All parent member reviews for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood

Parent of a 3 year old Written bykristinemay November 7, 2012

Best PBS show of 2012!

This is a show my 3 1/2 year old son looks forward to everyday. The animation in comparable to Super Why! but geared towards a slightly younger age group. It has helped my son in dealing with certain emotions that he doesn't see often, and has helped him in the area of potty training. There was an episode explaining the importance of stopping what you're doing to use the potty. Since then and while we are at home, he has been voluntarily using the bathroom without being asked and rarely an accident!
Parent Written byschenectady1869 September 24, 2012

DEFINITELY Something Good

From the day that the Birthday Episode arrived on the PBS Kids mobile app, I was hooked... and then I shared it with my almost 2 year old daughter. It's beautiful, nostalgic, familiar and engaging. She asks daily to watch "Daniel Tiger" and we save it for special occasions as we are trying to limit her screen time for as long as possible. We watched the Birthday episode at least 10 times before the new episodes arrived the first week of September. Grown Ups Come Back, "Something Good", and "I will too" are phrases she uses freely. It's wholesome but not muted, musical but non inane, and most importantly engaging and relatable without straying far from reality. As the oldest of 4 children, I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and then the re-runs for over a decade. It never got old and really is a hallmark of social & emotional developmental programming for a few generations. I am thrilled to share Daniel with my daughter and despite the recent adoption of the show to my daughter's world, it's already the focus of tiny relatable interactions. Thank you to all the creative minds and supportive funding for making this a reality! Now get your product development team cooking on merchandise and birthday party activities! (If you need help, holler at this marketing mama.)
Parent of a 5 year old Written byMMLRONARD1 December 28, 2015

Teaching Style Dissapointed

I have my kid watch this show often. I was watching an episode where the theme was if your upset stomp your feet three times. I could not believe this, this is teaching my child to have a temper tantrum! I don't think I'll have my child watch this show anymore.
Parent Written byAmy11 February 18, 2013

A favorite in our house

I love everything about this show. I don't want my son watching much TV and the TV he does watch should be of a good quality with educational value and appropriate messaging. This one delivers.
Educator and Parent Written byadriana.a.m.g October 27, 2013

Great show, not just for kids, but for Parents and Teachers, too!!!

I am a HUGE advocate for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, not just as a mother of a 4 year old (we started watching this show when she was 3), but also as an early childhood educator. In my work, I lead trainings for preschool directors and teachers on how to promote social-emotional development for preschool children. I encourage them to take a look at the show to get ideas on songs they could use in the classroom to encourage positive behaviors, and how easy it is to introduce these concepts. The adults in the cartoon use great verbiage to communicate with children, and parents and teachers can LEARN from this ourselves!!! This show is VERY developmentally appropriate, and easy for parents to watch WITH their kids. This show really comes to life for my daughter when I watch it with her. We have purchased each season, and I familiarize myself with the episodes and topics, and I use some topics related to what my daughter may be struggling with, like sharing, or waiting, or turn-taking. My daughter has memorized all the songs (on her own), and she uses them daily! I was blown away when my daughter shared her toy with her 1 year old sister, singing the words "You can take a turn, and then I'll get it back." This show creates amazing learning opportunities. I highly recommend it!
Adult Written byGabriel Mohler July 15, 2015

Mr. Rogers is rolling over in his grave

Cute tiger, but incredibly poor animation and stupid script. Morally, it's okay, but there is so much better out there.
Educator and Parent Written bymtrujillo6805 September 8, 2015

NOT A GOOD SHOW HAS NEGATIVE AFFECTS

This show has many negative affects on kids!!! As a parent and educator I don't feel it helps any child with their emotions other than how to harp on negative ones. I do not think it is beneficial to anyone and only makes a sad attempt to do what parents should be doing. This will not be allowed in my classroom or home.
Parent Written bysueryan10 February 8, 2014

Sweet and engaging

My 20 month old son likes this show. We usually watch the end of Sesame street which precedes Daniel Tiger so we always get a snippet of the show. My son has just begun to look interested. He has even sat through an entire 12 minute show. Daniel speaks directly to the audience. The show teaches coping skills for varied realistic situations through a simple song with a predictable melody. in response to the teens who have posted negative reviews on this page: the show is not for 15-17 year olds. it is intended for the preschool crowd and does a good job engaging them with the animation and music.
Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written byjbar2010 January 29, 2013

Engaging and valuable

My toddlers love this show, and so do I! It teaches emotional smarts in such a charming way—it's not heavy-handed like some shows that try too hard. I really can't say enough about it. I'm super pleased that the girls like it too.
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written byalicow79 August 29, 2013

Has My 2 Year Old Talking About His Feelings

A friend recommended this show to me, and it is one of my favorites for my son to watch. At 2 years old, my son is dealing with some big emotions, and Daniel Tiger is great at showing them in a safe, accessible way. Two of our favorites are the "angry" episode (when Daniel gets angry and his mom gets angry ) and the scared episode (scared of shadows). This show has given us a medium with which to discuss some of these feelings, and I love the positive influence it's has on my son. The best TV shows are the ones that you can and want to talk about afterwards, and this one is great for that.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byVickielynned September 18, 2012

Love the show (Daniel Tiger)

I love Daniel Tiger show I have my 2 yr granddaughter and she loves the show, they had apples being a different color and she picked out the right color, I loved Mr. Rogers show myself, I had hoped someone would bring him back some how, thank you, thank you, she even trys to sing with Daniel. just a grandmother saying thank you. Vickie
Parent Written byGracegirl97 October 8, 2013

Welcome Daniel Tiger to Your Neighborhood!

