Kid reviews for Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse

Mock reality show plays up drama, pushes product tie-ins.

Teen, 15 years old Written byYellowLE April 17, 2016

Very Clever!

I love this show! I was very surprised when I read the other reviews on this site. The show is hilarious. Mattel is kind of making fun of it's self in clever and funny ways. It's a show for almost any age. My 18 year sister and my parents love it. Everyone I have met that watches this show at least likes it. There is definitely a lot consumerism, because it is a show about Barbie, but it's usually in joke form. The role models are mostly positive because the characters are always trying to help and if they are being selfish they learn not to be by the end of the episode.

Teen, 17 years old Written byFoodboystan25 November 7, 2019

Ryan is an stupid crab man and I love him

Barbie life in the dream house is a satirical masterpiece and in the center of it all is Ryan. His foot stance, he way he talks, the way he doesnt even like to smile. He crab dances his way into your heart and you can't get him out, his glossy hair, his bad boy style, his defined plastic pecs. Truly an Adonis of a man.
Though his guitar skills are questionable, his manly nature is not.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCatherineRoche February 7, 2018

Hilariously Ridiculous

This show cracks me up, but it's ridiculous and superficial. The characters are airheads and of course the looks are unrealistic. Barbie and Ken hug a lot and celebrate every anniversary like "19th all-night phone call." Occasional cheek kisses.

Barbie averages "3.2 hours deciding what to wear" every day, and her closet takes days to walk through. Clothing is immodest and role models are nonexistent.

The characters forgive each other, but they do it automatically and like air heads. Ryan is self-obsessed and carries cardboard cutouts of himself around. Barbie is extremely old apparently but looks like she's 20.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPoppy.bath February 6, 2016

super funny

I love to watch this with my 16 year old sister! we both think its hilarious and so silly! we never played with the dolls but both love the movies and this show! barbie is fun and kind and so are her friends and sisters! her relationship with ken and the rivalry between barbie and raquele could be hard for younger kids to understand, there is absolutely no educational value what so ever but still a good show to watch when your sick!

Kid, 11 years old August 1, 2020

Not that great. The message is not positive.

In my opinion, she's the most unlikeable character of the show. She has no personality, is a character with zero flaws and no character development. The way she looks suggests to little girls you have to be skinny and perfect, having boys want to be with you as all male characters in the show seem to be drooling over her (simping, tbh).

"Body Dimensions
Barbie does not represent the average American woman's size. This unrealistic body shape has caused many people to criticize Barbie. They say that Barbie negatively influences the way girls see their bodies and leads them to develop eating disorders and low self-esteem."

It goes against the message she is trying to send that you can be anything. You cannot be perfect. You cannot be Barbie.

She's also bland and the show is boring. But that's just my opinion.
Hopefully it helped you decide.

Teen, 15 years old Written byWatchSahara2017... July 27, 2020

Watch this. You won't be disappointed

I could not love this show any more. As long as you don't try and take it seriously, it is amazing. Also, Ken is evil, and Ken and Ryan are disaster boyfriends. Raquelle is amazing, and the best character

Teen, 14 years old Written byThe_Unknown June 25, 2020

Unpopular Opinion

Ryans singing actually sound half decent when he actually sings a full song.
Kid, 9 years old June 16, 2020

Terrible the worst thing I ever seen!!!

Barbie life in the dream house is very wierd and inappropriate!
Barbie has a perfect body image and so does all of her Friends and sisters.
It also is inappropriate because Barbie once said “ come on girls let’s go in the pool with our bikinis” you might think I’m joking but see for yourself! Look at the season 1 pool episode.
Barbie has a perfect life and dream house. It’s all pink and perfect. Life is not like that.
Also, Barbie has no parents ( for some reason) and has every job. I know that barbies saying “ you can be anything!” Is awesome, but I think it goes to far. She also has an awesome closet that goes miles and miles.
Life is not like that! Everyone wants to have a perfect little life like Barbie! Nope! This is the real world!
And it’s sad because lots of people look up to her. Its not good.
And I can go on and on!

Kid, 11 years old May 14, 2020

A Horrible Show-Do NOT Watch!!!

