All parent member reviews for Avatar: The Last Airbender

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bycvanorder April 9, 2008

Great family show

My husband and I enjoy the shows as much as our two boys, 6 and 8. The story and character develop are well above average for a children's show. There are many "teaching" moments in each episode. The adults characters are respected and there are consequences for negative behaviors by the younger characters. Overall the brightest spot in the Nick line up.
Adult Written byJohn M April 9, 2008

One of the Best Shows on TV for Adults or Children

Excellent show that depicts children that act like real children who argue, make mistakes, and sometimes need turn to wise adults for guidance and advice. Deep epic themes and plots that an adult can appreciate but a child can also enjoy. Some themes based on Eastern philosophy but through a distinctly American lens. Better than almost any other science fiction or fantasy show on TV today, even for adults.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAvatar Forever July 10, 2010

Perfect as entertainment for kids and perfect for adults for entertainment AND knowledge.

Avatar:The Last Airbender is actually an excellent show. I'm now 18 but the show brings back memories everytime I watch it again; my friends and I grew up watching the episodes in middle school when it was new on Nickelodeon. For us, at the time, it was all about action, comedy, and pure joy watching and discussing the new episodes that came out every week. But now that I watch it again from time to time, I realize the secret hidden messages; the show contains some wisdom from the ancient Hind Phillosophy ( as it is name "AVATAR" ) and stuff, good, beneficial meaningg, that you can carry into your lives. Just makes me sad every time I watch it again and I get to the end of the book 3. So yeah I highly recommend it.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Wonderful for the whole family to watch together!

I began watching Avatar with my son when he was 7 (two years ago) and the whole family is now hooked including my now 7 year old daughter who loves to pretend to bend. The characters are wonderfully complex and the conflicts they face led to wonderful discussions with my son as the show really supports values that I want to instill in my children including creativity, resourcefulness, forgiveness, respect, independence and compassion. It is intelligent and treats its audience with respectin maintaing high quality in every episode. I really believe it is the best show on TV in any category!
Adult Written byMadManMoon April 9, 2008

Trememndous epic storyline. Humorous. Excellent themes.

As a parent who refuses to let my children watch the likes of Pokemon and DragonballZ, I was weary of Avatar during the promo period. After watching it with my boys, it was obvious that this is an intelligent and interesting program. It reminds me of the epic "Star Blazers" I watched as a child. I have no reservations at all in letting my 5 and 7 year old watch it. Tremendous themes on right and wrong, without throwing it in your face. The show respects the often overlooked ability of a child's ability to grasp subtlety. Very good animation. Very good sound. I am impressed on how it looks our HD widescreen and the audio system.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byNever Mind January 5, 2011

It was AWESOME

This show was just perfect. Impeccable. Though there was a lot of violence, no blood! Some burning and bruising, but they have magic healing powers, so it's all good! It is educational for it's connection with Chinese culture and teaches us about the balance of the world. And the main character is a very well mannered roe model. He is a pacifist, and doesn't kill. He doesn't believe that revenge is a good thing, and just wants to have fun. (The whole vegetarian thing could be debated for the health of the young ones, but it fits Aang's character.) All in all, I loved it! Well done Nickalodeon!
Adult Written byW_G_Cutless April 9, 2008

This is the good stuff!

Its amazing, the Nick! network has one of the best shows on american television right now. I'm eighteen and this has got to be one of the best shows I've ever watched. Granted the first season is targeted mostly at young kids, and I disrarged it and thought it nothing more than a passing fad at first glance, but once the second season made air the show became apealing, the characters began to have backstory, and depth, and I actually went back and shelled out $52.00 for the season one box set. This is a great show for families, and my fifty year old mom has even gotten into it. The show does deal with issues like fighting, violence, and war but it also at the same time instills great value and moral lessons. I could go on and on about this show but I'll end it here on the note... This is one of the best shows for families on air today, and is very well drawn, and colorful. Parents, and young adults can enjoy the beautiful artwork, story, and sly remarks between characters as they sit down and watch it with the kids who will love the crazy antics, and mild slapstick comedy. This is far more suitible for the future of America than vile programs like Mr. Meatly, Bratz, etc...
Parent of a 6 year old Written byrockstarmamapdx April 12, 2012

Not Just for Boys

It's surprising that you don't give this show a higher "Postive Role Model" rating given that so many of the female characters are heroic, have agency, and are generally well-rounded and fully fleshed-out. (They also tend to be better warriors than their male counterparts.) It also is a little dismaying to read other user reviews and see that most of the responses are from boys, or families w/ boys. This series is for EVERYONE. Girls will identify with Toff and Katara, trust us.
Adult Written byGrawsome July 6, 2011

Yes, it even has girl power.

