All parent member reviews for Gossip Girl

Adult Written byangelfire87 January 10, 2011

No Redeeming Qualities

There really aren't any redeeming qualities to this show. It's a show glamorizing teenage sex with multiple partners, drug use, under age drinking, backstabbing, and gossip.
Adult Written bycadiomals August 15, 2011

Know your kids

The best thing to do when it comes to this show is: know your kids. If they are easily influenced by media images, this is definitely not for them. However, if they are old enough and mature enough to know that there's some bad stuff to be found in this show and not to follow it, it could just be harmless fun for them.
Adult Written byBeckstar November 1, 2011

Too much sex and bad role models

YET another thing I'm reviewing where commonsensemedia and I don't click. As soon as I started watching this show, it started with sex, sex and more sex. Every single episode seemed to have it. It also contains lots of drinking., back-stabbing, heaps of gossip (hence the title) and sleeping around plus other bad behaviour. I would NEVER let anyone watch this under 16. Everyone is this show is fake, superficial. No role models in this show, nor is there any 'good' messages. Not that I noticed anyway. I only watched it because I wanted to see what the fuss was about, but would NEVER see again. I'm appauled at someone commenting that they saw this when they were 10! Sure, kids will find out all this stuff around 10 anyway, but this show doesn't give them any good messages about anything
Parent Written byCommonSenseParent November 30, 2010

Great show for 6th grade and up

Gossip Girl is an addictive guilty pleasure show that is perfect for 11 (6th grade) and up. Kids will enjoy the fun details of the wealthy and privileged. Your children should be smart enough to realize that this is guilty pleasure TV and should not be taken seriously. A+
Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byLiz Perle April 9, 2008

kids drink and drug and have sex with designer labels

Do we need this? I know people are saying this is a guilty pleasure but what is so pleasurable about watching kids who, if they were ours, we would be weeping over? Is there one parent on earth who wants to have such shallow, ill behaved selfish kids? yuck. It's another question entirely why we as an audience like to watch this stuff.
Adult Written byTWIHARD4LIFE August 18, 2010

Me and mo9st of my friends began watching this when we were 11. no biggie
Adult Written bykcande April 9, 2008

just a bunch of lost kids

Parent of a 2 year old Written bylynzie2106 September 21, 2009

I think its fine for children 16+, yes it has some sexual tention.refrences to drugs, ect. but what 16 year old doesnt know about these things. Its not promoting anything of the sort though, it shows kids who are rich and live certain life styles and what the consequences are. Some of the charcters are bratty and backstab each other over rumors, ect, again something thats not a good message, its entertainment, i suggest 16+ with parent supervision as well as a talk after the shows about what happened. I think this show is a chance to get close with your teen and have them trust you.
Adult Written bybeanieh April 9, 2008

Yuck. A waste of t.v. time.

I spent the hour watching this program with my lip curled in disgust. All the kids on the show engage in risky behavior, which could make for good t.v. if they ever suffered the consequences of their actions. But the characters don't care about each other, the adults in their lives are clueless, and the only two remotely likeable kids are really kind of boring. I've always loved the "nighttime soap" genre, but a show is only worth watching if you have a nice, strong reaction to the main characters -- either you love 'em or you hate 'em. I was ambivalent about every character on this show, and my 13 year old daughter and I are completely writing it off.
Parent Written byLMR April 7, 2012

Fiction became Reality

Gossip Girl may seem exagerated and far away from reality but the truth is it couldn't be more realistic. If you were to meet the children of those who are insanely wealthy you will realize this is exactly what they behave like. If you don't believe me, just think about the "popular" kids from your own high school. they would be he first ones to drink, have sex, and most of them were probably somewhat wealthy. People criticize this show because they say it sets a bad example for teens, but the truth is, this is what is going on in the real world, and it has nothing to do with the tv show. It all depends o how you raise you kids, and if you have done a good job, a tv show should have nothing to do with whether or not a child behaves. You as a parent should be more careful with the actual companies and behavior your child seems o be involved with. Believe me, these kids that look just like the ones portrayed in GG, robaby don't even watch it. This is the real world, except it i seen through a screen.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byconnielove93 February 9, 2010

A great complex show for kids 13 and up!!

Gossip girl featres people who are willing to backstab others in order to get their way. But that's what it takes to get ahead in the upper east side. I think the role models are good because it tells kids that being lazy and not going to college will get you nowhere. Everyone aspires to be like them because they are rich, tell your kids that if they want to be rich and perfect like them they will have to get good grades and a higher education.
Adult Written byPANACEA May 15, 2009
Adult Written byloveballet101 April 9, 2008

Great show

I can see why some parents are worried about this show, but I feel it is appropriate for children 12 and up. The language is surprisingly tame, and although sexual innuendos are made,I feel comfortable having both my 13 and 16 year old daughters watch this. Although some believe it to be too risky, I think that the behavior displayed by these adolescents are relatable in some cases. I also believe that lessons can be learned from the poor decisions characters sometimes make. Other shows I enjoy include "Ugly Betty", which I believe is just as appropriate as Gossip Girl, although not as entertaining for preteens and teenagers
Educator and Parent Written byMrs.Melanie December 29, 2013

Trust

Let us begin with the title, the theme is "gossip girl" so obviously it will feature scenes with slender and well gossip.As an adult with three kids and a teen i can understand how it feels to allow my kids to watch these discouraging shows: however, i believe that i have taught my kids well enough and i know my kids wont instantaneously turn into "sex maniacs' and worse- Drug addicts. All i'm saying is that if your kids are highly immpressionable like - 10 or 8 i would not recommened this show but if they are older than i think we should trust them and show them respect as growing people ( i mean we cant keep them in our wings forever,right?) at least that's what my pastor says. i do not speak for the whole population of christians.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bylindatapp April 15, 2011

At least 13 to watch

It's fun for kids 13 and up. To not let a 15 year old watch it is ridiculous, but 13 is iffy. Just talk with your kid and make sure they know right from wrong.
Adult Written bytjgirl222 June 26, 2010

Perfect for older teens.

I'm a fan of GG, but I'm also 19 years old. I think the show is fine for older teenagers, say 16 and up who already have a sense of who they are. These kids on the show, while gorgeous, are not good rolemodels.
Adult Written byim.right.trust.me April 23, 2010

LOVE it. but only for mature teens.

Adult Written byamollo01 April 9, 2008

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bytwoboys9899 April 9, 2008

As an adult - I was entertained

This was decent entertainment for an adult. I would be horrified if my teenager watched this. The show is young beautiful hight school students with unlimited funds, no curfew and little parental involvement. It reminds me of the movie Cruel Intentions (which I loved). You forget you are watching high school students.
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byGeorgia Wilson March 28, 2015