Kid reviews for Digimon: Digital Monsters

Loud battles + toy tie-ins = OK, but not great.

Wondering if Digimon: Digital Monsters is OK for your kids?

Teen, 17 years old Written byVeemon12345 August 21, 2019

A representative of how all kid shows should be

It is a great show in which the characters learn lessons about friendship, love, and growing up. It is not a Pokémon clone, though it is VERY closely connected with tamagotchi and other monster based virtual pets. The kids are slowly revealed to have bad home lives too. Like the parents of two brothers (Matt and T.K.) are split up and Matt, being older, feels it’s his responsibility to keep T.K. safe in the digital world and is always thinking about him. He feels as though it’s his way of making up for the years of not being with T.K. . The digital monsters are either compliments or contrasts to the kids. Like Sora, who feels her mother is overprotective since she keeps coming home from soccer practice with injuries and the mother doesn’t want her playing soccer anymore. But when Sora’s Digimon Biyomon gets hurt, Sora wants Biyomon to stop fighting and rest. She then realizes her mother loves Sora a lot and just wants her to be safe. This show is filled with deeper meanings and themes that will make you laugh, cry, and even gasp. And don’t worry, stuff from the original Japanese version is censored such as alcohol. This is a great show for the whole family to watch.

Teen, 13 years old Written byzevion August 22, 2019

THE NOSTALGIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Digimon Adventures 01 was such a fun and intense show.
I can remember a great fight scene where the giant cactus Digimon fights another giant Digimon and it was really cool.
It also differentiates itself from Pokemon quite well and has a very catchy theme song.
Adventure 02 was okay, Fusion was terrible, and Frontier was even more awesome than this, but this is still amazing.
Parents should know that this contains big action scenes between cartoony monsters and the typical anime tropes, but otherwise great for your kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBookistic December 23, 2016

Awesome show, in my opinion

First of all, you're going to need a better reason than "it'll promote the products." Honestly, A LOT of shows "promote" their products. And is that really much of a bad thing? If your kid is playing with cards and toys isn't that slightly better than them staying stuck on their screens all day? I'd say it is. The Digimon franchise currently has 6 anime shows, which are Digimon Adventure, Digimon Adventures 2, Digimon Tamers, Digimon Frontier, Digimon Data Squad, and Digimon Fusion (the titles may be different in the Japanese versions). The first Digimon Adventure show focuses on 7 children, in the beginning, who all end up with a Digimon partner. Along the way, the kids' bonds with their partners strengthen, causing them to gain new abilities and to become stronger. They also become better friends with each other. The second Digimon Adventure show centers around 5 kids, and later on there is a sixth. This one is pretty similar to the first, and could be seen as a continuation. Digimon Tamers is when the plots start to change and it also starts to get more dark and violent. The show mainly centers around 3 kids, who, once again, each have a Digimon partner. The fights in the third start to get a little more dark and when the kids Bio-merge with their partners, they DO lose their clothes which could make some kids feel uncomfortable. Putting that aside, Tamers could give kids positive messages about friendship and teamwork and even forgiveness. Frontier is when the kids gain the ability to become Digimon themselves. This one could definitly teach kids about the importance of friendship and never giving up. Data Squad would have to be my least favorite, considering the fact that the focus character tends to like solving problems with his "fists" but it still does teach kids about the importance of friendship and, in a way, strategy. Fusion is where things get more, so to speak, complicated. The first two parts of Fusion fpcus mainly on one character, marking it as the first one to have the main role's friends mostly be for moral support. The second part, though, focuses on three characters which all (kind of) have Digimon partners. I feel as if this one definitly has its flaws, but it still has some positive messages. The third part of Fusion is when things, in my opinion, actually start to seem more like Pokemon, although it still is pretty enjoyable.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenGeek May 10, 2015

For me, better than Pokemon

This was my favorite show as a kid, and I still sometimes watch it today. I've always liked it better than Pokemon, which felt a bit too shallow. Digimon has a great plot, some really good (and scary) villains, and overall felt less childish than Pokemon. The kids should have no problem with it, as most fights are fought by Digimon, rather than humans. Also, no-one ever gets hurt, and when Digimon 'die', they are reborn later. If your kid is a little older, you might want to try watching the japanese version. It's a million times better than the dub, the music making the biggest difference.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHainesama123 June 26, 2013

Japanese Version ages 13+, English Version 7+

I am going to review the Japanese Version of Digimon first, The Music was terrific, escpecially butterfly, the theme song.The plot was very good too and the characters are really likeable,especially Taichi Yagami. The english version was ok but there are translation issues escpecially in the part where Tai introduces the characters and later forgets T.K(Takeru)'s name. The reason why I recomend the Japanese version for anyone 13 or older because there is a bath scene and there is some romance between Taichi and Sora. Overall, I recomend this for anyone who is not a pokemon fan.

Teen, 16 years old Written byspiderkilroy October 26, 2012

It is not a ripoff. Digimon came first.

Alright. I am reviewing this because im tired of people saying that Digimon is a ripoff of pokemon. Digimon came out 3 years before pokemon in japan. it was only released in america after pokemon. stop calling it a ripoff!

