Kid reviews for Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse

Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse Poster Image

If No Stars Was An Option, I’d Choose It.

To start out, this show is sexist, heteronormative, and classist. The women and girls in the show are whiny, dependent on men, sassy, and frou-frou. The romances in this show are so cheesy and stupid, not to mention with ZERO representation whatsoever. White girl meets white boy, they fall in “love” (if that’s what you’d call this clearly appearance based relationship) and live happily ever after in their fancy pink mansion. The majority of the characters are materialistic and selfish. The only time they think of others is when they want romantic attention. Oh, and did I make it clear how unrealistic the bodies of these people are? They say they are dolls, but the whole show presents a setting from a seemingly human world. Also, has anyone else noticed that there is only one character that is a person of color? And finally, characters use rude and hurtful language such as when Ken said to Ryan, “Forget your bikini?”. Other reviews call this show “satirical”, but that is simply a loophole to try to justify this horrific series. To sum it up, I would like to say: Nice work, Mattel. 👎

5 people found this helpful.

WHY??!!

Yes, people, this show is funny. But it's also EXTREMELY sexist, rude, and inappropriate. Only if you are a huge Barbie fan should you watch this. It's absolutely ridiculous. Raquel is a HUGE jerk, she says inappropriate and awful things. Ken and Ryan are always running around "Saving" the girls. The girls are constantly dressed in pink, skimpy, and sexist outfits. The whole thing is dumb. My sisters used to be nice, but (people, I'm not lying here) after watching this show, they've completely changed. now they are snotty and rude, and (despite the fact that 2 of my 3 sisters' favorite color is blue) they still think pink is a "girl" color. If you want to teach your kids to be kind and gender inclusive, then close this tab. This show is not for you.

5 people found this helpful.

It's all a conspiracy

To the average American, this show may seem like it's "child friendly" and creating "good role models". Well, sister, I got some news for you. YA WRONG! Barbie may live in a dream house, but notice how there are a bunch of secret passageways? Notice how large her closet is? And why is there an evil switch in the closet? And also who is Ken and where did he come from? Well, it all makes sense. Ken is a member of the Illuminati alongside Barbie, and they are trying to destroy the fourth wall once and for all to wreak havoc among the real world. They then proceed to loop all of their friends into their mind rotting havoc and start feeding them lies such as that they are all capable of running a boutique. I'm sorry, but ma'am, look in the mirror. That outfit isn't boutique-worthy. This show is unpredictable and crazy. I'm telling you the truth. Don't waste your time.

4 people found this helpful.

This is TERRIBLE

This series is trash. Basically barbie is skinny, white, fair- skinned, wears heels, short skirts, revealing dresses, and skinny jeans ALL THE TIME! She's always sporting something skinny, revealing and pink. There is only ONE black character in the cast!! WTH? Also Raquelle and Barbie are always going against each other fighting for ken. But, barbie is so spoiled. She has a mansion, a plane, a travel van, and a huge luxury closet. She get's whatever she wants 24/7 365! NOT OK!! This is basically telling kids you need to be RICH and FAMOUS, SKINNY and BEAUTIFUL and PALE if you want to be successful. Also barbie's sisters are SPOILED and are only happy when they get what the want. Thank goodness, this was cancelled.

3 people found this helpful.

Overrated Series. There are better shows.

Life in the dreamhouse is overrated. People keep saying its funny, as an excuse to having this show be "Good", but its not. One of the things that's considered funny is about is this girl named Raquelle, who keeps trying to compete with Barbie & is genuinely really egoistical & rude to others. Obviously she fails, and Barbie doesn't retaliate, which is a good thing, but to let it happen without consequence? Barbie just goes on as if that never happened, which I don't think thats a good thing to show, like if somebody is hurting you, you need to deal with it. Also, lets consider the fact that Barbie is "perfect" with the exception of some episodes. Thats not going to let us connect with them better, since they do not have any struggles, and barbie being perfect doesn't set a good role model, because nobody can be perfect. They need to demonstrate people running into mistakes & learning from them, because its more realistic, and thats a better way to teach kids. Take Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures, the 2018 show that came after this, for example. Barbie there, is imperfect. Some/Most episodes are about her making mistakes, and shows her learning. She & her friends in that show, are also better. They are more compassionate, they joke around, but its not bad like Life In The Dreamhouse. Speaking of Dreamhouse Adventures, there are also egoistical antagonists there, but they did them right unlike this. For starters, they do not get off scott free for what they do. Characters display disapproval when egoistical people are being bad, and even deal with it. Moreover, expanding this, the antagonists have a redemption arc, and characters like Barbie learn more about why they are like the way they are. Take Trey, an antagonist of Dreamhouse Adventures. His backstory on why he is egoistical, self absorbed, and etc, is because of self esteem issues. His parents don't really pay much attention to him despite being an only child, so it leaves him to bragging & being self absorbed since he believed that that nobody gave a damn about his good qualities. When Barbie finds out, she acknowledges the good qualities of him, and in the same episode, she says "There is always good in everyone, no matter how hard you need to look" because in hindsight, Trey is good, he just was self absorbed since he had self esteem issues. Sure he may still be like that, but its slowly getting better & with his parents being unchanged, obviously he would still be like that. Raquelle, on the other hand, on an episode, she was popular like Barbie, but wasn't happy because she was supposed to scheme plot, like she was born to do so. 0 Redemption at all. Dreamhouse adventures did their characters & antagonists so much better than this show. Overall, it may have been funny, but it also was bad in many spots. The humor, I wouldn't recommend for its intended age demographic, instead, for like adults & that stuff.
2 people found this helpful.

