Parent reviews for Wreck-It Ralph

Game-themed movie mixes potty humor with strong messages.

Parent Written byKarmaCat November 4, 2012

Great for adults and older kids... not so much for the wee ones.

Let me start my review by stating that my household is big-time into video games, both modern and old school. I took my kids to this movie because I knew they would love seeing Q-Bert, Pac Man, Sonic, etc. and would get a kick out of the video game setting for the storyline. And the beginning of the movie was great. We were all laughing and thoroughly enamored with the storyline. They've created some really likeable characters in really clever scenes. It was great. Then the movie suddenly became incredibly violent. As in, in-your-face, really-scary, larger-than-life violent. And it wasn't just the man-eating alien bugs and the machine guns blasting repeatedly in the screen. Characters also were hitting each other, treating each other terribly, and destroying the things that made others happy. At about this point, my 6-year-old had a total meltdown and had to be taken out of the theater. We tried bringing him back later, but that only lasted about two minutes before he was terrified and crying inconsolably again. He had to leave for good at that point, which was a good thing because it only got worse after he left. The 7-year-old next to us started crying at that point and begged his mom to let him go home. Some of the parts that were particularly upsetting: massive machine gun attacks, Ralph smashing up Vanellope's beloved racecar while she cried and screamed at him begging him to stop, the buxom blonde machine gun woman beating the @#$% out of Felix while the candy vines laughed (she actually knocked out his teeth), a giant alien insect crashing through a glass window and murdering a groom at the altar on his wedding day, King Candy holding Ralph's head and telling him he was going to force him to watch while his best friend died... And the big screen made all of these scenes rather intense. The smaller kids just couldn't handle it. Now, my 8-year-old was better equipped to deal with the intensity of these scenes and ended up really enjoying the movie--which truly did have a great message at the end. And from an adult perspective, I loved it. I even cried at the end! So for grown-ups and older kids, I'd definitely give it a thumbs up. But I kind of wish I hadn't wasted the money and traumatized my younger child by bringing him to this particular movie. If you have younger kids--especially if they are sensitive to violence and characters treating one another unkindly--you may be better off waiting until this one is out on DVD so that you can watch it at home without the intensity of the movie theater, and where you can just turn it off if it becomes too overwhelming.

Parent Written byPDXSherri November 2, 2012

Bummer...

Save your money... not worth it! Very violent. The message is there but so saturated with violence - it is lost.

Adult Written byDr.Pepper November 4, 2012

One of Disney's best!

This was a great movie, but it does contain some violence and intense scenes. There is a very dramatic part when that involved a young child's dreams being shattered. Also the climax is can be very frightening to young children (I honestly believe it is going to go down as one of scariest Disney villains). There are many references to name brand candy but most of it was in jokes. A Subway cup is clearly visible.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byS.Wolf November 4, 2012

regrettable

if you want jane lynch do punch you in the face and call you a "pussywillow" this is the film for you.... tons of violence and inappropriate language, strongly regretted taking a 6 yr old to see it. strong beginning but it quickly unravelled into an inappropriate mess.

Parent of a 9 year old Written bylisadee November 11, 2012

Review by 9 year old girl

I saw Wreck it Ralph today and i thought it was very scary. for example a man ripped a zombies heart out to prove he was a bad guy . some other things that were scary were man eating bugs and some of the characters. there was bad language such as maniac, idiotic and hate. venelope (a character) also had a virus that was scary.there was also hitting and kissing.and on top of that a king told ralph he would watch his friend die. over all i would say wait until your children are at least 12 to see this film.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byleeshalou November 3, 2012

For older kids!!

Good movie but violent, scarey and has disturbing scenes. My 6 yr old son was scared at several parts. *SPOILER - one of the most disturbing parts was when a bad guy/mechanical spider cyborg holds Ralphs head up and says he's going to make him watch the little girl die. HORRIBLE. There are several other very disturbing scenes. I would absolutely recommend this for older kids.

