All parent member reviews for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood

Educator and Parent Written by8148152 October 25, 2013

It seems like a good show, but some of the episodes have had a negative impact on my child.

I really liked this show at first. It seemed to help my speech-delayed four-year-old open up and talk about her feelings. However, she also picked up some things I don't like from this show. In the "I'm Mad" episode, the characters say "I'm mad" and learn how to calm down. The calm down technique does not help my child and we use other methods. Also, my daughter walked around shouting "I'm mad!" both when she seemed mad and when she seemed happy. I really have contentions with the "Flush, Wash, and Be on Your Way" episode. My daughther was perfectly potty trained until she saw this episode. Now she doesn't want to wipe. We had to change the words to "Wipe, Flush, Wash, and Be on Your Way." Little boy tigers may not wipe, but little girl tigers do! In the "Use Your Words" episode, Daniel throws a fit when he's mad and is encouraged to use his words. The problem? After Daniel uses his words, he gets his way even though he threw a small fit. I watched the "Use Your Words" episode with my child and every time he threw a fit, we talked about what happens in our house when you throw fits (you have to go to a special spot until you calm down and DO NOT get what you want.) It's not necessarily a bad show, but they show these three episodes so often that we've had to stop watching it for a while.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykristinemay November 7, 2012

Best PBS show of 2012!

This is a show my 3 1/2 year old son looks forward to everyday. The animation in comparable to Super Why! but geared towards a slightly younger age group. It has helped my son in dealing with certain emotions that he doesn't see often, and has helped him in the area of potty training. There was an episode explaining the importance of stopping what you're doing to use the potty. Since then and while we are at home, he has been voluntarily using the bathroom without being asked and rarely an accident!
Parent Written byschenectady1869 September 24, 2012

DEFINITELY Something Good

From the day that the Birthday Episode arrived on the PBS Kids mobile app, I was hooked... and then I shared it with my almost 2 year old daughter. It's beautiful, nostalgic, familiar and engaging. She asks daily to watch "Daniel Tiger" and we save it for special occasions as we are trying to limit her screen time for as long as possible. We watched the Birthday episode at least 10 times before the new episodes arrived the first week of September. Grown Ups Come Back, "Something Good", and "I will too" are phrases she uses freely. It's wholesome but not muted, musical but non inane, and most importantly engaging and relatable without straying far from reality. As the oldest of 4 children, I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and then the re-runs for over a decade. It never got old and really is a hallmark of social & emotional developmental programming for a few generations. I am thrilled to share Daniel with my daughter and despite the recent adoption of the show to my daughter's world, it's already the focus of tiny relatable interactions. Thank you to all the creative minds and supportive funding for making this a reality! Now get your product development team cooking on merchandise and birthday party activities! (If you need help, holler at this marketing mama.)
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 20, 2014

This is just as great as Mister Rogers Neighborhood.

This show is a great spin-off to mister rogers neighborhood, because, like mister rogers, it has great role models, fun songs, educational, and, teaches kids how to deal with emotions such as joy, anger, disappointment, in an age appropriate way. It's not just for preschoolers. I especially love the trolley song "won't you ride along with me".
Parent Written byAmy11 February 18, 2013

A favorite in our house

I love everything about this show. I don't want my son watching much TV and the TV he does watch should be of a good quality with educational value and appropriate messaging. This one delivers.
Educator and Parent Written byadriana.a.m.g October 27, 2013

Great show, not just for kids, but for Parents and Teachers, too!!!

I am a HUGE advocate for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, not just as a mother of a 4 year old (we started watching this show when she was 3), but also as an early childhood educator. In my work, I lead trainings for preschool directors and teachers on how to promote social-emotional development for preschool children. I encourage them to take a look at the show to get ideas on songs they could use in the classroom to encourage positive behaviors, and how easy it is to introduce these concepts. The adults in the cartoon use great verbiage to communicate with children, and parents and teachers can LEARN from this ourselves!!! This show is VERY developmentally appropriate, and easy for parents to watch WITH their kids. This show really comes to life for my daughter when I watch it with her. We have purchased each season, and I familiarize myself with the episodes and topics, and I use some topics related to what my daughter may be struggling with, like sharing, or waiting, or turn-taking. My daughter has memorized all the songs (on her own), and she uses them daily! I was blown away when my daughter shared her toy with her 1 year old sister, singing the words "You can take a turn, and then I'll get it back." This show creates amazing learning opportunities. I highly recommend it!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byVickielynned September 18, 2012

