All parent member reviews for Arrested Development

Adult Written bymooseman January 1, 2009

Best comedy to ever grace network television with it's presence

This show is rife sarcasm, irony, wit, and character quarks. There are many references to sex and drugs, most of which will fly over most kids heads. This show is also full of terrible people who rarely take the opportunity redeem themselves. Even though the one genuinely good character is often morally conflicted, it's all in the name of humor. i would recommend this show for anyone 14 and up. By the way, canceling this show was Fox's biggest mistake.
Adult Written bydoryfloory May 22, 2011

Not good for anyone.

It's just hairbrained and has no redemning qualities/
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat June 14, 2015

Adult Written bySumiko April 12, 2014

Funniest comedy I've ever seen

Absolutely hilarious. Trying to think back, but I don't think it's all that bad. I'd suggest using your own judgement for kids under 12, but teens I think could definitely handle it.
Parent Written byAgoodmom August 13, 2013

Kid friendly

This is amazing. Good for anybody
Parent of a 1 year old Written bygerbowski July 30, 2012

Great show! But not for your kids.

This is a great show, but definitely not for kids. Depending on your child, seniors in high school who are around 18 may be old enough for this very adult comedy. Any child younger than that should be kept from this series. There are very few positive characters, and even those who try to do good often find themselves following right along with the others. Even though there isn't excessive violence or sex in this show, it is filled with adult concepts and ideas that most kids won't understand and may misinterpret.
Adult Written bymoviemadness June 4, 2011

Witty, mature comedy for older viewers only

This show is positively excellent! Arrested Development is witty, dark, intensely funny, and full of astute observations on American culture. The Bluth family's mindless consumerism, low intellect, and dysfunctional relationships provide most of the laughs. It's chock full of great moments, a few heartwarming scenes, and lots and lots of mature humor. It definitely needs the right audience. I've watched every episode, and content certainly varies. There is extremely inappropriate language (which is bleeped, but clever references in following sentences let the viewer know EXACTLY what was being said). There is lots of sexual content that deals with incest (several major plot points center on incestuous and oedipal relationships), womanizing, masturbation, coercion, affairs, and etc. (nothing is shown, but the dialogue runs the gamut of topics). There is vapidity, lots of drinking, intense consumerism, and mind-blowing arrogance that make almost all members of the cast horrendous role models (which, of course, is the point). Finally, the way that the members of the Bluth family treat both their own and others is careless and crass. While the content is ok for older high school students, the older the viewer, the more they pick up on the nuances of the story.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byJesusrulz666 October 13, 2010

Arrested Greatness

This show is a dark comedy sitcom. Though it's very well done. The reason this isn't a family sitcom is because it shows all the characters, except George-Michael, deliberatly trying to ruin the lives of each other. I love it, it's funny, and very useful. 100,000,000 stars.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bygreengray February 28, 2010

Perfect for older teens.

Parent Written bymommygirl987654321 February 12, 2010

Positively Great in humor,not so much in content

This show is positively BRILLANT! My older kids love it as well as me. Even my 7 year old has seen and liked parts that were clean for her. However this show has several less-than appropriate and the olny "good" characters are Michael, George Michael, and(to an large extent)Maeby. Several bleeps, espicially from GOB.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byElizabethAverett January 22, 2010

Parent of a 13 year old Written bydocpainter October 1, 2009

for the right tweener and older

My son, then 11, and I watched the whole series. Both of us really enjoyed it. I thought it was a bit dark but ok for him. It's very funny and well done.
Adult Written bycalbearkid August 9, 2009

Smart Comedy

I saw this show the first time it hit the air (03) and have loved it since. If your 13 year old can enjoy this hsow then congratulations: you've raised quite a culturally sophisticated kid. Some sexual humor but nothing to explicit. Swearing is bleeped for the most part. Great odd-ball characters.
Adult Written byChristc878 April 9, 2008

Satire at its best

This show is SATIRE, not real life, but really funny and creative. I am loving the DVDs of season 1 and 2. Too bad it was cancelled.
Adult Written bynunzo April 9, 2008

Critically Over-rated. Deservedly negated

"Arrested Development" garnered outsized critical praise. Such praise had been so effusive and relentless that it became repetitious, dull, and unrevealing as to the shows real merits (there are none): "smart," "witty," and "brilliant." Critics, usually on blogs and websites, have smeared the "average viewer" who is obviously wit-impaired or simply put...stupid. The show is indeed high-concept and satirical. It is also mean-spirited, neurotic, and self-conscious. It's sole hero, with innocent child in tow, is unsympathetic, unconvincing and smarmy. Unfortunately, since Michael Bluth represents the single point of light in otherwise absolute darkness, his lack-of-virtue creates an overwhelming cynical ethos which the show cannot overcome. The jokes are all too often on the audience. The humor is sado-masochistic and New York City neurotic-- if it wasn't set in California. Perhaps, it's a bitter comedian's revenge? After all, comedy writer, one is told, are embittered miserable people. The jokes in "Arrested Development" provide a private language for those who admire similar (and far less successful efforts) on the part of Larry David. Cerebral and intellectual, this show may be-- but purely in the most masterbatory sense. Luckly, the writer has stopped his self-pleasuring, and mercifully the relentless PR machine known as "Arrested Development," replete with all its meaningless PR and accolades, can properly be laid to rest. With some luck, this show will enter complete oblivion never to return in syndication.