All parent member reviews for Chuggington

Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byNMetzger March 8, 2010

Why aren't the Storylines better??

As a parent I really can't sit and watch this show with my kids, it really is truely for kids. They love the Trains and the Theme song. This show is pretty much the same every episode. One train is never listening, or doing what it should, or feeling picked on, and the ending never really teaches about responsibility. The trains are very colorful and perfect, it really could have been a hit, if the storylines were better. My kids love Thomas the Train (and prefer it to Chuggington), and the storylines are far superior. But, overall, the trains make this show at least enjoyable for my kids even if it doesn't teach them anything.
Parent Written bymediamomster May 28, 2012

Hooks the kids (even the girls) and teaches great lessons!

I love this show. My 3 year old son is OBSESSED with trains. We have been hoping to find a solution to Thomas and the vying for the love of sir topam hat and back biting that goes on in that show, and Chugginton was the solution. The storylines are extremely relatable to preschoolers. The main characters are learning life lessons just like our kids are, and they talk about lessons learned and why it's important to make good choices. For instance: play is good, but shouldn't replace the work you need to do. Friendly competition is fun, but remember to be charitable to those around you. Be considerate and thoughtful of others, etc. I also LOVE that each engine has their own personality, strengths and weaknesses. Great messages. I can't say enough good about this show. Plus the song is super catchy.
Parent Written byannoysrough January 23, 2013

Thomas, you have a contender.

I had to watch this show while babysitting the neighbour's son.. As someone who grew up with the first few seasons of Thomas the Engine, I find this show way superior in terms of graphics and narration as it is entirely dialogue-driven, and the characters and plots are extremely dynamic. Nonetheless, I do have some issues with the storyline as the characters generally seem absolved of responsibility at times, where the repercussions would have been significantly more harsh, or the legal codes would have been considerably stricter, thus demanding some higher degree of accountability than was displayed. Everyone seems all too easily forgiven. The show is nonetheless thought-provoking, though not remotely insightful. All the characters are inherently good, and thus the railway appears to run (metaphorically) on goodwill to say the least. The lack of a recurring villain is notable, though this by itself never was and never will be an issue. But let's admit it: it is, at the end of the day, a worthy watch, and of discutory value when you read between the lines. The messages imparted are positive and relevant to all, and there is much to learn from it, even for me I dare say. While some reviewers have pointed out consumerism (in a negative sense, it seems), I have found none (or am too naïve to have found any).
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bymom and teacher April 8, 2010

Gret show, even if they're not obsessed with trains.

Both of my boys love this show despite not having a general obsession with trains. They teach great lessons on each show, ranging from fire safety to cooperation and respecting others.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byxraymom February 9, 2010

perfect for two and up~ especially little train obsessed boys!

Absolutely love it! My son is in love with trains. This and Thomas the Train are his two favorites. They both teach great lessons.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bymomof2dd January 28, 2010

a don't miss for little ones

We love it. The chuggers learn lessons from cooperation to colors. It's colorful and lively. The message is positive. Mom and dad like it too.
Parent Written bysueryan10 August 22, 2014

better than thomas

My 26 month old loves this show. i discovered it a while ago and he wasn't interested until just the past week. Every episode teaches a lesson such as following directions, perseverance, and problem solving. The graphics are very Disney sanitized, but that is OK with me. I like that the 3 main trains are children in train school. It is a cute concept and my son can relate as he just started preschool. The humans in this show are very modern, multicultural and relatable. The only negative is some of the ancillary characters have weak dialogue. The majority of the show is written well. Yes, the show is predictable, but that is what you want for a 2 year old. I find Thomas and Friends show to have mean spirited characters and unrelateable story lines. Chuggington is more appropriate for the 2-3 year old group.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byGloria721 April 5, 2011

Perfect for toddlers, preschool, even early grade school

Chuggington is one of the few shows my 2 and soon to be 5 year old can actually agree on... It has the visual stimulation and action my toddler enjoys, along with storyline, lessons and visual stimulation my almost kindergartener enjoys!!! I have them all recorded on my DVR!
Educator and Parent of an infant and 4 year old Written bydalwoman March 8, 2010

Perfect for Thomas the Train lovers!!

My 3 year loves Thomas the Train but it is never really on TV that much so when this show came on a few weeks ago, he was so excited. The trains display good character and teach young ones how they should interact with others. This is a very good and appropriate for even the youngest of watchers.