Please! Protect your eyes and children from this crapppp!

No…just…no…just…stay..away…from…it. All the Barbie characters look like they can literally STARE into your SOUL! I mean, their eyes are huge! I’m telling you, you’ll feel deep, INTENSE remorse if you watch this nonsense! Most scenes are so inappropriate (and that’s an UNDERSTATEMENT).

2 people found this helpful.

please don't watch this. just don't

I used to have a barbie. I'll admit it but I'll also admit that it always made me feel insecure. Barbie is sooooooooo skinny and if you google it, if an actually adult woman was her size and weight, you woudn't be able to walk. yeah, just take that in for a second. Let's talk about the show now. First of all, Barbie is a complete spoilt brat. How did she get all the money is my question. But regardless, in one episode one of her friends says "YOU'VE BEEN TO THE MOON?!?!" when she see's Barbie's closet career collection. But it was Barbie's response that really pissed me off. She says "you haven't" like bitch WHAT! Her closet is literally 10x the size of the average house in North America. Now about her sisters. Skipper is alright I think. She doesn't really engage in the whole "rich" lifestyle a whole lot and seems like the average young teen. She is also a little bit more sized like an actual person. Stacey is also okay. She definetly engages more but seems to be grateful. Chelsea is a bit strange to me. Barbie seems to be like a legal guardian to her. I would like to know where the parent is. But she definetly engages. About the guys, Ryan and Ken. To be honest even as a kid I thought both of them were gross but looking back they always had to "save" barbie and the girls. Even in the littlest of troubles. And why the heck would you install an EVIL BUTTON for the robot thing. They also include some innaproriate comments that I feel should not be included in a show meant for kids about 4 or 5. Now for her "friends" and raquelle. Her friends I feel take total advantage of everything she has and even get to take a bag full of clothes every time they are in the closet (which is 80% of the show btw). raquelle i think is a little insecure but that doesn't give her the excuse to be stealing, saying certain comments, etc. But I think she just really wants some friends and people who care about her. Finally some other topics. The whole show is pretty much garbage and based all on clothes, makeup, hairstyles, having a huge house and not once saying how grateful you are. Please just don't watch this show. Also know that all of you are beautiful just the way you are. Do what makes YOU feel good. Because YOU are the only one who makes the final decison on what happens to YOU.
2 people found this helpful.

A Horrible Show-Do NOT Watch!!!

This is the WORST show EVER!! I hate this SO much! This teaches kids that if they're blond, skinny, and rich everything will be okay. Not true at all. My sister started throwing SEVERE tantrums after she saw this, and whenever we went to the store, she would scream when she didn't get to buy whatever she wanted. Now, she tries to be like barbie, and cried because she didn't look as skinny. I have had nightmares about this. My sister also started to pretend to call her imaginary "boyfriend" on her cardboard phone, and actually tried to marry and kiss a classmate. A true horror, with WAY to much consumerism. It's SO obnoxious! DO NOT WATCH THIS!!!!

2 people found this helpful.

Steer Far Away From This Show!

I'm someone whose tastes are still developing. Even with that, I can tell that this show is very bad. Almost none of the jokes land, and the animation is really hard to look at. I wouldn't have minded this if the characters weren't so awful. Nearly every one of them is either really shallow, really dumb, or really mean. It doesn't matter if this is meant to be a parody. It should at least try to make the characters likable. When I grow up, I'm not showing this to my kids.
1 person found this helpful.

Extremely sexist!

I have a sister that always watched this show, but I always got bored of it. The girls only care about fashion and depend on boys too much. I am the kind of person that outgrows princess fast because the all depend on princes, and that gets boring and sexist, and shows that the princess is weak. Same here!

1 person found this helpful.