All parent member reviews for American Horror Story

Parent Written byh1974 November 4, 2011

Dark moody and addictive. 16+

Serious adult themes permiate this visually stunning and suprisngly well acted hour long "nine inch nails"video meets twin Peaks drama. Strong female leads help to offset some serious misbehaving men and ghouls. Adultry, abortion, gay sex, and murder are common themes as well as a "columbine" type of undercurrent revolving aroun Tate. Not for the immature or most teens under 16.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 May 5, 2012

cool

awesome
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion December 21, 2012

Astoundingly Original, Scary and Shocking

American Horror Story is a love it or hate it TV show. I bet you will find next to no one in between. Many praise its brilliant originality and others condemn its shock and awe tactics. I'm solidly in the former group. The show is explicit and not for kids, but adult horror fans will find a treat here: something unlike anything they've ever seen before, full to the brim with genuine scares, absolutely stunning performances, technical peerlessness, and (believe it or not) perceptive, emotional storylines. The first thing you should know about this show is that it's an anthology production: each season, while retaining several key actors, covers a completely different story. Two seasons have aired so far: the first being more of a psychosexual thriller revolving around a modern haunted house, and the second more of a straight-ahead horror story that takes place in a 1960s-era insane asylum. Of the two seasons, the second is more explicit, containing much darker thematic material and graphic violence. The violence in both seasons is bloody and frequent. Season 1: Hand-to-hand combat results in dislocated legaments, snapped necks, and blood-covered wounds. Stabbings and shootings are shown with gore. One woman is shot in the eye, and we see her bloody socket. People are beaten to death with shovels. Gore-covered corpses, returned as ghosts, are shown almost constantly. Sexual assault is preluded, but almost always interrupted. A blood-soaked childbirth scene is shown. Season 2: A lot more gore than in Season 1 is shown, and the violence has a grittier feel to it. The ground meat of humans is shown being fed to quasi-human monsters. A serial killer skins his victims and wears their skin as a mask. Graphic stabbings, Nazi-esque medical experimentation, dismemberment, and axe choppings get much screen time. A woman is raped, but no nudity is shown. Sex in both seasons is not as explicit as some would have you believe, but it is still frequent. Season 1 contains rear nudity of a male character only, but Season 2 contains occassional female topless nudity as well. Both seasons contain sex scenes, but they are brief and contain very little, if any, nudity. Both men and women are shown masturbating in both seasons, once again, without on-screen nudity. One disturbing scene shows a woman being made to fondle a nude male character (off-screen) as an attempt to "cure" her lesbianism. Profanity in both seasons is frequent, but milder than your usual R-rated movie (no "f" words yet).
Parent Written byrachpanthera October 29, 2011

Not for kids, no way

I have always loved thriller type horror movies and this show delivers on that. The gore as I have seen isn't too bad. However, the sexual deviency throughout the show is in no way appropriate for anyone under 18. For me, just because you don't see genitalia doesn't mean that the sex scene aren't graphic. They focus heavily on bondage, sexual violence, and lewd language. As a 29 year old married female, I would feel wierd watching this with my parents even now. And a 6th grader watching it, NO WAY
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 2, 2012

Dark psychological-horror drama intended to be viewed by adults only.

American Horror Story is about a troubled married man named Dr. Harmon, whom is a Psychiatrist who takes his wife and teenage daughter to a mansion just to get away from the past troubles they've experienced, including his wife, Vivien Harmon, who's witnessed him cheating on a younger woman in their previous home, and their teenage daughter who has a dangerous habit of self-mutilating herself and having apparent thoughts of suicide. Their neighbor, Constance, knows more about the house than they do, and by then it shows the mansion's twisted and disturbing past, and especially the horrific acts committed by the owners. The violence that occurs is very disturbing and shocking because of their daughter's graphic self-mutilation (cutting her wrists with razor blades), a woman brutally shoots and kills her cheating husband for witnessing him attempting to rape their housekeeper, and a woman bites off a man's penis and another suffocates him to death with a plastic bag. There's one infamous scene where Tate goes on a very realistic school shooting spree and you see students and teachers get brutally shot and gruesomely murdered. Language is infrequent but strong at times (uses of sh*t, godd**n, d*mn, h*ll, and some use of c**k and c**ksucker). There's some drug use where Dr. Harmon's daughter takes pills and smokes cigarettes with a student, and they both get high on some occasions. You do see eerie and disturbing imagery of the ghosts whom once resided around the neighborhood including ones who actually owned that mansion, and the grisly injuries they once sustained when they were murdered are still on them in ghost form.
Adult Written bylovelaughing101 November 18, 2011

Eerie and disturbing, it's rated TVMA for a reason.

