Parent reviews for Fullmetal Alchemist

Plot-heavy sci-fi anime can get quite violent.

Adult Written byKaren M. February 7, 2018

I love this series so much!

A series of moral ambiguity, nothing is black and white, the heroes and villains alike are incredibly complex, and while the plot is nothing spectacular, it works fantastically with the type of character-driven narrative it has in store. Speaks volumes on accepting other races, and over looking and embracing other people's differences. Great challenging of the concept of what makes humans human. Definitely recommend.

Adult Written byAkiraKing1408 February 21, 2019

SO AWESOME!!

Very good anime. While Lust dresses a bit more showy, she is the only one. It is violent, but less than other animes. Though this anime isn't as good as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, you should watch this first.

Adult Written byGeorgia P. April 14, 2018

My 2 Cents

This is one of the most famous and popular animes of all time. It is also one of the most reconmended shows I have seen. It is for a more mature audience, but it’s not that complicated of a show. They literally explain the basics before each episode begins which is creating life is a taboo— human transmutation is bad. That’s it. Not that complicated. It is a complex world, however, with a great diverse cast of characters that you come to love throughout the series. Violence is to be expected, the main character, Ed, is in the military. Both Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (follows the manga (comic)) are great in their own ways and are a must see anime for children, teens, and adults (I would say a 10 year old could handle the content, but it probably depends more on the parent than the child).

Adult Written byE H. August 30, 2016

Meaning of life

Fullmetal Alchemist, (not to be confused with the storyline of the manga) is a series that asks what it means to be human. Edward Elric and his brother Alphonse use alchemy to attempt to restore their mother to life. Unsuccessful, they pay for their "sin" by Ed losing his arm and leg and Al becoming only a soul attached to a suit of armor. However, they do not give up, and Ed joins the military to research alchemy to find a way to restore their bodies to how they are before. On they way, they encounter the homunculi, a group that are not human who are personifications of the seven deadly sins. These homunculi are different in many ways from humans and wrestle with their apparent physical advantages versus their moral deficits. This series brings up questions about whether it is alright to create life through artificial means, is life sacred, and what makes someone human.
Pros: self-sacrifice, perseverance, brotherly love, recognizing one's own mistakes, and humility.
Cons: swearing, violence and blood, character deaths, some lack of respect for superiors, and flirting.
Summary: This is a great show with superb anime animation that tries to answer questions everyone asks about life. In this way, the story goes much deeper than most TV shows. A quote that summarizes it is, "Teachings that do not speak of pain have no meaning...Because humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return." Because it is an anime, it also can quickly switch between slapstick humor and serious scenes, it takes a little to get used to because this doesn't happen so much in Western media, but you can get used to it. The show is from an Eastern viewpoint, rather than a Christianity-influenced view.

Adult Written byjacob a November 8, 2015

AMAZING SERIES!

There I Some Violence, Some Language, And Some Drinking. BUT IT IS RATED TV-PG! IT EVEN SAYS IT ON THE DVD!
Adult Written byBig-Brother June 22, 2015

Fullmetal Alchemist is a great anime for teens and adults alike. but you may want watch it before you let your kids under 13 watch it.

Do not let the TV-PG rating fool you most of the episodes are rated TV-14.

Episodes 1-13 and a few other episodes not throughout the series are safe for thirteen years old and up, but is iffy for 12 years and under.

My Rating 13+ or 11+ with parental guidance if your child is under 11 watch it first.

Parent of a 13, 15, and 16-year-old Written byNervousParentOf3Boys April 4, 2015
When my 16 year old was little he watched. It's not really that bad, just has gory scenes... it's not really my type of anime I don't care if he watches my other 2 boys watch anime with him. I just want them to be the best when they grow up.

