All teen and kid member reviews for Call the Midwife

epic

beeeeppp
Teen, 17 years old Written bymore2watchandread January 11, 2016

Call the Midwife Content Review

This show is excellent! I watched it all the way through in just a couple of weeks, it's so good. Call the Midwife is about a midwife/nurse named Jenny Lee (well, the first three and a half seasons are) who moves to the East End of London to further her education in health. She moves to a large building which is home to a group of nuns and nurses like Jenny herself. Set not even 15 years after WWII, Jenny attends to a lot of returned soldiers with wounds unhealed after the decade, which is sad on its own. But mostly, they're there for the expecting mothers and to help them with their births, so you see a bunch of REALLY cute babies. They show the births a lot of times, but not from the nurse's perspective, and rarely a baby dies or is born with anything abnormal. Homosexuality is in the show in the 4th season, introducing itself with Patsy and her girlfriend and then with a man who whose wife was expecting a baby. He was in a public place when he tried to undress with another man. Being queer is frowned upon in that society, so everyone then hates him and his wife, but when the man is forgiven in court, everyone accepts him back into the community. A lot of cheating happens in the show, and minors getting pregnant. There is also some dabbling with prostitutes every season. Racial stuff also happens, like a darker pregnant woman getting treated unfairly by neighboring women. Trixie, Cynthia (before the 4th season), Patsy, and Jenny all drink in their room at night, but nothing too bad. A lot of people smoke in the show, but never on the job near babies (the mothers do sometimes, but I think that's different), Everyone on here are such good actors/actresses! Miranda Hart is my personal favorite. I love her so much! GREAT ROLE MODELS. ALL OF THEM. Really educational! You learn a lot about nursing and midwifery, not to mention the historical facts you learn during the show. Jenny Lee is based of of a real woman named Jennifer Worth and her real memoirs. But it's kinda like Little House on the Prairie. They exaggerate a lot of things and make up things to make the show more exciting. A couple bad words are said, but nothing too terrible. There's blood, some stealing, some women physically fight whilst preggo, but there's no violence, really. It's just that you have to be okay with some blood and a couple of abortions, one done with tools that weren't sterilized illegally, the other in a hospital done by doctors because she had diabetes and was also a minor. A nun decides to resign and get married to a doctor older than her, but she does it with honor. I watched this with my sister, who is 11. She handled it fine. In fact, if you ask her, this is her favorite show, and definitely one of mine :D I'm normally not into this type of thing, but this show is great!
Teen, 13 years old Written byABCand123 September 29, 2014

cool

cool
Teen, 13 years old Written byPoppy.bath April 5, 2016

definitely for girls! sooooooo goooooood!!!!

my older sister didn't want to watch but i made her and I loved it so much!!!!!! she liked it too but didn't watch any more! i have now watched all the episodes and have loved them all!!!!!!! it teaches a lot about women and childbirth some scenes are very intense and there is mention to (or shown) incest, rape, prostitution, adultery and domestic violence. definitely watch before you let your kids! all in all it is a sweet look into midwifery in the 50s!
Teen, 13 years old Written byRubyTherese June 6, 2015

Awesome

I love it! This is my favourite tv show. I started watching this when I was 11. My mum started watching it when I was 10 but I wasn't that interested when I walked past the tv. Then one day I decided to sit down and watch it and I immediately fell in love with it. I'd be careful with kids under 11, though.
Kid, 10 years old December 28, 2012

my opinion ,fair

i think it is educational and help's kids know things were for women havng baby's in the nineteen fifty's.But it's up to you what you think
Teen, 14 years old Written bymercedesr March 17, 2016

Not for boys

If your children know the facts of life, this show is fine. It tackles some harsh issues like incest, rape and prostitution. However, this is a good tool to explain what those things are. I don't think boys would enjoy this at all. About three quarters of the show is jargon about birth procedure and its just really a womens thing. I watch this with my mother and its a heartwarming experience.
Kid, 8 years old July 4, 2015

Explicit, graphic birth scenes in bloody but beautiful drama.

My rating:PG-13 for brief bloody images.