Parent reviews for Adventure Time

Original, if nonsensical, hilarity; expect minor weapons.

Adult Written byOnamar May 7, 2010

It's rated PG you know

To all the other parents complaining about the content of this show, I have one thing to say: The show itself gives you fair warning. It's rated TV-PG, and the rating fills the ENTIRE SCREEN right before the show starts.

And about "lump" I hope you're aware that Spongebob has been using words in place of swears for the past 10 years. (Barnacles, Tartar Sauce, Fish Paste, etc) Honestly, your kids probably hear much worse words than "sucks" or "frickin" at school. I know my son definitely has heard worse at school.. It's a fun show, much better than other shows on Cartoon Network like Total Drama Island or Johnny Test, which are just endless strings of fart jokes and crude humor. Looney Toons is filled with violence, Flapjack is much scarier than this show, most cartoons that are on these days are filled with fart jokes and brainless "humor." This is one of the best and most fun cartoons to come out since Chowder, honestly if you don't let your kids watch this, then they're missing out.

Adult Written byrealistrach July 5, 2011

Get a grip!

I watch this show and Regular Show with my 5 year old all the time. I don't see the problem, my son is quite aware of what he is and is not allowed to say and there has been no problem with him using profanity of any kind ever. Both shows are really very funny, people get too wound up these days, stop policing cartoons and instead parent your children properly! Cartoons have always been notorious for edgy humour, that would be what makes them fun! Far rather these shows than the plastic, unadulterated DROSS that spews forth from the disney corporation. At least these shows have humour and imagination.

Parent Written byFeistyboysmama77 June 29, 2013

I'm no prude, but I don't believe in showing my small child sex jokes.

My husband and I actually love Adventure Time - for our own viewing. We won't let our seven-year-old watch it. The violence, in my opinion, is very mild compared to other shows out there. What I don't like about it for my son is that there are moments of interaction between characters where all of a sudden, something sexual or inappropriately lewd will slip in. We have a value in our house of explaining anything my son asks about, and that includes questions about drinking, drugs, sex, etc. However, with Adventure Time, some of the references were, frankly, not things I wanted to explain. Characters leering at each other, making sexual jokes, making veiled references to sexual acts, etc. I am not a prude and believe in being open about sexuality - AT AN APPROPRIATE TIME developmentally for the child. I also feel pretty strongly that we should be teaching boys and girls not to view each other as sexual objects, especially at a young age. Kids are growing up too fast and are getting sexualized way too early as it is. In my opinion, shows like this don't help that problem. Yes, the references are humorous in the contexts of the situations in the show, but I think they are both confusing for kids and may also lead them to get curious about things they have no capacity for understanding at age 7 or 8. The show is absolutely very funny, very creative, very imaginative, etc. It is also inappropriate for young children as long as the sexual innuendos and jokes stay in. If they took those out, I would let my kid watch the show. Until then, it's off-limits in our house.

Adult Written byJawilliams June 6, 2012

Hidden Sexual Content

Should be rated PG-13
This show at first appears appropriate for older kids, but if you watch the show closely there are a lot of things that are inappropriate that you might miss, and though are over the kids heads, are still there. Like the episode with the Spinx that Princess Bubblegum made. When the bee pollinates the flower, watch closely. VERY inappropriate for children.

Adult Written byB3noise October 20, 2011

Pay Attention

So it has come to my attention that many people think that this show is very inappropriate... if you parents took longer then five seconds to watch this show then you would know how amazing this show is and how you're wrong. I noticed that there was a-lot of people saying sexual content and things like this. The worst I've seen on this show is a kiss. And that was one time, other than that there were hugs off and on and kisses on the cheek rarely. So that's one issue down. The word sucks and frickin are no where close to bad language and if anything it's way better than them using the F word. Now onto violence. If you have not told your kids that violence is not the answer than apparently you don't know how to parent. Use common sense and realize if you taught your kids correctly then there should be no issue with them following these things. And if you still have an issue then don't let your kids watch it. And don't waste the CN network or FCC with your complaints. It's a waste of time to bother the CN network and the FCC has way bigger problems than the word sucks or frickin. All I'm saying is that if you raise your kids correctly than don't stop them from watching this stuff.

