Kid reviews for Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse

Mock reality show plays up drama, pushes product tie-ins.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddysynCreole December 7, 2020

It's all a conspiracy

To the average American, this show may seem like it's "child friendly" and creating "good role models". Well, sister, I got some news for you. YA WRONG!
Barbie may live in a dream house, but notice how there are a bunch of secret passageways? Notice how large her closet is? And why is there an evil switch in the closet? And also who is Ken and where did he come from? Well, it all makes sense. Ken is a member of the Illuminati alongside Barbie, and they are trying to destroy the fourth wall once and for all to wreak havoc among the real world. They then proceed to loop all of their friends into their mind rotting havoc and start feeding them lies such as that they are all capable of running a boutique. I'm sorry, but ma'am, look in the mirror. That outfit isn't boutique-worthy. This show is unpredictable and crazy. I'm telling you the truth. Don't waste your time.

Teen, 15 years old Written byYellowLE April 17, 2016

Very Clever!

I love this show! I was very surprised when I read the other reviews on this site. The show is hilarious. Mattel is kind of making fun of it's self in clever and funny ways. It's a show for almost any age. My 18 year sister and my parents love it. Everyone I have met that watches this show at least likes it. There is definitely a lot consumerism, because it is a show about Barbie, but it's usually in joke form. The role models are mostly positive because the characters are always trying to help and if they are being selfish they learn not to be by the end of the episode.

Teen, 14 years old Written byanon22 July 2, 2018
This show is an awful role model for young kids, but as a redeeming quality...it is pretty entertaining. The writers probably aimed for a satirical way to portray Barbie and her materialistic lifestyle with characters that are also too focused on what's on the outside. It is by no means inappropriate, but it does include sassy characters (Raquel for an example) and the rest who are all air headed and just...plain dumb, including Barbie herself who is 98% of the time oblivious to the dislike Raquel has towards her. Good stuff if you wanna laugh. But make sure your kid is at least smart enough to distinguish what is fake and realistic, otherwise this might not benefit them if it's what you want in the first place.
Kid, 11 years old May 14, 2020

A Horrible Show-Do NOT Watch!!!

This is the WORST show EVER!!
I hate this SO much! This teaches kids that if they're blond, skinny, and rich everything will be okay. Not true at all. My sister started throwing SEVERE tantrums after she saw this, and whenever we went to the store, she would scream when she didn't get to buy whatever she wanted. Now, she tries to be like barbie, and cried because she didn't look as skinny. I have had nightmares about this. My sister also started to pretend to call her imaginary "boyfriend" on her cardboard phone, and actually tried to marry and kiss a classmate. A true horror, with WAY to much consumerism. It's SO obnoxious!
DO NOT WATCH THIS!!!!

Teen, 17 years old Written byFoodboystan25 November 7, 2019

Ryan is an stupid crab man and I love him

Barbie life in the dream house is a satirical masterpiece and in the center of it all is Ryan. His foot stance, he way he talks, the way he doesnt even like to smile. He crab dances his way into your heart and you can't get him out, his glossy hair, his bad boy style, his defined plastic pecs. Truly an Adonis of a man.
Though his guitar skills are questionable, his manly nature is not.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJyunchon August 17, 2019

Holds up better for older kids or teens

The show satirises consumerism and the characters all have flaws which I’ve noticed some parents appear to have interpreted as being a bad role model for kids, which I agree with to an extent. When I was seven or eight I might have missed the point but I think people severely underestimate how mature kids are; I can guarantee you that most kids 10+ will easily recognise that the show presents consumerism as a bad thing and that the characters are flawed because people are flawed too.

The characters having flaws (Summer being competitive, Raquelle being jealous, Midge being over cautious etc.) serves as a reminder that people will always have flaws, no matter how perfect they may seem. Each character also has plenty of virtues and that shouldn’t be overlooked simply because they have an Achilles’ heel. Though the characters sometimes argue and don’t get along, the problem is always solved by the end and the characters reconcile which is something people seem to overlook.

Overall, I think the audience that will get the most enjoyment out of this is older children to adults and younger kids might struggle to distinguish jokes from behaviour that should be copied, especially with the consumerism which could be misinterpreted easily for those who don’t yet understand satire.

Kid, 8 years old March 10, 2019

Hilarious show!

Barbie life in the dream-house is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen! Barbie is a little too obsessed with fashion and pink, Raquelle and Ryan are both trying to separate Barbie and Ken and some of the schemes they try to pull of are just ridiculous! All of it's just an over the top joke. I absolutely love this show and my mom and dad agree.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPoppy.bath February 6, 2016

super funny

I love to watch this with my 16 year old sister! we both think its hilarious and so silly! we never played with the dolls but both love the movies and this show! barbie is fun and kind and so are her friends and sisters! her relationship with ken and the rivalry between barbie and raquele could be hard for younger kids to understand, there is absolutely no educational value what so ever but still a good show to watch when your sick!

