Parent reviews for Ask the Storybots

Ask the Storybots Poster Image

Watch out for the “Why can’t I eat desert episode”

Depictions of hazing. A strawberry pledge in a frat house full of junk food is dipped in chocolate against his will. The food items are chanting “chug, chug, chug.”The junk foods are basically hazing each other. It’s gross and triggering. It’s just very disappointing.

1 person found this helpful.

Ugh

I wanted to like this, but it’s really in-your-face. Too fast-paced, too much anger. I really don’t want my child to emulate the characters here. The topics are interesting, and the bots themselves have charm, but the appeal gets lost in a too-flashy, Ren-and-Stimpy-like agitated fervor. We’ve watched a few now, and I’ve regularly found myself skipping past sections that are just too much. Better yet, skip this program altogether.

Not as squeaky clean as it makes out

Noisy, angry, sometimes scary and even violent (despite the ratings). I find the energy of this to be quite negative and the pursuit of true information is often obfuscated in order to spin out the episode so that real learning is frustrated. And meanwhile the story isn’t so great either. Wish my child didn’t like it so much! Netflix kids content is pretty poor. Not to mention the hazing reference mentioned in another review.

Like Nails on a Chalkboard

Another reviewer perfectly described this show as being like a person at a party that seems really fun to be around at first, but then just wears on your nerves before the night is over. I want to like it! The guest stars are super cool. The facts that they present are interesting, though they’re mostly things my seven year old already knew from (the much higher quality) OG Magic School Bus, books, or 1st grade science. If she watches SB she acts like she’s never heard any of the concepts before in her life and will not stop following me around repeatedly asking why to something she could have told me the answer to herself directly before she watched the show. Yes, kids forget facts all the time (adults, too!), but this is a role she’s playing, where she acts like a preschooler complete with preschooler voice, and it’s irritating. I feel like a grump for hating a show everyone seems to like, and absolutely awful for being irritated by my typically delightful child. I think this behavior stems from what I perceive as a disconnect between the level of the information presented (fine for lower and maybe upper elementary kids), and the music, which FIRMLY says preschooler. Maybe this is done so younger kids can watch with their older siblings, but it gives it the overall feeling of a pre-K show, and I’m *done* with pre-K shows. The songs sometimes have zero bearing on the rest of the episode, which does not help. I love irritating music; klezmer, They Might Be Giants, Bollywood oldies, old school old-time stringbands. Anyone who can tolerate the musical stylings of Tommy Jarrell shouldn’t have a problem with the music in Storybots, but it is apparently a bridge too far for me. I made up alternate lyrics to their theme song that sums up my impression: “We wanted They Might Be Giants but they demanded compensation So we ripped them off with none of the charm And twice the irritation STORRRRRRRRRRYBOTS” In addition, my kid has ADHD and this just breaks her brain. It goes from short vignette to short vignette, and there’s a lot of yelling. And as I mentioned before, the songs don’t really go with the rest of the episode. I am not joking when I say that Spongebob Squarepants is less chaotic and annoying. One of the bots has a laugh that is *more annoying* than Spongebob’s, which is an impressive feat, actually. Also I feel like it’s trying too hard to get younger GenX/elder Millennial parents to please, please love it and that makes me really hate it. It smacks of effort. Honestly though, it’s totally fine, and anyone who can tolerate it should know that it’s a perfectly good educational show. My husband and I feel like huge grumps because we don’t like it! If you find yourself easily annoyed by kids’ shows, do yourself a favor and screen it first.

Good concept, poor execution

My 4 year old loves this show, and I love the concept of it, but the final version isn’t something I can get behind. While the questions are interesting, they are constantly jumping from the questions to odd breaks, and a lot of the humor goes way over my kids head. The boss is terrible, screaming and treating the storybots poorly, everyone is yelling, and they have 2 characters who just appear in the odd breaks from the story misbehaving. Every time I have let my kid watch this, we have behavior issues with yelling and running and throwing things, because he’s “being a bot”. It’s now banned in our house. If your children are the type to try and emulate things they see in a show, pass on this one.

Best kids show, ever.

I literally made an account just to say how wonderful The Storybots are after reading a disappointing review about it being “too flashy and busy”. This is not only one of my favorite shows to watch with my boys, but theirs too. They cover a vast array of information! The songs they sing for every episode are so cute and catchy! My family and I love to re-watch and sing a long! They have funny things for adults and childrens, and lots of great actors/musicians make an appearance on the show as well. A+++. Really can’t say enough great things about this show! In my opinion the negative reviews are made by a bunch of sticklers :p Lighten up people!

Storybots

What would I do without story bots!! My life would be OVER and my daughter will go crazy she’s loved story bots since she’s been 2months and don’t go a day without since! We love story bots !! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ 10 outa 10

The best educational show of today!

This show is super awesome. The animation is well made. The characters are well designed. The message is possible and clear. I like how they simplify each subject to be easy for little kids to understand. My 4 year old kid learned so much from this show. It's amazing how she now have a basic knowledge of electrical engineering, and medical...all because of this little show. This further her knowledge so much. She started to talk about things from the show such as what is electron? And she wanna learn more about white blood cells and see what the real stuff looks like after watching this show. This opens up so much more learning opportunity for us. She started looking at adult science books and pointed out imageries of DNA, cells, atoms, planets, etc. All because this show gave her foundation of knowledge. It totally changed outlives! One time she was looking at an illustration of middle ear in a medical book. She pointed out the bones and called out their names, Malleus, Incus, and Stapes. Amazing! The songs are great and catchy. They arIe not horrible and annoying like other kids shows.