Many comments have praised how well Avatar teaches positive morals like respect and compassion. I would like to take this chance to highlight how well the show handles its female characters. The women and girls of Avatar are deep, brave, and powerful figures; they aren't there to just shop and talk about boys while the men solve all the problems. They are fantastic role models for any young lady, which is rare in many movies or tv shows, let alone cartoons.
Parent of a 5 and 13 year old Written byMamaB2C January 10, 2011

Surprisingly sophisticated

We loved this series. The characters are human; flawed, they fail, but they keep trying and keep learning and they continue to grow. The nature of people is depicted in a realistic context of balance, as few characters are pure good or pure evil but instead conflicted or given to negative emotions at times. The martial arts are used to good effect and reinforce our son's TKD practice. The Eastern spirituality and mysticism is heavy, and may need discussing if it differs from your family beliefs.
Adult Written byNeyer November 15, 2010

Wonderful!

Role models, respect-your-elders, positive messages and education abound! This show is probably the most thoughtful show on television in the new century. There are constant alludes to ancient martial arts and their ultimate goals of teaching discipline and self-control over violence. Aang, the protagonist, is a young child who believes in duty, justice and honor over all else. As a monk he is a strict vegetarian and has a deep connection with the earth and the spirits that live in it. He shows the utmost respect towards his elders and the forces of nature and strives to teach the world to achieve the same goals. Ultimately his main goal is to stop the war and provide all the nations with peace and prosperity. There is a moment near the end where the majority of the characters attempt to convince Aang that killing the ultimate antagonist is the only way to achieve peace, but he proves them wrong and finds a way to stop the Fire Lord's reign of terror without harming him, much less killing him. Being a child there are momentary lapses in common sense and a few instances of disregard for safety, but in the end it's very similar to what a normal child Aang's age is expected to do. There isn't an overabundance of violence, either, but it's there. Only one character dies, but it's only implied since he's still alive when he disappears under the water. I highly recommend this show for all viewers! Parents and children alike!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCarl Fox November 14, 2010

Good stuff!

Wonderful series, lovely animation and rock-solid storytelling. The fighting can be a bit intense at times, but is not the focus save for one or two climatic battles (and even then, the good guys win honorably and with quick thinking). This is a great series to introduce young viewers to similar Japanese animation, as well; it would be right at home with the finest anime. (I strongly recommend the series over the live-action adaption, as well; the latter simply does not measure up to what came before it.)
Parent of a 12 year old Written byAunt Cat April 15, 2010

For Kids Who Won't Imitate Martial Arts Moves at Day Care

When my grand-nephew came to visit, he watched this show, and I got addicted too. Yes, I'm a 57-year-old grandma (my kid is actually 36). My brother, age 50, also loves it; his kids, 11 and 13, turned him on to it. Great viewing for people of any age. The characters have depth, the art is gorgeous, and the Avatar "universe" is fully developed. Great life lessons on not giving up, discipline, respecting people of other cultures, choosing the right path, and knowing when to take a new direction. What's not to love!!! Very mild reservation for kids who are bumptious and physical in day care or kindergarten.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byjmundstuk April 9, 2008

I'm completely into it

My 7 year old nephew loves Avatar...and so do I. He doesn't see the martial arts connection yet -- although they teach him basic Aikido in his school -- but I think the fact that all of the fights are based on various martial arts is laying a good base. The characters are interesting and well-voiced and the animation is really excellent. Also notice that when there are fights, and there are fights at least once per episode, the combatants almost never actually touch each other; they fight using their bending powers. My nephew has picked this up and instead of wanting to fight after seeing an episode, he wants to "bend" using things like pillows of various colors. This is a good thing, no?
Adult Written byravenx99 April 9, 2008

Much more than cartoon chop-socky!

I'm 39 and I have watch Avatar with my son... we love this show! Not only are the fight scenes well-choreographed (they use real-life actors to model their moves), but there's a lot of depth to the story. Avatar explores devotion to friends and family, doing what's right instead of what's expected by those around you, and the use, misuse and responsibilities of power. The most interesting journey is perhaps not that of Ang, the Avatar, but of his enemy, Prince Zuko of the Fire Nation. It's good entertainment, promotes healthy and meaningful attitudes in complicated situations where the right thing to do is not obvious.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byAllisonSmith March 3, 2015

Fine for Babies

I show my two year old Avatar and he loves it. I also have an eight year old who started watching it at two and he's doing great. Although there is fighting in Avatar it teaches you how to avoid it and only use it at a last resort. Avatar also sends great messages and helped him learn new words!
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byAma Mia January 8, 2015

Best kids show ever!!

I watched one show to check it out and got hooked! Great plot and character development! Great life themes led to great conversations with my kids...about life, destiny, forgiveness, family, friendship, sociopaths and how to recognize them, and more!
Parent Written byashley657 October 13, 2013

For kids?!

No! This is an absolute disgrace. I found my 3 year old child sitting at the TV watching it. There were sexual references and jokes between characters! I have banned my child from watching it! One of the characters got high on cactus and it is not a positive message to anyone. Why is this even on Nickelodeon?!
Educator and Parent Written byLaUnica July 31, 2013

Good time

Great show that my 8 year old & I both enjoyed watching.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byBonkersfan1995 March 22, 2013

The Best and Most Popular Action-Adventure Cartoon Show Ever!

Everyone knows and loves Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's an awesome show that contains violence and scary moments. I watch that cartoon all the time just like them. XD