Kid reviews for Game of Thrones

Artful fantasy series heavy on sexuality and violence.

Teen, 17 years old Written bytheanonbanana April 1, 2014

Great Show - ... Not for kids.

Alright- so, being a senior in high school, one could imagine that I have heard at least once (well- in my case at least 8 times) someone tell me: "Watch Game of Thrones! It's an amazing show!" - I was warned that a lot of the episodes had a fair amount of sex and violence, but the story and artistry in the show compensate for that fact. So- I tried giving the show a try. I admit- I fell in love with the show at first, the characters were so believable, the setting was that of medieval times, the plot so complex - overall, very addicting! I was slightly disturbed by the amount of unnecessary graphic sex in the show- but due to my interest in the plot, I just pushed it aside and just took it as part of the story. Well- I made it to about the 7th episode in the first season until I came to the conclusion that perhaps I shouldn't be watching "Game of Thrones." I found that the excessive sex and violence in the show was desensitizing me - thinking to myself: "I'm only 17, why am I exposing myself to these things?" Along with this- I also realized that my parents would probably not approve of what I was watching - if my parents were in the room, I'd definitively not feel comfortable with them sitting there watching with me - therefore, it's not something I should allow myself to watch, even though I am alone. Yes- the plot is great, and I was really interested in the show- but I'm going to hold off on watching it until I'm older. It's not appropriate for people my age- parents should think carefully about what they are exposing their children to before allowing them to watch it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLemwell June 3, 2013

Your kids maturity matters

The show has a lot of sex in season 1, Less in 2, and very little in 3. Think about your kids maturity not their age. If you know your kid is fine with swarming a lot then ignore that part. I don't aware and I've watched the whole series. And for sex it's because of the books. It's always been really important in the books and for those of us who've read them we understand why it necessary. I skip the sex and recommend that everybody else unless its important does too. I know many people of all age who watch it and just know that the sex is usually done by bad people. The good people just die. Very realistic amazing show watch ep. 1 then if too much sex be ready to skip practically all of season 1. Season 2 is just nudity.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTodd . December 19, 2012

Amazing for everyone

I read A song of Ice and Fire when i was twelve, and have seen the show also. Many people talk about how the violence and sex are unnecessary, but it is not. If you had read the books you would understand that all those parts are necessary to show the relationships between the characters. George R.R. Martin also tries, and succeeds, to make a utterly realistic world. In real life sex and violence happen, often with no sympathy at all.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMross April 17, 2012

Gritty, depends on the TEEN!

OK. let me start by saying this SHOULD NOT be viewed by anyone under 13. if your child is 13 and pretty mature, let him/her watch it. the problem is if you shelter your child forever they wont learn anything. but if they have never seen F bombs dropped, graphic nudity, and heavy violence....... they shouldn't watch it. chances are most 13 year old will not even get the plot. this show has heavy political themes that will just go over some peoples heads. but the world of game of thrones is immersing and detailed, and plain epic. if your child has been sticking to barbie, toy story, and thinks they are a badass for watching a pg-13 movie, don't throw them into this. but if you child is comfortable with nudity, rape, gore, violence, and understands basic political matters, it will immerse this select few greatly. personally i haven't seen a better show since Dollhouse and Rome.

Teen, 15 years old Written byzazmopepperz April 26, 2011

Iffy for ages 15- 17

Game of Thrones is quite a slow, dull show at first, but when you watch you second episode you can really get into the characters and the story. I haven't read the book, I'm hate reading to be honest but I bet it's a good book from what I've seen so far in the Tv series. Now down to the iffy stuff, two blonde characters were exiled from the seven kingdoms, they are brother and sister. The brother forces his sister to marry a leader of a savage tribe so they can invade the great kingdoms and be the king. Obviously he is a real d--k to his sister and she often (against her will) has to have sex with the tribe leader for his brothers will. The sex is probably the most graphic part of the series, there is some strong language and rare (but gory) violence. I'm 15 and my brother lets me watch the show but my parents probably wouldn't let me watch it until I was 18. However I think the show is appropriate for 15-year-olds.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMr. Fat Bubble June 10, 2015

