Parent reviews for Dora the Explorer

Preschoolers will love Dora's ongoing adventures.

Adult Written bypoppetsmommy April 9, 2008

Rude little girl!

The bilingual aspect is great-but Dora's voice just grates-and she yells. She is constantly yelling "Say_______! Say _________!" I'm trying to teach my daughter to always use "please" and "thank you". Dora is forbiden in my house.
Parent Written byMomma_2_3Boys January 31, 2013

Stickin up for kids

The bad reviews are pretty hilarious. Saying it's not educational, it teaches witchcraft? Really?! Come on people! It's DORA geez. Not SPONGEBOB! Complaining it makes your kid yell? They're INTERACTING. Complaining they jump up and down? Better than sitting in a trance! Showing "Scary trolls and monsters"? Really?! It teaches kids NOT to be afraid of those things because you can outSMART them! Kids love Dora, they grow out of watching it just like any other kid show. And for you ADULTS to say its boring, annoying, or CHILDISH???? Its for KIDS!!! GEEZ! Your kid will learn spanish wether they let you know the "english" word or not. Kids are SMART, they don't need explanation like you adults! ugh. the NERVE. I tell ya.

Educational Value
Parent of an infant and 2-year-old Written byshamrockgrl74 April 9, 2008
I will not let my 3 year old watch this show. There are much better educational shows on TV. Dora has horrible manners - Yelling, telling others what to do. SHe knows of Dora thru all the items in the stores. You can't get away from it, but she has never seen a show.
Parent of a 2-year-old Written byfaroffstar April 2, 2010

Cute, educational, can get annoying for parents though

My son loves this show. He really seems to "get into it" particularly when Swiper shows up. Also, he says "Hola" to say hello at times and calls his pet monkey, "El Mono" both of which he learned on Dora. He's only 2 years old.

My one true complaint is that they SHOUT everything and it kind of drives me nuts after awhile.

Adult Written byM H March 4, 2018

Unimaginative and poorly done

There's just nothing here worth watching. Repetitive with no real plot or creativity put into it. With the 1000 other kids shows out there, why waste your time on what is essentially a bland toy commercial.

Adult Written byShawn P. February 22, 2018

This is the best show I have ever seen in my life.

I watch this show with my son and I have go to say this is the best show I have ever seen in my life! The first time I saw this show it cured my depression and I couldn't stop watching episode after episode. My son said that he didn't really like the show but i didn't care and I made him watch ten episodes straight anyways! He's much more cooperative now after watching. Strongly Recommend you sit your kids down to watch this, it gives them a taste of the real world and disciplines them.

Parent of a 2, 4, 8, and 10-year-old Written byrukiddingme December 29, 2008

Great educational show!!

I am here to defend Dora the Explorer. She is very educational. This show teaches problem solving, shapes, letters, numbers and some Spanish. If you do not live in a Hispanic populated area, you may be blind to see that learning Spanish is a great resource for children. If you think she is mean and yells at people or is into paganism, give me a break! I think that the cartoons we were all raised on, like Bugs Bunny, My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake were more violent and were more involved into paganism than Dora ever could live up to. I do think Dora is a great show and I do let my children watch it.
What harm could it do? Oh no! My child wants to make believe and she wants to be a princess or she might pick up some Spanish. The world is not going to end if you let your child watch Dora the Explorer.
Adult Written byNick M. May 7, 2019

FOR PETE'S SAKE! WHO KNEW PARENTS COULD BE SUCH DOOFUSSES?

For Pete's sake! This is a KIDS show. Dora doesn't do anything wrong! It does good things, like TEACH KIDS SPANISH! You parents are complete doofusses! SHUT UP!

