Parent reviews for Andi Mack

Heartwarming, diverse coming-of-age story best for tweens.

Parent of a 8 and 15 year old Written byH G April 28, 2017

Terrible for kids

I am absolutely disgusted with the plot line of this show. I 100% support adding diversity to Disney channel and taking the stories to new dimensions. However I am not sure what a show about unplanned pregnancy and then lying and pretending mom is really sister teaches children. I am very uncomfortable with letting my children watch this show. I found out about the show when my 8 year asked me if I'm really her sister. As a young mom these are not situations children or teens typically deal with and I don't think Disney channel is the place to address unplanned pregnancy in the way this show does. If the purpose is to target an older audience then I am sorry but 16 and 17 year olds are not even watching Disney channel in the first place. I think they forgot the average age of their audience. I never thought I would have to censor either of my children from watching Disney channel. My 15 year old said the show is weird and my 8 year old is too young to understand it and I don't think explaining to a child why someone had a kid when they were young and then lied about it is going to teach any type of lesson except don't get pregnant before you are ready and as I said that is not a conversation That I would expect to result from a Disney show. That is not why children and teens watch Disney channel.
Parent of a 14 and 18+ year old Written byCollegeGirl_Kid... June 17, 2017

VERY bad messages for kids. BAD role models. Encourages Peer Pressure. Teaches Disrespect of Authority.

I actually really liked this show--at first. It was well written, the kids aren't wearing neon clothes and over-painted faces, the set is real and not like a stage, there's no canned laughter, NO SINGERS, and the acting (particularly with the grandmother Cici and the girl Andi) is really good. It definitely seemed quality at first, and it was entertaining. However, as you continue watching the series, slowly at first and then more prominent in other episodes, it clearly becomes apparent that this show is specifically targeting children and teaching them poor values that modern society wants people to accept as "normal." This includes, as many other parents have said, glorifying Bex's irresponsibility and disrespect of authority while encouraging that your own temporary wants are more important than other people--lessons Bex encourages of Andi. Bex has let her mother Cici raise Andi for 13 years while pretending to be the older sister who never comes around. In that time, Cici has provided a great home for Andi, loved her, and taught her to be responsible and respectful. Once Bex decides she's done hiding, she takes Andi from Cici and shows the girl how everything her grandmother has taught Andi is wrong or trivial (since, you know, Bex is doing so well in life). There's one episode where the show even states that it's no big deal that the school's averages are falling. In that same episode, Andi leaves her sports team and doesn't want to be friends with the captain anymore (a boy she had a crush on) because he didn't support her in a dress code protest--something her friends and mother support (showing that you can't be friends if they don't agree with you on everything, as well as showing that one's self is more important than a team that relies on you). The show also teaches children to give into peer pressure, several times allowing Andi and other characters like Cyrus to be talked into things they didn't want to do and that may get them into trouble--only to show that everything is alright and they have to live a little. Furthermore, every time Cici and Bex try to get closer to one another and Cici finally opens up to give Bex more trust, Bex immediately betrays that trust--such as throwing a wild party in Cici's house while she's away and then trivializing Cici's feelings about it afterwards. Several times during the show, the characters demand that respect is something that should be automatically given to yourself, while others should have to earn YOUR respect (Andi aggressively tells the principal he should earn her respect, she won't just give it). This show is absolutely inappropriate for children. Episode 11 was particularly blatant in this agenda. I would definitely not recommend this for children as it is clearly and intentionally trying to indoctrinate children into having a hive mentality. "THINK JUST LIKE US, OR YOU'RE OUR ENEMY" I feel so bad for the character Cici in this story. She has flaws, but she's basically depicted as everything that's wrong in the world--not Bex, whose poor decisions cause nearly every conflict in this story and puts a lot of emotional trauma on Andi.
Adult Written bymomwithfive m. May 6, 2017

Very disappointing

I actually think this show is disappointingly glamorizing the irresponsible behavior of Bex and undermining the hard work of raising a child and the sacrifices that Bex's parents have made to provide for and raise her child. She swoops in after 13 years and is pretending, in my opinion, to now be raising Andi. Raising a child means sacrificing, providing for ALL their needs, and not acting irresponsible. Instead of portraying reality, Disney has bumped the parents who have actually been there for Andi for 13 years, and are putting a spot light on the irresponsible person, and are risking teaching this young generation that they have no accountability in their actions. Disney has disappointed me a lot in the direction they have taken with this show. There are so many children being raised by their grandparents and this show will bring confusion and disappointment to so many households by taking a very serious subject and sugar coating it to be anything but real. Extremely irresponsible on the part of Disney.
Parent Written byAnne P. April 21, 2017

Unplanned Pregnancy on Disney?