The Greatest Show on Television

Game of Thrones is without a doubt, the greatest show on television today. I’m asking you now to forget what ever you've heard about this show because I'm going to tell you the truth, and nothing but. Let's get the elephant out of the room and talk about the sex. Game of Thrones has sex in it. It’s there and it’s prominent – with about one in three episodes containing a nudity warning before the episode (all episodes are prefaced with content warnings based on the episode, despite what other reviews have said). However, sex is nothing that your 14 year old son or daughter has not already seen on the internet, heard about at lunch, or learned about in class - trust me. You know that popular song ‘Blurred Lines’ by Robin Thicke that you and your kid can’t stop singing? Well, that’s about date rape. When watching Game of Thrones, it’s important that the viewer is able to separate right from wrong and good from bad. Sexual violence is seen in the show along with incest and rape. In fact, several plot points revolve around this. But as long as you are mature enough to realize that television is not real - even news is dramatized - and that the people you see on the screen are actors, no harm can come from watching. George R.R. Martin, the writer of the series of books the show is based upon, has said this about the topic: "I can describe an axe entering a human skull in great explicit detail and no one will blink twice at it. I provide a similar description, just as detailed, of a penis entering a vagina, and I get letters about it and people swearing off." Another issue is the violence. Yes, it is true that almost every episode is accompanied by a violence warning, and yes, it’s true that there are times when I think to myself, “Now that’s messed up.” However, if you are really considering watching Game of Thrones, do not tell me you are unaware of the violence in the show. It’s the best show on television because of it’s realism, complex characters, and intricate plot, not because it spares expenses. Once again; however, it’s all about knowing what you are able for, knowing that it’s fake, and being mature about the show’s content. Briefly, the language in Game of Thrones is no worse than anything that can be found on YouTube and in school halls. You are aware of these words along with your 14 year old child who is not only aware, but probably frequently says more than 50% of these words. Also, drinking is no more prominent than anything you would see at a restaurant or bar when going out for dinner. After stripping away all the sex, the violence, the language, and the drinking, you reach Game of Throne’s core. And what you find there is a political thriller and nothing but. It’s a political thriller with incredibly complex characters, intricate plot, and masterful writing and directing. This show deserves every single ounce of praise it receives and about 20% of the criticism. Like any controversial issue, it will be okay in ten years. Why miss out now?

Teen, 14 years old Written bysireatalot December 7, 2011

Depends on the kid

Yes, it's violent. Yes, there is too much unnecessary graphic sex. But once you get past that, it's a great story. I watch on a computer as I have to stream from the US to Australia. I also have the common sense to fast-forward stuff that's just too inappropriate. I'm pretty mature for my age, and I can deal with realistic violence. So get to know your kids I guess, but don't be turned off a great show

Teen, 14 years old Written byShhhlock April 9, 2015

I kinda felt bad...

So it was last year, I had heard of the show heaps of times before. I heard it was inappropriate, but that was it. One day my cousin mentioned about how much she loved the show, and honestly we like so many of the same things. So I gave it a google search. Eventually I watched the first episode, I loved it... to some extent. The story line is amazing! There was strong violence, which has never personally bothered me, it's a high budget show, so it gory. Also there is bad language, but I'm so used to it now, it's in everything. The thing I hated about the show was the sex. I would always fast forward it, I'm just not into that stuff. There is a lot of nudity in the show too, I would usually just cover the screen with my thumb. I am aware that all these scenes are part of the story line. I made it up to season 1 episode 7 before I cracked. I couldn't watch the show anymore, not only was I watching it behind my parents back, but I knew it was wrong. This show was amazing, but someone my age is too young to watch it. I might pick it up again in a few years. Parents, it's up to you whether you let your child watch it, but coming from I child I didn't feel it was right.

Kid, 9 years old September 7, 2012

Too violent for kids

Not for kids! There's some violence, female nudity and very strong language and drinking.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymulbytime April 12, 2012

Very Artistic, Horrifyingly Realistic

This show is fantastic! It is my favorite show of all time. It is by far the smartest fantasy story out there. That being said, the sex in this show is very pervasive. There has been at least one sex scene in every episode. However, unlike many people have said, the sex is very important to the story. You have to remember that Game of Thrones is a very artistic show. Both George R.R. Martin and HBO work to make the viewing/reading the most realistic it could be. For example, much of the sex is in a whorehouse. But if you think about it, prostitutes on the job wouldn't be just sitting around, looking proper. No! They would be doing their job. As for the violence, there are many very graphic scenes. But that's not the worst part. The worst part is that the writer, George R.R. Martin, doesn't care about killing off characters. He uses it basically as a writing mechanic, and doesn't care about how people will react. As shocking and horrifying as these deaths are, they are the parts that got me hooked on the show! If this was a movie, I believe it would be rated the rating just above R. However, you must keep in mind that it is a successful effort to make the show feel more realistic. I love this show because of the great acting, the amazing story, and all the little detail that make this show what it is. This is not a show you want to miss out on!