Love the show (Daniel Tiger)

I love Daniel Tiger show I have my 2 yr granddaughter and she loves the show, they had apples being a different color and she picked out the right color, I loved Mr. Rogers show myself, I had hoped someone would bring him back some how, thank you, thank you, she even trys to sing with Daniel. just a grandmother saying thank you. Vickie
Adult Written byGabriel Mohler July 15, 2015

Mr. Rogers is rolling over in his grave

Cute tiger, but incredibly poor animation and stupid script. Morally, it's okay, but there is so much better out there.
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written byalicow79 August 29, 2013

Has My 2 Year Old Talking About His Feelings

A friend recommended this show to me, and it is one of my favorites for my son to watch. At 2 years old, my son is dealing with some big emotions, and Daniel Tiger is great at showing them in a safe, accessible way. Two of our favorites are the "angry" episode (when Daniel gets angry and his mom gets angry ) and the scared episode (scared of shadows). This show has given us a medium with which to discuss some of these feelings, and I love the positive influence it's has on my son. The best TV shows are the ones that you can and want to talk about afterwards, and this one is great for that.
Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written byjbar2010 January 29, 2013

Engaging and valuable

My toddlers love this show, and so do I! It teaches emotional smarts in such a charming way—it's not heavy-handed like some shows that try too hard. I really can't say enough about it. I'm super pleased that the girls like it too.
Parent Written byhannahs2 May 17, 2015

And the winner is....

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood!
Adult Written byamandakhirsch March 6, 2015

Excellent for teaching social and emotional skills

Daniel Tiger is a gentle show that teaches critical social and emotional skills. Every episode has a song that gets repeated several times that focuses on a key lesson/strategy -- for example, "Use Your Words"... Daniel is mad that mom put his toys away when he was still using them, so he gets mad and says grr... and she coaches him to use his words to tell her what's wrong, so she can help him. Other lessons range from "In some ways we are different, but in so many ways, we are the same" (in the episode where we meet one of the character's cousins, who wears crutches) and "It's ok to feel sad sometimes - little by little, you'll feel better again" (which I think is an essential lesson -- rather than "don't cry"). My daughter started watching when she was 2 -- now she's almost 3 and she still LOVES it, and sings the songs all the time. What's more, the show has given us a vocabulary/common reference point as a family...we use the lessons and songs all the time. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
Parent Written byUsernameBetty January 23, 2015

Great show but avoid the potty training episode

Daniel doesn't wipe after going potty. Yes, the kids notice and this literally messes things up. However, the Daniel Tiger app in the App Store does cover going to the bathroom effectively. So if your kid's a huge Daniel fan, stick to the app for potty discussions. P.S. I don't think Prince Wednesday wiped in his potty episode either..
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjinx-wolf March 28, 2014

Parent Written bysueryan10 February 8, 2014

Sweet and engaging

My 20 month old son likes this show. We usually watch the end of Sesame street which precedes Daniel Tiger so we always get a snippet of the show. My son has just begun to look interested. He has even sat through an entire 12 minute show. Daniel speaks directly to the audience. The show teaches coping skills for varied realistic situations through a simple song with a predictable melody. in response to the teens who have posted negative reviews on this page: the show is not for 15-17 year olds. it is intended for the preschool crowd and does a good job engaging them with the animation and music.
Parent Written byGracegirl97 October 8, 2013

Welcome Daniel Tiger to Your Neighborhood!

I am so pleased that PBS had done Mr. Rodgers proud. Daniel Tiger carries on his tradition of teaching kids how to deal with their feelings, make sense of their world, and use their imagination. Lessons are illustrated in simple to understand ways without being simplistic. The song used to reinforce the lesson are easy for parent and child to sing later so that the learning continues well after the show is over. In an age of a plethora of children's programming, Daniel Tiger is my top pick for my son's age group.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 6 year old Written byVCastaneda November 7, 2012

Great songs with a message

The messages that Daniel Tiger sends out are very positive. It helped my little boy understand that when I drop him off at school, I will come back. It was an episode called Grown-Ups Come Back. It is very sweet, he even signs the song that is associated with it.