Kid reviews for Game of Thrones

Artful fantasy series heavy on sexuality and violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTodd . December 19, 2012

Amazing for everyone

I read A song of Ice and Fire when i was twelve, and have seen the show also. Many people talk about how the violence and sex are unnecessary, but it is not. If you had read the books you would understand that all those parts are necessary to show the relationships between the characters. George R.R. Martin also tries, and succeeds, to make a utterly realistic world. In real life sex and violence happen, often with no sympathy at all.

Teen, 17 years old Written bytheanonbanana April 1, 2014

Great Show - ... Not for kids.

Alright- so, being a senior in high school, one could imagine that I have heard at least once (well- in my case at least 8 times) someone tell me: "Watch Game of Thrones! It's an amazing show!" - I was warned that a lot of the episodes had a fair amount of sex and violence, but the story and artistry in the show compensate for that fact.

So- I tried giving the show a try. I admit- I fell in love with the show at first, the characters were so believable, the setting was that of medieval times, the plot so complex - overall, very addicting! I was slightly disturbed by the amount of unnecessary graphic sex in the show- but due to my interest in the plot, I just pushed it aside and just took it as part of the story.

Well- I made it to about the 7th episode in the first season until I came to the conclusion that perhaps I shouldn't be watching "Game of Thrones." I found that the excessive sex and violence in the show was desensitizing me - thinking to myself: "I'm only 17, why am I exposing myself to these things?" Along with this- I also realized that my parents would probably not approve of what I was watching - if my parents were in the room, I'd definitively not feel comfortable with them sitting there watching with me - therefore, it's not something I should allow myself to watch, even though I am alone.

Yes- the plot is great, and I was really interested in the show- but I'm going to hold off on watching it until I'm older. It's not appropriate for people my age- parents should think carefully about what they are exposing their children to before allowing them to watch it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLemwell June 3, 2013

Your kids maturity matters

The show has a lot of sex in season 1, Less in 2, and very little in 3. Think about your kids maturity not their age. If you know your kid is fine with swarming a lot then ignore that part. I don't aware and I've watched the whole series. And for sex it's because of the books. It's always been really important in the books and for those of us who've read them we understand why it necessary. I skip the sex and recommend that everybody else unless its important does too. I know many people of all age who watch it and just know that the sex is usually done by bad people. The good people just die. Very realistic amazing show watch ep. 1 then if too much sex be ready to skip practically all of season 1. Season 2 is just nudity.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAether August 13, 2016

I regret watching this series as a teen under 18.

My parents did not want me watching this series, but after being persuaded by my friends to watch, I secretly made it through two seasons before I realized what I was doing. I would define my maturity level as very high; bad experiences throughout my life have left me with a knowledge of how the general world works. For this reason, I thought it was fine to watch the show. I already knew how sex worked, I've seen more than my fair share of violence, and have you heard how much my friends swear? All my friends were watching it and recommended it. I should be fine, right? No. The violence itself is nothing too far out of the ordinary, but there is an overwhelming amount of nudity/incest/freedom with prostitutes in this show that just isn't meant for those under 18. Yes, I knew that incest played a role in the entertainment industry and that prostitution was simply a sad part of the world, but there's a difference between knowing something and seeing it. I was uncomfortable watching any part that contained such material and for good reason: it wasn't meant for my eyes. Not yet, anyways. Slowly, I started to realize that I was being desensitized towards this unrealistic image of sex that the show portrayed. That shouldn't be the case for someone my age, and though all my friends were encouraging me to watch it by threatening to spoil it if I didn't, I stopped, and I don't regret stopping. I do wish I could keep watching for the otherwise quality acting, plot, individual characters, and few good role models, but in a few years, when I've matured even further, I know I'll enjoy it so much more with the knowledge that I'm not doing something that feels wrong. Don't let your kids watch this, period. I know from experience that it isn't worth it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMross April 17, 2012

Gritty, depends on the TEEN!

OK. let me start by saying this SHOULD NOT be viewed by anyone under 13. if your child is 13 and pretty mature, let him/her watch it. the problem is if you shelter your child forever they wont learn anything. but if they have never seen F bombs dropped, graphic nudity, and heavy violence....... they shouldn't watch it. chances are most 13 year old will not even get the plot. this show has heavy political themes that will just go over some peoples heads. but the world of game of thrones is immersing and detailed, and plain epic. if your child has been sticking to barbie, toy story, and thinks they are a badass for watching a pg-13 movie, don't throw them into this. but if you child is comfortable with nudity, rape, gore, violence, and understands basic political matters, it will immerse this select few greatly. personally i haven't seen a better show since Dollhouse and Rome.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMr. Fat Bubble June 10, 2015

The Greatest Show on Television

Game of Thrones is without a doubt, the greatest show on television today. I’m asking you now to forget what ever you've heard about this show because I'm going to tell you the truth, and nothing but.

