All parent member reviews for Zombieland

Adult Written byBBQ1113 July 13, 2010

Cool movie, I saw it when having lunch. Not so disgusting, instead, the black humor interests me very much.
Adult Written byMovie Man October 3, 2009

Horiffically Hilarious! Fun, Funny, and Scary!

This is a great, original comedy. It made me laugh out-loud many times. But it was VERY scary with lots of zombie violence and gore, the type you'd see in 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead. If you've seen Shaun of the Dead you'll get an idea of what this is like: hilarious, but scary and graphically gory. PARENTS: kids will be freaked out by some jump scenes and a zombie clown (I'm not even afriad of clowns and it scared the crud out of me)! Very gory, almost gruesomely so, but very funny. If you can handle lots of graphic gore and a zombie clown (who doesn't show up for very long; only one scene, but it's freaky), then you should enjoy this awesome comedy. Thanks for reading - Movie Man.
Adult Written byCommanderC October 15, 2009

Violent, But Funny

This is a know your kids situation. Yes, it is a bit violent and gory, but it is counterbalanced by its hilarity. Personally, I loved it, but this is not a movie that you can take your kids along to if you can't find a babysitter.
Adult Written byQ81 October 12, 2009

Good, but maturity required.

As you will probably pick up from other reviews, this movie is more of a comedy than anything else. Bottom line, I loved it. Going in I didn't think I would, but I was pleasently surprised. Violence and language are obious concerns in this movie, but in comparison to similar movies, this one is surprisingly tame. Sexual hints and coments are made periodicly throughout, mostly with the humor, and are generaly mild. The only major concern is in the opening sequnce as a topless female zombie chases after her soon-to-be lunch. Aparenly her nipples are covered (I didn't look long enough to tell for sure) but for me, it was more than I wanted to see (especially bowncing in slow motion). It lasts for about ten to twenty seconds, and is part of the opening credits, so you won't miss anything important by simply averting your eyes. The product placement is overt and over the top, but to the point that the movie is making fun of the practice. However, I did feel like finding a twinkie after the movie, so maybe it worked. Anyway, I think the movie does have some positive messages about life dispite all of the rediculousness. One of my favorites was to "Take time to appreciate the small joys in life." All in all, it was a movie I will recomend to my friends and family, but there is a degree of maturity needed to handle some of the material. Solid 4 stars!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byHatondog January 7, 2010

Teenage boys would love it.

I had doubts about this movie, as I don't see much value in any horror movies. But we were stuck in a hotel room and this was the only movie we hadn't seen, so...I needn't have worried. The zombies and violence wreaked on them was so cartoonish that only the most squeamish or immature kid would take it seriously. Think "Thriller", but with less believable zombies, and blood less realistic than you'd find in a Halloween costume store. Woody Harrelson did his usual funny psychotic thing, and the rest was a mishmash of teenage coming of age stuff, done lite. Not great, not bad.
Adult Written bykelseylucas May 6, 2015

The Former Child's Review of Zombieland

When I was a child I would beg my parents to let me watch inappropriate movies similar to this one. This movie is amazing but I may have seen it too early. However, it may have helped me to get over my fear of zombies. It is incredibly funny and Tallahassee's devotion to Twinkies is a beautiful love story of its own.
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byMommaOfTwoo July 25, 2014

loved it!

I thought that this movie, while violent, was hilarious! It's obviously not a movie for children, use some common sense people.
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 October 12, 2012

Zombieland=Fun!

Zombieland is great fun! The mix of over-the-top horror violence and rich, (if sometimes inappropriate) comedy is irresistible! The story follows the geeky Columbus, who wishes to start a family in California, a supposedly zombie uninhabited place. Along the way, he teams up with a wild rough-and-tumble Tallahassee, the feminine yet tough Wichita, and the twelve year old girl Little Rock, all with destinations of their own. When Columbus discovers that his destination was burned down, he has nothing left to lose. Together, they go to Los Angeles, seeking out a zombie-free amusement park that Wichita and Little Rock were originally seeking. Violence: 9/10 Zombies graphically kill (a zombie eats out a woman's leg muscles) so in turn, they're graphically killed. (a zombie's head is cut off offscreen.) A zombie's leg is slammed in a door. Zombies eat people, vomit blood and unknown substances, chase main characters, and more. Quite a few jump scenes. Innocents are eaten and killed in many ways. Language: 10/10 F***, C**k, B****, B******, A**, D**k, D**n, H***, Sh**, Sucks, Crap, Piss, and more. Sex: 4/10 Is discussed and referenced to. A girl cuddles with a boy and falls asleep. (She turns into a zombie when he wakes up! Gasp!) A passionate kiss or two. Not bad, considering the R rating. MPAA Official Rating: Rated R for horror violence/gore and language.
Adult Written bycommin August 13, 2012