Teen, 16 years old Written byUnderoathfan777 October 17, 2012

Not for kids at all.

In the japanese version,one of the characters [Zoe] shows her lower chest and underwear briefly.Only watch the american version.

Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2009

Good for children

Good for yong anime fans!

Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 5, 2009

Better than Pokemon.

Digimon is everything Pokemon is not. Better plot, more drama and character foil, cooler monsters, not as kiddish, and so on. I luv it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byvizcayan August 6, 2020

Really great characters and plot!

This show has very creative and unique settings and characters. It explored a lot of concepts I had never seen before and wasn’t afraid to have original and deep lessons that weren’t totally in your face. Every character is very relatable and eventually it is revealed that they each struggle with personal issues that were very unheard of in western children’s media at the time, honestly digimon probably paved the way for modern cartoons to deal with more serious subjects. There are a lot of children who were able to relate to this show and to feel less alienated with their personal issues. Such as the subject of divorce or the pressure to preform well in school or in social circles. The plot is never slow and the viewer is always invested. And as a person who LOVES Pokémon I can say digimon is not some cheap rip off. Was Star Wars a ripoff of Star Trek? No, they both are good in their own individual ways and hold a special place in the hearts of the children and adults who watched them.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAoi K May 25, 2020

Fact: Digimon is better than Pokemon False Statement: Digimon is a ripoff.

Like I said, Digimon is not a ripoff of Pokemon. People who just say Pokemon is a ripoff doesn't even add the fact why. The only thing Digimon and Pokemon have in common is just human and partners. The characters are different. There were 7 kids who were trapped in the digital world and somehow find a way to save themselves from evil Digimon that try to exterminate them. Pokemon: Ash, a ten-year-old boy from Pallet Town, wants to be the best Pokemon trainer in the world/Pokemon Master. Digimon and Pokemon's plot is nowhere near the same. Pokemon's original name was Pocket Monster, while Digimon was called Digimon as "a" tv-show. (I'm only comparing the shows, not products). If you really don't care about controversial things and care about anime quality, Digimon is the way to go. Overall, Digimon has a more detailed plot than Pokemon's simple plot. Remember, the more detailed the plot, the more interesting the anime is. I forgot to mention that Digimon characters age unlike Ash. But there are many other ways that Digimon isn't a ripoff of Pokemon.

P.S. Ash is getting dumber as the Pokemon show carries on. Doesn't age either. He even forgot his Snivy was a girl. lol, he doesn't even have feelings for anyone unlike Taichi.

Here are image links to show you their titles. Trust me, their names are different.

Pokemon:

Digimon:

Teen, 16 years old Written byrenoni December 15, 2018

terrible its a pokemon rip off ...

Why do many teens say this is unique from pokemon , its very similar , only in digital world setting, there just pokemon in the internet ,can talk,and look monstrouse.. There still pokemon rip offs regaurdgless, whatever teen say it unique makes me want to puke a lot ! despite being one myself!
Teen, 13 years old Written byknacksnack October 26, 2018

Its not 100% like pokemon , just the word mon at the end and similarities you tame monsters to help you in battle against opponents to progress in the story !

Pretty good I just like xros wars more because of the music and art style, this ones really cool too robot aliens and stuff evolutioN!!! Great
Teen, 17 years old Written byTacoshrimp00 April 3, 2018
This show seems it for kiddo around this age, alongside the violence. The Characters are good.

Teen, 17 years old Written byanimemaster64 January 4, 2018

great anime love episode 21 great meme too bad the dub cuts out, what clearly is part of Japanese culture like 4kids did to pokemon

Kid, 10 years old November 14, 2016

This is just stupid and it's a copy of Pokemon!

I wanted to rate this two and a half stars out of five stars but you can't do that. This is such a copy of Pokémon so obviously it's going to be stupidly dumb. Don't watch this. Don't let your kids watch it even though it's appropriate. It's just dumbly stupid.
Kid, 12 years old September 12, 2015

Digimon is fine

Ok, so Digimon is an anime that has its own toys, tcg and its own world. So sure, it's going to promote those toys. But that doesn't mean anyone shouldn't watch it, you'd need a better reason than that, if you would have asked me.

Digimon is a bit like pokemon, in small ways, even they're names are similar (digimon =digital monsters , pokemon = pocket monsters). But they have huge differences as well.

One big example is that digimon isn't afraid of using 'bathroom references', as in the need for the toilet. Whereas, pokemon doesn't even show traces of a bathroom, anywhere. This is mostly down to the fact of culture, and bathroom being a sign of uncleanliness, and not wanting pokemon characters to seem unclean or dirty. This is just one difference, probally one of the more negative ones, maybe.

However, Digimon is still fine for children, don't assume that its inappropriate just because of one little thing thats already going to be part of a child's live anyway. Although if any parent does not want their children to watch digimon because of this reason, then fine, It is not up to me.

I've actually watched digimon, although I personally prefer pokemon. I've put some research into my reveiw as well, so most facts should be true.
Hope this helped in some way or another.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T March 11, 2015

Series plagiarized from Pokémon.

