Parent reviews for American Horror Story

American Horror Story Poster Image

Honest and Practical Review

Kids today are not shielded from anything. High school itself would be rated TV MA . A 14-year-old kid would not see anything they didn't already know unless they've been kept under a rock. It's a great show with incredible, award-winning actors with great lessons to be learned. Loosen up. It's worth it. Now granted, sex scenes, partial nudity, gore, and violence is pretty frequent. But as a parent you have to understand, it's a great sense of entertainment. Your kid is not going to go to school and stab someone in the throat, okay? They're not going to grow up a sex-addicted maniac. If they don't think they can watch it, then they won't. Leave it up to them.

6 people found this helpful.

*EXTREME CONTENT WARNING*

Most of these “parent” reviews seem like they’re written by children, which is concerning to me that there are any kids out there watching this show. There’s great acting, interesting plots, and it’s overall a well produced show that I’ve enjoy watching. But I am an adult, and even for adults, the content in this show isn’t for everyone. There are graphic rape scenes combined with sexual violence, extremely graphic gore, a DIY abortion scene, and worst of all, many of these scenes include children. I find myself being repulsed by some of the content in this show, and some episodes leave me feeling extremely heavy. The gore goes beyond your typical horror movie; not only are there guts, smashed in heads, people being burned alive, and also cannibalism, one scene depicts two teens being sacrificed in a horrific style that I don’t care to dive into. The rape scenes are not just implied, they’re very graphic, and while there isn’t full nudity in this show, they’re about as disturbing as it can get. The scenes I’ve discussed in this review were extremely hard to watch, and while the story lines are interesting and many episodes have won awards, it boggles me that the content displayed is even allowed in Tv. There were many lines I thought this show wouldn’t cross, and it managed to leap over every single one of them. Just when you think the scene will cut because what’s about to happen is just too disturbing, the scene continues on. If you’re a parent or even a child and you are reading this review, proceed with caution when deciding whether to watch it. It’ll churn your stomach and leave you feeling disgusted knowing that some of the things depicted, are things that do, unfortunately, happen in real life.

1 person found this helpful.

The truth on AHS

I watched only season one and it is highly addictive. My son who is 13 is also a fan it had barely any violence. Except the classic slasher stabs or shooting. Also the sex is mild. No nudity or rape in season 1. I only recommend if your kid is mature if they still don't know about sex and killers I would not recommend. Hope this helps.
1 person found this helpful.

12+ but depends on your kid

AHS is really good and I enjoyed watching it when I was a bit younger, so when my 13yo daughter asked me to watch it I was a bit wary but she is quite mature and we have talked about sex and stuff like that. She also has two older brothers (17 & 19) so they have also told her about more stuff like that. We do watch tv shows and movies that are 16+ with drugs and sex involved and she doesnt mind those sorts of things and she comfortable watching them, so I wasn't too worried. Now, here is my opinion. First of all, you know your kid so don't just go off things on the internet. If your kid is like mine and is mature and you think that they would be ok with it, go for it. Secondly, your kid should know what they are comfortable with, so if you're watching and they don't feel comfortable with watching this they can just tell you and you don't have to watch anymore. Third, if your kid doesn't know about sex and drugs/alcohol and killers then DO NOT WATCH, but saying that, if your kid is 12 or over they should know about those things. Fourth, in my opinion, the first two seasons are most appropriate for kids but the next four aren't too bad. Fifth, there are sex scenes and rape scenes but if your child isn't comfortable you could probably skip them and continue watching, as long as they understand what happened it shouldn't confuse the storyline.

12+ but depends on your kid

Great show, definitely not for little kids

This show is brilliantly written and geared toward adults with a new story every season using the same cast in different roles and fresh settings, and some seasons even connect in various ways. That said, obviously it's horror-themed. There's quite a bit of sex, but I didn't personally find it too gratuitous (and no nudity besides the occasional rear). There's suggestive situations, drug & alcohol use, and a lot of dark/violent scenarios combined with gratuitous blood and gore sometimes. Some seasons have a bit more or less of those elements to varying degrees, but overall it's definitely an adult show. I recommend this for ages 15+ based on conversations I've had with teenagers, talking to people with different parenting styles, and my own experience growing up. While it's rated 17+, the age of 15+ sounds more sensible to me (as with most media of this nature). It's undeniable a lot of teens will find this show earlier as older siblings introduce them to it, or they might check it out online or at a friend's house, so I don't think it makes sense to try to control exposure too much for your teen kids, given those facts. But it's up to parents how they've raised their kids and what they reasonably believe they can handle. The important thing is that you have a conversation with them about it. Much as we as humans would love to control every little thing our kids watch at various ages, it's simply not possible as they grow older. All you can do is foster trust and arm them with the right tools and knowledge to be able to handle any given form of media, and if you keep open communication, they'll reach out to you if they need to.

love this show

american horror story is a great show for a intro into the horror genre. keep in mind this show is a ANTHOLOGY, so each season is sooo different. the only connected drains i can think of tbh is nursery house, and apocalypse. the cast is the same in every season basically tell ur kids not to look up to these people.

Depends on the kid

I loved the show it was amazing but it is good for your kids? well I would say a mature 11 could watch it would i mean by that is they have seen adult shows before and I don't mean they watched a little bit of your favorite show with them they full on watched a TV-14 or TV-MA show If it weren't for it being A little bit frightening then it would be fine for even maybe even for a 10 year old a lot of seasons are different I will give you my opinion on the first season Murder House- Amazing season and a good season for tweens -Sex and Nudity -Moderate In the first episode the dad [email protected] by a window from what I can remember it does show his naked butt but no other nudity and the scene only lasts a couple of seconds In the first episode it shows a man in a black suit riding the mom no nudity is shown in that scene but there is moaning Once you get past the first episode there is pretty much no more sex scenes but there is some sexaul talk here and there a boy talks about how "v!rgins are always wet" but thats pretty much it

It's bad but not terrible

I as a dad of four is always left with the decision of what my kids can and can't do. My wife will just say look at this and I do. Today I was summoned to look at this. I watched this a couple months ago and found it really good. Some things to know are that in Murder house suicide is portrayed and present but not shown. Also in murder house there is some sexy parts but overall the best in the seasons to come. If you are a believer in God do not watch any season do to the devil warship portrayed. In the asylum suicide and violence is heavy but as I am a suicide survivor I find it important for my kids to learn about this topic. Also a ghost in this season prevents a kid from suicide. Most seasons moving forward are bad for kids to watch. The seasons have cults ( not for God lovers) and sex with things your not meant to have sex with. So in total I said yes only to the first two seasons until my kids have matured. Again knowing your kid is the most important. And don't just read this review and do what I say stay true to your morals. Again have a great day.

Review on AHS

Hi! My name is Kathy and Thai is my rating on AHS I have two boys Charlie and Marcus they are both 13 (they are twins) and Marcus has been asking me about AHS for a while now and I looked at the review on here and it was an immediate no but then I started to dig deeper and I found that it is not that bad and I am very happy that I decided to say yes to this! Both of the kids love it and it’s very fun to watch! Violence is a 9/10 sex is a 7/10 and drinking drugs and smoking is a 10/10 I do think you should skip over the drinking scenes they are pretty intense! Also please remember your kids should know about stuff like sex, and drinking before they watch this since the drinking plays a big part in this show and many kiddos drink underage and you wouldn’t want your kiddos thinking that’s right!