Let's get the elephant out of the room and talk about the sex. Game of Thrones has sex in it. It’s there and it’s prominent – with about one in three episodes containing a nudity warning before the episode (all episodes are prefaced with content warnings based on the episode, despite what other reviews have said). However, sex is nothing that your 14 year old son or daughter has not already seen on the internet, heard about at lunch, or learned about in class - trust me. You know that popular song ‘Blurred Lines’ by Robin Thicke that you and your kid can’t stop singing? Well, that’s about date rape.

When watching Game of Thrones, it’s important that the viewer is able to separate right from wrong and good from bad. Sexual violence is seen in the show along with incest and rape. In fact, several plot points revolve around this. But as long as you are mature enough to realize that television is not real - even news is dramatized - and that the people you see on the screen are actors, no harm can come from watching.

George R.R. Martin, the writer of the series of books the show is based upon, has said this about the topic: "I can describe an axe entering a human skull in great explicit detail and no one will blink twice at it. I provide a similar description, just as detailed, of a penis entering a vagina, and I get letters about it and people swearing off."

Another issue is the violence. Yes, it is true that almost every episode is accompanied by a violence warning, and yes, it’s true that there are times when I think to myself, “Now that’s messed up.” However, if you are really considering watching Game of Thrones, do not tell me you are unaware of the violence in the show. It’s the best show on television because of it’s realism, complex characters, and intricate plot, not because it spares expenses. Once again; however, it’s all about knowing what you are able for, knowing that it’s fake, and being mature about the show’s content.

Briefly, the language in Game of Thrones is no worse than anything that can be found on YouTube and in school halls. You are aware of these words along with your 14 year old child who is not only aware, but probably frequently says more than 50% of these words. Also, drinking is no more prominent than anything you would see at a restaurant or bar when going out for dinner.

After stripping away all the sex, the violence, the language, and the drinking, you reach Game of Throne’s core. And what you find there is a political thriller and nothing but. It’s a political thriller with incredibly complex characters, intricate plot, and masterful writing and directing. This show deserves every single ounce of praise it receives and about 20% of the criticism. Like any controversial issue, it will be okay in ten years. Why miss out now?

Teen, 16 years old Written byCyprus May 1, 2013

Disappointed

Adult show is, well, adult. From all the glowing reviews I've read, I found myself very disappointed with this show. I haven't read the books, and I can't say I plan to. The only thing keeping me from giving this show a one star is the setting and costumes. Those are fantastic. It's everything else that is overdone, i.e., the sex and the language. The violence is also graphic and often, this is not for kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLalarosealie January 19, 2021

Maturity ratings can be pointless

I was twelve years old when I watched this show for the first time, and tbh, I didn’t bat an eyelash. I suppose that means I could be a bit of a sadist... but the truth is it depends on the kid. Some 12 year olds are still painfully oblivious to the worlds ways, and get embarrassed when they see a small kiss. If that’s the case- don’t show them the show.

Know your kid! Technically, my parents have no idea I watched this show, and they probably never will. But yeah
Teen, 16 years old Written byAppleflow January 22, 2017

Great show for mature kids

I think this is a great TV show. And as long as your kid is mature enough to handle sex/nudity, violence and swearing then they should be fine. This show has a great plot, complex characters, great acting and a well written script. I highly recommend this show to anyone who enjoys fantasy and even people who don't like fantasy would love be this show.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLaoiseMc April 28, 2013

On the contrary..give it a shot!

Although violence and language are a part of this series, it also promotes positive role models for example Lord Eddard Stark, who represents honesty, goodness, and always doing what is right, not to mention, his undying love for his wife and children. So although the tv series explores some dark areas it also explores the light. It is a fantastic series, not to be written off. Based on a fantastic book series, it stays true to it, word for word!

