Parent reviews for Dora the Explorer

Preschoolers will love Dora's ongoing adventures.

Parent Written byMomma_2_3Boys January 31, 2013

Stickin up for kids

The bad reviews are pretty hilarious. Saying it's not educational, it teaches witchcraft? Really?! Come on people! It's DORA geez. Not SPONGEBOB! Complaining it makes your kid yell? They're INTERACTING. Complaining they jump up and down? Better than sitting in a trance! Showing "Scary trolls and monsters"? Really?! It teaches kids NOT to be afraid of those things because you can outSMART them! Kids love Dora, they grow out of watching it just like any other kid show. And for you ADULTS to say its boring, annoying, or CHILDISH???? Its for KIDS!!! GEEZ! Your kid will learn spanish wether they let you know the "english" word or not. Kids are SMART, they don't need explanation like you adults! ugh. the NERVE. I tell ya.

Educational Value
Parent of an infant and 2-year-old Written byshamrockgrl74 April 9, 2008
I will not let my 3 year old watch this show. There are much better educational shows on TV. Dora has horrible manners - Yelling, telling others what to do. SHe knows of Dora thru all the items in the stores. You can't get away from it, but she has never seen a show.
Parent of a 2-year-old Written byfaroffstar April 2, 2010

Cute, educational, can get annoying for parents though

My son loves this show. He really seems to "get into it" particularly when Swiper shows up. Also, he says "Hola" to say hello at times and calls his pet monkey, "El Mono" both of which he learned on Dora. He's only 2 years old.

My one true complaint is that they SHOUT everything and it kind of drives me nuts after awhile.

Adult Written byM H March 4, 2018

Unimaginative and poorly done

There's just nothing here worth watching. Repetitive with no real plot or creativity put into it. With the 1000 other kids shows out there, why waste your time on what is essentially a bland toy commercial.

Parent of a 9, 12, and 15-year-old Written byBOBRANCHERED June 25, 2019

THIS IS AMAZING FOR ALL AGES

All of my kids love this show to this day. I even love it! I still kind of force them to watch it so my friends don’t think I’m a loser but everyone in my household has to watch this daily!

Parent of a 2, 4, 8, and 10-year-old Written byrukiddingme December 29, 2008

Great educational show!!

I am here to defend Dora the Explorer. She is very educational. This show teaches problem solving, shapes, letters, numbers and some Spanish. If you do not live in a Hispanic populated area, you may be blind to see that learning Spanish is a great resource for children. If you think she is mean and yells at people or is into paganism, give me a break! I think that the cartoons we were all raised on, like Bugs Bunny, My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake were more violent and were more involved into paganism than Dora ever could live up to. I do think Dora is a great show and I do let my children watch it.
What harm could it do? Oh no! My child wants to make believe and she wants to be a princess or she might pick up some Spanish. The world is not going to end if you let your child watch Dora the Explorer.
Adult Written bykmoycallwood32 June 8, 2020

Dora The explorer Great review!!!

Its definetly for age 2 year olds and up! My 2 year old daughter loves Dora the explorer for her 2nd birthday!

Adult Written bybrianh3 October 30, 2015

Doesn't do any harm, but it barely teaches anything

Dora the Explorer came out way back when I was a child, and right now, I'm still wondering why it's still going. Not only is the show very boring to watch considering that it's repetitive and that every episode is basically the same, the show doesn't really teach much to kids. Yes they teach a bit of Spanish, but they use the same Spanish words over and over again. You might as well grab a Rosetta Stone and let your kid use that because he'll/she'll be learning Spanish about 100 times faster using that than watching Dora 24 hrs. a day. The characters also break the fourth wall in the show. They constantly talk to the audience to "tell them where that is" or "find this for us" or whatever you can think of. The answers to their questions are so obvious, that your kid just shouldn't answer back because it's just flat-out humiliating. So is this show for kids? Well if your child is at least 3, then no, it's not. Repetitive, boring, barely educational. There's better choices on TV for children people.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 9-year-old Written byMamaNikkiP August 17, 2010

BLAH

Dora is annoying, whiney and I am so sick of this show, honestly. It has been around for 10 yrs, kids really do enjoy the show and it is great for learning spanish words, but that is about it. All 3 of my kids liked this when younger, but it is a headache for parents!
Adult Written bycraftymom April 9, 2008

over-commercialized junk

this show stinks. the barrage of products that follows it baffle me, as the show has horribly lame stories (even for the youngest ages), and my 3-yr-old finds it boring. The talking-at-the-screen doesn't make my child respond, and the random espanol-dropping doesn't make this bad lip-synch animation educational--it is simply aimed to trick parents into believing it is. don't waste your "two hours or less per day" of viewing time on this unimaginative and boring show. Watch something with creativity, imagination, and great music, like the Backyardigans.
Adult Written byTeafotmylov June 23, 2021

