Parent reviews for Good Eats

Good Eats Poster Image

We LOVE this show!!!

My kids and I watch this show ALL THE TIME. Even if there are cartoons that they would normally watch, they tell me to stay on this. Alton Brown is hilarious and his demonstrations make things normally college-level completely easy for my 6 year old to understand.

amazing

This is a good show that is entertaining as well as educational. The recipes are easy to follow, they taste great, and you learn a thing or two about the science and history of the food. I would say it's appropriate for any age. The website says that there is too much alcohol, but that's just because sometimes he uses alcohol to cook with. I doubt kids will want to run out and get drunk because they saw this show. I would recommend it to ANYONE!

Gets kids interested in cooking

A perfect, educational, and fun show for families who love cooking. There are occasional episodes that deal exclusively with alcohol, but you can always watch those without the kids.

My family watches this show together

I watch this with my daughter. I only know how to cook because of Alton Brown, so it is nice that my 5-year-old can join me in watching it. In fact, I let her start watching when she was 3. Certainly there is reference to alcohol, in recipes, and occasionally in actual mixology. However, this doesn't bother my family, since we just explain that alcohol is for adults only. For recipes that include it, it leads to a great discussion of volatile chemicals. AB is an imaginative, funny, and inventive teacher, passionate about what he does, and he doesn't fear math, chemistry, engineering, nutrition, or history. Or beets. Kids can understand some of it, and my daughter knows what an emulsifier is, what happens when you whip cream, and how a lever works, from watching that show. So unless your family is stricter than mine about alcohol, or doesn't care for occasional dark humor (like the Sweeney Todd Halloween episode, which was so funny I couldn't breathe), I don't see too many potential problems.

Spectacular Cooking Show

Good Eats is full of witty, fun food science, and some seriously delicious looking "good eats." Brown makes all of the science easy (and fun!) to understand. The comedy is completely appropriate for all ages (mild comic violence and some innuendo that kids won't understand). A great family show!

Not just a cooking show- fun and educational!

I watch this show with my son, who just turned seven this month. He's been able to understand everything going on since six, but he's gifted in math and science so I don't know if most other children will get it that young. Alton Brown's perfect balance of common-sense cooking, easily understandable explanations behind the science therein and a healthy measure of humor make this one of our favorite shows. My boy loves the show (and learns all kinds of nifty bits of science from it) and can't wait to meet Alton at a Green Film Fest in DC this month.