Teen, 14 years old Written byspawnofmunky August 11, 2012

GoT is too cool for you

Game of Thrones is too cool for you, maybe there are some who can't grasp it, if they're mature enough they should be allowed to first read the books then head on to dessert, HBO's delicacy for the night, Game of Thrones

Kid, 11 years old August 8, 2017

Prepare Yourself

I'm 11 years old and I love the show. Yes there is A LOT of sex and violence but if you are mature enough to handle the show then it is a GREAT show to get into. Wouldn't recommend for anyone under 10 years old, unless they are mature and are used to sex/nudity and violence. The show is full of great role models with female rulers and feminism. Once you get into the show, you cannot stop loving it! WOULD RECOMMEND!!

Kid, 9 years old September 7, 2012

Too violent for kids

Not for kids! There's some violence, female nudity and very strong language and drinking.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysireatalot December 7, 2011

Depends on the kid

Yes, it's violent. Yes, there is too much unnecessary graphic sex.
But once you get past that, it's a great story. I watch on a computer as I have to stream from the US to Australia. I also have the common sense to fast-forward stuff that's just too inappropriate.
I'm pretty mature for my age, and I can deal with realistic violence.
So get to know your kids I guess, but don't be turned off a great show

Teen, 16 years old Written byFalls Apart September 23, 2011

Amazing Show

I read the books and absolutely loved them, and the TV show just brought it to life. It's true that it has language "problems", but those just make the dialogue more realistic. True, some curses weren't around then, but if they talked in medieval English, we wouldn't understand them; it was pretty much a different language back then. Besides, most were. And, yes, there is graphic sexual and violent content, but that adds a sense of realism to the show. Why is it necessary to "hint at" things when it's on an HBO show based on an adult book series clearly geared towards adults? That's not to say, of course, that it can't be enjoyed by non-adults; I enjoyed it personally and can't wait to let my younger siblings in on the fun. My only complaint is that sometimes the sexual content detracts from the show by being blatantly fanservice-driven rather than expository. Other than that, though, (and the horrible casting of Shae), it was amazing! Five stars, two thumbs up, show to anyone who loves fantasy and can handle a bit of grit.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymaudy December 6, 2017

depends on maturity

i'm european so my entire upbringing was pretty liberal, i started watching this a couple of months after i turned 12 and it was perfectly fine for me, the first two seasons have a lot of sex scenes and after that it decreases quite a bit, butts and breasts are the only nudity shown. for the first season i skipped through the sex scenes but by thee time i was 13 i was watching them fully. i know kids who started watching it earlier than i did and none of them felt particularly uncomfortable with the nudity. the words "f*ck" and "c*nt" are used a lot but unless your child is home schooled they're already very familiar with these words. other than that there is a lot of graphic violence in terms of heads being chopped off. But besides all this it is maybe the best show out there, the sets are breathtaking (one of the best in tv and movie history), the cinematography is great, the costume design continues to amaze, the plot lines and acting are top notch and the show continues to amaze me, even after 7 seasons. honestly if tv shows were included in the oscars, it would take home all the awards. It has (in my opinion) THE MOST empowering female role figures currently on air, and the male role figures are also amazing.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKeenanm519 September 7, 2017

Best TV show of all time

It's HBO what do you expect, the show is so good watch it now!

Teen, 15 years old Written byFlufficat July 18, 2017

Good show for mature teens

If your ok with a little bit of blood and very few (but still graphic sex scenes) this is an amazing show. Not for kids though, a mature 14 year old could watch it if they weren't sensitive so the shows graphic scenes.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMelanieGreaves October 13, 2015

Maturity matters, not age

Myself, I love horror and gore, and you do have to be mature to handle those things. Game of Thrones isn't scary, in my opinion, but it does have a lot of graphic sex, including lesbian, gay, incestual and heterosexual. You see full frontals of women and occasionally see a man's penis. Some say all of this is unnecessary but do you not know what the internet is? The writer of the books says it'd be dishonest to just center the story on war, when really in the wars there'd be rape, sex and all of this other stuff. Some would say it's disturbing, but you can just skip past because the story is amazingly well written and the idea just makes up for everything. Also, there's tons of gore, but it's not as bad. Oh and one last thing, don't have a favourite character, a lot die.

Finally, your child's maturity matters. I watch it alone, I have been since I was 11. It's just less awkward :)

Teen, 16 years old Written byTip yap July 19, 2013

Mature but unbelievably amazing

The main problem is the sexuality which is graphic and the themes are really mature eg incest but it is not about that at all its amazing storyline and cool fighting sequences plus actually interesting medieval politics makes this the best tv show to ever air