Teaches how to follow instructions

I love Dora I sit with my 2 year old and interact with her. The show ask the child to do or say thing in the same manner A pre k teacher would ask. I think when watched with adult supervision the show is great at helping with getting your child ready for pre k. The show also helps with problems solving, teaching Spanish, counting, colors, and shapes. Once the child learns the basic skills neede for pre k I don’t think the show is helpful on a teaching level.

Adult Written byCristopherS February 12, 2021

Its honestly bad

Its assuming all kids are dumb and innocent. My daughter kept on screaming the answer and kept crying when it seemed like she didnt listen to her, stating, "She likes the stupid bluey thingy more it no fair." Oh and sometimes when I try to take her toy so i can put it away she says, "daddy no swippy." Which isn't even a word. Dont let your child watch this. You'll never sleep again, nor have an ok kid.
Adult Written byMichaela_tx August 26, 2020

Dora is a a positive Spanish-speaking model for younger kiddos

Dora speaks 2 languages just like my son! I love that there is a character that looks and speaks like him.

Before watching this show my husband would talk with my son in Spanish but only get English replies... since watching Dora my son has started to reply in Spanish!! I think that Dora has shown my son that bilingualism is cool, useful, something to be celebrated.

Parent of a 2, 8, and 12-year-old Written byCJ B. May 10, 2020

I wish this website would clean up the sarcastic reviews.

The show isn't great but it isn't demonic or anything stupid like that. My problem is the klepto fox. Also how it strays so far from reality it's not even entertaining. Go Diego Go is better.

Adult Written byJsjshshsh April 25, 2020
Adult Written bykatalina January 28, 2020

toddler loves it.

The show teaches compassion and empathy for others, different cultures, and animals. I like that it gets your child moving by stomping their feet or clapping their hands. Each episode encourages the viewer to problem solve by presenting solutions to choose from that involve math, such as shapes and numbers, or art like music and colors, while your child is none the wiser. The characters treat each other with kindness and respect, never speaking ill of each other or being violent, and help each other when in need (including the bad guy, Swiper, to recognize how swiping from others affects them). Not to mention, your child will pick up on Spanish, because the show includes the viewer by asking for your help from growing flowers to reuniting a baby bird with it's Mommy. However, you might catch your kid yelling while watching the show, because it does tell you to say whatever phrase they need help with ”Louder!” often, so one star off for that. That aside, I also like that it helps build memory by asking the viewer to remember the map order they need to travel by each episode.

I’ll be honest, I tried to hold off on my kid watching tv as long as possible, and especially Dora the Explorer (or any show that can be seen on the shelves of most toy isles) - but someone put the show on for her while baby sitting, and I gotta say it’s a great show.

The other bad reviews seem to be commenting on the movie, Dora The Explorer in the Lost City of Gold, which I’ll agree is geared towards a more mature audience. But the tv show is so good that my daughter now speaks in Spanish phrases interchangeably. For example, “Sientate perrito.” Or “Sit puppy.” And she’s 2 and half.

Not sure what the other bad reviews mean about paganism, I've yet to see that issue and we’re on Season 5 now.

Adult Written byChristianParentOf2 January 16, 2020

Good show, but Swiper may be scary for children under 8.

This is a model of what animation SHOULD be. No sexual content, no foul language, no drug use, nothing but wholesome entertainment the whole family can enjoy.

Swiper may be frightening for those under age 8, though, because he confronts Dora and tries to steal her stuff. He does learn his lesson. Plus, it's educational and teaches children Spanish.

Parent of a 3-year-old Written byTaliMelo June 4, 2019
Adult Written byquincy12 May 8, 2019

Perfect for teaching younger kids Spanish

Parents need to know that Dora means well and is teaching kids to be open with the Spanish language. Parents who live in a Hispanic-populated area may have their kids watch each episodes so that they can be fluent with their peers.

The only distraction is when Swiper appears. This may confuse kids into thinking “______ no swiping!” will protect kids from thieves.

Adult Written byJordan sky April 26, 2019

Great!

My 8 yer at old son had Spanish classes and he was struggling and he started to watch Dora and he learned a lot and aced his class!