All parent member reviews for Awkward.

Adult Written byTaylorg93 August 31, 2011

People need to stop reviewing shows they don't actually watch!

People that have never seen the show need to stop writing reviews! Its an excellent show with lots of positive messages and if you didn't know that, then you obviously didn't see any other episode than the first. For example, She has the bullies weight journal, but decides to return it because she learned to be the better person. and BTW teenagers that were raised properly actually listen to you if you are on their level! I have seen shows and movies with sex, drugs and violence since I was 10, and I am not a rebellious teen! I don't drink, have sex with random strangers, or do any other activity that you would call bad.
Parent Written byBishop Loves Gir September 14, 2011

Stop hatin if you aren't watchin'!

Awkward has recived bad reviews.People say its crude and weird.DUH!TS CALLED AWKWARD.!I enjoy the show.Its great for kids who are bllied.They feel like they are not alone.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byMuffinsMummy October 5, 2012

Awesome show - but check it out first

Firstly, I'd like to point out that my husband and I watch this WITHOUT our daughter! :o) I do think it's a show for sensible teenagers or young-at-heart adults, NOT for younger children. As with any show targeted at this vulnerable age group, I believe the parent/s should check out a few episodes first and make their own mind up with regard to their own child, but personally I would have no problem with a 15 year old watching this. It's a brilliant show - well-written, clever, genuinely funny (without having to resort to gutter/toilet-humour), and yes, even has positive messages for teenager viewers. Yes, there's a fair bit of sex (especially in early episodes), and I was a little surprised at the way this is clearly presented as the norm. But here's something that (surprisingly) noone else has mentioned: the casual encounters are generally not portrayed as a positive thing - on the contrary, Jenna comes to regret having raced into things with Matty, and the teens in the show who ARE portrayed as more promiscuous are definitely not intended to be our favourite characters (I'm looking at you, Ricky Schwartz). There is definitely a lack of adult role models, although it is interesting to note that as the series progresses, some of these characters (especially Jenna's mother) become less one-dimensional. Similarly, the Mean-Girls-style bully at school is given a bit of back story that opens a little window of empathy for her in the mind of the viewer. We still don't condone Sadie's behaviour of course, but her motivations do become a little clearer to us. On the whole, I think this is a great show, which should nevertheless be approached with a bit of caution by more conservative parents, or parents of younger teens.
Adult Written bygkdavis August 20, 2011

Akward is Okay

It's entertaining I'm sseventeen and for abstinance but I watch it. I think it's okay for mature teens who are educated about sex and the baggage that comes along with it. For parents you may want to make sure your child knows that sex isn't a casual thing and should be taken seriously.
Adult Written byiamcaek October 2, 2011

Being 'Awkward' is Endearing.

Awkward is an awesome, witty, humorous, and poignant show. High school is long gone for me, but I wish I had this show around when I was a high school student. The positive message it has for insecure teenagers is amazing, and really brings to light the sometimes inane feelings young adults possess in certain situations. Who hasn't wanted to "off" themselves when they were a teenager due to the multiple anxieties of work, school, family, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends? There's a lot of pressure to be a certain way in high school, and I think the show accurately portrays that. Of course, I wouldn't recommend this show as a "family" show. I think it's geared towards tweens (14+) and adults (18+). There is cursing (though it's censored), sex (though you never actually see anyone nekkid), and drinking (though it's in the cliched red cups). But the show doesn't necessarily promote any of those ideas onto their viewers. If you're ever having a bad day, watch this show. You won't regret it - unless you don't have a heart. ;)
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byjoannab August 13, 2011

Not for kids

Not good role models or messages for teens. Reminded me of Porky's or Revenge of the Nerds (forbidden when I was a kid) without the nudity.