Parent reviews for Goosebumps

Spooky spin on books may be too scary for kids.

Adult Written bypccangel April 9, 2008

Ok for ages 8+

Goosebumps is too scary for the younger kids. My 6 year old has been running down the hall to my room the middle of every night since we watched one episode with him (which seemed very benign and had no obvious effect on him). On the other hand, my 8 year old enjoyed it without any ill effects.
Parent Written bytreat02 February 18, 2012

ok, for some

i got to say this is pretty good, but if you are under 9 or so, it might be frightening. some of this really is not content for some kids.

Adult Written byMalinda B. April 1, 2018

They took away the first episode but it's still good

It no nightmare scary it's just creepy
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byray b. February 19, 2018

Very fun to watch!!!!

Watch it it’s great for kids who like scares.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 15-year-old Written byHendo H. U December 25, 2017

Not as good movie, definitely not as good as books.

When my son was 8, he watched this show and was scared of the dark for 6 months so maybe 10+

Adult Written byJake K. December 14, 2017

Creative, albeit haphazardly executed TV series

I'm just going to be completely transparent - I've only read some of the books in the range, and rarely paid attention to the show when it first aired on Fox Kids. I've only started watching it as a teenager, that is, after I finished watching Are You Afraid of the Dark.

I can honestly say that in comparison, Goosebumps just isn't that great. Some episodes just feel incredibly rushed, especially the twist endings.

There's one episode where these kids live their life normally but are really supposed to be dogs. How can dogs become so adept at living as human kids, to the extent of forming a rock band? In another instance, this kid goes to camp and is put through a series of tests and trials, but then it's revealed that he was part of a government experiment, and he and his parents seek Earth as their next destination. This is regardless of the fact that the campsite and all of its happenings were very much on Earth - way to merely tack something on at the end.

Speaking of endings, I've seen one of the reviews say that "the good guys 'always win' in the end". Yes, they 'win' plenty in Are You Afraid of the Dark. But in this series, they don't - not even remotely. No ending in Goosebumps is positive. Often, the main character/characters find themselves trapped, about to be killed, or subject to a bizarre, abrupt cliffhanger. This can be especially unsettling to younger viewers, particularly those who expect a happy ending.

For this reason, I'd only recommend Goosebumps for those a little older, who could appreciate it from a creative standpoint. Otherwise, it may have a longstanding ill effect on kids aged six and below.
Adult Written byPaul D. November 24, 2017

Not Scary!!!!

My son watches this show and his mom is horrified when my son is not scared at all.
My son also laughs at it.
Adult Written byChantelistre October 25, 2015

Goosebumps is great for children 7+

Goosebumps is very tame compared to television which children are currently exposed. Seven plus age is very fair depending on your child's individual personality. No cursing, no belittling parent figures, family unity and obedience of children are demonstrated.
Children, just like adults, have different entertainment preferences, some adults like spooky films, while other do not. My boys, 7&10, are more spooked by a stranger and a clown at a circus, then goosebumps. (Series and movie)
Adult Written byimslimshady September 25, 2015

Pretty good for younger children

Of course, it depends on the maturity level of each individual child. Some kids are able to handle more "spooky" material at a younger age than other children are. For me personally, I started watching Goosebumps around age 10 and was never bothered by the material in it. They were often creepy, but they weren't so scary that I couldn't handle it. And the "good guys" always win in the end; the horror never prevails, so there's always a happy ending. Sometimes it's ominous with hints that the "bad" things might still be out there for these characters, but it's clear that everyone is safe and sound in the end.

Adult Written byEggplant May 8, 2015

Goosebumps.. You must beware you're in for a scare

Violence 7/10: Slappy bites, grabs, and even chokes children. He kicks a character at one point too. Uncle Al gets a poison dart to the chest. The Haunted Mask makes people go violent and disturbing and tries to eat someone. Werewolves and bampires bite people and the werewolf a even claw and eat them. Dead animals are briefly shown. Billy and Brian shove each other in one scene. Brian punches someone hard trying to escape. Language 4/10: Slappy makes a lot of rude comments throughout the show. Sex and drinking/drugs: None

Adult Written byreviewer person January 29, 2014

Goosebumps Review

Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18+-year-old Written byParentofwisdom August 26, 2013

Goosebumps is too scary

This show scared the Chicken out of my kids! they were both 9 when they first watched it and now they are 10 and still freaked out! Oh! I miss my 18 year old that is an collage. :(

Adult Written byCalvin Bauer October 15, 2011
Adult Written byThatRussianYakAttack December 5, 2009

Bad Quality for Parents and Scary for the Young'uns.

I must admit, shows like this freaked me out when I was younger, but now I'm seventeen and just find the shows silly with poor acting, bad effects, and predictable stories.

However, even with that being said, a couple episodes still happen to freak me out ever-so-slightly... So be careful with the little ones. It's a horrible show to watch in more ways than one, but I'd prefer this show over many of the other horror series out there.
Parent of a 7, 10, 11, 13, and 15-year-old Written byLisa mom to 5 October 23, 2009

happily scared of Goosebumps

Scary, plain and simple. Of course that's the point. My kids love these shows but are still scared of some of the content.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

goosebumps isnt really scary and......

goosebumps isnt really scary and most of them arnt very well made.

Parent of a 13, 15, and 16-year-old Written bydemondonkey25 June 27, 2009

DO NOT WATCH.
Check out tales from the crypt instead.

Adult Written byshecky April 9, 2008

awesome

I love Goosebumps. I remember when it first came out in the '90's, but it seeems a lot more entertaining now.
This show may be too scary for little kids.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008