All parent member reviews for Avatar: The Last Airbender

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bycvanorder April 9, 2008

Great family show

My husband and I enjoy the shows as much as our two boys, 6 and 8. The story and character develop are well above average for a children's show. There are many "teaching" moments in each episode. The adults characters are respected and there are consequences for negative behaviors by the younger characters. Overall the brightest spot in the Nick line up.
Adult Written byJohn M April 9, 2008

One of the Best Shows on TV for Adults or Children

Excellent show that depicts children that act like real children who argue, make mistakes, and sometimes need turn to wise adults for guidance and advice. Deep epic themes and plots that an adult can appreciate but a child can also enjoy. Some themes based on Eastern philosophy but through a distinctly American lens. Better than almost any other science fiction or fantasy show on TV today, even for adults.
Adult Written byMadManMoon April 9, 2008

Trememndous epic storyline. Humorous. Excellent themes.

As a parent who refuses to let my children watch the likes of Pokemon and DragonballZ, I was weary of Avatar during the promo period. After watching it with my boys, it was obvious that this is an intelligent and interesting program. It reminds me of the epic "Star Blazers" I watched as a child. I have no reservations at all in letting my 5 and 7 year old watch it. Tremendous themes on right and wrong, without throwing it in your face. The show respects the often overlooked ability of a child's ability to grasp subtlety. Very good animation. Very good sound. I am impressed on how it looks our HD widescreen and the audio system.
Adult Written byravenx99 April 9, 2008

Much more than cartoon chop-socky!

I'm 39 and I have watch Avatar with my son... we love this show! Not only are the fight scenes well-choreographed (they use real-life actors to model their moves), but there's a lot of depth to the story. Avatar explores devotion to friends and family, doing what's right instead of what's expected by those around you, and the use, misuse and responsibilities of power. The most interesting journey is perhaps not that of Ang, the Avatar, but of his enemy, Prince Zuko of the Fire Nation. It's good entertainment, promotes healthy and meaningful attitudes in complicated situations where the right thing to do is not obvious.
Adult Written byW_G_Cutless April 9, 2008

This is the good stuff!

Its amazing, the Nick! network has one of the best shows on american television right now. I'm eighteen and this has got to be one of the best shows I've ever watched. Granted the first season is targeted mostly at young kids, and I disrarged it and thought it nothing more than a passing fad at first glance, but once the second season made air the show became apealing, the characters began to have backstory, and depth, and I actually went back and shelled out $52.00 for the season one box set. This is a great show for families, and my fifty year old mom has even gotten into it. The show does deal with issues like fighting, violence, and war but it also at the same time instills great value and moral lessons. I could go on and on about this show but I'll end it here on the note... This is one of the best shows for families on air today, and is very well drawn, and colorful. Parents, and young adults can enjoy the beautiful artwork, story, and sly remarks between characters as they sit down and watch it with the kids who will love the crazy antics, and mild slapstick comedy. This is far more suitible for the future of America than vile programs like Mr. Meatly, Bratz, etc...
Parent of a 12 year old Written byAunt Cat April 15, 2010

For Kids Who Won't Imitate Martial Arts Moves at Day Care

When my grand-nephew came to visit, he watched this show, and I got addicted too. Yes, I'm a 57-year-old grandma (my kid is actually 36). My brother, age 50, also loves it; his kids, 11 and 13, turned him on to it. Great viewing for people of any age. The characters have depth, the art is gorgeous, and the Avatar "universe" is fully developed. Great life lessons on not giving up, discipline, respecting people of other cultures, choosing the right path, and knowing when to take a new direction. What's not to love!!! Very mild reservation for kids who are bumptious and physical in day care or kindergarten.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byjmundstuk April 9, 2008

I'm completely into it

My 7 year old nephew loves Avatar...and so do I. He doesn't see the martial arts connection yet -- although they teach him basic Aikido in his school -- but I think the fact that all of the fights are based on various martial arts is laying a good base. The characters are interesting and well-voiced and the animation is really excellent. Also notice that when there are fights, and there are fights at least once per episode, the combatants almost never actually touch each other; they fight using their bending powers. My nephew has picked this up and instead of wanting to fight after seeing an episode, he wants to "bend" using things like pillows of various colors. This is a good thing, no?
Parent of a 17 year old Written byNever Mind January 5, 2011

It was AWESOME

This show was just perfect. Impeccable. Though there was a lot of violence, no blood! Some burning and bruising, but they have magic healing powers, so it's all good! It is educational for it's connection with Chinese culture and teaches us about the balance of the world. And the main character is a very well mannered roe model. He is a pacifist, and doesn't kill. He doesn't believe that revenge is a good thing, and just wants to have fun. (The whole vegetarian thing could be debated for the health of the young ones, but it fits Aang's character.) All in all, I loved it! Well done Nickalodeon!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAvatar Forever July 10, 2010

Perfect as entertainment for kids and perfect for adults for entertainment AND knowledge.

