Parent and Kid Reviews on

Atypical Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 22 parent reviews

Sort by:

Very enjoyable and thoughtful as well as hilarious

This is about the struggles and triumphs of Sam, who is on the Autism spectrum, but also about his sister, Casey, who sometimes protects him but likes to tease and torture him. The show deals with Sam's unique difficulties but also his family's. The parents have not dealt with his autism well (the father abandoned them for several months and the mother has an affair). They do not fit into the "normal" social circle of other parents, which feels real, since Michael Rapaport as the father is just unlikable, as is Jennifer Jason Leigh, whose performance is far too manic. Sam also has trouble fitting in at school. His best friend, Zahid, is also like a Yoda, who tells him how to handle everything from dating to learning how to lie on his college application (Sam is very literal and usually doesn't lie). Some parents might find Zahid's frequent sex talk off-putting or even immoral but I can't imagine that many kids will! They hear it every day. Sam has a good therapist, Julia, but things go awry when he tells her he loves her and she yells at him, causing a breakdown. Sister Casey also has challenges: she must decide whether to go to a private school and is tormented by her track teammates since she is their best runner. She is torn as well between supportive boyfriend, Evan and her new and often nasty love interest, Izzie. The latter is having lots of difficulty coming out as a Lesbian and often takes out her frustration on Casey. this feels like a very realistic portrayal of some teens' experience. Actually, this show would be even better if the young people were left to their own devices!

2 people found this helpful.

Really good but tons of sex references

The show that revolves around sexual desires and situations, with plenty of crass/mysogenistic/rude sexual content. I don't understand why Common Sense rates this 13+. Having said that I agree that the positive messages and characters are really worth watching - just for a much older age group that will understand the humour and the nature of the sexual depictions.

1 person found this helpful.

Cast members who are disgusting in real life.

Michael Rapaport is a horrible human being. The fact the show has someone in the cast that calls minors coc*suc*ers , and who is constantly bullying people on Twitter is disgusting. Its even more disturbing given the plot of the show being about a young adult with autism. Sad, was a good show but I will never be able to watch it the same again.
1 person found this helpful.

It's ok

The show is about a boy with autism trying to find a girlfriend. I think it's a good show for 15+ year olds

Good and accessible story

This series does a great job of showing life for a very realistic family that includes a member on the autism spectrum. I know some may be unsettled with an honest storyline that centers on a working class teenage autistic kid navigating his way into young adulthood - it's a refreshing and honest take. The characters are completely believable. I also love how the writers are careful to deal with gender power dynamics, both among teens and adults, which make this series all the more worthwhile.

Description makes it seem much worse than it is

I watched a few episodes of this with my 13 year old daughter and honestly - there is nothing to worry about. I am quite careful about what I let my kids watch but this is fine. There are quite a few sexual references in the first few episodes but nothing kids age 11 wouldn't know about. The description is very exaggerated in my opinion. After the first few episodes, it doesn't talk about sex too much, and Sam settles down in a long healthy relationship. This is a great comedy show about a teenager on the spectrum and a fun show for kids age 11 and up.

To Enjoy with Your Older Teens

Atypical represents a teenager with Autism who throughout the show learns to be independent and learn life skills and how to better deal with social situations throughout high school (S1-2) and college (S3). He is both bullied and defended in heartwarming moments. The mother of this show has an affair with a bartender (S1). This results in complicated family dynamics throughout the rest of the series, and a the mother leaving the house for a season (S2). "Sex Talk" and typical teenage humor is almost completely the comic relief in this show. For older teenagers, this crude humor is hilarious and for the parents watching the show with them, cheek-reddening. The characters on this show both talk and participate in sexual activities, although sex is never explicitly shown. The younger sister of the show deals with her own struggles with bullying (S1, S2), new relationships (S1) and sexuality (S3). Especially in season 3, her struggles with her sexuality represent that of many LGBT teenagers. Overall, this show is fun and lighthearted: albeit, with a lot of crude humor -- perfect for the 16+ teenager.

This is the best movie ever

This is a really good movie funny may have a bit of language and sex jokes but not that bad there is a woman and a man in bed at one point but there is no nudity and you can not see anything

Brilliant!!

every episode brings a smile to your face. A must watch for everyone as it lets helps you know a bit about Atypical people and their family. Would be great to see more work done on the first responses in season 3 and NetFlix should go on making this series. Great job everybody!!