All parent member reviews for Friday Night Lights

Adult Written byIngrid922 April 9, 2008

Parent of a 7, 11, and 14 year old Written bymorgancharles April 5, 2011

I am an east coast liberal, and my first take on this show was negative--- too southern, too football, too Christian-phony. But somehow it was also compelling. So I watched another episode, then another. And the characters grew on me, and the show deepened (in my mind), and I fell in love with it, and I could not wait to see the next episode and the next episode. I watched all 20 of the first year episodes within a week. And I am going to try to have my wife and teenage daughter watch it too. Alas, because of the fact that some of these highschoolers are having sex, I do not want my 11 year old, let alone my 7 year old to watch it. But if there were not sex scenes, I would have them watch it-- there is other mature content, and some swearing, but nothing my 7 year old could not handle. But I am a bit prudish about the the sex. If you have teenagers (even 13 year olds), I would highly recommend that you watch this together, as a family, and all the way through. The role models are absolutely excellent.
Adult Written byhotcat April 9, 2008

I Don't Like It!

I would rather watch ER!
Educator Written byLJ09 April 10, 2009

Love it!

Great football action with hard hitting drama! Real life teen issues such as getting into college, relationships and the pressure to win that the players and coaches experience. Yes, it does contain sex and underage drinking but reality is that a large percentage of teens ARE having sex and drinking. I also like the way it also includes storylines about adults, the pressure they feel and how they deal with it. Due to content, I would advise an audience of high school age and up.
Adult Written byyuri13 October 18, 2014

Adult Written bycadiomals February 9, 2012

You don't have to like football to enjoy this show

My first impression of this show wasn't great. Since I'm not big on football I obviously wasn't very into the football theme. Being a northerner I wasn't exactly big on the characters' southern mannerisms either. But this first impression changed quite quickly when I watched more episodes and discovered there was much more than just football here. There are deeper themes and story-lines and the characters are very real and really grow on you. As for the kids, there is plenty of inappropriate behavior such as drinking, sex, swearing, etc. so I wouldn't recommend it for kids younger than 13. Despite this there are still a lot of positive messages and good role models to be found. Overall, even though I still don't like football and don't much care for football players, this is an exceptional show that I think a lot of people would like.
Educator and Parent of a 9, 13, and 16 year old Written byEmily Esch June 28, 2011

Conversation-starters for families abound

My husband summed it up best: "I don't like Texas, football, or teenagers, but I love this show." There's definitely sex, drinking, and lots of bad decision-making but the show goes to great lengths to show the consequences of the characters' choices. It's absolutely rife with conversation starters for families, and younger teens will need parents' help processing some of the heavier story lines.
Adult Written bySpartyon June 17, 2011

Friday Night Lights is Touchdown & a Winner

I have been a fan since the series began haven't miss a lot of EP's I own every season on DVD. I read the book & movie as well both pretty good as well worth reading and seeing the movie as well. FNL has a positive messages & good role models as well. As for sexual stuff it is no worse than any other show which I don't mind I'm not a prude like some are which there wrong and there isn't much swearing in the show either. Glad that NBC made a deal to keep FNL on for 5 seasons with the last three seasons making a deal with Direct TV to keep it on the air for that I'm thankful. FNL is a family show.
Parent of a 6, 11, and 13 year old Written byj1ferris April 9, 2008

I love the show but parents be warned

Our family as a whole eagerly anticipated this show. Initially, we found it to be a time when our family sat down to enjoy the show together, but that soon changed. The show began to push the edge a bit in terms of the sexual boundaries I feel are appropriate for a show aimed at families. Our 12 year old is so disappointed because we must now record and screen it before deciding whether he can watch it. This show would be fine for older teens(17 or so)and adults as it is a great show, but it is definitely not a "FAMILY" show.
Adult Written bychamonix April 9, 2008

Not as benign as it sounds

I watched part of an episode and was shocked to see "teenagers" getting undressed/dressed and into and out of bed. Some would say don't be such a prude, but I would be very uncomfortable watching this kind of material with my teenage son (14 yrs old now). The moral dilemma these characters spoke of during this episode was about how they were cheating on their best friend instead of the fact they had just had pre-marital sex. That's not the message I want to pass on to my kids, no matter how old they are.