Woody Harrelson, The Twinkie Loving Wildman

Hello CSM. For this review, me and my dad will write it together since I'm going to college tomorrow:(. Anyway, here it is. First is my dad. This is a very entertaining and well made film. Four very different people fight to retain their integrity and human-ness in the face of a world that is falling apart with the greater part of the population affected by Zombies. The bleak landscape includes highways lined with abandoned cars and vandalized grocery stores. The initial attraction of Bill Murray's gaudy mansion becomes less attractive to the main characters as they attempt to pursue a life rooted in reality. It doesn't happen. And now here is my review, To be honest, Zombieland was one of the greatest movies i've ever seen. Woody Harrelson, Really funny. But Jesse Eisenberg, Funny as hell! It was a pretty funny horror comedy. I Didn't even know those were real! The language is frequent. But the violence is almost constant. There are brief sex moments but ok. There is a 12 year girl (abigail benson) knows how to use a gun. However, It all goes out as a hilarious movie. Thank you for reading.
Parent Written bymommy2therescue May 26, 2012

good for kids

it is a great family horror movie
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Zombieland

good zombie intence movie, good plot!
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 15, 2011

Very gory, but very funny!

My MPAA rating: R for strong bloody zombie violence throughout, and for some strong language.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byTheRightGuy101 August 21, 2011

Outstanding zombie movie!

My son and I went to see this at the cinema and we thought it was both Action and Comedy but not stupid comedy. The F word is used currently but not really, really bad. No sex scenes, a brief " You wanna f**k her don't you?" but it does not stand out. The Action is awesome but not over whelming and the comedy is just right. The perfect movie for all 13-year-old boys who love their crude zombie movies! 5/5
Parent Written bykingcal102 August 2, 2011

let your kid have it

possibly the best zombie comedy of all time i have it and its great. if you wont let your kid have it here's the basic story the world gets a plague that turns everyone into zombies 4 people survive this is a tale of survival, bravery and zombies (obviously!)
Parent Written byWELDADJ June 7, 2011

Great Horror/Comedy-NOT for young teens

My MPAA Rating: Rated R for Graphic Horror Violence, Intense Sequences of Gore, Strong Language, and brief sexual content
Adult Written bymovie master February 22, 2011

loved it
Parent of a 11 year old Written byangelbaby323 November 16, 2010

Love this movie. It's not scary at all, very funny and Woody Harrelson is great. I let my 11 year old watch it and she loved it. This is the only zombie movie I'd let her watch because it's satirical and I knew she wouldn't get scared or take it seriously.
Parent Written bythepedens October 31, 2010

very gory, but mixed with humor so ironically softens the gore and language
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTheGman447 October 25, 2010

Great Movie, But real Gory!

Great movie, just really gory. I say it should go for older teens. pretty funny move!
Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 6, 2010

Flippant, Dark, and Violent, but Kind of Clever

First off, if you think your young teens aren't going to see this, you are wrong. I had students writing about this movie in essays when I was student teaching. Is it neglectful parenting, or will finding a way? This movie has become a small part of teen culture and I think mature enough teens should be allowed to see it for that reason alone. Zombieland is a dark, flippant take on the notion of a zombie apocalypse. It concerns shut-in Columbus, who survived the Zombie Apocalypse by being a polite sort of heartless. He ends up teaming up with Tallahassee, wild man who takes pleasure in two things: killing zombies in the most violent way possible, and twinkies. Then they meet up with Wichita and Little Rock, who are trying to get to Pacific Playland, where they hear there are no zombies. For various reasons, these four survivors adventure through the landscape, swearing, committing some inappropriate acts of violence, and indulging in various chemicals as they go. The violence is almost all committed against zombies, but at least once an actual survivor is mistaken for a zombie and killed. His death is treated rather lightly. That, and the marijuana use, are really the most objectionable parts of the movie. One thing I like about the movie is its balanced look at consumerism. Brands and product placement are prominent, yes, but in some ways the movie is about life without a society that demands those brands. All these leftover consumer goods suddenly become useless except the ones that can be eaten and fresh food--even fresh processed food--is becoming a concern. The movie shows just how much we depend on consumer culture and has some plot twists that show just how dangerous pursuing those pleasures in light of more pressing concerns can be. I'm also impressed with how the movie redeems four characters who seem to have no interest in other people, weaving them into a strange little family united by grief and a will to survive. For a flippant black comedy, this movie has some great messages. I just wish they'd handle the impact of death a little better. And one last thing--aside from a few character's big mouths and the odd half-naked zombie, the sexual content here is relatively downplayed, and it is implied that Columbus wants a relationship more than sex but is so afraid of other people that he'll only pursue the latter. Given how many teen movies portray men as wanting nothing but sex, I think Columbus' attitudes are kind of refreshing.