Parent reviews for Babar

Classic books make classy series for preschoolers.

Adult Written byJonathan S. February 6, 2020

A childhood favourite that I would really recommend!

Don't listen to the SJW nonsense you're seeing in the parent's reviews, this show is a timeless classic, with endearing characters, character development, beautiful music, hilarity, etc.

This is a gem that is not to be ignored.

Those parts involving the hunter, in the beginning, is very close to the original books by Jean De Brunhoff. Of course, dark moments like those would be a thing, and I'd say the creative crew did the best possible job you can find in a children's cartoon such as this, that can still be enjoyed by adults alike with it the clever use of vocabulary (We'd have Pompadour to thank for that).

I would most certainly share this show with my future children as well as not only having fun with the funny moments in the show, but also have meaningful discussions with them regarding what they would learn from it.

Adult Written byRealitista February 10, 2013

Quite a lot of violence.

The hunter is always chasing the elephants around with a gun, and the main character's father is killed by them. There's a lot of violence and death for a show aimed at kids.

Adult Written bysally44 September 22, 2012

Fine for 5 and Older

Okay, so Babar has some pluses for diversity and friendship, but I think it's too much for the under 5 set when there's some concepts they can't quite understand. I was disappointed to see in the first episode how Babar's mother is killed, and Babar runs around screaming, "Mama!" I think it's okay for 5 and older when you can discuss those concepts but my kids are 3, and they were very confused. "Why did the man kick Babar?" "Where's his mama?" Also, I'm not a fan of the gender role stereotypes--king/queen stuff. I don't know why this doesn't bother more people, but it's huge in my opinion. Once again, when kids are a little older, it's different because a parent can have a deeper conversation, but at 3 or under, they're just developing their understanding of gender/gender roles.

Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written byVincenzo March 26, 2020

First episode has gun violence

Excellent show! Note that in season 1, episode 1, Babar's mother is shown to be shot and killed by a hunter. This peril continues for much of the episode. Overall there are very positive messages, but my 5 yr old cried at that part!