All parent member reviews for Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

Educator and Parent Written bystephen melinger May 25, 2015

Questions are not Fifth Grade Level

This is an entertaining trivia show. The questions do not reflect what is taught in fifth grade. The point of the show is to make adults look silly and ignorant compared to the kids. This is not a new idea as situation comedies have always exploited this concept. Again it is a fun show.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byMomma comma July 16, 2013

Teach your kids on every subject

Hilarious. Up to you. That episode was not bad at all. Your kids can guess the answers and so can you. The host is nice and the kids are very smart
Adult Written byLowe's man January 8, 2014

Both generations can learn from this show.

It's amazing how much we've forgotten since we were in elementary school. This show tells us what we've forgotten (or never learned to begin with) when we were kids. People of all ages can watch and learn from this program. And kids will feel empowered that they know some things that adults don't know. What a way to build confidence!
Adult Written byTrevorsHeartburn October 16, 2015

I Suggest One Watches the Uncensored Version

Adult Written byJQT February 15, 2011
While it does serve to be an intermittently humorous piece of entertainment, it carries far more negative messages than good ones. For starters, the general theme of the show portrays 'average Americans' as well, not as smart as a 5th grader, and as an American citizen and student myself, this is not a label that I care to display. Building on that, the concept that the adult is inferior to the child is also a very negative in that it sends a message to children watching the show that they are superior to their elders, and thus should show them less respect. That by itself is understandably unacceptable. The only saving grace that this show does have, is that it is mildly educational. Of course keep in mind that it only contains information up to a 5th grade level so in a sense, it is not really educational at all.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymollsta1234 May 8, 2010

a family must see!

educational and enteraining! so good for the whole family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written bylumpsone March 11, 2010

DISCLAIMER: It is wrong to Cheat.

the fact that a contestant can CHEAT as a means to further their goal, sets a bad example for kids. It is an indirect way of endorsing cheating. Children know that cheating is wrong, and for a show to imply that it is acceptable in any situation may lead some of them to carry out the act. Parents will need to make a clear distinction for their children about the entertainment value of cheating, and its inefficacy in everyday life. Otherwise, the show is educational and gives children a positive attitude towards knowledge.
Adult Written bynikki aka loka April 9, 2008
Parent Written bykabook April 9, 2008
So far, I've only watched the first 2 episodes, but I think it's a cute show. I like the fact that I can watch it with my kids (ages 5&7) & not have to worry about bad language, sex, violence, etc. My 7 year-old/2nd grader loved watching it, because he knew some of the answers, but my 5 year-old/Kindergartner was a little bored. I'm not sure why it is on so late, but, luckily, we have a DVR & can watch it when we want. I think it is a pretty harmless & fun show.
Adult Written byinamarie April 9, 2008
I think this program shows how little adults actually know about things outside their careers. I am surprised about the lack of knowledge of US geography and history from some of the contestants. Know wonder our kids don't think that we know much as adults. The show is wonderful and I think the kids are adorable.
Adult Written bydeltamom April 9, 2008

some questionable jokes

The show is ok for the most part. But I took offence to the homeschooling joke he said on this weeks show. My child is homeschooled and she is 12 grade leval and above on all her subjects and she is only in 12 years old. So when Jeff told the women she must have been homeschooled and must have homeschooled herself because she missed several questions I and my child were very offerded. He needs to go to school and learn what homeschoolers know before her opens his mouth and inserts his foot again. Joke or no JOKE.
Adult Written byKimmieSu April 9, 2008

it's great

This is a great show. It's suprising to see what they are teaching kids nowadays. It's also nice that you can learn a lot from it. So not only is it enjoyable too see the adults clueless sometimes, it teaches too.
Adult Written bypurpleslayer57 April 9, 2008

learing experience

We like it.We watch it all the time and try to answer our selves. Some are kinda of hard to remeber.Kinda of embarassing to know your not smarter than todays 5th grader. Graet show.
Adult Written bycoloradobutterfly April 9, 2008

Family Fun!

This show is alot of fun for the whole family! It's a good game show to watch with the kids. We learn something new everytine!
Adult Written bySFDad April 9, 2008

Good show for the family

We watched this with our 10 and 12 year old kids, who normally don't get to watch any TV on school nights. It is sorta like Jeopardy...and it is cute and fun, and it is a good family show.
Adult Written byKeekster April 9, 2008

A Must for Almost All Ages

My 7-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son cannot wait for this show to come on. Jeff Foxworthy is great, the kids are fun, and the contestants, for the most part, are down-to-earth and not too full of themselves, as on some other game shows. When my daughter gets an answer right, she is so proud. (We're gearing them up to become contestants on "Jeopardy!" someday!)