All parent member reviews for Dinosaur Train

Parent of a 2, 4, and 4 year old Written byCourtneyB January 19, 2010

Don't like the evolution tid bits thrown in after each section.
Parent Written byStayatHomeDad June 10, 2011

What happened to "All GODS creatures"/

I love this show and so does my 8month old, as soon as he hears the opening song he turns towards the TV and starts bouncing. However, I noticed this morning that the mother does not say "We are all GODS creatures" in the opening song. That bothers me VERY much.
Parent Written bySalanaland March 1, 2012

All the dino info nobody knew when you were a kid, plus manners and social skills too!

Dinosaur Train has an excellent scientific backing with the most up to date information about dinosaurs. It also does a great job of teaching scientific literacy, both in general ("I have a hypothesis!" is Buddy's tagline, followed by Tiny explaining, "That's an idea you can test") and dinosaur-specific ("You have three toes, so you're a therapod like me"). All little kids should watch this show--it's a great counterbalance to the scientific illiteracy being promoted by certain institutions in the US today. Not only is the science component incredibly strong, it also contains lots of great lessons on social and emotional skills as well as problem solving. (This is especially appreciated as I have [and was] a kid who tends to become obsessive about interests, and is lacking in social skills.) Social problems--like jealousy over a new friend being better than you at your best skill--are handled deftly, and every encounter with a new dinosaur ends with a new friendship being formed and a lesson being learned. For example, Tiny Pteranodon is jealous when they meet Mikey Microraptor, who is even smaller than Tiny and has four wings where she has two. He can get into smaller places and retrieve things, which she has taken special pride in. She is jealous of him, despite his obvious admiration of her. Mrs. Pteranodon even explains to her that he's imitating everything she says because he thinks she's so awesome (partially because she can fly much better than he can--excellent science, of course.) But when the Dinosaur Train is stopped by a nut wedged in the exhaust pipe, Tiny and Mikey work together to get the nut out and save the day, and then sing a song about Tiny-and-Mikey Power. Everyone can learn from that situation, and it's not just a bland plotline like you'd expect from a kid's show. Dinosaur Train is also interesting for parents. There's no objectionable content, but parents will recognize allusions like "Confuciusornis Says", and more dino-savvy parents will be amused at Arlene Archaeopteryx's German accent (the first Archaeopteryx was found in Germany). Also, nobody even knew half these dinosaurs when we were kids, so it's quite educational. Plus, feathered dinosaurs are awesome, especially Microraptor. Seriously, FOUR WINGS.
Parent Written byWisconsinvisitor June 14, 2012

Insightful and vigilant

My daughter (age 2) likes this show and every time it comes on she begins singing the song animatedly. I feel that the show is very entertaining and educational but I have begun to notice a subtle effort to try to teach kids about shying away from "superstitious" beliefs, such as in the episode about the draught and dancing for rain. Is this an effort to try to persuade children away from religion and religious beliefs? I have also noticed the portion about Dr. Scott the paleontologist talking more and more about millions of years and evolution education then it was earlier in the shows history. Initially the show treated this subject matter with great censorship to avoid disenchanting many conservative Christian parents, but now it is outright flagrant, unsympathetic, and unapologetic. This type of trend caused me to try to find other shows that my daughter likes that won't try to propagandize her or compromise her mind set from the truth. However, for its other educational value I do think that it is a good show. I have seen many attempts to teach chikldren about sharing, cooperation and teamwork, science and classification, basic physics, and even some arithmetic. As Always the devil is in the details.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKick_Kiki April 1, 2011

Content more for kindergarden age...

The show is educational when it comes to content on the "dinosaur-era" and such. What I like are the excerpts after each segment with the palentologist explaining a few key things about the dinosaur or plant highlighted in the episode. It may be a bit much to take in for those younger than kindergarden age content-wise, but the style of animation and characters seem geared more towards the preschool and younger age. My son is 3 and loves the show for the dinosaurs, their games and of course the train. He seems to enjoy learning the different names of the dinosaurs, but I'm not sure he thoroughly understands all the details and such. On the "dinosaur poop" epsiode, we have yet to come across that one ourselves, but I have a bit of an idea of what it may be about and I'm wondering why anyone would be seriously freaking out about it. Some people worry about an episode as such, but not about reading a book about little kids going potty or explaining to their child about "poop" when it comes to potty training. It's all a part of life people.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byStylinworkinmon March 17, 2011

My whole family loves this show!

My 4 yr old son has been watching this show for over a year. They teach such great scientific concepts in a language preschoolers can understand. I have a 1 1/2 year old girl who loves the music in the opening scene. Some of the shows have dancing/singing segments that she watches. I sit down and am captivated by the material and have learned new things!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjacksmom16 January 8, 2010

I LOVE THIS SHOW... as does my 2 yr old son. I hope they make some DVDs/ toys soon!!!
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 20, 2014

This is one of the most educational cartoons out there now-a-days!

