Parent reviews for Family Reunion

Family Reunion Poster Image

Great Show, but watch with your child.

I like the show it’s very diverse, some of the shows can be a bit mature so it’s important to watch with your child. If your a parent whose not ready to introduce your child to homosexuality, in the newest season episode 2 there is a family member who is gay (two men). If your not ready to have that conversation with your child i’d skip the episode. At times, i feel as though there’s a bit too much singing. Overall it’s a nice show.

Not family values

Child punished with Belt!! Absolutely inappropriate in 2020! Under the guise of “Christian values” drinking, inappropriate sexual discussions, no job but buying Nordstrom plot lines. Not for my kids!
1 person found this helpful.

Well, really — how do you get to 10+ on this one?

The use of the word “butt” — ? A granny who threatens to use a belt — ? I mean, have you SEEN Captain Underpants and the bullying in those series and what about the endless glorification of the violence in the superhero movies? But we can’t talk about how many of us were raised with the spectre of capital punishment over our heads? As a mom of African-american children STARVED in popular culture for any references to civil rights history and modern race relationships — this program is a treasure. How about we get some diversity in these reviews, Common Sense Media. Jeez.

Not Christian

Thought it might be good but when it said that Baháʼu'lláh was a prophet and that Jesus was a prophet and the pastors wife look silly for not considering Baháʼu'lláh I switched it off - It also suggested other new age people to read. Season 1

Mostly Just Fine

We like the show. We are a moderate to conservative family, meaning that we want "family" shows to be entertaining and void of content that I have to cover eyes or blush at seeing and hearing. This show hit the mark until season 4. I'm not afraid of belts and spankings...I don't endorse it, but I have seen some children who will only conform when the consequences are big enough. When time out, loving lectures, redirecting and taking privileges fail, a brief session may succeed. Also, no one actually got a spanking....but I digress. My issue is that family shows should be content that you don't need to explain, or fear that a topic will be broached that you have not yet introduced. The other option is to flag the episode, language, violence, sexuality, nudity etc. And let people make the decision to proceed or not. The show is good, but those who watch are diverse and some of us want to make an informed decision on what to allow into our homes for entertainment.

great

great show for every single age or kid you have best show i know of

Mildly Mediocre Family Sitcom with a Southern twist

This is a great show for anyone who likes cliche filled sitcoms with the same messages. While the Black struggle is brought up often in this, it shares the same overall messages and themes as the normal sitcoms and Disney channel-like family shows. But this is amazing if it's up your alley! I do enjoy watching this myself for some mild laughter.

Not meta enough

Even though the programme addresses racism in various ways (e.g. in a beauty pageant, and with an episode about police abusing their power), it does not address the racism underlying southern black culture itself. E.g. corporal punishment and the parallels with slaves being beaten. Or Christianity that was forced upon slaves, while their own religions or spiritual and cultural traditions were destroyed. The focus on religion is depicted as a good thing in the programme, and I have to ask, who does it benefit? Is it really the black community? Or is it those who continue to oppress them? It's cheesy comedy too, which is OK if that's what you like. But I wouldn't bother watching it just for the jokes.

Family Reunion is the Best!!

My kids LOVED this show! I have a 12 year old and a 9 year old, and they both are having a blast with this show! I think it's really important for children in this day in age to watch shows like this. This show has really opened my kids's eyes, and they are a lot more respectful, because of it. I recommend this show for your children!!

its a great show