Kid reviews for Big Mouth

Raunchy but sweet animated comedy has sex jokes galore.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySenSid October 4, 2018

Great show to introduce adulthood and puberty to teens

Big Mouth introduces important topics to teens while using humor at the same time. It turns puberty into a funny subject. It turns teens hormones into a physical monster, which helps explain more and add humor. While there is some sexual content and swearing, its all part of showing teens what adulthood and growing up is like. All in all, Big Mouth is a great way to show kids the reality of puberty.

Teen, 16 years old Written byIanBeltran October 2, 2017

Hidden gem

After reading what parents thought about the show I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at adults drawing conclusions without actually watching the content they’re recommending to other parents. For those whose morals blocked out the message the show was trying to portray, it’s really an accurate, and at times ludacris, show about teenagers who go through puberty. When you’re going through the process, puberty really does feel like there’s a crazy hormone monster controlling you and persuading you to do irrational things. It’s smart, it’s funnty, and there’s nothing else like it that’s as accurate as it is.

Teen, 14 years old Written byms1721 October 4, 2018

Great show that allows teens to laugh at their growing body

It's stupid how juvenile most adults think teens are. Once you're in middle school, it's a trip to hell for their children, with puberty, homework, and gossip galore. This show is a great way to laugh at all those problems, with a surprisingly real look at teenagehood at the same time. Expect some language and sexual humor/conversation, but it's nothing that any present-day teenager will be new to. I love this show and definitely recommend adults to show this to their teens.

Kid, 10 years old October 10, 2019

Good show about puberty

I recommend this show mainly for either kids who have already hit puberty, or kids in middle school. It also depends on your humor. I've found some things funny in this show that I know other people wouldn't find good.

Teen, 14 years old Written by__phoebezreviwer__ August 17, 2019

IGNORE STUPID REVIEWS-AMAZING!!

please please ignore the ignorant and stupid parent reviews saying it’s bad.these come from parents who DONT WANT THERE KIDS TO GROW UP. this show is basicallly the life story of all teens or tweens who’ve hit puberty. if you have then everything this shows will have happended to you, it’s your life! it’s so relatable and helps teens to feel that there not alone, i generally thank netflix for this show as it’s helped me to know others are going through it to. it has such amazing messages showing that no teens alone, everyone’s going through it together, and that it will really all turn out okay.a character with depression seeks help and learns the importance of therapy,asking for help and family. the kids all learn to not be ashamed of tbemsevels and there’s insecurities. although flawed every role model is perfect showing kids that although they all make mistakes they can recover from them an learn. amazing. no violence whatsoever. the sex in it is exactly what happens to almost every teen. for every parent saying it’s an “unhealthy portrayal” you need to get your head into reality. your kid is growing up, as much as you wish it your kid isn’t a baby anymore this is there life. everything shown(from the girls point of view) has happended to me and my friends, it’s our life. how is that inappropriate? as for the language anyone in higher middle school years, high school(or for england secondary school) hear the words cu*ts fu*k sh*t bit*h jizz, wank and all of that on the daily basis, they may even use them themselves(probably.) theres no consumerism. as for drinking drugs and smoking,, they’ll have encountered everything shown, two of the kids get high on weed, one of the girls Father’ is an addict, they drink at older siblings party’s. so happy to finally find a show that shows 12-16 year olds in reality, not acting like 8 years olds. it takes away the opinion that a teenagers life is perfect, and a high school musical thing. it may aswell be a documentary. it’s also very educational as it gives kids info about growing up, puberty,sex,pregnancy and more in a non-awkward way, and a way they’ll listen to and respect! speechless at how perfect this show is. it’s really a statement

Teen, 15 years old Written byRo.imp August 18, 2020

Puberty and Comedy

This is an adult comedy made by Nick Kroll, thats casts other comedians such as John Mulaney and Jason Mantzoukas.

It is a delightfully funny show about puberty in the present-day, and the struggles and feelings associated from the stage of life everyone goes through.

Although it is rated as TV-MA, it was made to be marketed to teens, which is why much of the humor is so crude.

Personally, I find it to be extremely funny, and personally validating, as I saw the troubles that I am/have experience(d) through puberty. Although it is a comedy at heart, it does have some episodes that are particularly informing, such as an episode that included several different scenarios discussing contraceptives, STD's, and the importance of reproductive health. Although it does wrestle with some of these ideas, most of the episodes are centered around serialized comedy, rather than informing the public. Weird and bad jokes, are sometimes evident in a few episodes, but not so much as to make it unenjoyable.

