Parent reviews for Atypical

Laughs, heart, in excellent series about teen with autism.

Parent Written byKay M. August 18, 2017

Great show!

Fantastic show with sensitive situations as well as many comic moments. Would I have wanted my kids to see it at 12 or 13? No! Between the sex talk and seeing a parent having an affair I feel the show should be seen by a more mature audience. As an adult, I loved it. The characters are easy to love and well acted. The writing is wonderful and deserves recognition. I look forward to a second season and hope the show is nominated for multiple awards!

Parent of a 9, 12, and 14-year-old Written byDeanna M. February 6, 2018

Not for kids

As a parent to a child with autism, it was recommended to us that we watch this show with our children. Having noticed the TV-MA rating, we previewed the show before showing our kids and I'm SO GLAD WE DID! The *last* thing I want my son to think is that he's a "weirdo" and that's the first line of the first episode.

The main plot of the show is a kid with autism trying to have sex with someone, anyone. The sexual content isn't just an undertone--it is the basis for the series. The language was offensive and the infidelity in the family is unnecessary to make the point about autism in families.

Did the actor playing the main character embody some autistic "characteristics" accurately? For sure. The actors satisfactorily convey the roles. For writers to stoop so low as to rely on sex appeal is sad and disgusting.

Try The Good Doctor for a positive role model. This doesn't cut it.

Adult Written bymillieee January 15, 2020

Description makes it seem much worse than it is

I watched a few episodes of this with my 13 year old daughter and honestly - there is nothing to worry about. I am quite careful about what I let my kids watch but this is fine. There are quite a few sexual references in the first few episodes but nothing kids age 11 wouldn't know about. The description is very exaggerated in my opinion. After the first few episodes, it doesn't talk about sex too much, and Sam settles down in a long healthy relationship. This is a great comedy show about a teenager on the spectrum and a fun show for kids age 11 and up.

Parent Written bysunagracehall April 8, 2019

Great show, good depiction of teen w ASD

As the parent of a child on the spectrum I really enjoyed this show. I did not find the discussions about Sam (main character) finding a girlfriend or kissing for the first time to be too graphic or sexual. He is 18 and a senior in high school so it's more appropriate than many shows. The subject matter can be intense but it's very real. Having a child on the autism spectrum IS super intense and it can be all-consuming for the whole family, a theme that they often explore in the show. I think my 13 yo daughter would like to watch it, I think my 10yo son (who is ASD) could wait a couple years. The mature/emotional content (virginity, infidelity, bullying, marriage issues, etc) are all dealt with positively.

Adult Written byBailey21 December 15, 2019

To Enjoy with Your Older Teens

Atypical represents a teenager with Autism who throughout the show learns to be independent and learn life skills and how to better deal with social situations throughout high school (S1-2) and college (S3). He is both bullied and defended in heartwarming moments.
The mother of this show has an affair with a bartender (S1). This results in complicated family dynamics throughout the rest of the series, and a the mother leaving the house for a season (S2).
"Sex Talk" and typical teenage humor is almost completely the comic relief in this show. For older teenagers, this crude humor is hilarious and for the parents watching the show with them, cheek-reddening. The characters on this show both talk and participate in sexual activities, although sex is never explicitly shown.
The younger sister of the show deals with her own struggles with bullying (S1, S2), new relationships (S1) and sexuality (S3). Especially in season 3, her struggles with her sexuality represent that of many LGBT teenagers.

Overall, this show is fun and lighthearted: albeit, with a lot of crude humor -- perfect for the 16+ teenager.

Adult Written byelligjackson February 4, 2019

awesome!!!

they FINALLY changed the rating to a TV-14 rating!!!

Adult Written byJackyboy January 26, 2019

Inappropriate

Yes, the subject matter is important but the drug usage, infidelity, language and degrading sexual innuendo relating to getting sex is just inappropriate for young people. It’s a shame because it may have been helpful for my 12 year old son with autism.