Sat down to watch the first episode with my daughter and was left with an almost 11-year-old asking, "How could her father not even know that she existed?" This led to me curtailing further discussions we aren't quite ready to have. Unless you are prepared to start answering some questions about pretty mature content (unplanned pregnancy) I would hold off with the tween crowd.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byBeatriz V. May 10, 2017

I feel the mother glorifies and enables her daughter to break people up, to steal boyfriends and to be popular by all means possible. I am disgusted by what this is teaching our children .. and little girls hating, bullying and doing splits and twirling on the dance floor is not what I want my children to be thinking this is normal..not cool

Adult Written byc b July 15, 2017

Don't listen to the negative reviews! This show is great!

There are a lot of negative reviews on here from parents who think this show is too inappropriate... Well first of all, they never even mention sex or even say the word "teen pregnancy" in the whole show. Besides, you learn about where babies come from in 5th grade, so you can't shelter your kids from that topic forever!

Adult Written byprincesscupcake683 March 18, 2017

Just... beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

I am about to graduate from high school, and I grew up in the days when we had shows like Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Wizards of Waverly Place, Kim Possible, Hannah Montana, That's So Raven, list goes on. I grew up with old Disney, but I can't help but have a thing for some of their new shows too. Good Luck Charlie and Austin and Ally are my favorites, because they both have great plots, great acting and are both relatable, funny, cute and have very likable and multi-layered characters and good messages without being preachy, and even amazing music and beautiful romantic undertones. I love those two shows, but I have mixed feelings about Shake It Up, Jessie and ANT Farm (I don't outright hate them, but they're very hit or miss and have some very obvious flaws). But ever since Dog with a Blog, Disney Channel seemed to be going downhill dramatically with horrible shows such as Liv and Maddie, KC Undercover, Best Friends Whenever and Bizaardvark. But Disney Channel is starting to redeem themselves with Andi Mack. It takes risks and tackles themes that preteens and teens can relate to like identity and teen pregnancy, has beautiful ethnic diversity between the characters, Peyton Lee (Andi's actress) is adorable and she shows real potential as an actress, same with the rest of the cast. Terri Minsky, who created this show (the creator of Lizzie McGuire, which I'm sure 80's, 90's and 2000's kids all remember) clearly put a lot of time and effort into this show, the writers clearly put a lot of time and effort into this show and on top of that, the visual effects (the ones used in the intro), camerawork and cinematography look absolutely gorgeous. But as amazing as this show is, I really think you may want to give your kids the sex talk before they watch this show, because a key element of the plot is that Bex had Andi when she was a teenager and was very likely promiscuous, so that your children understand the consequences of teen sex. But other than that, do I recommend this show? Absolutely!

Parent Written byNicole F. May 7, 2017

GREAT!!

This Is An Amazing Show My Kid Loves It So Much. Though There Can Be Some Adult Jokes Hidden In It Like A Character Plays Frisbee And Calls Andi's Friends "Disk Heads" And One Character Exclaims "What Did You Just Call Us?!" And There Is One Where A Friend Says "Did Something Happen On Your Birthday?" And She Says As The Bell Rings "I'll Tell You Later Its My First Period" And One Character Goes "Exactly" . Other Then That It Is A Great Show For Kids 10 and Up. So Do Yourself A Favor And Watch It.

Adult Written byShayan N. October 21, 2017

uhh...why do I NEED to explain this even?