This series is OK, but technically it's based on Pokémon. The characters are different and their "Pokémon" look different and sometimes change their appearance to battle mode. Same storyline, same concept.

Kid, 11 years old May 1, 2011

Amazing, if you can keep track of the whole and avoid Frontier and Data Squad

The first 3 seasons are amazing, after that it's as 'bout as good as Pokemon. The third season (Tamers) is where it gets violent. With one of trash-can-dump things leaving the digital world with the kids. I see you've complained about its lack of continuity, but it has a lot more than episodic shows like say Pokemon, or Spongebob. Digimon just is rebooted every season except for season 2, which on from season 1 with a whole new set of Digidestined. Season 3 takes place in a universe where the first 2 seasons were a popular TV show. You need to watch earlier episodes or it doesn't make sense because there is a very strong continuity so have to see it in order.
Well season 2 lets the Digidestined travel between worlds all the time (because the gate between the worlds is in one of the computers in the computer lab). Season 3 (Tamers from now on) because it is set in another universe, has tamers instead, hence the title Tamers.
Of all the continuitys (I don't know the plural for that word) there are only 3 people who fight for fun, everyone else fights for survival, hence it has much better morals then Pokemon. I will now tell you the 3 people who fight for fun; Ken (A.K.A. The Digimon Emperor) from season 2 , but he thought it was just a video game, so he's kinda excused, then we have have Rika (A.K.A. The Digimon Queen) from Tamers, who knew that it was real, but thought digimon have to fight, and here is the third and final of this list, Renamon (Rika's partner in Tamers) maybe fought for more than for fun, she did say that a soda that Takuto gave her was first gift.
I should probably put the names of the main heros in each of the 3 first seasons; the first 8 Digidestined: Tai, Matt, Joe, T.K., Sora, Mimi, and Kari, now for the 4 new Digidestined (Kari, and T.K. stayed Digidestined) Yoilei, Cody, Davis, and Ken, ( yeah they forgave him, they give good messages like that), now for the 4 Tamers, from Tamers, Takuto, Henry, Rika and Ryo. Season 1 has the kids stuck the Digiworld, I already told you about 2, but Tamers is kinda weird in that the digimon are on earth for most of it, but they can't travel between worlds.
There are 5 seasons in all, 4 is called Frontier, and 5 is Data Squad, but I ignore them because make no sense with the games that go with them, thus the product placement part, something, that I normally wouldn't mind, but not only is there notable product placement but you to import them from Japan because they make no sense without them and got released out of Japan. If I was going to count those anymore then I did just now, I would take some stars away, and stick educational on because to understand it, you'd need to learn Japanese.
Tamers seems to have tacked on a follow your dreams thing, even without taking the original Japanese theme song into account. After all, Takuto created Guilmon with his drawing, and the first 2 seasons had the Crests, Tags, and Eggs, used to digivolve the partner digimon using virtues taken from the Digidestined, like Hope, Kindness, Love, Curiosity, and Courage.
Tamers has some of the kids protecting their digimon from a secret branch of the Japanese Government: ENIAC.
Here random info you might want to have before letting little kids watch it;

Some of the scenes are pretty intense, though the average 7year-old should be able to handle it. Like the Bug-house episode, or anytime SkullWarGreymon or the D-Reaper shows up.
But some things are just plain scary, like the J-Reaper agent, or Piedmon turning just about everyone into keychains.
But there is a lot of cute too! Just about anything with Calumon is cute sweet and fluffy. Or when Guilmon eats bread.
This show can funny too! If a scene has Davis and it's not a fight scene it'll probably be funny, or when Guilmon and Calumon made a bunch lines on the soccer field.
So I guess this show has a good balance of all good things a show needs, but the last episodes always bring up tears. The end of Season 1 ends with the Digidestined leaving their partners, if you season 2 you know that they meet up again but they don't know that. At the end of season 2 the Digidestined and the digimon stay together, but a man that always wanted to see the Digiworld dies just before he get in, and the end of Tamers makes everyone cry, seeing Kokomon, Gummimon, Gigimon, and Viximon all have to go the digital world because as baby-level digimon they aren't strong to enough to stay on Earth, and Guilmon had never been a baby-level digimon before, and Earth was only home he ever had, Degenerating into Gigimon and then leaving Takuto forever would really hard for him.

People are saying this is a knockoff of Pokemon, but no it's attempt to sell Tamogotchi to boys.

By they way, Pokemon can't go backwards, and there aren't any mouse digimon, last time I checked.
Between the games, the mangas, the movies, the audio dramas, and the anime, there's at least 24 different canons. And the v-pet backstories. Games are mostly one-offs. If you keep track of the canon (one per season, game, manga series, and half line of v-pets, (some of the movies and audio dramas are in the same canon as some of the anime), except for seasons 1 and 2 of a the anime) It has great story line.

Kid, 10 years old May 18, 2010

6/10

1 problem THE SHOW IS A RIP OFF!!!!!!!! so get ur own ideas but overall it is a decent show but the fact that its to close to pikachu this show cant pass 6