Parent Written byDan G. February 28, 2013

The crude humor spoils this as a movie for younger children

The humor is ruder than it needs to be, and spoils this as a movie for younger children. Otherwise it is a good movie, best suited for tween and up.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bydulpurp November 29, 2012

NOT for the little ones. Not sure WHO it's for.

Look for the review from "courtwork". Generally speaking I feel like we're so anesthetized by the onslaught of sensory data in today's world that by the time you get your kids into the movie theater and into their seats, you're relieved to just be able to sit for a couple of hours. If the kid doesn't start screaming in terror, it's a good movie. "Wreck-It Ralph" had a lot going for it in my mind, with a "Toy Story"-like conceit where inanimate characters (video game characters this time, not toys) have a secret life of their own when the humans aren't watching. But whereas "Toy Story" has real appeal and is instantly relatable, this movie is an off-kilter mess almost right away. Intense, wide-spread moral ambiguity and situations incomprehensible to a kid, on top of the threatening first-person-shooter violence and abusive talk, frightening situations, nightmarish images (alien bugs, king candy after being eaten, ralph as swamp-monster, a zombie's beating heart being ripped out of his chest), and on and on. Even my 6-year-old was baffled by the moral confusion of Venelope's game, with the computer code reprogramming plot point. [BTW, Everyone in the arcade knew about "Going Turbo", so why didn't anyone notice when the main character from "Sugar Rush" disappeared for years and a new "King" was in charge?] There's no lesson to be taught from Ralph's plight, the inner life of these characters isn't written well enough to go much beyond the "am I a good guy or a bad guy?" question. And the 12-step program format for bad guys? Ugh. Remember the "Toy Story" short film where Buzz happened upon a 12-step meeting of cast-off happy meal toys? It was already a tired idea then.... Young kids will sit through this, maybe, but anyone who thinks it's doing them any good isn't looking closely enough. At least PLAYING a video game involves hand-eye coordination. This movie is for older kids and grownups who are old enough to understand what's going on.

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bymelisapmunoz November 16, 2012

Quite Enjoyable!

I saw this movie with my 10-year-old son and 8-year old daughter. We all enjoyed it so much, that my son announced that it was his favorite 'kid's movie.' I loved the message it gave about being inclusive. The only aspect that really bothered me was some of the language. It wasn't 'bad' language, just a little 'raw'. (i.e. duty/doody) The kids thought it was funny, of course. Another red flag was the consumerism inbedded throughout the movie. In one scene, we see a Subway cup. But since my kids and I are studying hidden/subliminal messages in the media, this scene was a great example for our discussion. Overall though, the movie was very great!.

Parent Written byGammaMoses November 5, 2012

Loud and stupid

Took two 8-yr old boys who sat through the movie expressionless. The movie was loud and, as advertised, based on video game characters. The story line doesn't really develop til 3/4's through the movie. The boys didn't seem engaged. They seemed to be overcome with the loudness and the busyness of the activity on the screen. Not the best movie I've seen with kids because of the stupidity of the action going on. Boys spent about 1 minute talking about the movie on the ride home. There wasn't much to talk about. Waste of time and money. Ralph becomes a good guy, but a good guy that is resigned to not changing his role in life.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bydnpseattle November 17, 2012