This is the WORST show EVER!!
I hate this SO much! This teaches kids that if they're blond, skinny, and rich everything will be okay. Not true at all. My sister started throwing SEVERE tantrums after she saw this, and whenever we went to the store, she would scream when she didn't get to buy whatever she wanted. Now, she tries to be like barbie, and cried because she didn't look as skinny. I have had nightmares about this. My sister also started to pretend to call her imaginary "boyfriend" on her cardboard phone, and actually tried to marry and kiss a classmate. A true horror, with WAY to much consumerism. It's SO obnoxious!
DO NOT WATCH THIS!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byRavenclawNerd March 1, 2020
Teen, 16 years old Written byJyunchon August 17, 2019

Holds up better for older kids or teens

The show satirises consumerism and the characters all have flaws which I’ve noticed some parents appear to have interpreted as being a bad role model for kids, which I agree with to an extent. When I was seven or eight I might have missed the point but I think people severely underestimate how mature kids are; I can guarantee you that most kids 10+ will easily recognise that the show presents consumerism as a bad thing and that the characters are flawed because people are flawed too.

The characters having flaws (Summer being competitive, Raquelle being jealous, Midge being over cautious etc.) serves as a reminder that people will always have flaws, no matter how perfect they may seem. Each character also has plenty of virtues and that shouldn’t be overlooked simply because they have an Achilles’ heel. Though the characters sometimes argue and don’t get along, the problem is always solved by the end and the characters reconcile which is something people seem to overlook.

Overall, I think the audience that will get the most enjoyment out of this is older children to adults and younger kids might struggle to distinguish jokes from behaviour that should be copied, especially with the consumerism which could be misinterpreted easily for those who don’t yet understand satire.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySassysauce June 29, 2019

Wow just wow

It is horrible for any age especially since all it’s about is being the most skinny or the most blonde or the most beautiful. And it’s like the women in that show can’t do anything ex. Barbie episode one: I’m sure we will be fine ken will come and save us. Now I’m not saying that you shouldn’t watch this I’m just saying think about how much of this you want your kids listening to

Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2019
Kid, 8 years old March 10, 2019

Hilarious show!

Barbie life in the dream-house is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen! Barbie is a little too obsessed with fashion and pink, Raquelle and Ryan are both trying to separate Barbie and Ken and some of the schemes they try to pull of are just ridiculous! All of it's just an over the top joke. I absolutely love this show and my mom and dad agree.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMyab124 August 26, 2018

More episodes

I havnt seen any new episodes in a while me and my sister love this we want more episodes

Teen, 13 years old Written byIAmTheOnlyStarShine August 2, 2018

like a comedy

i like barbie and this show is like a comedy and you guys that dont like barbie i feel bad for you

Teen, 14 years old Written byanon22 July 2, 2018
This show is an awful role model for young kids, but as a redeeming quality...it is pretty entertaining. The writers probably aimed for a satirical way to portray Barbie and her materialistic lifestyle with characters that are also too focused on what's on the outside. It is by no means inappropriate, but it does include sassy characters (Raquel for an example) and the rest who are all air headed and just...plain dumb, including Barbie herself who is 98% of the time oblivious to the dislike Raquel has towards her. Good stuff if you wanna laugh. But make sure your kid is at least smart enough to distinguish what is fake and realistic, otherwise this might not benefit them if it's what you want in the first place.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAnimationReview... June 2, 2018

Funny and Unique

This is great for adults and teenagers because it mocks the barbie brand like barbie is obessed with fashion and has good comedy. Overall Barbie is very likeable and sweet but is a little ditzy, Raquelle is really interesting and fun rival for Barbie. Also I like how the show mocks Ken and this perfect relationship. However kids might take it too seriously and act like this so it is better for older and mature viewers

Teen, 17 years old Written byTacoshrimp00 March 31, 2018
Most kids play Barbie dolls around this age, But Barbie can be cocky.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAllegretta November 12, 2017

Horrible Show With Many Disappointing Stereotypes

I am saddened by the amount of stereotypes over women that are mentioned numerous times throughout this show. Firstly, most of the characters in this show (especially Barbie) are portrayed as girls who are all into fashion, pink, glitter, and are the "stereotypical" girl. Those who watch this are made to believe that Barbie and her friends are all there is to see women. I can say as a young woman myself, that these stereotypes are not true. I would never allow my child to watch this kind of show with all the wrong messages towards how a woman should act. The only people that should watch it are those old enough to understand that this show is only a show and everything involved is definitely not true to everyone in today's society.