Teen, 16 years old Written byFalls Apart September 23, 2011

Amazing Show

I read the books and absolutely loved them, and the TV show just brought it to life. It's true that it has language "problems", but those just make the dialogue more realistic. True, some curses weren't around then, but if they talked in medieval English, we wouldn't understand them; it was pretty much a different language back then. Besides, most were. And, yes, there is graphic sexual and violent content, but that adds a sense of realism to the show. Why is it necessary to "hint at" things when it's on an HBO show based on an adult book series clearly geared towards adults? That's not to say, of course, that it can't be enjoyed by non-adults; I enjoyed it personally and can't wait to let my younger siblings in on the fun. My only complaint is that sometimes the sexual content detracts from the show by being blatantly fanservice-driven rather than expository. Other than that, though, (and the horrible casting of Shae), it was amazing! Five stars, two thumbs up, show to anyone who loves fantasy and can handle a bit of grit.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLaoiseMc April 28, 2013

On the contrary..give it a shot!

Although violence and language are a part of this series, it also promotes positive role models for example Lord Eddard Stark, who represents honesty, goodness, and always doing what is right, not to mention, his undying love for his wife and children. So although the tv series explores some dark areas it also explores the light. It is a fantastic series, not to be written off. Based on a fantastic book series, it stays true to it, word for word!

Teen, 14 years old Written byspawnofmunky August 11, 2012

GoT is too cool for you

Game of Thrones is too cool for you, maybe there are some who can't grasp it, if they're mature enough they should be allowed to first read the books then head on to dessert, HBO's delicacy for the night, Game of Thrones

Teen, 16 years old Written byJediZing May 3, 2013

Not for younger viewers

Its a great series but keep in mind it is not made for childrens entertainment. This is an adults show. This show has lots of rape, anal sex, death, decapitation, blood and gore. Wouldnt recommend to children, let them keep their innocence for a while longer

Teen, 13 years old Written byImnotateenbutgood September 20, 2012

Gives kids nightmares

Teen, 13 years old Written byI'mthedoctor July 20, 2013

watched it once

Not for kids

Teen, 16 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 August 2, 2012

Game of THRONES

Game of Thrones was a Good drama series.

Teen, 16 years old Written byCyprus May 1, 2013

Disappointed

Adult show is, well, adult. From all the glowing reviews I've read, I found myself very disappointed with this show. I haven't read the books, and I can't say I plan to. The only thing keeping me from giving this show a one star is the setting and costumes. Those are fantastic. It's everything else that is overdone, i.e., the sex and the language. The violence is also graphic and often, this is not for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byKingsguard February 16, 2013

Sensational

Review: An epic TV series set in a fantasy world governed by nobles involved in a political war for power. Whilst they are in feuds over power, an evil force musters in the north beyond a wall. It is superb and has a very unclear story line that shows what the price of honor can be. Violence: 8/10 Violence in game of thrones is fairly heavy and occasionally focuses on pain. Some scenes include tongues cut off, babies being slaughtered and decapitation. Blood is realistic and gore is very mature. Sex: 9/10 Sometimes, the movie focuses on aspects of sex such as incest, rape and homosexuality. There is an extremely graphic depiction of sex in some scenes where scenes are extremely realistic, with full nudity and male and female private parts shown. Profanity: 9/10 Some words are used in this TV series that even adults would dislike. The terms are not racist though or directly promote any form of swearing. Drugs: 6/10 Alcohol is sometimes consumed and a character is shown to be drunk. Substances are often consumed. Peril: 8/10 There are some scenes, sometimes emphasized by impending gore or a good character being killed. Others include horrific scenes of massacres and men begging for mercy who are killed. Hate: 7/10 Whores are referred to like animals. An extremely short man is often called imp or dwarf in a derogatory way. Bastards of lords are bullied often. Horror: 6/10 Wights and mysterious creatures are seen, albeit in a very small number of episodes. They are jumpy and look putrid. Gory images which may scare people are shown. Overall: 53/70 (0.76) I would say (as a teen) that the expansive story line, history and politics, keeps the sex and violence from attempting to be cliche. The acting is superb, the series is well constructed and dare i say, this is one of the best shows of all time, well done HBO! For parents, I would advise that children who couldn't handle extremely mature situations are not recommended to watch this. It is rated 18 for a reason.

Teen, 15 years old Written byalexx55 January 8, 2012

Good story but unecessary sex