and frank discussons about bodies and body issues, so my kids were not at all disturbed by this. They both left the theater talking about what love looks like in movies and tv, and they agreed that listening was the key, something Fred Rogers was clearly very good at. I can't stop thinking about the movie, to be honest. I can't wait to see it again and I think my kids would agree. One downside, not about the movie itself, but about the cinema experience was the ads and previews, both of which were far too scary for my kids. We had them close their eyes during most of the previews, which they were eager to comply with as they didn't want to be scared! So if you bring your young kids, especially if your kids don't watch a lot of movies, get there a little late to skip the previews!

Adult Written byMildredmarx July 8, 2018

The best!

"Won't You Be My Neighbor" is incredible. I think other kids would like it because it shows you what Mr. Rogers Neighborhood is like behind the camera. Mr. Rogers knows everybody's problems and he helps kids by listening to them. Even if you've never seen his shows, you would still like it. - Child, Age 8

Adult Written byMrDollars July 23, 2018

Great, however many things kids may not understand

This documentary was so heartwarming. However, i think it is for 8 and up considering lots of things kids may not understand. It is a great documentary and will make you cry.

Adult Written byRoseanne P. September 30, 2018

A reminder of what our generation should be

I grew up watching Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood and many of the PBS children's programs. The movie gives an in-depth view of who Fred Rogers was and what he thought children needed. This one man went up against congress during the Nixon administration and by simply reading the words of one the songs from his program, he managed to un-harden the hearts of a senator who wanted to cut funding for PBS and won 20 million dollars! It is a movie that showcases Fred Roger's philosophy of love, acceptance, tolerance that my generation learned from him but have failed to implement in this day and age. We could all learn a lot from spending a little time in his neighborhood for a couple of hours.

Adult Written bykbylsma July 28, 2018

What we ALL need

In a culture of negativity and skepticism, this movie is a must to share the what is truly important, especially for kids. Stay focused on what we have in common and not what divides us.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byClaudia1111 September 24, 2018

Very good movie

I think it very good for children 11+

Adult Written bymoviefan1980s July 27, 2018

A very amazing documentary film.

I grew up watching a wonderful PBS children’s show called “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood”, since I was a baby, and “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” is a really powerful and outstanding documentary film. Directed by Morgan Neville, it follows the life and times of Fred Rogers, an inspirational and compassionate gentleman who was a children’s television pioneer. Its themes include race relations, tolerance, kindness, and sincerity. Plus, it features interviews with Fred's family, consisting of his wife and his sons, and his friends, such as famed cellist Yo-Yo Ma and some of the stars of his popular TV show, including Francois Clemmons, David Newell (known for playing Mr. McFeely), and Joe Negri. The scene that features a clip of Rogers defending at a 1969 congressional hearing successfully is extremely memorable, as it emphasizes the importance of PBS. Even though it features at least one inappropriate scene, "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" is a film that should be seen by everybody, regardless if they have watched “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” or not. Very amazing.