Look, I had hope for this show. I really did. But the behavior of these kids is pretty questionable. Andi has great potential as a character, but the way sheis so disrespectful to the person who raised her, just because she is not her birth mother, is terrible, for one thing. And I haven't seen many other reviews about this, but why is it being normalized for Andi to actively try to steal someone else's boyfriend?? and then get legitimately disappointed when he doesn't reciprocate that feeling?? Even if that person's girlfriend is depicted as "terrible", that doesn't give Andi the right to interfere in their relationship. and Bex? I had hope for her to be a positive role model for Andi, but she is kind of sketchy. Like, what kind of parent ENCOURAGES a daughter to steal a boyfriend from someone else, throw a party behind her guardian's back, or stage a protest about dresscode rules? I'm not going to pick a fight with anyone about the issue of teen pregnancy being addressed in the show, that is a legitimate issue, and it is something to educate young people about. but this show is not only normalizing other negative behavior, but GLORIFYING it: stealing other people's partners and disobeying rules set by people of authority-set for good reason, mind you- are NEVER okay.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byLonar J. June 17, 2017

Terrible role model

This show was put on the TV by me 10-year old and I was appalled at what they were teaching children. In the episode I watch, the girl gets told that her socks are against the school dress code (which is unrealistic). Then, Andi protests the school dress code by wearing prison gear (which is very extreme) and the principal just folds in. This episode taught my 10-year old that protesting trivial matters, defying authority, and you will always get your way. I don't like that today's kids are becoming entitled and rude and this show is not helping to stop that. I was excited to see a spunky, asian girl on Disney channel as I never had someone of that race on Disney when I was a kid, but this show really disappointed me. I put that it's good for people 18+ because adults can see that this show is sending a bad message. I'd love to see better life lessons being taught that aren't so extreme. My grandpa was actually raised thinking that his mother was his sister so that's not all that unrealistic in my eyes.
Adult Written byJames T. July 7, 2017

Inappropriate Message and Very Disgusting, Teaches Kids Irresponsibility

It references periods, teen sex through the main character being born to who she thought was her sister. Also, it teaches kids irresponsibility because the mother of Andi couldn't tell Andi she was her mother and had the grandmother and grandfather act as Andi's parents. Finally, I believe it is wrong for anyone to have a child before they get married, unlike how Bex has to raise Andi herself because the father is too lazy and irresponsible.

Adult Written byDylan C. April 3, 2017

BEST Disney Channel show since Girl Meets World!!!

After GMW ( Girl Meets World ) ended i thought Disney Channel is going to be dead because Bunk'd and Stuck In The Middle are Trash with a capitol T so then I watched Tangled the Series Which is really good show better than Elena of Avolor so there's only one good show on Disney from that point so I was like OK Disney only has good animated shows NO MORE good LIVE ACTIONS SHOWS , But in the teen magazine I bought at Target was talking about this show they said there is a big plot twist to this show which I won't tell you what it is cause it will RUIN the show for you so they said that the 1st episode is on YouTube so I couldn't help myself and go watch it and It'd the best LIVE ACTION SHOW ON DISNEY NOW!!!! YAY so we have 2 good shows . Andi Mack has good role models a great message to kids to so play this for your tween and see if they love it . I don't recommend this show for kids 10 and under because they ask you a lot of questions about the plot twist

Adult Written bypurplewookies April 10, 2017

Great for the age group they're trying to reach!

Andi Mack is a nice coming of age show starring a diverse group of actors. I believe it's Terri Minsky's first show on the channel since Lizzie McGuire. To that end, it has a Lizzie-esque charm to it--it's not quite drama, not quite comedy, and very true-to-life. It covers real issues real kids might face with a realistic eye and tone. There is the "twist"--the plot point everyone and their mother have been mentioning about the show, which is covered well enough, I feel, in Emily Ashby's review. Kids in a younger age group (6-8 ish, the bottom of the "advertised" age range) can probably watch the show, but they may have trouble understanding (or depending on the kid, completely miss) what the plot point is implying. Kids 8 and up may have the knowledge to be able to parse the plot point on their own, though kids 10-14 (upper bounds of the demographic Disney wants to reach with this) will probably derive the most understanding and learning from the plot point. Situations outside of that point are a bit more far reaching in who will understand and benefit from them, though some do tilt into contexts that are more important to and understood by older kids. In addition, after each show, there's a segment called "Mack Chat" that features kids talking about their reactions to the show and what they might have done in similar situations. I feel this is a really good thing to showcase with the program's content, a sort of... companion, I guess, that might encourage viewers at home to talk about their thoughts, feelings, and understanding on what happened in the show. In short, I'd probably recommend making time to co-view with kids younger than 8. It's probably helpful to co-view with children of any age, actually, but kids 8 and up can probably watch alone just fine. Kids 10 and up will probably derive the most understanding and benefit from the show and situations.

