Parent reviews for Escape the Night

Escape the Night Poster Image

The Best and Most appropriate show I've seen out there

Anyone can watch so good My 4 year old loves this show.

It's for 14 year olds!

It has once sence that has sex on it its very sexual well kind of it has flirting and a woman who spider but shes dressed sexy lots of volience.

For 12 year old's Plus!

Younger children can be sensitive to this can cause nightmares. Depends on parents' average of cursing one sense, of $eX but some of it is flirty Probably not for the kids under 10 or 11?.

Most of the people leaving reviews here do not seem to understand this show, please read this.

It seems that most or all of the reviews I have seen left by adults on this forum for this show are misinformed on this show. First of all: it is not scripted. Yes, the plot is written in and there are beginning scenes, certain deaths, and fights between the background characters, that are set up and scripted. The creator, Joey Graceffa, has been very open about which parts and which deaths are pre set up/scripted. However, the main portions of the show are genuine and the youtubers are actually completing the challenges. The actors on set working around them are always in character, even while the cameras are off, to give the youtubers the most submerging experience possible. The fights that break out between characters outside of the youtube cast happen in real time, along with the plot twists, and the youtubers are not informed beforehand, so their reactions to them are genuine. The deaths are not preplanned either, after a death challenge is completed they cut the cameras and then set up the part where the loser is killed. Everything is happening in real time so the jump scares, puzzle solving, and eliminations are all real. The producers communicate via headset with the background characters to let then know how to respond to the youtubers choices and actions. However, the youtubers are playing into the plot and pretending that their friends are really going to die and that the plot is really happening in order to help make the show come to life and be more than just a normal escape room set up. So basically it’s an intense and large scale game of make believe with a very intricate set and escape room challenges. When I first started watching the show I did not understand this, I couldn’t tell if it was meant to be real or not and I just thought it was weird and cringey. After I understood what was actually happening I realized the point of the show is to watch people be challenged and get immersed into the game they are in and playing in to the make believe universe. It isn’t meant to be taken seriously as complete reality or as completely fictional, it is something else entirely. Once you understand it for what it is and realize that the show is just meant to be good fun, it is really fun to watch. I also see that this website shows there being “no sex” in the show. There is most definitely sexual content. However, if your kid doesn’t know what sex is and can’t handle watching this show by the time they are 14, they are probably way too sheltered and that is not going to help them in the long run. Not every single show your kid watches needs to have some sort of lesson or role model, some entertainment is meant to be just that: entertainment. To parents I would say; give this show a chance. It isn’t meant to be serious or complete fiction, it’s its own new thing and it’s just meant to be fun.

Good show with great effects, doesn't lay off on the violence

Around season one this show feels fine, then around seasons two or three the violence in this movie becomes 4/5. The body count of season three alone is uncountable. Frequent deaths, stabbings, and even rude sexual jokes that most young teens wont get. Much better for older kids.

fake orgy with mannequins?!

Overall the show is what I expected when my tween daughter brought it to me. fake "reality" show with lots of drama. The language seemed a bit much but I don't find that to be a huge deal. Then my daughter got to Season 1 Episode 4 and came to me asking if I would watch ahead of where she was because there seemed to be some iffy stuff. Since I had already looked it up on here, I told her I was sure it was no big deal, but she insisted. I'm glad she did because a male and female character are locked in a room with provocatively dressed mannequins (still, no big deal, we walk by victoria's secret at the mall.) To some mannequins are in sexual positions with other mannequins. To get the next clues the characters have to play spin the bottle with mannequins and make out with them. Another character has to pretend like he is having sex with a female mannequin from behind, and lastly, one character has to participate in an "orgy" with two mannequin set up in sexual positions on the bed. So my daughter just skipped that episode. Even though the actions aren't between real people, it does bring up VERY adult sexual topics that I would have preferred to know about before letting my kid watch.

Good show

Great and intense series watched every season about every tume 3 times

Good Lesson

This show is good to watch, just make sure you are watching with any of your kids 10 and under.

Awesome

A kitschy combination of reality competition and room-escape hijinks

"Escape the Night" is attempting to follow in the footsteps of predecessors like "Murder in Small Town X" and "Whodunnit?" Ostensibly a threadbare plot line is established and then a group of people (in this case YouTube stars) are thrown together to solve a series of puzzles and challenges, with one (or more) of them being eliminated (murdered) each episode until the finalists remain. Each of the existing three seasons takes place in a different era (the 1920's, 1800s and 1970's) with each YouTube star being assigned a "character" such as "The Disco Dancer" or "The Saloon Girl". However they aren't really playing characters so much as dressing up the way you would when attending a murder mystery party at your friend's house. They pay minimal lip service to these roles and for the most part simply behave as themselves. Things get a little confusing because none of the participants in this show have any actual stakes. They are not competing for prizes or money, so there's a lot less riding on whether or not they "survive" each episode. It's also fairly arbitrary as to who is going to die and when. The narrative is set up to eliminate someone with each episode, yet this is usually determined by group vote, and because no one is particularly vital or special to the progression of the pre-determined plot, how you react to these "deaths" depends mostly on how much you like the personality of the YouTuber who dies. The show has lavish and fairly spectacular set pieces, costumes and special effects, but they don't make up for the somewhat lackluster elements. The end result is a mishmash that is often not very coherent and feels like the producers are making it up as they go along, but it's pleasant enough a distraction. The sexual elements are usually minimal. There is no nudity, though women characters are often shown in very skimpy outfits, lingerie or at times prosthetic pieces that only cover their nipples (such as the mermaids in season one.) There are several scenes depicting orgies that amount to little more than coupled pairs engaged in heavy petting. The violence is actually fairly extreme in the sense that many, many characters are killed. There are shootings, stabbings, slit throats, poisonings and more creative deaths. Often the camera cuts away at the point of actual violence, but the bloody aftermath is always shown. Profanity usually stops short of the "f word". A good element of the show is the diversity of that cast, both actors and YouTubers. Though most are under the age of 30, they incorporate men, women, LGBTQIA individuals, people of many different races and transgender people without much comment. They are simply there as a matter of fact, which is the way it should be. Whether or not the behavior of their 'characters' makes for good role models is subjective. They are often put in positions of having to choose among them who must die, and as such they face a moral quandary, but often this is reduced to little more than whom they found the most annoying in the day's events.