Parent reviews for Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures

Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures Poster Image

Surprisingly good!

I love watching this show with my daughter! Barbie is a much better role model now than she was when I was a kid. I love how each of her sisters are well-developed and have their own interests and personalities, so there are multiple characters for your child to relate to. Barbie shares her (mild) issues and how she overcame them in a vlog, which I think is great for younger viewers that can’t always figure out the morale of the story on their own.

I love this.

This is a nice show that I love. I love that Daisy Doyle, the pink haired girl is normally shaped. I'm not a radical feminist who hates the svelte, thin women of cartoons but think we should have some normal shaped girls that aren't fat. Also this show has Nikki, Renee and Teresa who are black, Latina and Japanese respectively, which is great. The only problem with this show is Tammy Wen, the bully, because she's Asian. Asian bullies are very overused. If they wanted her to be Asian, they could have made her Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Filipino or Thai rather than Chinese. Literally every Asian bully in an American cartoon seems to be Chinese for some reason.

Love this show!

Most other Barbie shows out there are garbage, but finally found one that I approve of for my 7 year old! So cute & I actually enjoy watching with her!

A kid favorite that I am okay with.

Barbie's Dream House Adventures is my 6yo sons favorite show. His interest in the series took me by surprise since Barbie isn't a favorite toy at our house, we have a few fashionista dolls and that's it. The amount of marketing in this show could be concern for parents of children who are particularly prone to the gimmies, like the above reviewer said, but I have not had any problems personally. I think the show is a very good match for him because the plots cover things that he struggles with in his personal life. He has adhd and stuggles with socializing, thinking things through, and working in groups, and considering others feeling before it's too late. These topics are covered in the show and it has been a nice, low stress way to address these things when he is relaxed. A part of me is also tickled that his one of his biggest fictional role models is girl and will enthusiastically tell everyone how awesome she is. As far as the portrayal of females go in this show, I would say mostly good. I feel like the show does a decent job of promoting girls and women in STEM and unconventional female roles without demeaning traditional roles that often go unappreciated, like child care. It's refreshing to see at a time when ideals are often polorized. The girls in this show are not made of plastic (sorry, I couldn't resist that one). Not to say that it doesn't have its moments, but find me a show that doesn't. All good things aside, this show is extremely addictive, I often get more than a bit of resistance when screen time is over and this show was playing. If you have a little Barbie fan at home and are trying to cut screen time, think twice before trying this one. I think this show is great for 6+ viewers, but many of the plots are a bit too complicated for my almost 5 year old.

Much Better than the last Barbie series

My 7 year old is really enjoying this new series! I did not allow her to watch the "Life in the Dream house" series because it had too much of a focus on clothes and friendship drama. The episodes I have seen so far have much more interesting plots. There is a high focus on technology and they refer to specific Barbie products that you can buy like the Dream Camper, so if you are sensitive to the marketing then you might not like this one. The storyline is complex enough to engage older kids; though it would be fine for younger kids to watch they just might not really understand what is going in.

Super cute with positive messages

Thus show models positive family relationships between sisters, parents, and friends. Barbie's mom is a computer programmer, Barbie is into robotics, and many other charafter a have STEM related interests. Both of my girls LOVE the show.

Great show!

My daughter loves this show and I don't mind letting her watch it! It has a lot of things to be proud of in it. Women who make robots and program computers. One girl is a dj. One of the girls loves sports. To say you don't like the show because it shows electronics is dumb. They have them in the show because they are a huge part of real life now. Even in school. And they are not using them all of the time. There is even an episode where they camp outside and live like pioneers. It's a great show with a lot of lessons to be learned!

Barbie show is just what you expect

With much reluctance, I allowed my 8 year old to watch this. Before I get to the cons, there were a few pros: family members are supportive of each other, problem-solving lessons as a team, and a few non-stereotypical gender roles (e.g., Mom is a computer programmer, one of the female characters is a basketball fan). However, none of these could overcome the tiresome roles, typical of this genre: lots of electronics featured (e.g., pop-up TV screens in the kids' bedrooms) and TONS of gender-stereotypes (e.g., teen girl getting upset because she broke a nail, Dad telling Mom she is "pretty" in an effort to make-up after an argument). If your child is going to watch a show, pick something better.