The themes in this TV show are great, and it is good to see it tackle on issues and insecurities such as penis size (inferiority in Nick) along with horniness (Andrew's excessive masturbating and sexual thoughts) bra size (Jessi and her bra fiasco) and the tackling of Shame (appearance of the Shame Wizard) which is another big point that teens (such as myself) struggle with. All in all, it is a very good show, and I absolutely would recommend to any teen and adult.

As for parents, I recommend you watch this show. You may not find it funny or entertaining, but it definitely gives you a glimpse of the insecurities and mishaps a lot of teenagers experience through puberty.

Teen, 13 years old Written byalexanderhamilham February 19, 2019

PERFECT FOR ALL AGES

This show is a blessing to our earth and anyone who things other wise can talk to Lola over here. It’s an inspiring story about a group of preteens (Nick, Andrew, Jay, Jessie, and Missy) figuring things out. Sure there’s a little bit of raunchy jokes and scenes but it’s a sweet show everyone should watch. There’s a few examples of sex (Connie and Maurice eating spaghetti in an NSFW way), there’s some violence (Andrew pulls a disabled kid out of his wheelchair), drinking (Nick gets drunk off of Cotton Candy Brandy), drugs (Jessie and Nick try edibles). But it’s a good hearted show and will make you laugh until you pee.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymamie.slushie February 14, 2019

Accurate and Funny

All the adults are saying that “it’s too inappropriate and bad” well I am in 7th grade, (which is the same grade that the kids in this show are in) and I can confirm that is all bs. 7th grade is the time where we start puberty and go through all this stuff, Big Mouth is actually pretty accurate to the things I’ve experienced from being in middle school so far. YES middle schoolers talk about sex, making out, boners, puberty, our sexuality’s, boobs, and sex ed, get over it. This show may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I personally enjoyed it. Having my own hormone monstress would make life a whole lot easier. This show should only really be watched if you are a middle/high school student going through puberty, because you’ll understand it more and everything will be funnier. I love this show and can’t wait for Season 3
Teen, 17 years old Written byGlitchgoat June 28, 2021

Worst Thing on Netflix?

I'm not really a conservative. Far from it. But this sex positivity thing is getting way out of hand. I really did not want to see a twelve year old jack off. It was the most uncomfortable experience I've had in a very long time. And it doesn't happen just once. Far from it. Another character repeatedly has actual sex, and orgasms, into his couch and his pillow. Not to mention how heinously hideous the artstyle is.

Teen, 13 years old Written byunyunboi December 18, 2017

Explicit, but mandatory

Yes, this show is full of sex, but it's super helpful for adolescents! It is almost as if it is a diary of seventh grade experiences. This isn't South Park, the innuendos are all necessary; not just for the plot or humor, but for the lesson. Big Mouth is better than sex ed, and I mean that!

Teen, 16 years old Written byprocrastinasian October 8, 2017

witty and down to earth

Big Mouth is silly and, despite the explicit content, it can provide entertainment to adults reminiscing about puberty, as well as solid and accurate representations of children going through puberty, something that is rarely found in media because of how taboo the subject is. It's lighthearted and astonishingly spot-on, with funny insights (not morals or lessons) on the workings of a developing person's mind.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCWau15 September 30, 2017

An Extremely Raunchy Yet Heartfelt Show

This show is all about teens dealing with puberty and all of the awkwardness that comes with it, so therefore its target audience should be those teens. It teaches them to allow themselves to laugh at what changes they are going through.
After all, seeing puberty as a taboo topic rather than an awkwardness we can all laugh at only makes puberty more difficult. This show blends incredibly hilarious humour, much of which is in the form of the Hormone Monster, with an underlying heartfelt message. Expect sexual humour galore, graphic nudity and language. I personally love sexual humour, and I know that not everyone does, but if you are a fan of Family Guy and other raunchy movies, or if you are going through puberty and want to be able to laugh at it, I urge you to give this show a try.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBook_Worm21 November 5, 2021

An honest and comedic cartoon about the horrors puberty

I LOVED it! It talked about things that parents won’t talk about, that the school isn’t allowed to talk about! Stuff that we need to know but nobody will tell! Extremely educational as well as funny and made me feel like I wasn’t the only one who was going through. It’s become so taboo in society and our culture to talk about sex, masturbation etc. when really kids are going to start thinking that way and later.. doing those things. So teach them early on. Had great LGBTQIA+ representation, showed the issues with divorce, hilarious and beautifully honest. Your kid is growing up and I’m sorry but this show is relatable for anyone above 10. There are a range of characters from ones who feel gross for being early to puberty and feel overtly sexual, to others who wish they could catch up. There’s a character for EVERYONE to relate to. I georgous show that is close to my heart ❤️

Teen, 14 years old Written byPurpleponysso November 2, 2021

Love it!