I am so pleased that PBS had done Mr. Rodgers proud. Daniel Tiger carries on his tradition of teaching kids how to deal with their feelings, make sense of their world, and use their imagination. Lessons are illustrated in simple to understand ways without being simplistic. The song used to reinforce the lesson are easy for parent and child to sing later so that the learning continues well after the show is over. In an age of a plethora of children's programming, Daniel Tiger is my top pick for my son's age group.
Adult Written byamandakhirsch March 6, 2015

Excellent for teaching social and emotional skills

Daniel Tiger is a gentle show that teaches critical social and emotional skills. Every episode has a song that gets repeated several times that focuses on a key lesson/strategy -- for example, "Use Your Words"... Daniel is mad that mom put his toys away when he was still using them, so he gets mad and says grr... and she coaches him to use his words to tell her what's wrong, so she can help him. Other lessons range from "In some ways we are different, but in so many ways, we are the same" (in the episode where we meet one of the character's cousins, who wears crutches) and "It's ok to feel sad sometimes - little by little, you'll feel better again" (which I think is an essential lesson -- rather than "don't cry"). My daughter started watching when she was 2 -- now she's almost 3 and she still LOVES it, and sings the songs all the time. What's more, the show has given us a vocabulary/common reference point as a family...we use the lessons and songs all the time. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 6 year old Written byVCastaneda November 7, 2012

Great songs with a message

The messages that Daniel Tiger sends out are very positive. It helped my little boy understand that when I drop him off at school, I will come back. It was an episode called Grown-Ups Come Back. It is very sweet, he even signs the song that is associated with it.
Adult Written byJsishbjuhbgsjshbbh July 1, 2016

Amazing show to help learning and good morals

Daniel tiger is the perfect role model who is always calm fun interactive and teaches children lifetime lessons. This show also is very educational and gives a great standard that kids look up to. This show sets the bar high for other shows. 15/10
Adult Written byLowe's man April 26, 2016

Great show despite a few shortcomings.

There are 3 reasons why I'd only give this show 4 stars instead of 5. First, the animation, while better than much of today's animation, isn't great. Second, a few of the characters from Mister Rogers's original Neighborhood of Make Believe, such as Grand Pere, the Platypus family and Cornflake Especially aren't there. (I wonder how Anna Platypus turned out when she was all grown.) Third, when young Daniel (son of the original Daniel) says, "Ugga-mugga", it's annoying. Still, it's a great show. In a sense it's like MISTER ROGERS'S NEIGHBORHOOD in reverse in that it applies the lessons from the Neighborhood of Make Believe to the real world (the opposite of the original series). It opens up childrens' curiosity to and about the world around them. It also teaches them that their feelings are ok, that it's their behavior that they need to watch (a message that we occasionally all need to hear). As such, age-appropriate ways of dealing with their emotions are shown. Other lessons, such as safety, are incorporated into the series as well. Daniel also does some of the things that Mister Rogers himself did. (King Friday and Queen Sara Saturday obviously did a good job of raising Prince Tuesday, now a responsible teenager.) And, most importantly, on this show a job is a job. In other words, executives aren't on top, garbage collectors on the bottom, etc. Parents who have fond memories of the original will like this. So will kids, even if they've never seen or heard of the original.
Parent Written bySuzanneB 1 March 21, 2016

The best!

Parent Written bymrk2015 November 24, 2015

Calm, Fun, Educational and Sweet - the best show on TV for kids under 5

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is a real gem of a show, just like its namesake - Mr Rogers Neighborhood. Every episode is beautifully illustrated and features a great combination of the characters having fun, learning, and dealing with the issues young kids face. From things like learning to go potty and having a new baby join your family, do sharing toys, dealing with storms and destruction, and learning how to do chores - this show hits a home run every time. For those who are "teenagers" giving this show bard reviews here - go watch something that is meant for your age group. - And parents who expect the show to do your job and hit every single point of a subject, GET REAL. Prince Wednesday didnt wipe in the potty episode? LOL. Get a life, seriously. Easily my sons favorite show and one that I actually enjoy as well. So well done.
Parent Written byRbtr09 September 9, 2015

Great kids show!

Of course I grew up watching the original Mr. Rogers, and Daniel Tiger carries on the best parts of that show. Mr. Rogers encouraged children to explore the world around them and use their imaginations. But most importantly, he taught us that our feelings are valid and important and how to deal with the ones that are uncomfortable. The songs are catchy (maybe a little too catchy) and they reinforce positive behavior. We always find ourselves singing them! Great update of a classic.
Parent Written byhannahs2 May 17, 2015