Parent reviews for Final Space

Final Space Poster Image

One of my favourite shows

Excellent adult action cartoon cancelled way too soon

This show was completely out of place on TBS, a network that usually shows repeats of network sitcoms. It would've made way more sense to show this on Toonami, yet the show never aired there, even when the last season had its premieres Saturday nights on Adult Swim. What's this show about? Well, it's set an unspecified amount of time in the future where humans have made contact with aliens around the galaxy and can travel from planet to planet. The starting point for this show is that the protagonist, Gary Goodspeed, is finishing up a five year prison sentence aboard a spaceship, with only an AI named HUE and an annoying robot named KVN for company. Then Gary finds and befriends a little green alien whom he affectionately calls Mooncake. Then an incredibly badass cat-like alien named Avocato comes aboard the ship, warning Gary of an evil despot known simply as Lord Commander, who wants to capture Mooncake and use his power to his own ends. Gary refuses to let go of Mooncake, so the two team up to try to stop Lord Commander. If that description made this show sound cliche, well, that's because this show is the adult equivalent of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Unlike Avatar though, this show isn't drawn anime style; it looks more like Family Guy or Rick and Morty. But what the two shows have in common is that they take the "Hero's Journey" plot type and many of its associated tropes and makes them feel fresh through great execution, namely memorable and complex characters, surprising plot twists and character revelations, suspenseful and intense fight scenes, and stunning animation. This is a good example of a TV-14 show. While language and suggestive humor are on a TV-PG level, the violence can often involve moderate blood, including some bloody deaths. I'd give this show a 12+ if it wasn't for one particular scene in the second episode though. Overall, I give this show a strong recommendation for teens and adults, particularly if they like sci-fi and/or action cartoons.

Dont Listen to Joyce. She has no idea what she's talking about

Dont get me wrong, it has violence and gore. But that's not the main theme here. Sure, those who have watched the show have seen Gary's arm get ripped off in Season 1 episode 2. And there are major deaths in the show, but it's for the plot. I saw a few reviews saying it's like a "wannabe Futurama" or "Rick and Morty." Yes there are similarities because IT'S SCI-FI! Yes, Gary swears a bit, but it's mild and you understand why he does it when you see more of his backstory in the season 2 episode titled "The Notorious Mrs. Goodspeed." And it is noticed that Avocato only says "hell" and nothing else when it comes to cursing. He has standards as a dad. The messages the show has are amazing and so are the tropes. Dealing with loss. Fight for your home. Fight for your family. Face the actions of your consequences. Found family. All amazing. Sure some of the jokes dont land, but jokes dont always land in real life. It can be noted that this show is serialized instead episodic, giving it a real story and that some things are not undone, i.e. Gary's (left) arm staying robotic for the rest of the show (season 1, episode 2- Season 3, episode 13. Yes, I have indeed watched the third season and it is stunning. Well worth the nearly 2 year wait). We can't forget the star studded cast! Legendary comedian Olan Rogers voices Gary and Tribore as well as being the show's creator! I recommend looking up his youtube channel as there are easter eggs in the show if you look hard enough. Amazing actor Coty Galloway is the voice behind the grumpy, deadly but fluffy Ventrexian bounty hunter(and dad) Avocato. It is known in the fanbase that Olan and Coty are best friends and it's only fitting that Gary and Avocato have one of the strongest relationships in the show. It's the bromance of the century Next up is the awesome and well known Tika Sumpter for the voice of Quinn Ergon/ Nightfall. Quinn isn't just the woman that Gary has been in love with for the past 5 years, but she's actually the hero of the story instead of Gary. She's smart, cool under pressure and has a level head. No wonder why her and Avocato constantly butted heads in season 1! Who else but Tom Kenny to voice HUE! Though he is known for voicing SpongeBob and Ice King, he really brings this lovable AI to life in all three seasons! We also have Steven Yeun! From The Walking Dead, Voltron, Invincible and Tuca and Bertie, Steven Yeun voices the crew's youngest member Little Cato (Avocato's son). Little Cato is resilient and has so much optimism! The team's very own tech wiz and hype man, Little Cato has to be the show's best character! Cant forget Fred Armison. He voices the somehow still alive KVN, Gary's Insanity Avoidance Companion who claims to be Gary's best friend (despite Gary's constant protest). I have lost count how many times KVN has been shoved by Gary or someone else. And we have one more underrated character voiced by someone so legendary. Ron Pearlman voices none other than Gary's father, John Goodspeed. John is the loving , supportive father who would do anything to keep his son safe and happy. John is only in a few episodes in the show, but every time I see him in an episode I cant help but think how amazing of a character he is. Ron Pearlman does an amazing job portraying John and I hope we see more. Not at all last in the cast but there are so many characters who deserve attention and I cant write this forever, but the last Voice Actor and character I will speak about is the season 1 villain, The Lord Commander, aka Jack. He is played by the 10th doctor himself, David Tenant! David has real talent for acting and it's impossible to ignore. He is the perfect voice for this pint sized villain. This tiny space tyrant is after Mooncake for reasons that were unknown in the beginning of the first season, but it becomes clear later on. Dont let his size fool you, The Lord Commander isn't someone to take lightly and David makes sure you can hear it through his voice. If you made it all the way through this review, Im impressed! Now, I hope the violence doesn't scare anyone off because this story is one heck of an emotional rollercoaster and worth the watch. It keeps getting better with every episode and season.