Avatar:The Last Airbender is actually an excellent show. I'm now 18 but the show brings back memories everytime I watch it again; my friends and I grew up watching the episodes in middle school when it was new on Nickelodeon. For us, at the time, it was all about action, comedy, and pure joy watching and discussing the new episodes that came out every week. But now that I watch it again from time to time, I realize the secret hidden messages; the show contains some wisdom from the ancient Hind Phillosophy ( as it is name "AVATAR" ) and stuff, good, beneficial meaningg, that you can carry into your lives. Just makes me sad every time I watch it again and I get to the end of the book 3. So yeah I highly recommend it.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Wonderful for the whole family to watch together!

I began watching Avatar with my son when he was 7 (two years ago) and the whole family is now hooked including my now 7 year old daughter who loves to pretend to bend. The characters are wonderfully complex and the conflicts they face led to wonderful discussions with my son as the show really supports values that I want to instill in my children including creativity, resourcefulness, forgiveness, respect, independence and compassion. It is intelligent and treats its audience with respectin maintaing high quality in every episode. I really believe it is the best show on TV in any category!
Parent of a 4 year old Written bymarykins2004 April 9, 2008

Parent Written bycharmingjen September 23, 2011

Avatar great for watching together as a family

Adult Written byGrawsome July 6, 2011

Yes, it even has girl power.

Many comments have praised how well Avatar teaches positive morals like respect and compassion. I would like to take this chance to highlight how well the show handles its female characters. The women and girls of Avatar are deep, brave, and powerful figures; they aren't there to just shop and talk about boys while the men solve all the problems. They are fantastic role models for any young lady, which is rare in many movies or tv shows, let alone cartoons.
Parent Written bythatanimechick July 13, 2011

Short note

A note : this isn't Anime. ANime is animation from JAPAN not America or Korea as avatar was/ is. It is a general mistake but not one ot be made in front of fans.
Adult Written byAbracadebra April 9, 2008

My 7 year old loves this show, and I am very impressed by it. It is a smartly written, complex narrative with lots of interesting characters, both people and creatures. I like the epic quality of the show, and the intelligent way it handle conflicts, both interpersonal and intertribal. I think it would be easy to underestimate this show if you're not a fan of Japanese anime, but I recommend giving it a chance. It's a show that demands a lot of its viewers in terms of understanding the show's eastern-based mythology. It doesn't talk down to kids, or treat kids as a superior species to adults, which is refreshing.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjems2 April 23, 2011

Perfect for the whole family

It's just about the best tv series ever made. The level of complexity is incredible and the life messages are second to none.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfriendlytoanimals June 4, 2011

Wonderful Series

Our whole family LOVES this show - adults too. Yes, it is violent - there is a lot of fantastical martial arts style fighting. Usually I have a no violence policy, but the surrounding story, messages and complexity of the show trumped the violence. Ultimately this is an incredible series that can be enjoyed by kids and grownups alike
Parent Written byicehockeymom November 20, 2011

I enjoyed watching this with my 9-yr-old

Parent of a 1 and 8 year old Written bySteffauri516 July 21, 2011

Great series for all~

I have an 8 year old daughter and unfortunately (I think) Avatar is no longer on Nickelodeon but she still catches episodes we have on DVD or on TV; a great, colorfully animated and engaging show with lots of fun characters and adventure. There is no swearing evident in the show, there is mild romance, just kissing, so that's not really a problem. However, there is quite a bit of violence in this show, hinted deaths of minor characters (Katara's mother, random soldiers, etc.) weapon use and hand to hand combat. The role models in this show are very admirable though, the main characters always help one another and stick up for the right thing. This show is on for children 6 and up.
Educator and Parent Written byMichaelRD November 29, 2011

Excellent

I loved how the characters developed over the course of the series. They go through real problems, and they come out noticeably more mature. I was also impressed by how the characters explicitly talk about right and wrong in a lot of different situations.