Parent reviews for Escape the Night

Web celebs star in mediocre pseudo-reality horror series.

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byMichelle G. June 26, 2017

Like Clue? You might like this

Watching because my 13 year old wanted to. It's entertaining and is funny enough. We're only 3 episodes into the first season but I can say that it gets a bit better with each episode. WARNING- episode 3 opens with a VERY obvious sex scene, just because no nudity is shown does not make it any less inapropriate. This pissed me off because the rating shows no marks for sex so I made the mistake of letting my 10 year old watch with us. Luckily I had the remote in my hand.

Adult Written byEmily W. January 6, 2018

Good for Comedy and Jump Scares!

It's a fun show for teens and adults. Teens will see familiar faces and adults get to have fun with the story line. Since there is some swearing, children 13 or younger will be eager to use the new words they learned but this show is pure fun. There are also "deaths" in which the guests could go against each other in competition to see who comes back alive. I like that the guest, famous faces of YouTube, are not scripted, but the flashbacks and actors are! No one is actually killed, of course, but the guests all have fun on set and it can be seen in some scenes.

Adult Written byAmanda W. January 3, 2018

Meh, wouldn't watch twice.

They're YouTuber's :3, not actors, but I suppose that is the point. Some of the makeup and actoes brought in are awesome though. If you aren't hyper aware of all the characters (youtubers) it will probs my not be that great for you.

Adult Written byLydia B. May 31, 2018

Pretty intense, but also funny. Sort of a dark surrealist comedy.

I don't recommend this for younger audiences. It can get a bit intense. In the 3rd episode of the 1st season, which is set in the 1920s, it does open on a sorta sex scene. Granted they're mostly-clothed, but still. For those of you with claustrophobia, someone does also get buried alive in that same episode. Actually two do. In the 4th, there is a challenge where they have to play perverse games. There are also spirit boards, a seance, and an exorcism. In the seventh episode of the second season, in the Victorian Era, someone gets their heart ripped from their chest and they do briefly show the heart. Also there's some blood. I think it's more of the language and intensity of it all than the violence. The third season is coming up and it looks like it may be set in the 60s or 70s. I don't recommend this for anyone not in high school, but if they're in, maybe, late middle school, are able to handle this, and know that no one is actually dying in the show, then I think it'd be okay for them to watch. To be on the safe side, though, I would recommend watching it with them if they're not yet in high school. But there's a really cool twist with this show and that is that each season takes place in a different era. After episode 5 of season 2 came out, I actually was compelled to do a bit of theorizing and research on the Victorian Era season. I managed to figure out that episode seven had a steampunk theme. So in a way, there is some educational value because the show does touch on some aspects of the culture of the time period. Like in season 1, episode 9 deals with a former owner of the house who has hallucinations and how those were treated back then. Your kids might be compelled to theorize and analyze the show.

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byItsok2bu August 17, 2018

Awesome

Adult Written byJBradford July 21, 2018

A kitschy combination of reality competition and room-escape hijinks

"Escape the Night" is attempting to follow in the footsteps of predecessors like "Murder in Small Town X" and "Whodunnit?" Ostensibly a threadbare plot line is established and then a group of people (in this case YouTube stars) are thrown together to solve a series of puzzles and challenges, with one (or more) of them being eliminated (murdered) each episode until the finalists remain. Each of the existing three seasons takes place in a different era (the 1920's, 1800s and 1970's) with each YouTube star being assigned a "character" such as "The Disco Dancer" or "The Saloon Girl". However they aren't really playing characters so much as dressing up the way you would when attending a murder mystery party at your friend's house. They pay minimal lip service to these roles and for the most part simply behave as themselves. Things get a little confusing because none of the participants in this show have any actual stakes. They are not competing for prizes or money, so there's a lot less riding on whether or not they "survive" each episode. It's also fairly arbitrary as to who is going to die and when. The narrative is set up to eliminate someone with each episode, yet this is usually determined by group vote, and because no one is particularly vital or special to the progression of the pre-determined plot, how you react to these "deaths" depends mostly on how much you like the personality of the YouTuber who dies. The show has lavish and fairly spectacular set pieces, costumes and special effects, but they don't make up for the somewhat lackluster elements. The end result is a mishmash that is often not very coherent and feels like the producers are making it up as they go along, but it's pleasant enough a distraction. The sexual elements are usually minimal. There is no nudity, though women characters are often shown in very skimpy outfits, lingerie or at times prosthetic pieces that only cover their nipples (such as the mermaids in season one.) There are several scenes depicting orgies that amount to little more than coupled pairs engaged in heavy petting. The violence is actually fairly extreme in the sense that many, many characters are killed. There are shootings, stabbings, slit throats, poisonings and more creative deaths. Often the camera cuts away at the point of actual violence, but the bloody aftermath is always shown. Profanity usually stops short of the "f word". A good element of the show is the diversity of that cast, both actors and YouTubers. Though most are under the age of 30, they incorporate men, women, LGBTQIA individuals, people of many different races and transgender people without much comment. They are simply there as a matter of fact, which is the way it should be. Whether or not the behavior of their 'characters' makes for good role models is subjective. They are often put in positions of having to choose among them who must die, and as such they face a moral quandary, but often this is reduced to little more than whom they found the most annoying in the day's events.