Parent of an infant year old Written bymarie_ October 1, 2010

It has just become too raunchy. Too bad.

Was watching it last night (the "brittany spears" episode") with our 13-year-old girl, and turned it off after the glee club Brittany's laughing gas-induced dream seduction of her dentist. NEVER to watch it again. This was after we suffered through watching another glee club member tell the visiting dentist at school, "you are so hot, seriously, you could drill me any time." I was sick of it by then, and we just turned off the TV after the dream scene. It is just not worth it.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bychris2400 December 15, 2010

No longer let kids watch

I personally love to watch Glee. My family ;has watched it since the beginning. It was a very difficult decision but we no longer allow our kids to watch the show. My kids are 10 & 12. When the kids agreed that the show had become too sexual I knew I was doing the right thing. The funny thing is that most parents I talk to have a problem with the open homosexuality. I personally think they protray that story line in a very classy way. It shows just how difficult a high school teen's life is when dealing with the issues. It is the story line between the the two cheerleaders, Miranda and Brittney that is outrageous. These girls make out together and give eachother hickeys just because they are bored. They openly have sex with others for power, popularity and just because. My kids love the music but the show it just too inapporporate for the "family hour" . This show should be at 10pm. There is as much sex on this show as Grey's Anatomy.
Parent of a 6, 11, 13, and 16 year old Written bySimplify September 14, 2010

Where have our family values gone?

I think this is an evil show wrapped in a candy coating. It is suggestive, inappropriate, and appalling. I can't believe that our society is celebrating this type of adult behavior in a teen setting! It seems like nothing is off limits if it's sung to a show tune!
Parent of a 1, 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byUTMomof4 February 3, 2011

WAY too much teenage sexuality!

Many of my parent friends enjoy Glee, so I thought I'd give it a try. I rented the first disc of the first season from Netflix. I watched it alone, I figured even my 8 year old shouldn't watch it, since it's a series by the FOX network. I was shocked and dismayed by the content! WAY too much teenage sexuality. That whole part of the cheerleaders and boys grinding against balloons between each other, waiting for the balloon to pop was just way too gratuitous, even for me. I would be afraid that if my kids were high-school age and watched it, they would think that kind of behavior is o.k. I don't even want to watch that type of stuff. I stopped watching it halfway through that episode and returned the disc, and cancelled all the rest of the Glee discs from my queue. Not something I'll watch or EVER let my kids watch.
Parent of a 6 and 13 year old Written bymaplehamster September 9, 2009

Disappointing focus on sex

Loved the first one, this 2nd episode is totally inappropriate for my 13-year-old son because of the sexual content. I am so disappointed.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byanneomaly October 1, 2010
Season 1 wasn't too bad, and my daughter was looking forward to Season 2. Watched the first episode, and I was disappointed with inappropriate sexual content. Episode 2 (Brittany Spears episode) was disgustingly sexual - my 14 yr old turned it off of her own accord and expressed her disappointment. It just makes me sick because I know young girls love to watch this show, and it would be a great platform for positive messages. Instead, we got over-sexualized fantasies (dancing, lyrics, lines spoken) more appropriate for 20-something men. Shame on them.
Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written bysjohn October 29, 2010
I loved Glee up until this season. I found it is over the top and would not recommend it for any age, especially young teens. Yes, the music is great, and most parents will let their children watch it because of the music and its quirky humor. However, the main characters have been switching partners so often this season, they are not really good role models anymore. There is a lot of sexual experimentation going on this season, do our children really need to be subjected to this on TV, when it is so embedded in our culture. I am done with Glee, I can not condone watching it even for myself anymore. It's too bad it had to go down the path of other popular tv shows, I used to love it because it was so different.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylikethewatch May 26, 2011

"Glee" makes me a little sad

The "Glee" kids are all stereotypes, with just one of each high school archetype. The bullying is shocking: slushee drinks are thrown in unpopular students' faces, the gay kid is thrown in a dumpster repeatedly, and these injustices are taken in stride. No one gets suspended, and the victims always have a wardrobe change stashed away, because this is a musical. The adults' behavior is no better: Sue, the cheerleading coach, is like the Devil testing "good guy" teacher Will Shuester. Even he shows terrible judgment. Sexual stereotypes are allowed to persist, even while the subjects of the episodes are *about* things like gender inequality. This is a fantasy, with a lot of risque behavior, poor judgment, and the use of diverse people as props supporting the main story lines, which are, as always, about the white, heterosexual kids' romances. Even the performances hold up an unrealistic standard: you can tell they're Autotuned. In a real glee club, you have to actually hit that note.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byAstrid12 November 21, 2010

Neat little show about the troubles of high school

This show is rather smartly written and contains several messages that mean well. The music is rather good too. Younger kids probably won't even get it but those beginning to grow will find it rather helpful.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byilovebamboo April 2, 2010

HSM with It's Lunch Money Stolen

Before letting your children watch this show, you have to figure out if they are mature enough.But, as a rule of thumb, it's not for children under 12. They mention of alchol, drugs, and sex often. But, if you have teens who love music, this is the show for them!
Parent Written byhonest_television July 18, 2015

Amazing! It will win over your heart!