Big Mouth is one of the best shows i've watched! It has lots of cursing, sex jokes and stuff like that, but middle schoolers come across these conversations daily. Big Mouth truly depicts the life of some adolescents going through a big change and figuring out their body. &th graders are not innocent. There's drug use, but the characters realize this is wrong. Honestly, this show should not deserve an 18+ rating at all! It's just life.

Teen, 16 years old Written byHikingmountain February 24, 2021

What the heck???

Ok ok ok... before I go into the review of the show, I just want to say: WHAT IS WITH ALL OF THESE POSITIVE REVIEWS?! 99.9% of the reviews I have read on here are positive, some of these reviews even say age 2+. Do not listen to those people unless your kid is over the age of 16.

Ok, now the actual review. I literally watched 21 seconds of the show, and then immediately turned it off because it was so ridiculously dirty. A kid put his hands into a women’s [email protected] There was also tons of swearing in that 21 seconds (I heard 1 F-word and S-word).

The adult reviewers are probably kids disguised as adults saying that this show has great role models for 4 year-olds. What the heck is wrong with people XD
Not for anyone under 18. I’m 16 and I turned it off. Very adult

Teen, 16 years old Written byIdrk33 January 3, 2021

Not as bad as some people make it out to be

I though that the show was way more tame than some people make it out to be. If you think that kids don’t hear, learn, or experience any of this stuff, then you’re in denial about it. It was overall pretty funny and sweet even at some parts. The language is a lot, but nothing more than a kid would hear in the hallway. There wasn’t much nudity, but when there was, it was cartoon and not very realistic. Even though it’s a comedy series, it showed a lot of informative stuff about depression, anxiety, friendships, and much more.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRoxy..roberts January 2, 2021

Important for teens

I think that people should watch big mouth because it’s important to understand that it’s ok to have feelings like that of shown in big mouth and I’m not just talking about the dirty stuff I’m also talking about how they show Jessie’s story a girl with depression

Teen, 16 years old Written byMusiclovergig June 22, 2020

Overly sexual and mistreated too much

When I first watched this show I thought it was pretty good, but as years went by I realized that it's absolutely horrible. The main problem I have with it is that people are treating it wrong. It’s a show about a bunch of kids going through puberty so obviously it’s filled with nudity and random sex jokes. So to all those people on the internet that say it’s educational and it’s really informative about the subject matter, it’s not. It doesn’t do the best job of representing puberty in kids. Also, kids should definitely not watch it because there’s a lot of nudity in it. By the way, the humor on this show was influenced by Family Guy, do you think that’s educational and important to show to kids? Overall, I don't recommend this show, don't believe the hype, don't watch this disturbing and disgusting show.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMelon1 October 23, 2019

Terrible show

The show has numerous issues that you simply cannot look past. If you wanted to use this as a guide for your child to show them what to expect when they reach the age of the characters in the show, it's not the worst thing ever.
To start, the animation is absolutely abysmal but it does help show some of the details the the "hormone monster" witch really drives home the raunchy and edgy personality of the monster although the monster in general is not a very good character, which I will get into later.
The overall plot of the show is loose story lines that tie together to form an overlying plot such as when two of the main characters, Andrew and Nick, run into Jesse's mom cheating on her dad, and have to deal with the consequences later.
Speaking of the characters, this show does nothing with them. They all show little to no development and are not the best role models for your children, but your children can learn from the characters mistakes, which I personally found very useful in my own life.
Lastly, is this a replacement for a book or a talk with your child? Of course not, but it can provide a useful prospective that, no matter what, you cannot give to them. I would recommend you let your children watch this show if you are okay with characters literally having sex in the show on camera. Yes, that does happen. Jokes aside, watch the episodes yourself first, then pick and choose what they should watch.

TL;DR : Bad show, not a terrible puberty guide for children but use with caution.

Teen, 16 years old Written byt_jane November 7, 2018

Three Cheers for Netflix

Hands down the best representation of middle school drama, puberty, first relationships, growing up, first kisses, etc. I have ever seen. Big Mouth came out my freshmen year of high school and it was such a joy to watch it right after graduating middle school and looking back at all of my tween antics (I have since rewatched this gem countless times). Of course it's raunchy and graphic and often profane, but I don't think I've ever seen something more relatable. Big Mouth discusses touchy and culturally taboo topics through highly accessible characters, jokes, and best of all: it teaches us all that it's okay to be "weird" or "different" and that we're not alone.