Parent of a 3, 6, and 9-year-old Written byMamaNikkiP August 17, 2010

BLAH

Dora is annoying, whiney and I am so sick of this show, honestly. It has been around for 10 yrs, kids really do enjoy the show and it is great for learning spanish words, but that is about it. All 3 of my kids liked this when younger, but it is a headache for parents!
Adult Written bycraftymom April 9, 2008

over-commercialized junk

this show stinks. the barrage of products that follows it baffle me, as the show has horribly lame stories (even for the youngest ages), and my 3-yr-old finds it boring. The talking-at-the-screen doesn't make my child respond, and the random espanol-dropping doesn't make this bad lip-synch animation educational--it is simply aimed to trick parents into believing it is. don't waste your "two hours or less per day" of viewing time on this unimaginative and boring show. Watch something with creativity, imagination, and great music, like the Backyardigans.
Adult Written bykmoycallwood32 June 8, 2020

Dora The explorer Great review!!!

Its definetly for age 2 year olds and up! My 2 year old daughter loves Dora the explorer for her 2nd birthday!

Parent of a 2, 8, and 12-year-old Written byCJ B. May 10, 2020

I wish this website would clean up the sarcastic reviews.

The show isn't great but it isn't demonic or anything stupid like that. My problem is the klepto fox. Also how it strays so far from reality it's not even entertaining. Go Diego Go is better.

Adult Written byJsjshshsh April 25, 2020
Adult Written bykatalina January 28, 2020

toddler loves it.

The show teaches compassion and empathy for others, different cultures, and animals. I like that it gets your child moving by stomping their feet or clapping their hands. Each episode encourages the viewer to problem solve by presenting solutions to choose from that involve math, such as shapes and numbers, or art like music and colors, while your child is none the wiser. The characters treat each other with kindness and respect, never speaking ill of each other or being violent, and help each other when in need (including the bad guy, Swiper, to recognize how swiping from others affects them). Not to mention, your child will pick up on Spanish, because the show includes the viewer by asking for your help from growing flowers to reuniting a baby bird with it's Mommy. However, you might catch your kid yelling while watching the show, because it does tell you to say whatever phrase they need help with ”Louder!” often, so one star off for that. That aside, I also like that it helps build memory by asking the viewer to remember the map order they need to travel by each episode.

I’ll be honest, I tried to hold off on my kid watching tv as long as possible, and especially Dora the Explorer (or any show that can be seen on the shelves of most toy isles) - but someone put the show on for her while baby sitting, and I gotta say it’s a great show.

The other bad reviews seem to be commenting on the movie, Dora The Explorer in the Lost City of Gold, which I’ll agree is geared towards a more mature audience. But the tv show is so good that my daughter now speaks in Spanish phrases interchangeably. For example, “Sientate perrito.” Or “Sit puppy.” And she’s 2 and half.

Not sure what the other bad reviews mean about paganism, I've yet to see that issue and we’re on Season 5 now.

Adult Written byChristianParentOf2 January 16, 2020

Good show, but Swiper may be scary for children under 8.

This is a model of what animation SHOULD be. No sexual content, no foul language, no drug use, nothing but wholesome entertainment the whole family can enjoy.

Swiper may be frightening for those under age 8, though, because he confronts Dora and tries to steal her stuff. He does learn his lesson. Plus, it's educational and teaches children Spanish.

Parent of a 9, 12, and 15-year-old Written byBOBRANCHERED June 25, 2019

THIS IS AMAZING FOR ALL AGES

All of my kids love this show to this day. I even love it! I still kind of force them to watch it so my friends don’t think I’m a loser but everyone in my household has to watch this daily!

Parent of a 3-year-old Written byTaliMelo June 4, 2019
Adult Written byquincy12 May 8, 2019

Perfect for teaching younger kids Spanish

Parents need to know that Dora means well and is teaching kids to be open with the Spanish language. Parents who live in a Hispanic-populated area may have their kids watch each episodes so that they can be fluent with their peers.

The only distraction is when Swiper appears. This may confuse kids into thinking “______ no swiping!” will protect kids from thieves.

Adult Written byJordan sky April 26, 2019

Great!

My 8 yer at old son had Spanish classes and he was struggling and he started to watch Dora and he learned a lot and aced his class!

Adult Written byAshley R. March 8, 2019

Annoying

This is the one of the most annoying little kid shows on the planet Dora is absolutely annoying how she says come on vamanos and talks to little kids over and over again for directions get a GPS for good sakes