Parent reviews for Horrid Henry

Book character's bad behavior dominates cartoon series.

Adult Written bymeathings January 14, 2015

Not one good thing about this show!

My son just turned 5 and he started watching this show a couple of months ago. I didn't think much about it until he started talking back to me and doing the opposite of what I asked him to do. I then sat and watched a whole episode with him to see if the show had any value to it. I now can say, NO! Horrid Henry is a awful show and it teaches children to bully, hit, talk back, throw tantrums etc. I wish there was a way to block it on Netflix kids. I don't want this garbage in my home.
Adult Written byNickelodeonFan2007 January 3, 2019

Ignore the Parents

I Find it very Fun, Really Funny, and really Cool, And i would Recommend it for Kids.

Parent of a 2 and 7-year-old Written byKarima S. September 17, 2017

Not in my house!

I thought Caillou and his incessant whining was the worst I would see. Oh, no. Along came Horrid Henry. This character grates on my nerves as he has nothing to offer other than bad behavior with NO redeeming qualities. He's not quirky, he insults other children constantly, and the show overall teaches bad lessons. Had the producers made a show about Horrible Harry, I'd be okay with it. This one just teaches kids how to be disrespectful. Thank God mine know way better.
Adult Written byMatthew R. February 23, 2019

Really funny show

Horrid Henry TV show is very funny! Although he bullies Peter his brother a lot, his mum and dad always yells don't be horrid Henry. I like the humour used in the show. What I have noticed is that parents seem to dislike the show after I read their comments. Come on don't be so harsh on this show! It is aimed for kids and teenagers! It's not real it's only a cartoon! And yes there is bad behaviour but his parents sort him out.

Adult Written byJasonfx January 9, 2019

Horrid Reviews

I love this show and so do my children who are 2, 4 and 9. At first I was skeptical and thought this was a bad show until I sat down and watched it thoroughly a few times. Although PBS shows like Daniel Tiger and the like have their place, Horrid Henry fills a void. When your sick of the candy coated cartoons aimed at turning your kids into Mister Rogers, Horrid Henry is a breath of fresh air. Although Henry is a rebel, he is essentially a good kid at heart who is just full of energy. Henry is an intelligent kid who constantly needs stimulation and is bored easily. I love the dynamic between Henry and his goody two shoes brother, Peter. It really is a funny show at times and I have even stopped what I am doing to watch it with my kids. Horrid Henry appeals to kids because it is more realistic in the attitudes and dynamics of siblings and friends instead of breaking out into feel good songs about exploring your feelings. I love it, and although you need to tell your kids that Henry is acting bad sometimes, overall it's a great show. This is a much better show than the trash I have seen on Cartoon Network such as Clarence etc.
Adult Written byEddieP3 December 6, 2018

Great show! My 9-year-old daughter and I watch it together!

Imaginative, fun, and surprisingly realistic at times. This is a great show! It is my kid’s favorite, and she makes straight-A’s, and averages getting the “terrific kid” award 3x per school year. Parents who give this show bad ratings, are no different from parents who got the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon cancelled when I was a kid. How about being a parent and watching shows with your kid instead of denigrating something your kid likes?

Adult Written byShaanti R. May 11, 2018

Excellent Show!

The show, Horrid Henry is exceedingly entertaining! I spend much of my free time enjoying the show. It is fast-paced and has humorous jokes and character development. I am always interested in what prank or trick Horrid Henry will play next and whether or not he will get caught. Whenever I watch the show, I get absorbed, wondering what Horrid Henry will do to avoid getting into trouble. Several reviewers have claimed that their children were perfect angels at first but then after watching this show, they started robbing banks! That is very unrealistic. I bet they were exaggerating. Also, if children are taking after Horrid Henry's behavior, it is their own fault, not the show's.
Adult Written byAngela G. April 29, 2018

Adult Written byYana A. December 15, 2017

Punishments...