Parent of a 7, 13, and 16 year old Written byFernando V. July 9, 2017

ANDI MACK REVIEW

When it comes to Disney Channel. It very rare for a good Disney show. Besides Hannah Montana and Good Luck Charlie. I am a grown man and me and my kids love this show. It actually addresses real life issues and problems that you might face in life. When it comes to Disney. I hate how they make older actors look like a younger actor. But in Andi Mack, they look like the ages and they are. They actually act like their ages. The show is now offering a main character who came out as gay. Which I am really happy about. My son actully came out after that episode. She say that Buffy supporting Cyrus really made him trust me that I do the same.

Adult Written byMary L. June 29, 2017
Adult Written byA B. October 27, 2017

Terrible

With having kids that are around the age of 7th grade, I thought this show would have a great background as to what happens in middle school. I personally believe that they should have held off on having Cyrus coming out. These kids are too young to understand what they are saying when it comes to understanding which gender they like. I agree with the other posts that there are many concepts in this show that my kids keep asking questions about that I should not have to answer till later.

Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byNicole S. November 20, 2017

Amazing, diverse, and REAL.

I’m not surprised at all that most people giving this show negative reviews and insane age ratings are extremely religious and/or homophobes. My 9 year old loves this show and surprisingly enough she didn’t even bat an eye over their gay character because I’ve taught her to love and accept everybody for who they are. :) Also, teen pregnancy happens (I was one myself) and pretending like it doesn’t exist doesn’t help anyone. I don’t encourage teen pregnancy but it is nice to have it represented. Not every child comes from a picture perfect family. I do think lying about who Andi’s parents really were was a strange choice but it adds an interesting dynamic.

Adult Written byGhost93 November 4, 2017

Surprisingly sophisticated for Disney Channel

Its refreshing to have a show aimed at children that does not talk down to its audience, but actually teaches them valuable life lessons that resonate. I know some parents hate the premise of the main character finding out that she was the result of an unplanned pregnancy, but the truth is that it is a situation many families deal with. I think it's important for children who come from these families to see themselves represented on TV and learn that their situation is not unique. As dysfunctional as Andi Mack's family can be, at the end of the day, it is still family. The controversy over the gay kid is absurd. Based on what I have witnessed, a kid is either gay or straight and TV shows don't change people's sexual orientation. What TV shows can do, however, is teach straight children to know how to handle a situation in which one of their friends comes out. Straight kids can learn not to freak out and mistreat their gay peers, but to instead show compassion and understanding. And for gay kids, seeing a gay character on the Disney channel could help them get through the depression of feeling like an outsider and it could maybe encourage them to talk about their feelings with their peers and their parents.

Adult Written byKingsley A. November 18, 2017

Inappropriate content on Disney Channel?!

This show is inappropriate. My kid is nine and asks me questions every time she sees the show that I️ didn’t think I’d be answering right now. I’ve watched the show with my daughter a few times and now am convinced this is not a show i will let her watch any further.

Adult Written byrebma97 April 11, 2017

Unique, realistic sitcom

When I first heard about Andi Mack, I was surprised - Disney Channel was going to have a teen pregnancy storyline? But I looked into it anyway, and from the pilot I already know this show is high quality. The characters are realistic, acting like real middle schoolers, but they're never talked down to by adults, and the family dynamic is refreshing. There are a lot of good messages here about honesty and communication, and how a family doesn't have to be perfect to be great and an integral part of your life. Sex: Bex, who pretended to be Andi's sister, is actually her mom, so in addition to having an unplanned pregnancy, she was probably a teenage mother. However, the show does not explicitly bring up this topic. Andi also has a crush on Jonah, but nothing happens.