I love it. My kids and i used to watch it on FOX.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byVishal P. November 27, 2016
This show is not appropriate for younger kids. It shows lots of drugs, say a number of bad words and is not a good show for you kids if they tend to do things on T.V. I have a child at the age of 12 and she always watches it. I found out awhile ago and I am very disappointed in her. If you do let you child watch this show please make sure to watch a couple of episodes so you know what it is about. Just a recommendation, but you are free to think what you think.
Parent Written byVanessaP August 12, 2011

Appropriate.

It is a really good show. It has very strong characters and good role models. For example, Kurt Hummel is an openly gay student. He is always bullied, but he refuses to become anyone other than who he is. Or Emma Pillsbury, the guidance counselor with OCD, cares very deeply about the students and helps them solve their problems while overcoming her own issues with OCD. However, there is some sexual content. For example, one character is pregnant, 3 characters are openly promiscuous (Brittany, Santana and Puck), and sex is frequently discussed, usually in a casual way between the students. There is also some slightly tense moments concerning bullying. Dave Karofsky, a football player, constantly tortures Kurt by bullying him, slamming him against the lockers or simply 'terrifying me,' as Kurt put it in the show. The bullying isn't scary like a horror movie or anything, but it can be quite emotional to watch, especially watching Kurt's reaction and how it makes him and his friends and family feel. There is also some bullying just for comic relief, too. A running joke through the series is that the Glee Club kids get 'slushied' by the jocks, meaning that the jocks take a slushie and basically throw it in their faces, a 'slushie facial', which is actually quite funny. I do believe this show is appropriate for the most part. Just know your kids and know what they can handle, but I think this is fine for most kids 11 and up.
Adult Written byDogcrazed February 22, 2011

Everything has to be about sex these days...

Really don't like it, used to watch it in chorus class. I find it to be over-dramatic and over-sexual. It seems like the song and dance idea would be fine, but they have to get their sick kicks in and way too sexual.
Parent Written byMommaOfAngels November 19, 2010
I think for 14 and older is a good age for this show. Due to some of its sexual dialogue13 is a bit iffy, maybe if you watch as a family to go over some of the risque topics after. I think parents should really watch a FEW episodes before determing wether you want you tween to watch.
Adult Written bystrawberryluva23 September 28, 2010

Crappy show.

I used to love Glee. The wise cracks of Sue Sylvester, the awesome remakes of great songs, the outcasts that were cool. But the second season is way inappropriate. Way too much sex and bad messages. And it's also a dumb show now! It started getting a bit lamer in the second half of the first season. Now it just sucks. So, I don't recommend it at all.
Adult Written bymaddygmoo September 19, 2010

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I lovee this show! Dont miss it!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byButhead66 July 27, 2016

Yeeeees

Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byHaley Wright March 29, 2015

Great Show

I think its a really great show and the most important thing in letting your child watch this is knowing your child and knowing what she/he is okay with and what you are okay with.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byDaddyFlip October 10, 2010

Musically fun with positive messages that shine

I read some of the other reviews before posting and I agree with most of the disappointed reviewers about the escalation of sex. I saw this show for the first time just recently and it was DVR from April, so I guess I'm starting somewhere in season two. I'm watching with my daughter who hasn't seen all the episodes, but more than I have. Yes, there are topics that I wish we didn't have to deal with for TV entertainment, but they are out there in the real world; I'm just glad they are not overly glorified or totally off base in their view of them. Our society will continue to misuse and glorify sex for wrong and selfish reasons, so learn to deal with it. The music is great! The acting is pretty good- it's an offbeat, modern take on the traditional musical. The pressures on high school students are fairly portrayed. I think it would be a better show if the parent's/teacher's lives weren't so transparent- I never knew anything about my teachers (25 years ago!). So, it's somewhat entertaining and edgy for high schoolers, but nowhere near as bad as "Secret Life of the American Teenager" which is banned at my house. There are positive messages that shine through the dicey situations.