Parent reviews for Danny Phantom

Danny Phantom Poster Image

I love this nicktoon a lot. I like the action and visuals that’s about it. It’s a great show for kids.

7 ft

Danny Phantom - A Recommended Nickelodeon Show

Danny Phantom can be literally a fun adventure about a boy who has the ability to turn into a ghost, fighting off evil ghosts in order to protect everyone including his family and friends.

Not my thing

I am probably gonna get a lot of hate for this because I know it had a lot of fans but the truth is I never got into it when I was a kid

One of the last great Nicktoon shows

I remember watching this show back in highschool. It was a good time killer and it's just a ghost busters type show except more action-y. It's a little violent but there's worse violence out there. It's definitely for older kids especially if you have sensitive kids. It was one of the few Nicktoon shows that was "Homebrew" and not aquired (like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragon Ball Z Kai, LBX etc...) that they offer that is more "dark and serious". It is a decent show when you compare it to the mindless garbage that Butch Hartman (the series creator) also put out like Tuff Puppy and The Fairly Odd Parents. But it's also edgier and less silly but is that nessessarily a bad thing when you consider the target audience age? (It's supposed to be Y-7 and the rating fits).

Better than average.

Danny Phantom asks the question, "What if there was a superhero who had ghost powers and was able to fight ghosts?" Danny is an average 14-year-old who is overlooked at school by both teachers and "cool" people. Additionally, his parents are known for being the occupational ghost hunters of Amity Park who have yet to catch or even actually find any of the elusive specters. One day, Danny's two friends (Tucker the "techno-geek" and Sam the "goth" and vegetarian) convince him to show him the ghost portal his parents are building in his basement. After accidentally turning it on, Danny is hit with ectoplasm and energy from the portal and finds he has gained the ability to turn into a ghost at will. With the portal now working, ghosts are able to come out of it to annoy/terrorize the people of Amity Park and Danny must use his new-found powers to fight them off because their obsessions do not generally let them listen to reason. In addition, as the prominent "ghost" of Amity Park, his parents are now hunting him as well, meaning that he cannot turn to them for help in fighting the ghosts, making him depend on his friends as back-up. Pros: many of the episodes have messages against selfishness, teamwork, not cheating, not bullying, and we also see the problems one villain faces when he refuses to give up his crush for Danny's mom. Cons: Danny does not always respect Tucker, superhero cartoon style battles, Danny's parents (and everyone else) are rather clueless about his half-ghost status, Danny and Tucker often admire girls only for their looks, and this cartoon is a little bit darker than most cartoons because of the ghosts. Summary: this cartoon is for older children and also teens and adults who like the humor and stories that give a little bit of a message you can take with you.

A very well done show - great characters and plot.

This is a great show, with lots of positive messages. It's very well done as far as the characters and plot go (especially compared to the newer cartoons on TV nowadays). It's about a "teen superhero" of sorts, so there is some violence. But, for the most part it's Danny Phantom fighting ghosts, and they don't exactly get hurt or injured since they're ghosts, so I wouldn't say it's too violent or the kind of violence parents would need to avoid. It's not scary in the least (the ghosts come across more as "super powered people" rather than dead spirits or anything like that) and tends to have a good message in every episode. Personally Joly Herman's review of this show seems a bit exaggerated. It's not nearly as violent as the review makes it come across. As I already mentioned, it is a "super hero" type show, so naturally there is fighting happening, but I fail to see any "rush to violence" as Joly Herman put it. Actually I have an answer to each of the questions under the "explore, discuss, enjoy" section: 1) Why does such a clever show need so many battles? My answer: It's a super hero cartoon, so of course there needs to be battles. That's the whole _point_ of super heroes. However, I feel Joly Herman's review doesn't judge the show fairly on that front. There's so much happening throughout the whole show - it's not nonstop fighting at all. Not even close! 2) Is Danny's dad oblivious to what goes on in his house? My answer: Yes, as a matter of fact he is. This is the only part of this show that I dislike. Danny Phantom features the classic Nickelodeon "stupid father." A lot of Nick shows seem to feature a dad who has very little (if any) intelligence. Why they're so fond of this type of character I do not know. Everything else in the show is really, very well done though. I think dealing with a "stupid father" type character is a small price to pay for a really well done cartoon. Most cartoons nowadays are so terribly done I can't even bear to watch them - and all I watch is cartoons, so I have a lot to compare them to. 3) Why does Danny choose to hide his powers from his mom and dad? My answer: I think Joly Herman needs to re-watch the series and pay more attention this time. This review makes it seem like it's a huge, obvious hole in the show's plot, but I think there are a lot of different answers to this, all of them pretty obvious. The main reason is that Danny's parents are not just "experts in paranormal activity." They're ghost HUNTERS. Their goal is to find and destroy ghosts. That being considered, if I were Danny, I probably would have kept me being half ghost a secret too! Another reason why he didn't just tell them is the same reason why every "super hero" character has a secret identity. You don't want your enemies knowing everything about you and who you care about. Most of Danny's enemies know who he is, but there are a few who don't - like Valerie Grey and the Guys in White for example. 4) Do you think it's easy to keep secrets from your parents? My answer: Honestly I don't see what this question has to do with Danny Phantom. It's never easy for him to keep his ghost powers a secret anyway (at one point he's fed up with it to the point that he doesn't even want his powers anymore), and that's not a message I see this show sending. Besides, we're not talking about keeping something simple and normal a secret - he literally changed his DNA into something else. I don't know many kids who _wouldn't_ be afraid to tell their parents about becoming half ghost, especially if they were always talking about destroying ghosts around you. It just seemed realistic to me. 5) What's the benefit of keeping parents in the dark? My answer: Again, I don't see what this question has to do with Danny Phantom. He only kept them in the dark about one thing - him being half ghost. And in the long run, it didn't prove very beneficial at all. To sum up, I think it has a lot of good messages, and is fine for kids of almost any age, though it would probably be most enjoyed by kids who are at least 6 or 7 years old.

Got ghosts? DANNY PHANTOM WILL GET EM!

This is a nice show to watch! Great animation (it's expected to be from Butch),nice action,fun to watch,ect.It's really good! Just not as great as T.U.F.F. Puppy and FOP.

He's gonna catch em all cause he's DANNY PHANTOM!

When I was little, I wasn't really into this show. Now that I'm older, I love it now! It has some violence, but it's all cartoonish. This is a good show! But they don't make any new episodes anymore, however you are able to watch reruns on the Nicktoons Channel! If you like The Fairly Odd Parents and T.U.F.F. Puppy, you would like this show as well!