All parent member reviews for Firefly

Parent of a 6 year old Written byrachel4missions April 9, 2008

Great Series-- But watch it first and keep the fast forward button handy

This is an amazing series. All the characters are so well-developed it's hard to pick a favorite, and you care about each one after just a few episodes. However, I would not recommend letting your kids watch this with you the first time. I think this is a show best watched with Mom or Dad fastforwarding past a few of the most iffy parts and discussing the show with their kids. Be aware they do 'make up' Bible verses, but it always seems to be the 'bad guys' that do it.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byUnsung Paladin June 26, 2013

West meets... Space?

This show is amazing as far as entertainment value goes but does have negative things parents should be aware of too. There is a lot of sexual material including actual sex scenes (though no nudity is shown) as well as one of the main characters is a prostitute or companion in the show's lingo.
Adult Written bybookwormforever September 23, 2011

Awesome show, but not 100% perfect

I think that this is a great show for both boys and girls, though it will probably appeal primarily to boys. The show is basically centered around a crew of space cowboys. There are strong female and male characters. There is the occasional reference to sex (one character is actually a high level "prostitute", but it is handled very classily). One character occasionally swears, but rampant bad language is not present. There are many adventures that the characters go on and a few could certainly spark a disscussion about whether stealing is ever justified. There is a married couple who are very faithful to each other and another young man courts another girl and respects her and her body, rather than trying to sleep. Overall, the issues (language, ect) are much less of an issue than most recent movies and shows. I highly recommend it!
Adult Written by777regina April 13, 2014

I think this TV series is over rated

Though the show was more demonstrative of team work and democracy than for example a Star Trek series, but the weak "positive messages" versus the more so dominating violence etc I would not think it appropriate for children. From a personal opinion I also just don't believe we need another message "glorifying" prostitution instead of teaching our young people the real face of the prostitution and pimp and Human trafficking for sex culture. Our culture will be one of the last to accept the Nordic Model as it does not seem to promote understanding the connection between promoting misogyny and violating of human rights.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLisette's Mom July 5, 2013

Thrilling Adventure for 16 and Up

Love this show, but given the subplot with the vicious, zombie-like Reevers, and the treatment of prostitutes as socially elite, quasi-spiritual players in this society, I think 16 at the youngest.
Adult Written byFighter_07 May 4, 2015

Great sci fi action, but watch out for some questionable content

Firefly is a drama that mixes science fiction and western. There is plenty of action to hold anyone's attention. Though it is a well written show, heavy subject matters like prostitution, course drinking, swearing, gun use, and one occasional lesbian themed episode might concern some parents. The raunchy subject matter isn't thrown right at you and is spaced out enough, plus I pay more attention to the action and to the family themed relationships between the characters. Zoey and Wash do have sex, but explain to your children that they're married. The best upside to this show is how the crew learns to live together and love each other as a family, and the sci-fi action is sure to entertain older teens and adults. Wouldn't recommend it for younger viewers
Parent Written byGhostwheel January 23, 2013

Thought provoking, if you're of a mind.

I love this show. I sat and watched it with my children when they were 11 and 13. Some of it was hard to explain to them, but it helped me understand why I like it so much. Set in the future with a frontier flavor, most everything about this show bucks the standards of today. A "Companion" (call-girl, if you will) is an honorable profession. Why not? It's an honest profession. The ship mechanic is a woman, who is played as naive, and yet she can make an engine sing. Don't judge a book by it's cover. The second in command is also a woman, one who looks like she blindly follows her captain. But her loyalty is based on a trust between herself and the captain: they have faced death together and would willingly die for each other. The "bad boy" is just a guy who doesn't get it. He doesn't understand loyalty, people taking care of each other is a foreign concept, but when he messes up, he doesn't want people to think badly of him. Just a like a little boy. The captain has a code, his code. Whether we agree with him or not, you have to respect that he does what he thinks is correct for the situation.The doctor would give everything he has and is to protect his sister. His sister has been experimented on my the government. The Government is portrayed as uncaring about the little people who are not willing to settle for handouts, but want to earn their way. The Firefly crew are portrayed as people wanting to earn their own way, but the government has made that difficult at best. Add in deadpan one liners, great acting, fabulous scripts and story lines and a crew with loyalty that drips off the screen and you have excellent viewing and hours of conversation starters. This show is full of cultural parallels, divergence and anomalies and is an incredible springboard for endless conversations with your children, assuming you don't mind dealing with some of the hard stuff. I do caution that there are a few episodes that deal with sex as a profession and one with torture that I think goes over the top, and you might have a bit of a time explaining the Chinese cursing. For that I caution that parents watch first, then watch with anyone under 16.
Adult Written byluffy900 August 6, 2009

Firefly great for mature audiences

This is such an amazing show, filled with action in space, gun battles, conspiracy, it's an amazing show, the only problem is that one of the crew members (Inara) is a registered prostitute and some sex scenes are show (one with another woman), though nothing explicit is shown, it's still unnecessary, but I highly recommend this show if you love sci-fi and if you love westerns, this is your show.
Adult Written byPax241 April 9, 2008

Off the air...bummer.

Best Sci-Fi series in a long time. You will like it.