This show is full of language, sex and masturbation, as well as just flat-out disturbing content. There's at least one murder in every episode, often very graphic. The show itself has a very eerie feel to it. Although I really enjoy it, it's definitely a controversial horror series for adults only, and should definitely not be viewed by children.
Adult Written byTecFan09 March 29, 2013

Spooky, Crazy, Dramatic Fun. For the Grown-Ups Eyes Only.

A great, very well made, twisted horror and drama series, great for adults. Acting is incredible, characters are extremely flawed but likable, and the story is addicting and fun to follow. Not for children, or even some teens, I'd say 14-15 at the youngest, and that's if they're mature enough to handle it. There are explicit sex scenes, teens and adults using drugs and alcohol, violence, gore, self-mutilation, extremely poor role-models, and lots of murder.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byLuvBinAMommy08 October 16, 2013

Not for kids under 17

sometimes gets crazy and disturbing. My husband and I watch this and I can safely say my kids will not be watching this any time soon.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bySmurfette711 January 12, 2012

Not for kids

I can't tell you how much this is not for kids. Sex in many forms (just because they don't show full nudity does not mean there's not any sex in it), drugs, drinking, cursing, abortion, sadistic doctors and dentists, ghosts, hanging death, corpse mutilation, whatever that thing was in the basement (?!?!?), suicide, homicide, child abuse, mass murder...I could go on and on.
Parent Written byhannahbananna85 May 24, 2013

I'm almost hooked, but...

This show captures you, but in the first episode, the sexuality is overwhelming. I wouldn't even want my husband to see this!
Adult Written byalekon July 30, 2012

17 & up

I just finished the 1st season of this series, and I gotta say there are a few scenes which were slightly disturbing for me. I, being a fan of this sort of series, tend to like horror, however, a few scenes were just disgusting and gross, not for kids for sure.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bycathy59 February 13, 2015

Not for kids 10 and under, maybe 11 year olds.

I think that you can not really keep your kids from knowing all about forms of sexual interactions and other things. Of course I wish they wouldn't know, but they will find out. Kids can be very mature, and as long as they like scariness, then you're good to go. Make sure you can trust your child!
Adult Written byzutara123 January 22, 2015

The acting and stories are great. It can be very disturbing though at times.
Adult Written bylmtrav January 9, 2015

SO GOOD but not for kids

Honestly, the appropriate age for this show is hard to determine because it really depends on the person. My sister who is 15 loves this show and can handle it just fine, but my mom can't even watch it for a minute. I know 15-year-olds who couldn't watch this and parents who love it. I don't normally like horror movies, but I love this show. Every season is different always keeping it fresh and interesting. The acting is amazing for television, and it is so original. The sexual content is pretty heavy, but a lot of teenagers have seen this stuff before and should be able to handle it if they are mature. Seasons 1 and 2 are a bit darker than 3 in my opinion so 3 may be the best to start with if you are unsure.
Adult Written bySarahH 4 January 4, 2015

It's really good, BUT really bad.

If you can't handle extremely disturbing things, such as rape (yes you actually see people being raped), murder, chopping body parts, demons etc. Do not watch American Horror Story. The story lines can be very enticing and very dramatic, the acting is absolutely fantastic, but the material is very disturbing. I had weird dreams for days from some of the episodes.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

Season 1:Bloody a violent a scary.sexual content a brief nudity.language a some drug iffy 17 Season 2:Graphic disturbing a violent a gory a scary.some strong sexual content a some nudity a strong language off 17 Season 3:Violent a gory.sexual content a brief nudity.language.some drug iffy 17
Adult Written byaryenne December 13, 2013

Mature audience only

This is not for children. If your teen is mature and interested in viewing, it should be ok. But there is nothing about this show that improves your life or makes it worth watching.