Adult Written byAmundaya June 18, 2019

Dont be a snowflake

This is so wholesome compared to what children watch on youtube.

Adult Written byBobReturns November 29, 2012

Adventure Time Appeals to Both Kid's and Adults

This cartoon is very surreal and creative. I have seen a few people suggesting that its not appropriate for children or that it should be rated TV14 which just baffles me. Adventure Time is very innocent and positive in tone and message. At its worst it has mild to moderate violence that even something like Tom and Jerry out does and there is some use of pseudo swears like "kick butt" or "sucks." Although rare, there are also some Adventure Time episodes that could be kinda scary for small sensitive children where the main characters find themselves in scary settings and situations, but like most things in Adventure Time much of the more adult and darker themes are only subtly implied rather than graphically and literally illustrated in a manner that kids will grasp.

The show is no where near deserving of a TV14 which I have seen suggested by a couple of individuals. That would be the same rating as something like Family Guy which depicts graphic drug and alcohol use, bdsm sex scenes minus the nudity and makes jokes where the punchline is something like spousal abuse or rape etc. To suggest that something as innocent as Adventure Time deserves to be lumped into the same rating bracket as Family Guy is absolutely ridiculous.

Anyway, back to Adventure Time. The one thing about this show that is somewhat ill suited for young children is how adult and complex many of the themes and characters are in some episodes. Although innocently and genuinely presented, themes in Adventure Time episodes can run the gambit from a silly romp where kid goes on an epic quest to retrieve his Frisbee from a tree to very adult plots such as exploring the emotional devastation caused by experiencing a loved one slip away into madness or dementia. The episode titled "I Remember You" is a very good example of just how adult some of the show's themes can be. Interestingly enough it's the adults who have lost loved ones to alzhiemers or serious mental illness that I have seen seriously teary eyed after watching it, rather than the children. I asked my nephews what they thought of the episode after seeing it because I was very curious how they interpreted it. The children watched it and just saw Ice King acting weird and goofy again and they found the episode amusing rather than tragic where as the adults who saw it understood what was really going on and were left to contemplate the sad implications that simply went strait over the kids heads.

I think it does the show's writing credit that it can tell stories and jokes on two different levels. On one level its a literal goofy, fun romp through a fantasy world that kids love, yet on another implied level that goes strait over their heads it's a post apocalyptic world filled with sometimes darker humor revolving around human nature. Adventure Time is a rare gem in that it can appeal to both kids and parents and does so in a charming and positive manner.

Adult Written bybloodybirdbrain March 12, 2011
Adventure Time is a call back to the cartoons of the 90's like Ren And Stimpy where imagination and orignality reigns supreme and it was okay to be a little risque at times.These days people are so fussed up about trying to protect their kids but fail to realize they will just end up finding out stuff on the internet or school.

This is one of the most imaginative cartoons that has ever been made in a while.And kids should watch this as oppose to those sitcoms on Disney and Nickelodien where all they talk about is an all too real and depressing "fame and money lifestyle".

Adult Written byRockybalboa211 February 14, 2011

For kids 11 years or older

This show is fantastic. It's a quality cartoon which is similar to the memorable cartoons of the 80s and 90s. It's humor would be similar to the first shrek movie (adult humor is placed within the show, yet children shouldn't be able to get it). The only thing that could be considered wrong about the show is that it uses words like suck, crotch, and freaking. Yet, it's one of the few cartoon shows (or just show) that does not use the Lord's name in vain. The characters Finn and Jake go on adventures to combat evil and that's pretty much it. Yet, the storylines are randomly hilarious, and quite original. It's not mean spirited and it probably could be used to teach kids that they should always fight for justice and fairness.The kid reviewers below me probably don't know anything about cartoon animation or the process which goes into animation. This surreal show once again is very clever, and is in no way like "MAD" which is very very inappropriate for kids below age 13. I don't see how the characters are not responsible since they always complete their missions to help everyone and usually succeed in the process and make the lives of whoever they help to be better. This show is not like tom and jerry, since it does not have the amount of violence that was in tom and jerry. Overall adventure time, phineas and ferb, and Avatar the last airbender are probably the best cartoons out now.

