Parent reviews for Elena of Avalor

Spunky Latina-inspired princess is an excellent role model.

Grandparent Written byKim F. June 1, 2017

Elena of Avalor is totally inappropriate for any age bracket

It saddens me to see that a perfectly good role model show can be filled with witchcraft, necromancy and spiritism. Even Elena has a spirit guide, celebrates day of the dead and uses witchcraft. This inadvertently teaches our children that this is okay and totally is not. The practice of any of these actions are wrong in every sense, moral and common. Not to mention how offensive to God. While the show seems cute and innocent with meshed lessons, it's subtly practicing evils. We have enough evil in this world than to showcase it under disguise of wholesomeness. I look forward to appropriate entertainment that teaches our kids in reality and not slapping a green light on shrouded black magic practices. Just saying, common sense says a big NO.
Adult Written byrebma97 July 24, 2016

Interesting series!

I've seen the first two episodes of the series and it's pretty good! The story plays out like a typical Disney princess story, but it's more diverse: Elena and the main characters in the story are Latinx. The series has positive messages about diversity and learning from your mistakes. Violence: Some scenes may scare kids. There are evil villains in a few episodes, and the premise of the story involved Elena's kingdom being threatened by an evil sorcerer.

Parent Written byLayla G. March 11, 2018

I won't let my child watch this anymore

Honestly, when i saw the commercials it looked fine, just another new Disney princess. But the other day my daughter was watching it and I started paying attention to it. It had sorcery and witchcraft and violence. It was overall just really creepy and gave me a bad feeling. I didn't get a good vibe from it and it's not something I feel comfortable letting my daughter watch anymore. It may be a cartoon but it didn't feel appropriate for young children to me.

Parent of an infant year old Written byHolly R. November 4, 2017

Had to update because of newer disturbing episodes

I was actually shocked to find a Disney Princess that is actually awesome and an actual Disney Princess (since Mulan isn't really a princess but somehow got counted). Now to address the Grandparent review whom noted the occult content there are way worse things to market to kids and none of this stuff is actually real. Ghosts, necromancy, witchcraft, etc... doesn't exist in reality (God does in my opinion) and the occult content in this series is culturally inspired by Latino myths mixed fictionalized animals and such. And Day of the Dead is a Latino holiday and not the same as Halloween. And there are some good things about the cartoon series as it does help kids who deal with the death of their loved ones and this can comfort little kids and reinforce the belief in heaven/afterlife and that good deeds are rewarded. Plus I just love those winged Jaquin cat things. Edit: I had to change the age range because of some newer episodes and disturbing content that I am going to list. They had some recent episodes that have the lady who murdered Elena's parents return and the show is hinting at Elena contemplating how to get revenge for her parents death against the murderer. The show has taken a pretty dark turn so I am giving it a older age range. It's still a good show but it's just gotten darker in story line.

Adult Written byK J April 1, 2018

Love watching this show with my daughter!

My daughter has never been one to be interested in princesses, but she loves watching this show. It’s certainly a welcome break from tradition in that Elena does not shy away from going on adventures and even when she finds herself in trouble, does not really come across as a helpless damsel in distress. I appreciate the focus on the familial and friendly ties. Yes, it contains elements of fantasy - magic among them, but we do not shy away from talking about the distinction between what is real and fantasy in such shows. My personal favorite of the shows she watches.

Adult Written by[email protected] July 20, 2018

Great values for little girls

To be honest, i didnt noticed the Latina part of the princess. Being from Latinamerica myself, i dont see this as a reflection of a culture or something like that. But i did notice the stories and their lessons. This is my daughter's favorite TV show, and i am glad she likes it! (PS: What is this "Latinx" stuff i see here? Spanish has gendered words, and "Latino" is the neutral, not "Latinx")

Adult Written byMDeemer August 15, 2018

Positive role model for girls

Elena, along with Moana, are the only Disney shows that I actually feel good about our 4 year old daughter watching. I love the emphasis on kindness, friendship, family, and mutual respect. Elena leads through example, frequently leads on adventures, and demonstrates courage and kindness. Her younger sister is also into science and the show makes clear early on that it isn't to pretend not to be smart. Best of all for young girls, at least in the first season, there is no romance or love interest, just Elena trying to learn and grow into a better person and leader.