Best cartoon series I've seen in ages!

This show is really funny to me, the goofy sense of humor is at times genius. Plus moon cake is really cute. I agree it's quite violent though, but it's all animated and doesn't pose to be overly disturbing (at least I didn't think so). Gary (main character) to me is a character who despite having a tendency towards bad language, has a good moral compass - he cares for his friends, looks out for others.. and so on. This show also has Gwen - who I think is a good character and not only because she brings diversity to the show, but also because she is a fairly well written bad ass female character in a cartoon. Overall I don't think this show should be dismissed as a trashy cartoon, that's not to say it isn't, however for people with time to kill who like cartoons and goofy humor I would highly recommend.

Cannot recommend highly enough.

What constitutes as great TV is very personal. I have watched every episode over and over with my daughter (since she was 4). Final Space isn't recommended for small children, however, if like my daughter, they are well rounded, aware of the complexity of emotions and have a cracking sense of humour, they will love it. This program covers life, death, love, evil and heroism with sophistication, feeling and above all, hilarity. Be prepared to laugh, cry, gasp and laugh some more!!

woooooooow

to other reviews please follow my idea... the thing with a show is not alsways about critisism, it's about merge with the show, enjoy it... and despite all the "it's a copy/paste of Futurama Show" i say, stop thinking please and just enjoy you have a great idea transformed into a great animation here. Relax, pick up some pop corns and enjoy, you deserve it and it's so good that you'll laugh, scream, and cry at the same time, and all of that with a animated show, bluffing right?

Fantastic and Funny

Great show for parents and kids to watch together. It has fantasy violence, characters exploding and the like. It also has quite a bit of mild bad language; crap is about as bad as it gets though. It’s all very light and good humoured fun. Highly recommend it!

If you liked Futurama, you'll love this!

Final Space is a combination of Futurama and Rick and Morty, but it has its own charm. This sci-fi series is full of cheesy but funny jokes, sassy robots and a planet destroying alien, oh and and a whole lot of butt kicking. There are some sexual innuendos in this series and some mature language, but it's nowhere near as vulgar as Rick and Morty. There is some representation of poc and a few strong female characters, so that's definitely a plus.

Excellent Show , Reviewer Joyce S should not really be doing this job...

It starts off bumpy but this show and the characters really grow on you. You cannot approach the shows characters like you would any show set in the current period. Its adult themed but I dont see any gratuitous anything going on and it has some great themes and messages for kids. Seems like the reviewers main problem with the show is too many white guys... "Women and people of color have central roles, but most of the characters are still white guys." How is that relevant especially since its not true. Reviewer is mentally ill.