Adult Written byChildrenDontGrowOld January 7, 2011

surrealist and intellctual

This show was made on a lot of psychedelics and pizza, it's great. I'll be sad if angry snobs send this to adult swim, because adult swim is great too (Boondocks anyone?) but then you're depriving kids of surrealist imagery and very clever writing.
Adult Written bydanny800 March 30, 2019

adventure time was not for kids

i think Adventure Time was a amazing show but it was not for kids because it had mild swearing like crotch freaking and son of a and it has lots of edgy Adult jokes like a mermaid pops out of the river and asks finn and jake to mate with her ice king tells a robot you can do what ive failed in you can mate with robot princesses finn says hes going to sack a guys nut castle finn says theres a lava monster in his front yard and he is so hot and jake says m hmm and finn says no wait i didnt mean like sexy hot and jake says no you do mean sexy hot jake shapes himself to look like a snail and tells finn whos pretending to be a snail that hes just sitting there thinking about mating with snails and finn gets disgusted and says no and the snail says that he will mate with him and jake says where just role playing buddy finn goes into a forest filled with naked people a old guy says oh no and another guy walks by and says my most private parts peeped by a boy a lady calls finn a pervert and he keeps running through the forest and you can hear more people saying my privates jake looks in princess bubblegums room and finn tells him thats pervy in the fionna and cake episode prince gumball asks fionna to come up to his room with him and he starts to unbutton his shirt it turns out it was just the ice queen in disguise but still ice king tells a hitman he hired that someone got hit in the boing loins jake tells finn about the diffrent teirs and finn says what about teir 15 and jake says stay away from that do not do teir 15 a guy for a royal competition says its time for the royal spooning and slime princess wants finn to spoon her tree trunks says looks like were all alone and mr pig says wait dont you think there might be cameras in here and says well princess bubblegum is watching i hope so a guy turns into a monster and says im i a walking love magnet and peppermint butler says well you paid the price no doubt and i want to have your babies and he says great to the princess then and peppermint butler says no wait what about me and at the end of the episode peppermint butler asks where the guy went and princess bubblegum tells him i gave him away peps i knew he couldnt be happy without me so i built him a robot wife and peppermint butler says you should have given him to me and smacks princess bubblegum across the face its very vilonte finn and jake run through a bunch of maces and weapons on a board walk and almost get mutilated finn is seen holding a monsters head magic man turns a bird inside out a giant monster beats finn up and says beg for mercy or i will kill you finn chops off a guys head off screen and his head falls on the ground but hes still alive finn beats up some berries and their juice sprays all over him which represents blood the liches skin burns off and he is seen skinned alive the lich kills a character marceline attempts to kill jake in one episode by sucking his blood and bmo kills jake by grabbing and squeezing his chest and it has some dark humor jake jokes about seeing dead bodies and guts on the ground finn kills a character amade of grass and comes home horrified covered in grass theres some suicide refrences finn lets go of some balloons and they say yay to the mesophere finally we can die jake has a dream were he dies then he wants to die and a guy named princess cookies tries to kill himself but fails and ends up in a mental institution and theres stuff involving murder like root beer guy thinks finn and jake murdered princess bubblegum but it turns out that was not the case but he goes to the store and the guy said they bought a bludgeon and a mop and the shows last few seasons are very dark and even some episodes from early seasons involving the lich are also very dark and theres a episode were lemon grabs a dictator and abuses a lemon child and season 7 has the stakes arc which has deeper darker plot to it involving marceline having to kill some vampires so she can become one again in its last few seasons a human character is only survivor left from a giant war were the animals killed most of them and in the final season jakes alien dad tries to make him use up his energy and die so that its given to his alien dad instead a grass version of finn tries to murder finn princess bubblegums uncle tries to murder finn a guy talks about stabbing and finn says he will chop some heads off and in the series finale they get into a giant war some characters die and it has some of the most disturbing imagery in the show ever that was not on Adult swim and also has a dark backstory involving a apocalypse with that being said i dont reccomend adventure time for anyone under the age of 14

Parent of an infant and 9-year-old Written byAJGodard June 16, 2014

Inappropriate sexually motivated and sexist dialog.

This show is full of semi-hidden references to content that is sexually motivated and/or sexist, and is inappropriate children younger than the middle school level at minimum.

