Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion January 29, 2011

NO KIDS!

Don't get me wrong. 24 is an extremely intelligent, addicting, well-written, and well-acted show. Though it can get very repetative, it is consistently moving and engaging. However, it is an adults-only program that has extreme violence and other graphic content. Going into this show, I thought that its TV-14 rating would be the equivalent of a PG-13. Far from it. The show's graphic content is hard R rated, and I would rather my kids watch certain R-rated movies than this show. Please note, however, that I haven't seen every episode of the show, so the content listed should be considered a minimum. The show's violence is consistently bloody, graphic, and disturbing. People are shot in every imaginable area of the body with spurting or spraying gore. Also, people are stabbed, exploded, or electrocuted graphically. Dead bodies made gorey with disease are shown. Jack Bauer uses common-place items like books and pens to fight people and often kill them. Main characters with whom the audience sympathizes are frequently killed brutally entirely on-screen. Rape and sexual assault are never shown, but sometimes implied and spoken about. Jack has to resort to gruesome measures to get the information he needs, including digging into people's deceased bodies with his bare hands (squirting blood is seen). Torture is also a main point of the show. Though the show's star, Kiefer Sutherland, is very anti-torture off-screen, the act of torture is never looked down upon in the actual series. People are shot, injected with chemicals, beaten within an inch of their lives, and dismembered (all on-screen) in order to get info. Several people's families (including children) are killed before their eyes. All of these actions are done by authority figures in the government. Sex is limited to brief implied trysts or flashes of skin (never any explicit nudity). Some extra-marital affairs are spoken about, sometimes quite frankly. "D**n" and "SOB" are used almost constantly, but that's the extent of language. The series also has the R-rated equivalency of drug use. We see people (including Jack) do drugs very graphically and disturbingly. One lady, dressed as a prostitute, is shown nearly nude in a disheveled room, injecting heroin into her foot veins while laughing hysterically (due to being high). Now, this content alone probably wouldn't get an "off" rating if it weren't for the messages that accompanied it. Though the show features many positive aspects, like sacrifice and bravery, the main message of the series seems to be "no one is incorruptible." Even squeaky-clean characters resort to violence and blackmail in order to get their way, and often get away with it. Jack Bauer keeps no one alive, and leaves a monumental body trail wherever he goes. The movie almost seems to promote the violence and torture it contains. All in all, this is a good show for adults only. It will only give bad messages to kids. I have no idea how it evaded a TV-MA rating. PLEASE NOTE: The series gets more graphic and violent as it goes on, but once kids start season 1, they won't want to stop due to the show's addictive nature.
Adult Written byGermanshepard17 August 8, 2014

Not at all inappropriate, nothing website makes it seem like

I am a parent of three children, ages 9, 12, and 13. My family and I watch this show together all the time (except the nine-year old) and it is a great family experience. There is not nearly as much violence as this website makes it seem, and rarely any torture. As for sexual content, none!!! This is a great TV show and it is no worse than an average pg-13 show.
Adult Written byinittowinit April 9, 2008

TV's best show

Don't call me on Monday night, leave a voicemail. Yes, 24 is addictive. I like the show because it highlights super hi-tech competency (I'm a techie) and because anyone, even hero Jack, can die at any moment. The terrorists are always scary, but even scarier is when Jack faces corruption on the American side while trying to stop the nuclear nerve gas bomb from wiping out California. What do you do when the President of the U.S. is in cahoots with the terrorists? Take a valium!
Adult Written bydeschanel April 9, 2008

Addictive...

I've watched the show on A&E to catch up. It's a very good show! I can describe the show in one line. Addictive.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byGDAtwood February 11, 2010

Horrendous; over-the-top gratuitous display of violence.

Hate it. I watched it for a season and a half until the violence--particularly the portrayal of torture as an appropriate option--crossed the line into gratuitous pandering to the viewers' worst instincts. Pass on this one, no matter how riveting.
Adult Written byCAllen0804 November 23, 2008
Adult Written bysimpsonssaydoh2 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLowe's man March 24, 2015

for adults and mature teens 15 and up

Parents will want to evaluate the maturity and judgment levels of their teens 15 and up before letting them watch it (and should not let those 14 and under watch at all), as Jack Bauer is involved in a lot of morally ambiguous situations. Some of Jack's decisions are not the best decisions, yet he has to make a lot of split second decisions. People who have certain kinds of jobs in real life, such as police officers and security guards, have to make a lot of split second decisions in real life (though hopefully none as extreme as what Jack Bauer faces), something parents will want to talk about if they choose to let their teens watch 24. Parents will also want to tell their teens that the rest of us will never have to make the kinds of decisions in real life that Jack Bauer makes, but on occasion must make split second decisions. A great opportunity to discuss the difference between Jack Bauer's split second decisions and the ones we must make in real life. Also, while Jack Bauer's decisions are often questionable and sometimes not right, his intentions are good. A great opportunity for parents to tell their teens the difference between intentions and actual behavior.
Parent of a 2, 7, and 14 year old Written byducknboo November 1, 2009

Perfect for action lovers, but not for tweens and below

Parents, the review is correct - this series is addictive. My wife and I jokingly call it the "meth of tv shows". We are "catching up" on viewing by watching the DVD sets, and find that we are often watching 4 episodes at a time. The show definitely has a lot of violence and adult-themed situations, where choices have to be made that are not always the safest, but believed to best for all concerned. And because parents have different attitudes towards some of this type of material as it relates to their own children, we would recommend that they watch it themselves first, before making a decision about whether their children should see it.
Adult Written byChris LP January 4, 2009

One of the best cop dramas out there!!