Good story requiring some knowledge of video gaming, sometimes intense and scary

*** NOTE: There are some story details below (light spoilers), so read on with that in mind. *** If your kids have little to no background with video games (like mine), some of the game dynamics and rules we 'older' folks take for granted, they might have a little trouble making sense of things at first. Most of the games my girls play on the iPad are educational games. My kids had no idea what a "glitch" was and what all the talk about "code" was about. This took some rushed and hushed whispering in the movie theater (much to the chagrin of folks sitting next to us). There is one scene which made it easier to explain this: Vanellope is made fun of by the other racers for having a glitch -- being different -- and never being able to amount to anything and be a racer. They bully her and destroy something precious to her. This made my 5 year-old rather anxious and tense. This was a good opportunity to talk about how people might treat folks who are a little different (i.e. have a disability, look different, come from a different country, etc.). There were some scary and intense scenes requiring some hand-holding: 1) when the characters enter the "Hero's Duty" game, there is a lot of gun violence (fighting some pretty nasty bugs). Lot's of dark scenes with things (and bugs) exploding. For kids who have never played any shooting games, this was pretty intense. Luckily, it's short, but the nasty bugs come up again and again in the movie. 2) Ralph is tricked by the Candy King into "helping" Vanellope by preventing her from racing in the big race. It's a believable lie and Ralph falls for it and destroys her chance of entering the race by wrecking the car they built together. This was an emotionally intense scene for my younger daughter. It was hard for her to process this action. Overall, I liked this movie. The violence was a bit over-the-top in cases (as already overed in the other reviews) and caught me off-gaurd. I wasn't too bothered by the potty humor (and thought it was pretty tame). My 6 year-old liked it, too, but I think a lot of the story was lost on her. My 8 year-old loved the movie. On the downside, it has ignited an interest in certain types of video games which we had been avoiding.

Parent Written bymommareview October 8, 2013

Not for young children

It's really geared more towards old video game references that only 80's and 90's kids would get. Spoilers below. The thing that gets me is what business does a 30 year old man (age stated in the movie) have business getting to know a little girl? It is okay to talk to strangers? They also talk about how being bad is good, to just be you. To us this concept is funny, to a child it means something. They refortify the idea and the end when he plunges down to kill himself in order to save Candy Crush. "I am bad, and that is good". We understand the social/emotional complexities of this plot line better than an innocent child does. I would not show this to kids in their formative years. It needs to be seen by older kids. I enjoyed it because I could appreciate the video game references, sarcasm, and satire. You really can't always shelter kids, but I just don't want him to grow up with the wrong ideas because he learned them at his core from an early age. I would proceed with caution. Know what you can and cannot talk to your child about. You need to understand that children do see the details, and worse off, they do not understand them.
Parent Written bytwinkies2004 March 9, 2013

boo

Way to violent and scary. All the other messages are lost in a barrage of guns, violence and creepy over load. Terminator and Alien themes galore.

Adult Written bydomolo123 November 12, 2012

Do you like poop jokes and loud gun scenes? If so, you'll LOVE this movie!

My kids (5 and 9) walked out of this movie mildly pleased. They did not hate it. I on the other hand did not enjoy it for the following reasons: * too much potty humor - your kids will leave with plenty of new names to call each other at home and school * a LOT of loud and violent (shooting) scenes - one of the character's husbands is killed at her wedding and she keeps having flashbacks to that scene throughout the movie * not very funny - usually my kids will have a few good laughing spells during a Disney movie, not the case with this move; it was very intense * a few mean hearted/sad scenes - I realize that movies need bad guys and wrong turns to make a plot but this movie included a lot of teasing and ganging up on characters * When we saw movies like Brave and Toy Story, I walked away feeling like my kids had have picked up on some great messages in those stories. I did not feel that way about this movie. My immediate thought when I left the movie was how many minutes would pass before my son made a poop joke. (as if he needs any fuel added to that fire) ;) I give this movie a thumbs down for my family. I think this movie might be a dream come true for an older (8 or 9 year old) boy.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bytmn May 18, 2013

Fun family movie

Cute movie! My 3 year old nephew and my 5 year old daughter loved this movie. Nothing too scary or risque. My husband and I really enjoyed it too.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byKatrina_ November 14, 2012

creepy and terrifying

I thought this was a movie set in an old-school video game, but there is a new game mixed into the world with big guns, and scary bugs the multiply like a virus and threaten to wipe out the whole population and a creepy and out-of-control/insane villain. My 7 year-old boy was really upset and out of sorts for the rest of the day. My 8 Year-old seemed nonplussed, but it just doesn't have any really redeemable qualities, so I don't recommend it for anyone.

Parent of a 13 year old Written bybenito jug November 6, 2012

horrible

worst movie i have ever seen
Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

great movie!

Amazing with a capital A!

Educational Value
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bybabytrainreading November 4, 2012

Watchable, good message, well made.

Written byAnonymous April 19, 2015