Some of the quotes I heard in just one 12 minute show were disguised by their frame of reference. "Give me some sugar, Baby," was uttered by a candy zombie who wanted to eat sugar and, "Get those hot buns in here, girl," was referring to a character carrying a basket of hot rolls. Maybe the kids won't understand, but placing these phrases out of context in a kids show normalizes them for a new generation, perpetuating a new cycle of sexism.

Later in the show the characters participate in several games that are, at least, high school level in content. At one point they are playing 'Truth or Dare' during which a cupcake person is asked to take off his wrapper, which he does. At another point the main character sends two others into a closet for 'Seven Minutes of Heaven', and before the door closes you can see one of them twisting herself around the other one. Both of those games have sexual themes and do not belong in a kids show.

It doesn't matter whether children have an understanding of the meanings or not. The phrases and behaviors of the characters in the show are inappropriate. If someone was talking and acting like that in front of my 9 year old I would call them out for their behavior. I think we should do the same for TV shows and movies.

Adult Written byblocket111 December 26, 2011

Should be rated PG-13

Always supervise your younger kids while watching this show. The animators absolutely sneak in stuff. In one episode, a staff was clearly drawn to look like a penis and testicles. In the same episode, the boy dribbles a sports ball with his butt crack. My son is no longer allowed to watch it. I think it is a funny show that teens and adults enjoy - but it's not appropriate for younger kids.

By the way, there are several people on here who say this show is no worse than The Family Guy, Ren and Stimpy, The Simpsons, etc. Well, if that's the standard you set for your kids, then go ahead and let them watch this show. My eight-year-old will not be watching any of these programs for several more years. Just because it's animated doesn't mean its appropriate.

Adult Written bycrecca November 12, 2011

This show is the best cartoon since Spongebob Squarepants.

Okay I am 20 and this show is one of my favorites. If I had a child I would let them choose if they wanted to watch it or not, but I watch it everyday. It's creative and pushes the envelope for animation on day time television, trust me it is much better than icarly and all that other crap your kids are watching. That stuff is the kind of thing you shouldn't let your kids watch. Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Avatar are probably the best shows to let kids watch if you want your child to make decisions in life based on what they want instead of what everyone else wants from them. It's all about happiness isn't it? Does the show make your kid happy? Let them watch it then.

Adult Written bybesevere September 8, 2010
Just yesterday encountered, I want to have your babies, says Jake. Duke Nutz' wife says they 'lie down' together and also Junk River Monster asks if they want to mate. Also, in Finn's house, a picture of naked lady, but picture has been ripped down to cover her parts.
I like the show. I think it is very funny. But am disappointed with such references. Was especially shocked by naked picture on wall.

Parent of an infant and 7-year-old Written bySteffauri516 September 3, 2010

Cute, hilarious show, enjoyable for whole family

My daughter Alina is 7 and absolutely loves this show! I sat down and watched it with her a few times, it's a bright, peppy, fun and engaging program, but I did have some minor concerns. I posted "language use" as one of them; now don't get me wrong the characters aren't going around spouting cuss words, but they do occasionally use words like "sucks" and "frickin". "Sucks" really isn't a problem to me, but "frickin", which is obviously too close to the F-word is completely out. I also posted violence because they do show weapons such as knives and flamethrowers in the show, but they do not use them on other characters or inflict harm on other characters. Despite the few minor problems, this show is on for us! Your kids will love it!

Adult Written by3DaughterDad August 22, 2010

Sexually Suggestive

Saw an episode where characters played games like 7 minutes of heaven [where two people are locked in a closet and make out] and also daring someone to take their clothes off while playing truth or dare. Mind you it was a cupcake dared to take their wrapper off - during a game of truth or dare, but way inappropriate.

Adult Written byAustinmad2 May 26, 2019

Best show ever for most ages

One of my favorites. This show teaches you to embrace your unique self and to have fun

Adult Written byFried_Sushi June 13, 2012

Not recommended for children 12 and under.

Adult Written byneenersh February 16, 2012

Cute but then some episodes are creepy and demonic

I have given this show a few chances and my husband and I really like it but a few episodes have had demonic references. I love Harry Potter and magical movies and shows but this show has had too many instances that reference witchcraft and character that use demonic magic.