All parent member reviews for Hannah Montana

A rock princess/girl-next-door made for tweens.

Parent of a 2, 4, 4, 6, and 7 year old Written byLizzy2 January 9, 2010

Pretty bad messages about Friendship and Family life!

This show is not very good for children! The show started out when my oldest was only 3, and the second-oldest was 2. They were very young, but when their older cousin was over, they watched it. So, when it started out, Miley was sweet and was like a normal tween girl. Nice to her friends, and mostly nice to family. But as the show progressed, Miley got brattier and brattier. She is terribly rude to friends and family. My 6 year old isn't much of a disney girl, and she would rather be playing than watching TV, but my 7 year old and one of my 4 year olds, Railegh, enjoy this show. The 7 year old has picked up some of Miley's rude language. At first I had heard her saying it to family and friends, and people thought it was cute. My four year old picked it up too, which was precious. But then I got a call from my 7 year old's teacher, saying she was being rude towards her and the students. The teacher said that she made a comment and she replied with "Ya think?" which wasn't so bad. Until she did stuff Miley had done, such as actually laying on the floor of a school hallway and biting at her friend's leg! And probably the worst, my daughter had lost a friend over it! She didn't know when and when not to use "Hannah Montana Speak" as we now call it, and when a friend was upset about a deceased pet and wanted down time while my daughter wanted to play, my daughter told her to "build a bridge and get over it." I had a talk with my 7 and 4 year olds, and had banned them from being rude, and reminded them that it's just a show, and Miley is being very rude at times, and it's not acceptable in real life. But I decided to stop letting them watch the show when I watched an episode. Miley seems to be "using" her friends for her advantage, runs around like a diva, and twists situations so problems aren't her fault. Plus Miley Cyrus is a horrible role model, and her dad approves of it. But really, all the rest of the stars are good. But I do not want 4 teen divas running around in a couple of years, acting like Miley had!
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 14, 2012

Yes,they canceled it!

I'm so glad this show got the can! It was junk! Its really overrated and boring!
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bytween mom July 8, 2010

role model is behaves in a highly disrespectful manner towards her father

Exosure to this show made my daughter think it was appropriate to treat adults in a manner which is rude and disrespectful. About two weeks after we blocked this show our 8 year old daughter's diposition towards adults imroved greatly. Unfortunately, many shows geared toward tweens do represent a lot of flippant behavior, but the character of Hannah Montana treats her father with such a "no duh, dad!" kind of attitude, it's particulary detrimental.
Parent Written byBluffette May 31, 2014

Not much redeeming here.

The show focuses on Miley who is both a regular kid and, in her blonde wig, a famous singer. I avoided this show for years and finally allowed it. I feel that around age 8 or 9 it becomes age appropriate, although it's not a great show and has little to really for parents to like. It is entertaining for kids, but not anything special. The central family unit of the show is the dad and two kids; this family is sweet, but the two kids - Miley and her brother Jackson - are rude and disrespectful to the dad in most episodes. There are regular jokes about how old people are stupid and the dad is such a buffoon (even though, actually, he's okay). The kids come around at the end of each episode, make up with dad, and everyone is happy but I doubt many parents will appreciate the repeating theme that makes it seem like all parents are stupid and annoying (a Disney TV hallmark). Another thing I dislike about this show is the focus on crushes. There is nearly always some crush or budding romance on this show. There is a big focus on getting your crush to like you and on being in a relationship even if it causes problems in other areas of your life. They would do much better to allow the characters to develop self-confidence and interests that don't rely on getting a boyfriend/girlfriend to like you. There is mild kissing and the frequent promise of kissing to come. Finally, the kids are not exceptionally nice, smart or interesting. They act mean, tease each other, make faces and use insults. Some of these problems are in the dream sequences that the show uses, still, they get huge laughs from the laugh track and send the message that meanness is funny and cool. In short - this show is dumb. It goes for cheap laughs and misses opportunities to present positive images. Hanna could be a great model for kids to work hard, follow their dreams, reach for the stars, etc. Or, the dad could be a great example of a single parent who works hard and supports his kids - they could respect and appreciate him for all the support, love and guidance he gives them. I could go on and on. There's lots of potential here; many ways in which this show could have been a good one, but - as usual - Disney has failed miserably. The good messages all get lost because they are so greatly outnumbered by the bad messages. Try to find something better for your kids to watch.
Adult Written bybianca7788 May 16, 2011

Ugh

Hannah Montana's most popular words are " Shut up! " and " you idiot! ", I personally would not allow my childeren to watch this, it teaches kids to say mean things and be snotty with your parents. Highschool is not always fun and games candyland! This show just finished but still plays on the Disney Channel.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymomjen September 11, 2010