To all people thinking that their kids can be influenced by the main caracter being a pretty naughty boy: don‘t watch it.
I really have something to say to some of the parents here: how can you believe that a TELEVISION show is the reason your child is talking back to you or being what you call naughty?
And not because of something that‘s not quite right in this society?
Parents, I truly truly ask you from the bottom of my heart to always have your child‘s back, be kind to it, be there for it and understand. No „bad behavior“ happens without reason. Maybe it‘s manipulation, but why does a child feel the need to manipulate it‘s parents??
All we humans need is love and compassion and a connection to the people around us and when that connection is interrupted by punishment, threats and strictness, it causes lore harm than good and certainly does not treat the source of the bad behavior.
So... be kind to oneanother.
Because you know what? Children want to GIVE love and compassion, too. But they CAN‘T help themselves when they are misbehaving, for them it‘s a strategy to find connection, to prove themselves that mummy and daddy love them, no matter what they do. Not to experience the pain of being sat on the naughty step.

That being said: this show is a horrid show about a boy obviously suffering and hurting about something he can‘t express in a different way than making everybody elses life miserable. His helpless parents try to „fix him“ by locking him up or punishing him in some other way, not by showing compassion and seeking a connection.

Kids may relate to horrid Henry and copy his behavior, however this is nor theirs nor the show‘s fault. They are simply maybe a little desperately reaching out to you, parents.
Be there. Give Love.
Parent of a 4-year-old Written byLauren M. January 15, 2017

Very bad influence on my child

my daughter usually watches Netflix which I don't have a problem with especially since she's on the kids one.. it was brought to my attention yesterday she was watching horrid Henry and I am appalled at this show. It's very unacceptable for children to watch. I've never seen such a disgusting kids show in my life and makes me question as to why some of her behavior is the way she is because in some ways she acts just like him. I will now be banning this show as well as many other moms reviews I've seen. And to the person who thought it was okay to even come up with a kids show like this should be ashamed of themselves this is no way this show is acceptable for children!!

Parent of a 8-year-old Written byronansuperman January 6, 2017
Adult Written byBellaskull October 4, 2020

If your mature enough to under stand it then ok but other wise no.

Nobody on here seems to notice any other characters in this show. I agree the show is stupid. And i agree a young child should not watch this but every body is blaming henry for every thing. The only two characters in this show that dony treat him like garbage are his pet hamster fang and his best friend ' rude ralph. ' even ' perfect peter ' treats him like garbage. How is perfect peter the villian here? So called ' perfect ' peter will literally yell out ' mum! ' ' dad! ' or burst out crying just to get henry in trouble for no reason whatsoever and he belittles his older brother by rubbing how much better he should be in his face. And his parents dont say anything. If henry does anything right or wrong everybody finds a reason to blame him for some thing. Lets talk about ' moody margaret '. All she ever does is find some thing to tease him about, laugh in his face. And get in him in trouble for every thing. She literally gets upset when he wins and she loses. Her parents literally allow her to walk all over them and be a spoilt brat. Magaret gets away with just about every thing. And henry gets yelled at for even doing some thing right. Lets talk about ' stuck up steve ' now. He is rich and spoilt. His parents somewhat know how to scold him but they give him whatever he wants be they have the money to do it. And then stuck up steve rubs his rich family and how good and fancy his life is in henrys face. He is downright rude and get away with it. Nobody ever listens to henry, they yell at him constantly and when he does anything they stomp there foot and throw a fit. And then they get mad when they dont get respect out of him. There are a ton of adult messages in this show. For instance the episode where henry sneaks into margarets tree house in search of some thing he lost assuming she stole it and is keeping it in her tree house where and her and her friends hang out all the time that her parents probably dont check. He picks up one of her books to see if its what he is looking for, gets a look at whats on the front of it and says ' yuck! '. There is another episode where peter goes over to margarets house and asks why henry was not invited to the sleepover. And margaret says ' because its girlist. ' and peter responds saying ' you mean sexist? ' then margaret says ' no i mean girlist. ' then the other episode when henry and his family go to the park for a picnic and a random girl walks up and offers to help him. A couple of seconds later it becomes obvious peter and this girl that is way older then him have a crush on each other as they start flirting. And henry is pretty quick to notice it. Henry gets grossed out and embarrassed any time he comes in contact with a girl. But peter who is several years younger then henry seems to be perfectly fine with showing his affection towards women and seems a little to open about sex for some body his age. If you pay attention u will notice that every body treats henry like crap even down to fluffy peters cat. Excessive crying/tantrums, anger, rebellion, loss of motivation. These are all signs of verbal abuse. And it sounds like these parents have no idea what there kids are up to. And these kids sound like they know a bit more about sex then they should. Peter sounds like he needs to be checked by a doctor. There is nothing child appropriate about this show at it teaches is that its acceptable to treat every body like crap and then expect to be treated nicely. And just because henry listens to rock music doesnt mean he is a bad kid!
Adult Written byMr. Hicks March 22, 2016