Adult Written byprisonbreaker April 9, 2008

I LOVE 24!

beepbeep......beepbeep....beepbeeb
Parent Written byfirstavenger11 February 12, 2012

Parent of a 4, 8, 11, 12, 18+, and 18+ year old Written byTreythetired April 8, 2011

Perfezionare!

I love it so much, Yes, It may contain terrorism, but it is great. Jack can sometimes be a good role model, at other times, he isn't. I can't say there's anything else that's inappropriate about it. Check it out yourself, see what you think!
Adult Written byBroncosdude September 17, 2012

Great show

This show is about Jack Bauer an agent for the counter terrorist unit. The show is isn't that bad. There's violence and some cursing but no sex. The show it self is great. A great story and very entertaining.
Parent of a 9, 13, and 15 year old Written byfriend of toodleloo January 7, 2011

This is an Adult Show. Not for kids at all.

My husband and I watched all 8 seasons of 24. We really liked them. Hubby absolutely LOVED them! Actually, I did too, but they got more violent as time went on so it bothered me more. I don't think it is appropriate for kids at all. Any ages. Murder, shooting, drug use, Blood, torture, etc. etc. Season 8 is by far the most goriest---mostly the first half of the season. I don't recommend it for anyone not an adult. My hubby and I would gather with another couple and watch it each week. It was a fun experience.
Adult Written byThatKrazyGuy March 29, 2010

An Action Classic!

24 is rated TV-14 for terrorist themes, strong violence, gore, mild language, and occasional strong sexual content.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bytungster June 17, 2013

Thrilling but totally inappropriate for kids under 16

When my older son was doing a Father's Day project at daycare (when he was just three years old), he answered "Jack Bauer" when asked for Daddy's favorite TV show. I'm not proud that he knew about "24" even back then, although fortunately all he knew then was that Jack Bauer was the main character of the show. Anyway, "24" indeed is my all-time favorite TV show, but I would say that it is totally inappropriate for kids under 16. At least, that's the age threshold in our house. Apart from the first and last seasons, which dealt with threats of assassination of a political leaders, the remaining six seasons of "24" all involve nuclear, chemical, or biological terrorism. Innocent people die, often horribly so, and in his efforts to fight the terrorism threat, Agent Bauer ruthlessly assaults, tortures, maims, and/or kills those deemed culpable. He's not a sadist -- typically, just before torturing a terrorist, he'll say, "Don't make me do this" -- but he nevertheless carries out his threats. The show is essentially a season-long "ticking time bomb" scenario (i.e., is torture justified if it's being used to find out where a bomb has been hidden, in order to save thousands/millions of people?), and I suppose could provide some fruitful discussions of whether the ends justify the means in such apocalyptic circumstances. The problem is that the show stacks the deck in favor of Bauer, by giving the viewer so much certainty that the targets are indeed terrorists, and that they will respond to torture (and only to torture). That said, this show is incredibly addicting. Every episode ends in a cliffhanger, and on DVD or streaming, you might easily find yourself falling victim to "just one more episode . . . ." syndrome. I did find that watching these on DVD while using the treadmill was pretty awesome; it made me come back again and again.
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 November 27, 2009

not for young the ones

The best show ever though. Love it
Adult Written byCharliePATpk April 9, 2008

WWJBD: What would Jack Bauer Do?

Jack Bauer is a man who seems always to be in a moral bind: does he do what is most expedient and best for the immediate circumstance (often breaking the law in the process), or does he stand back and let matters develop, possibly risking many lives in the process? Jack takes the first choice, and while some may argue he is no better than the foes he's fighting, I think it is decisions such as these that people who wear a uniform face more often than anyone cares to acknowledge. This is Hollywood, and Jack's decision always work out for the greater good, but often at a price he suffers when he, his family or friends are involved. While some kids may like the frequent gun play or car chases, the stories are definitely not for the young. Violence against men and women is often potrayed (i.e.: good guys and bad are shown being tortured). Terrorist activities that affect whole cities are the benchmark of the story lines. Watch one episode, and you'll be hooked; the writing is that compelling.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Excellent Show

Excellent Series! Refreshing to have a show that actually shows how people can stand-up for the USA and not just tear it down..