Rude language

I think Hannah is rude. I wound not let my child talk to me or her friends that way. Too much sarcasm, put-downs, disrespect. humor is for older children.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byqeto March 29, 2009

Ridiculous Show

I find the Hannah Montana show utterly ridiculous. She behaves like a brat, inconsiderate towards her dad, friens, brother, resources, but herself. I have banned my children from watching this show. there are numerous other shows. I really would like to know, what is the underlying theme of the show apart from the fact that its about a spoilt teen star. Not that children who will watch will become like her, but just to show Hannah's selfishness and self-centredness on TV is an utter waste. I dont call it entertaining either.
Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008

Good Show

Shows good examples but if your kid is to young they will pick uponly the bad humor though it may be mild.
Parent of a 3, 9, and 11 year old Written byhomeofplay February 17, 2014

Awful!

Oh goodness gracious, this show is plain awful! It promotes such bad messages! Hannah/Miley and her friends are terrible! Thank goodness that my three daughters (ages eleven, newly nine, and three) have no idea of Disney Channel or Miley Cyrus. Phew!
Parent of a 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18+ year old Written byFIAB December 6, 2012

Another rubbish tween pop singer!

Words cannot describe how horrible Hannah Montana is. I would suggest you to stay WELL away from this show and singers music! -_-
Adult Written byAliGA January 3, 2016

Good show!

I don't think the show is inappropriate at all, but I think since the characters are teens it would make more sense and be more entertaining for older kids.
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen August 16, 2013

Hannah Montana is a good show!

I watch Hannah Montana before since when I was 14-years-old.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 22, 2012

hannah montana

families can talk about Hannah's fear that her peers will react differently to her when they find out she's a celebrity. How can we be true to ourselves and also feel like we're fitting in and part of a peer group? Why is it important to show respect to others? Do the ways that the characters talk about and react to other girls and boys liv up to that standard? Is it realistic for a young girl to have seemingly endless access to clothes and accessories? In what ways is Hannah/Miley's life realistic?
Parent of a 5 year old Written byGiddyhippy September 11, 2010

If your tween is really self assured and respectful its okay

Its so sad that these young ladies have to cake on soo much make up. Even in the first seasons it was really inappropriate. I watched it but didn't let my son. Not to mention that the behavior and attitudes are really disrespectful. And yes the idea that you can only be cool if you are a rock star is not appealing.
Adult Written byTaliaStar December 5, 2011

Well...

I really didn't think this was a good show - the characters are NOT good role models at all. Some of the comedic bits were a bit funny (some, not all). It started out OK - even though I still think it's dumb to promote that you have to put on such a facade to be popular. Miley became a role model for young girls, and when she changed from "innocent child actress" to superstar diva-I believe that changed the rating of the show, because despite what some people think - the actors really do have an effect on ones views of the program.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bycucamonga December 19, 2008

Not a show for kids under 12

Now that Hannah and the rest of the kids are grown up, the shows are mostly about dating and stuff. So, not appropriate for young kids
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg July 19, 2012

....

Hahaha... This used to be my favorite show when i was 8. Looking back ( i am 12 now) i realized i really wanted to be like miley... You know cool and pretty with all those clever comebacks? I think thats what keeps kids hooked on.. I still remember my mom telling me to stop acting like miley because i used to say " ya think?" and all kind of rude comments... I even remeber getting banned before.. So just to close up as long as your kid doesnt want to follow hannah..... Breath a sigh!
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

very good

Girls and boys talk about each other in the context of romantic relationships, dating, and kissing, but no sex. Tweens will certainly notice the glitz and glamour of the pop princess, but her actual appeal is how she faces everyday challenges in this dynamic part of development. (Note: The show's fourth and final season is promoted under the title Hannah Montana Forever.)
Parent of a 5, 10, and 16 year old Written bySuperMom 2.0 March 20, 2011
Terrible! Season 1 and 2 were delightful, then Miley started going downhill, acting like she was the only person in the world, being unsupportive of her "best friend" Lilly, and Lilly's boyfriend Oliver, and being mouthy and disobediant. Terrible for anyone
Parent of an infant, 1, 3, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written byTheKennedys November 2, 2009

This show was made for 13+

I'm not a fan o Hannah Montana. I think that Disney Channel is too grown up for my 9 year old, Carly by a smidge, but way too grown up for my 7 year old, Hannah. She might love it, but the way they act towards each other is disturbing. I'm okay for Carly to watch it sometimes (except for that new episode where Jake and Tracie get married....?!?!?) but she is never without her sisters and brothers.