Adult Written bybarneyhater December 15, 2014

BEST SHOW

MY KIDS REALLY LOVE IT IT GETS ME A FEW LAUGHS

Adult Written byLuna2211cats November 30, 2014
Although this anime is AMAZING! It is not as amazing as its 2009 counterpart, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which is more true to the source material. Parents need to be aware of the violence in this series as well as some sexual references, including a character named "Lust." There are also some themes of this show that younger children will not understand, as well as some they will not be able to handle. Including themes of war, loss, grieving, sacrifice, pain, ambition for something others believe is bad, and calling others "dogs."
Parents must also be aware that the main character swears a A LOT including calling his father a "bastard" for leaving and calling his commanding officer that as well.
Parents should also know that the main character has a job as a "human weapon" in the military, which he obtains at the age of 12, and continues until he is killed by his half-brother at the age of 16. Then being sent to World War II and befriending a boy who resembles his brother in the movie sequel. This boy, who is 17, has lung cancer, and is shot and killed at the end of the movie sequel along with the main character's father.
This show is most definitely too intense for young children as many loved characters and good people are killed in gruesome ways.

Parent of a 1-year-old Written byEnclav3 August 26, 2013

definitely not for kids less than 13

i found the show to be quite good. it is a little difficult to follow as you need to quickly learn the rules of the world in this show. ultimately it is fairly quick to move the story along as there are only 51 episodes (63 for the Brotherhood version) and it is not very light. the show deals with many political and societal issues mixed with the problems of owning to one's mistakes.

i found it to be intriguing as i loved the similarities between our world and theirs with only a few major differences which also get explained later. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and recommend it to people who enjoy anime and want something that doesn't cater to a younger audience. (no, there's no sex, and only mild swearing) Simply be prepared for the violence and some disturbing subject matter should you watch this show.

i know many people who have watched the show at a younger age ~14 years old but they didn't quite understand everything that went on, they just like it for the action and the occasional jokes. in order to fully appreciate this show, it is strongly advised that you watch it at an older age, or if you are younger and watch it, i highly suggest re-watching it at an older age and see what you didn't see before.
Adult Written bysoul_reaper June 22, 2012

Great anime series

Regardless of the violent scenes, this is a great anime for kids 10 & up.
I have no interest in saying anything bad about this anime.

Adult Written byichigo1229 November 30, 2011

It Would be eductional for a 12 year or older to watch it!

This is by far the best animated cartoon that i ever seen. It also may countain adult material so i would let my children watch if i was a parent but it also would enlight he/she. Hiromu Arakawa takes us on journey to humanity and enlightment. Drama, Sci-Fi, Action-Adventure, Military as well as Comedy.
Parent of a 7 and 10-year-old Written bySmurfette711 November 27, 2011

Complicated plot, some objectionable content.

My oldest who is 11 liked Naruto and finished the entire series. He told me he started watching this show and I was alarmed. I have seen it myself and knew it was not for my kids just yet. Maybe in a couple of years. Some content is objectionable and the plot is complicated.

Adult Written by11BK201 April 9, 2011

A great series for older kids and teens

I will start by saying this is my favorite anime series!

There is some mild language, violence and subject matter so it is better for teens and older. The language consists of words like d*mn, h*ll, and b*stard. There is a lot of violence but none of it is very gory. The worst is in the first episode where the main character is shown missing an arm and leg after trying to resurrect his deceased mother. The subject matter includes things like a psychopathic serial killer, resurrecting the dead, and losing family members. In general the antagonists are very dark and tend to hang out in dark, oppressive places. One of the main villains wears a low cut dress and is rather busty. However, the story never goes anywhere inappropriate.

The strong point of the series is the characters, story and creativity. The relationship between the two main brothers is really inspiring. While watching this series I learned the importance of valuing and protecting my relationship with my brother. The story is a great mystery that really drawing the viewers in. The story also opened me up to new ways of thinking and telling stories.

In the end, this is an incredible series with many good points. However, I would not recommend it for sensitive, younger kids because of the subject matter and violence.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written bypaulhiggins April 11, 2010

FMA focuses heavily on revenge.

My 10 year-old son was introduced to it by a 12 year-old friend. I think that it is a bit strong for my son's age (he will be 11 in July). But I do not want to forbid it. I have watched two episodes with him and we talk about the "revenge" components of the story. I try to use it to express our family values related to conflict resolution and try to emphasize the difference between how fictional stories are told and how real life works.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written byKakarot September 27, 2009

too interesting for teens

The greatest anime of all time because of its unique plot.i.e "Alchemy" . This anime has an unique end too,an unimaginable an remarkable end to a great anime series ever.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byrkxx September 25, 2009