Parent reviews for Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad Poster Image

For Mature Teenagers and Up

First off let me start by saying this show is one of the best series to ever air. It is truly a masterpiece and large step forward in television. It proved shows could feel as realistic and quality as television and was able to engage audiences and build a world of it's one using this technique. But it's true that the show is very dark. It deals with dark issues, drug dealing, drug addiction, murder, and more. But you have to admit with all this, the message isn't lost. Anybody can be evil. The shows portal of drugs and violence doesn't necessarily hold back. The violence can be strong at times, but isn't on the level of brutality such as other shows like Game of Thrones and The Wire. The drug content is pervasive, though the use of drugs isn't as frequent as you'd think. The entire show still revolves around drugs but as long as your kid knows drugs are not to be messed with, this should be fine as consequences of drug use are present. The sex and nudity is also very tame compared to other TV-MA shows. There is basically no nudity in the entire series and sexual content is rarely shown, it's mostly implied. The language is however frequent, but children start to hear pervasive coarse language in their daily lives as they grow older either way. Overall it is a fantastic show, and though it deals with dark issues and strong violence, it holds a strong (still dark) message about humanity that if your child can understand, they must watch this show.
1 person found this helpful.

The story of a dream that came true

What is the Breaking Bad series about? Someone would say drugs, gangs, shooting. I would say about unknown demons who hide inside everyone of us and try to find the way out. This series is also about family and what does the family means to each of its member. About hard choices and bitterness of loss. At the very beginning we meet quiet and unconfident chemistry teacher, who students laugh and boss humiliate at. He almost cannot even refuse someone. But what we also see is his dream to become a real man, to whom people talk with respect and bit of fear. This is Walter's second personality, which is first shown to us in first episode, when Walter Jr.'s classmates are laughing at him at the clothing shop and Mr. White decides to punish one of them by beating him in a leg. When Walter White started to cook meth, he found very flexible excuse: he is doing it for family because family is sacred. Everything was great and his dream started to became true until his family realized the way he earns money. Suddenly, Walter finds out, that his relatives don't want his dirty money and in addition starts to scary of him. But even after it, Mr. White continues cook meth. Now not because of his family, but for himself. He realizes that everything he got now is his drug business. From that moment Walter White has gone out his mind by doing terrible things, such as poisoning of children and murder his relative Hank. Old Mr. White was completely replaced by the new one. And at the end of series, when he lost connection with his family, friends and business, when his cancer is back, he decides to talk to his wife. But he doesn't apologize, he simple says goodbye. Mr. White understands that his family life is broken for many years and they won't forgive him. When Walter White is dead we are able to see a kind of happiness on his face. On average, I am not telling you that Walter White was a good man, on the contrary, he was terrible. But what I want to tell you is that life isn't so easy and there are no absolute good and evil, as many people think. And this series is definitely about that. Be afraid of your dreams, because they can become true. Thanks and kind regards.

1 person found this helpful.
There is a tone of drug use especially meth. The show is about making and selling drugs. There is also a lot of death in bloody fashion. The worst is when a man’s face is blown off. Or when a man gets his throat slit with a box cutter.

if you have a mature child-like who is educated in the subject of controlled substances like cocaine weed meth than i will consider letting them watch

The topics may be grim but it is beautifully shot and not too violent.

A Must Watch

Add this show to your bucket list. Seriously. It’s so good. I will admit I haven’t finished the entire show BUT it’s amazing so far. I just finished Season 2. One of the things in film and tv that I hate is when they go way too far with the sex, nudity, or the violence. Here it never went too far except for a few quick moments. The show only has one nude scene showing a woman’s breasts very clearly in the first episode. Then there are a few scenes throughout the show involving sex with absolutely zero nudity that lasts around 5-15 sec. Regarding sex and nudity; most of the sex scenes are just thrown in there and are unnecessary. The rest are pretty crucial to the plot. It wasn’t too bad given the rating or when comparing it to Ozark. The violence is not bad at all. It’s typical R rated violence but even then it’s not that bad at all. The language is not bad either. Most scenes contain almost no language. It’s just the scenes involving Walter/Jesse where the language is prominent. I was also worried this show was going to be disturbing. Yes, there are a few parts that I deemed kind of disturbing including a death towards the end of S1 Ep2, the very beginning of S1 Ep3 and S2 Ep6, buy this show never pushes too far but when it does it wants you to remember because it’s trying to teach you something. Let’s move onto the actual show and not the sex, nudity, and violence. The show is fantastic with each character getting their respectable and fleshed out arch’s and subplots. Each (small or large) intertwining and working perfectly into the plot. The plot is perfect. No issues. The dialogue is great. I expected ok dialogue given most shows, especially cable shows, which have bad dialogue. Here only a few lines in the first season were bad. Something that came out of nowhere was the comedy. I didn’t expect any. While season 2 doesn’t really have much the first does and I genuinely laughed out loud a few times which I never expected. The pacing is good except for of course like almost every single show, it drags at times. My biggest issue with the show is easily Skyler, Walters wife. She always has an attitude. I really don’t like the character. While I can understand a few things that she gets angry or disappointed about for the most part she is unreasonably moody and has an attitude. Her scenes are kind of hard to watch. The reason why I chose 17 and up is because this show is a bit slower and it deals with a ton of drugs and things that most kids under 17 will not know or understand. So watching this at 17 is perfect because you will understand so much more which will make you appreciate the show more. At its core this show is a family drama. It takes its time with the characters and it takes its time with the story. While the first two seasons were a bit slow, the last few episodes of season 2 were not. I believe that this show is ramping up and it will not stop. Whether it’s the pacing or the action. I can’t wait to watch the rest and I highly recommend it.

Must see for mature 13 year olds and up

I watched this show a while back and when my son approached me and told me all of his friends were watching this show, he asked if he could watch it too. I told him that I would look into i. There is a good amount of swearing, but in the end, what kids haven't heard any. There is a lot of drugs, obviously, but the way they are depicted, it sends a good anti drug message by showing a disturbing meth head couple. there is some sexual content, but as the series progresses there are less and less and almost completely void by the end of season 2. the violence gets more and more common throughout the series, but is usually brief and not shown up close.

One of the best shows ever...painful to watch

Breaking Bad is a very popular television show widely circulating first on cable TV and then on Netflix. There is obviously high amounts of substance abuse and drugs since the show focuses on a man who makes a business out of making methamphetamine. There's also violence that can be gory, but it occurs every so often, not every episode. An instance of this could be a shootout to a man cutting someone's throat. It fits the narrative style that makes this show so interesting. And yes, there's common profanity usage that most teenagers already know and say. Very few instances of nudity and sexual content.

Best written tv out there

Story of Walter White from boring chemistry teacher to top drug kingpin west of the Mississippi. Amazing show with interesting characters. Seasons just get better and better with a very satisfying finale

This show is amazing and is ok for mature kids

The show has some bad things but has more positive messages about how crime is bad, killing is bad, and how drugs are bad. It has a few bad things like killing 1 scene of partial nudity, drugs and alcohol, and violence/language. Most of not all kids at 13 know or have seen games and movies/TV shows that have nudity and violence, language, drugs/alcohol, and killing are very common in pg-13 movies and T rated games. If you let your kid play M and T rated games or watch R rated movies then this show is perfectly fine for your kid.