Adult Written byWendyWenWen October 15, 2018

Best Show

I was hooked within 5 minutes of watching. Everyone will be able to relate.

Adult Written byUrmom6969 December 1, 2019

This is the best movie ever

This is a really good movie funny may have a bit of language and sex jokes but not that bad there is a woman and a man in bed at one point but there is no nudity and you can not see anything

Adult Written byDenzel Mckeown December 1, 2019

Brilliant!!

every episode brings a smile to your face. A must watch for everyone as it lets helps you know a bit about Atypical people and their family. Would be great to see more work done on the first responses in season 3 and NetFlix should go on making this series. Great job everybody!!

Adult Written bySanaramae November 28, 2019

AMAZING

I absolutely live this show! I think it gives any person who watches it insight into the lives of those struggling with autism. All of the characters are heart warming and real. The quality of acting is amazing and this is my family’s go to show. There is some sex, the content is explicit with language and some very mild scenes. One of the characters talks about wanting sec and or how to get sex. Overall I live this show so much!

Adult Written byGwynneth June 23, 2020

Very enjoyable and thoughtful as well as hilarious

This is about the struggles and triumphs of Sam, who is on the Autism spectrum, but also about his sister, Casey, who sometimes protects him but likes to tease and torture him. The show deals with Sam's unique difficulties but also his family's. The parents have not dealt with his autism well (the father abandoned them for several months and the mother has an affair). They do not fit into the "normal" social circle of other parents, which feels real, since Michael Rapaport as the father is just unlikable, as is Jennifer Jason Leigh, whose performance is far too manic. Sam also has trouble fitting in at school. His best friend, Zahid, is also like a Yoda, who tells him how to handle everything from dating to learning how to lie on his college application (Sam is very literal and usually doesn't lie). Some parents might find Zahid's frequent sex talk off-putting or even immoral but I can't imagine that many kids will! They hear it every day. Sam has a good therapist, Julia, but things go awry when he tells her he loves her and she yells at him, causing a breakdown. Sister Casey also has challenges: she must decide whether to go to a private school and is tormented by her track teammates since she is their best runner. She is torn as well between supportive boyfriend, Evan and her new and often nasty love interest, Izzie. The latter is having lots of difficulty coming out as a Lesbian and often takes out her frustration on Casey. this feels like a very realistic portrayal of some teens' experience. Actually, this show would be even better if the young people were left to their own devices!

Parent Written byaghori March 14, 2020

Adult Written bymozarteide March 1, 2019
Adult Written byjmiller4180 January 28, 2019

Cast members who are disgusting in real life.

Michael Rapaport is a horrible human being. The fact the show has someone in the cast that calls minors coc*suc*ers , and who is constantly bullying people on Twitter is disgusting. Its even more disturbing given the plot of the show being about a young adult with autism. Sad, was a good show but I will never be able to watch it the same again.
Adult Written byCool jerkerama December 29, 2018
This show is a sad funny and a spectacular show that will always be one of the best Netflix originals out now. In this show their is a lot of talk about sexual stuff and sometimes their is people doing some sexual stuff. Their is no violence in this show. Their is some bad language but not that much. Overall this show is a spectacular show and is fine for kids 12 and up.
Adult Written byjohnmajor December 19, 2018

its for older teens 15 and up boy or girl

i think its for 15 and up parents should be aware it has things in it you might not wont kids to see but like i said 15 is a great age to be watching this show in my opinion it has things that teenagers are already exposed to not saying its okay just because their exposed already but overall its a great tv show

Adult Written bySassy.xo September 30, 2018
Adult Written bysummabeanz September 14, 2018

Love it - just wish i could watch it with my kid!!

I'm only on episode 2, season 1 and am pretty clear that I can't watch this with my 11 year old. It's disappointing because I think he would really enjoy it and relate to it as well. His brother is on the spectrum. However, the sexual content is not appropriate for his age. I just read in the description on here that the main main character will be masturbated by someone in his backyard soon. Just look into it a bit first!!

Adult Written byCelestine E. June 7, 2018