Kid, 12 years old July 23, 2021

Love this show!

Raquelle is queen.

Teen, 14 years old Written byVarge May 12, 2021

Great show! (for teens or older kids)

I'd say this show is more appropriate for older kids or teenagers that can actually differenciate right from wrong because it's very sarcastic, sassy and self-aware. If your kid does understand these things, they'll have a great time watching the show. I know the dialogues by heart and I watch the show with my dad all the time. We both love it. The jokes are kind of silly most times but they never get old for me.
Teen, 16 years old Written byZoe_123 March 29, 2021

Perfect for Kids/Teens Who Don't Take Everything Seriously!

I'm 16 years old and I expected this show to be really boring and child-focused, but it was genuinely hilarious!

A lot of these reviews focus on what a bad role model Barbie, but that's kinda the point...Matel is making fun of the typical girls Barbie stereotypes and playing them out in a perfect. Yes, it might not send the best message to children, but that's not the point!

The characters are the best. They are purposefully ovr exaggerated to make fun of common roles and stereotypes!

If you're a teen looking for a funny and brainless show, watch this, you won't be disappointed!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byReviewer3 February 14, 2021

An entertaining and self-aware show.

This show doesn’t seem directed towards a super young audience, despite what you would expect from the franchise. Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse is great (if your kids know not to repeat the behaviors shown in the show). It uses a lot of self-aware/satirical comedy as it parodies a reality TV show, which younger viewers might not get. Most of the characters aren’t good role models, especially Raquelle, but as long as your kids are old enough to know that they will love this show. Despite the pettiness of some of the characters, they never actually resort to violence, use drinking/drugs, etcetera.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddybrown1 November 10, 2020

So funny

This show is hilarious! It’s so good and it’s kind of made for KIDS so I don’t know why parents don’t let their kids watch it even when they are like 10. This show is not inappropriate in any way and is the funniest thing ever.
Teen, 16 years old Written byYour name September 22, 2020

I LOVE IT!!!!

This show is so good. It may not have anything educational, but it has problem solving skills. Sure there's sass here and there but that's what makes the show funny. Other parents might be saying it has sexual stuff including the fact that Barbie has a boyfriend but Ken is kind and loving to her and so is Barbie and I don't see what's wrong with that. Raquel is my personal favorite since she's got sass and gives me a laugh every time. For parents looking for something educational: 5.5/10 Parents just wanting to find something with problem solving skills: 8.5/10 Parents just wanting to find something funny to watch on a Friday night: 10/10
Kid, 11 years old August 1, 2020

Not that great. The message is not positive.

In my opinion, she's the most unlikeable character of the show. She has no personality, is a character with zero flaws and no character development. The way she looks suggests to little girls you have to be skinny and perfect, having boys want to be with you as all male characters in the show seem to be drooling over her (simping, tbh).

"Body Dimensions
Barbie does not represent the average American woman's size. This unrealistic body shape has caused many people to criticize Barbie. They say that Barbie negatively influences the way girls see their bodies and leads them to develop eating disorders and low self-esteem."

It goes against the message she is trying to send that you can be anything. You cannot be perfect. You cannot be Barbie.

She's also bland and the show is boring. But that's just my opinion.
Hopefully it helped you decide.

Teen, 15 years old Written byWatchSahara2017... July 27, 2020

Watch this. You won't be disappointed

I could not love this show any more. As long as you don't try and take it seriously, it is amazing. Also, Ken is evil, and Ken and Ryan are disaster boyfriends. Raquelle is amazing, and the best character

Teen, 14 years old Written byThe_Unknown June 25, 2020

Unpopular Opinion

Ryans singing actually sound half decent when he actually sings a full song.
Kid, 9 years old June 16, 2020

Terrible the worst thing I ever seen!!!

Barbie life in the dream house is very wierd and inappropriate!
Barbie has a perfect body image and so does all of her Friends and sisters.
It also is inappropriate because Barbie once said “ come on girls let’s go in the pool with our bikinis” you might think I’m joking but see for yourself! Look at the season 1 pool episode.
Barbie has a perfect life and dream house. It’s all pink and perfect. Life is not like that.
Also, Barbie has no parents ( for some reason) and has every job. I know that barbies saying “ you can be anything!” Is awesome, but I think it goes to far. She also has an awesome closet that goes miles and miles.
Life is not like that! Everyone wants to have a perfect little life like Barbie! Nope! This is the real world!
And it’s sad because lots of people look up to her. Its not good.
And I can go on and on!

Teen, 14 years old Written byRavenclawNerd March 1, 2020
Teen, 15 years old Written bySassysauce June 29, 2019

Wow just wow

It is horrible for any age especially since all it’s about is being the most skinny or the most blonde or the most beautiful. And it’s like the women in that show can’t do anything ex. Barbie episode one: I’m sure we will be fine ken will come and save us. Now I’m not saying that you shouldn’t watch this I’m just saying think about how much of this you want your kids listening to