No redeeming qualities

I bought the CD for my grandson Henry . I listened to it as a precaution. I expected there to be some redeeming quality to the stories but found none. The kid is mean and naughty. I see no reason in these stories. I would be worried if my child ( I raised four) or grandson found his behavior amusing. Henry is doomed if his parents don't teach him how to behave toward others.
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byDFixer October 23, 2015

Bad Influence

Without adult supervision, children below the age of 18 will tend to follow or pick up the attitude and character of Horrid Henry.

And as such they will think its "cool". The violence , the swearing, the lack of mannerism.

Its bad enough we have such adults but having such attitude and character from an early age??
Parent of a 4 and 5-year-old Written byAnarriel October 15, 2015

Very BAD influence

DON'T let your child or children watch this. My son started watching this less then a week ago and I already got a call from school because he did something he NEVER would have done before he watched that show. He acts like Henry now and it only started since he watched it. He was a very well behaved boy before that show appeared in the list on Netflix. It is now BANNED in my house and I really wish there was a way I could BLOCK it from Netflix.
Adult Written byDocManny September 9, 2015

Heinous.

This show is... BAD. The show heavily relies on discordant music, horrific voice acting, and an obnoxious color palette, as well as horrible characters, lazy animation, and stupidly bland and even RACIST stereotypes to get by -- none of which are remotely funny. In fact, I don't even think it TRIES to be funny. Don't waste your time with this mess of a show...

Parent Written byAngelC 1 February 27, 2015

Don't Let Your Child or Children Watch This Show!!!!!!!!

WARNING : Don't Let your Child Watch This Show! It Is Inappropriate For Kids 10&Under! Ryder Watched This Show& He Mimics Some Of The Things Henry Does. So Never Let Your Child Watch This Show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written byMitchell T October 21, 2021
This is a funny show, but it is not for little kids as Henry acts rude and mean to others. As long as the child watching understands that it is a cartoon and not real life they should be fine watching it
Adult Written bycal-der July 9, 2021

Need to put more thought into the messages behind television

Whats interesting about Horrid Henry from a modern perspective is the way in which the show highlights toxic parental traits. It is unspecified whether or not this is intentional, but a lot of the actions of the parents in this show could be considered abusive.
The consistent insulting of their son, the blatant favouritism and the lack of pursuit into the reasons why Henry could act in such a way.
This is likely an example of reading to far into an outdated piece of media, however even if unintentional it does make you wonder what this show could be teaching young children, especially if this was an unintentional byproduct of a less educated time.
Parents if you’re children are acting out, perhaps instead of consistent persecution try and communicate with them? Modern psychological children's studies highlight the fact that children will mimic the world around them, with the inclusion of television and especially the parents. Sometimes, the best way to get your children to stop acting out is a clear and concise talk about their actions!

Anyway congrats if you read this large entry! Cant wait to see what type of people frequent this site and whether or not i have angered any people on here :)
Adult Written bythemamacow June 11, 2021

I BLAME HIS PARENTS.

Poor old little Henry gets called horrid, WHY DO YOU THINK HE IS LIKE THAT? His parents never show him any understanding or empathy or love, except for when he is obidient. THEY NOT RAISING A DOG, HE A CHILD FOR GOODNESS SAKE, show little mite some compassion and humanity.

He cleary has problems handling his emotions and struggle in many situations but they not address this at all (his parents) All the attention is on the little brother who they say perfect all the time which must make Henry feel awful and worse his problems but parents don't realise this.

Show should be called HENRY'S HORRID PARENTS!