Dinosaur Train is very educational, because, they teach everyone about dinosaurs, which ones are carnivores, omnivores, herbivores, which ones lived in each different time period of the mesozoic era including the triassic, jurassic, and, cretaceous, and, they compare dinosaurs/animals from the mesozoic time period to modern animals. I also enjoy the fun songs they sing. This show offers the best of both worlds, educational and entertaining. I recommend school-aged/college children should watch this show as well, because, they don't teach evolution in school anymore. I learned a lot from watching this show and this show inspired me to have an interest in dinosaurs. This show has educated, inspired, and, entertained me in the last five years. I've been watching it since it came out on Monday September 7, 2009, I was 15 (one day before my 16th birthday), I was watching it then and I still watch it now. Another thing I enjoy about the show is they have a paleontologist talk in between segments of the show talking about dinosaurs/animals, I think that part is the most educational. I recommend this cartoon, because, your child will be both educated and entertained at the same time, that's really hard to find in a lot of cartoons, that's why PBS Kids offer's the best children's programming. This is the only cartoon I actually learn from on PBS Kids, the other cartoons I watch on PBS Kids are just for entertainment. The other cartoon channels are NOT nearly as good as the cartoons on PBS Kids. Everyone should watch Dinosaur Train, because, you're never too old to learn, no matter what age. Dinosaur Train is educational in three ways, palentology, science, and, natural history. This is pure wholesome entertainment. I think the three most wholesome shows are dinosaur train, clifford, and, arthur.
Parent Written byZynn September 2, 2014

Awesome show!

This show is educational and teaches good qualities, like sharing, manners, patience, helpfulness, etc.. They have some fun songs. It is colorful and has contrast to help with visual development. My daughter perks up and starting hopping in her bouncer, with a huge grin on her face, when she hears the theme song playing. On a side note, I had no idea there were so many different types of ceratopsians, theropods, sauropods, and ornithischians.
Parent Written bywatchdog_mama February 11, 2014

Fantastic - introduced our son to categorization and thinking like a scientist!

We think this show is fantastic. First, it's very entertaining -- the dinosaurs are cool, the storylines are interesting, the songs are catchy, and the mix of facts and fun is spot-on. We love the characters. My son loves Buddy, Tiny, and Don best. His mom (me) is especially fond of Tiny, a girl pteranodon who manages to be brilliant, scientifically-minded, and girly, all at the same time. But our favorite thing about this show is that it introduced our son to scientific thinking (noticing a question, making a guess about an answer, and then testing the theory) and categorization. We actually haven't watched Dinosaur Train for a month or so now, but we're still talking constantly about herbivores, carnivores and omnivores -- for example, we saw a manatee at the zoo, noticed the lettuce leaves floating at the top, and guessed that he must be an herbivore; he also still sorts his plastic dinosaurs into sauropods, theropods, etc. before thinking about their species. And, thanks to Dr. Scott, my son now thinks that scientists are just about the coolest people around. This is a very high-quality, entertaining show that we all enjoyed watching very much. But what makes it phenomenal is the categorization vocabulary it's given us to help us understand the rest of the world.
Parent Written byHRobsonGriffin April 21, 2013

We love Dinosaur Train!

Dinosaur train is a terrific show, with lots of fun songs, and real educational value too! It introduces children to basic scientific principles and critical thinking. It also engenders creative thinking, curiosity, love and understanding of nature, tolerance and appreciation of our many similarities and differences. My daughter (4yrs) and I love Dinosaur Train!
Adult Written byjw1707 January 24, 2013

good but timing is way way way off!

its ok i guess but has some unrealistics like the time! all that was here 10s of millions of years ago was empty darkness.
Parent Written byjessidach February 8, 2012

Good show, just stay away from the "dinosaur poop" episode.

My 2 and a half year old little boy absolutely loves the show. I think it is very educational and kid friendly. At the same time I was disgusted this morning when I put it on for my son...i'm sitting there eating breakfast and the "Dinosaur Poop" episode comes on. I had never seen that one before and it made me sick. I love the fact that my son is learning all about dinos with the show but I don't think it's necessary for him to learn about their poo. It's sick! I seriously want to complain to the creators. about that episode. All the others are fine though.
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts December 24, 2011

Cute

"Dinosaur Poop" isn't that inappropriate. I mean If you want to know everything about Dinosaurs, Poop is one thing you have to know.
Parent Written byheather s October 11, 2011

We Love It

My 4-year old daughter is hooked on this awesome show and I am really glad. It is very well done - great animation, character development, relationships, and educational material. We know all the words to the opening song by heart and sing it all the time - there are no references to god in it - despite what some of these reviewers are saying. Google the lyrics if you don't believe me.
Parent Written bySingle Mom in Mo September 5, 2011

My Sons Fav!

My son watches this on netflix and loves it. he now watches National Geographic shows on dinosaurs and reads educational books about them
Parent of a 3 year old Written bybutterfly_mama July 23, 2011

Great!

Both my DS and I love Dinosaur Train and catch myself singing the theme song :)
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjbsiiter April 21, 2011

Excellent Show!

Best show for preschoolers! Even though my daughter is too young to say 'corinthasaurus' it still holds her attention. Not too flashy, fun music, educational and the best part? My husband and I love to watch it too! I wish I could find more shows like this!
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bythe social netw... March 24, 2011

Parent Written byJeflau February 2, 2011

Both my kids loved watching this show. The oldest has just turned away from it now (he is 7) and that is only because he hasn't seen anything new lately.