All parent member reviews for Gossip Girl

Adult Written byangelfire87 January 10, 2011

No Redeeming Qualities

There really aren't any redeeming qualities to this show. It's a show glamorizing teenage sex with multiple partners, drug use, under age drinking, backstabbing, and gossip.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bytwoboys9899 April 9, 2008

As an adult - I was entertained

This was decent entertainment for an adult. I would be horrified if my teenager watched this. The show is young beautiful hight school students with unlimited funds, no curfew and little parental involvement. It reminds me of the movie Cruel Intentions (which I loved). You forget you are watching high school students.
Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byLiz Perle April 9, 2008

kids drink and drug and have sex with designer labels

Do we need this? I know people are saying this is a guilty pleasure but what is so pleasurable about watching kids who, if they were ours, we would be weeping over? Is there one parent on earth who wants to have such shallow, ill behaved selfish kids? yuck. It's another question entirely why we as an audience like to watch this stuff.
Adult Written bycadiomals August 15, 2011

Know your kids

The best thing to do when it comes to this show is: know your kids. If they are easily influenced by media images, this is definitely not for them. However, if they are old enough and mature enough to know that there's some bad stuff to be found in this show and not to follow it, it could just be harmless fun for them.
Adult Written bykcande April 9, 2008

just a bunch of lost kids

Parent of a 2 year old Written bylynzie2106 September 21, 2009

I think its fine for children 16+, yes it has some sexual tention.refrences to drugs, ect. but what 16 year old doesnt know about these things. Its not promoting anything of the sort though, it shows kids who are rich and live certain life styles and what the consequences are. Some of the charcters are bratty and backstab each other over rumors, ect, again something thats not a good message, its entertainment, i suggest 16+ with parent supervision as well as a talk after the shows about what happened. I think this show is a chance to get close with your teen and have them trust you.
Parent Written bywaterboom June 30, 2011

What parents & educators say

Based on 29 parent & educator reviews: 86% say sexual content is an issue 83% say there's too much drinking, drugs, or smoking 72% say language is an issue 62% say they noticed product placement 59% say violence is an issue waterboom waterboomgajahmungkur
Parent Written byCommonSenseParent November 30, 2010

Great show for 6th grade and up

Gossip Girl is an addictive guilty pleasure show that is perfect for 11 (6th grade) and up. Kids will enjoy the fun details of the wealthy and privileged. Your children should be smart enough to realize that this is guilty pleasure TV and should not be taken seriously. A+
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byconnielove93 February 9, 2010

A great complex show for kids 13 and up!!

Gossip girl featres people who are willing to backstab others in order to get their way. But that's what it takes to get ahead in the upper east side. I think the role models are good because it tells kids that being lazy and not going to college will get you nowhere. Everyone aspires to be like them because they are rich, tell your kids that if they want to be rich and perfect like them they will have to get good grades and a higher education.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bynadiasmommy427 August 10, 2010

The acting is awful, but I am 31 and I find this show to be fun for me to watch. But not my 12 yr old daughter.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bylindatapp April 15, 2011

At least 13 to watch

It's fun for kids 13 and up. To not let a 15 year old watch it is ridiculous, but 13 is iffy. Just talk with your kid and make sure they know right from wrong.
Adult Written byTWIHARD4LIFE August 18, 2010

Me and mo9st of my friends began watching this when we were 11. no biggie
Adult Written byim.right.trust.me April 23, 2010

LOVE it. but only for mature teens.

Adult Written byBeckstar November 1, 2011

Too much sex and bad role models

YET another thing I'm reviewing where commonsensemedia and I don't click. As soon as I started watching this show, it started with sex, sex and more sex. Every single episode seemed to have it. It also contains lots of drinking., back-stabbing, heaps of gossip (hence the title) and sleeping around plus other bad behaviour. I would NEVER let anyone watch this under 16. Everyone is this show is fake, superficial. No role models in this show, nor is there any 'good' messages. Not that I noticed anyway. I only watched it because I wanted to see what the fuss was about, but would NEVER see again. I'm appauled at someone commenting that they saw this when they were 10! Sure, kids will find out all this stuff around 10 anyway, but this show doesn't give them any good messages about anything
Parent of a 15, 16, 16, and 17 year old Written byShakespaereLover March 11, 2011

Adult Written bytjgirl222 June 26, 2010

Perfect for older teens.

I'm a fan of GG, but I'm also 19 years old. I think the show is fine for older teenagers, say 16 and up who already have a sense of who they are. These kids on the show, while gorgeous, are not good rolemodels.
Parent Written byCooldee April 21, 2010

Do not watch this show!

Too much swearing and violence. This show is boring!
Adult Written byEllie._.xoxo January 18, 2015

AMAZING

This is one of the best TV programs I've watched! It's a really fun storyline and although they do a lot of plotting and scheming against their friends they always make up and stick together in the end. Must watch!!
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 December 17, 2014

25+. Not for teenagers or college kids.

I know this is supposed to be a "teenage" drama show, but, I think it's too edgy for teenagers and early 20's, because, there are too many bad role models such as the kids backstabbing each other when they're supposed to be friends, they party, drink, fight, do drugs, and, have sex and it's bad influence on children, at-least 25 year old's are mature enough to watch this without being influenced by this garbage. I hate when they have edgy shows like this one that market's to the young and impressible under 25.
Educator and Parent Written byMrs.Melanie December 29, 2013

Trust

Let us begin with the title, the theme is "gossip girl" so obviously it will feature scenes with slender and well gossip.As an adult with three kids and a teen i can understand how it feels to allow my kids to watch these discouraging shows: however, i believe that i have taught my kids well enough and i know my kids wont instantaneously turn into "sex maniacs' and worse- Drug addicts. All i'm saying is that if your kids are highly immpressionable like - 10 or 8 i would not recommened this show but if they are older than i think we should trust them and show them respect as growing people ( i mean we cant keep them in our wings forever,right?) at least that's what my pastor says. i do not speak for the whole population of christians.