All parent member reviews for Invader Zim

Parent of a 12 year old Written byAstrid12 November 21, 2010

Very smart, underrated, "feared" show

For some reason, Invader Zim scares Americans. One little green dude wants to take over the world in a cartoon and parents are already concerned of them taking in the "bad stuff". Are people so untrustworthy of their kids that they can't tell the difference. Invader Zim is a satirical view of the everyday lifestyle. People are always overreacting so they are the exact thing Invader Zim makes fun of. This show is perfect becuase it teaches and develops into smart, critical thinkers that are capable of handling big chores. I want my child to know these things and for him to tell them apart. I don't want him to grow into the adults that Invader Zim shows but a smart, independent thinker. For that, Invader Zim is the smartest, perfect children's show that was taken away too soon.
Adult Written byMikeM April 9, 2008

A great mixture of random stupidity

This show is probably one of THE best shows ever. It's filled with episode after episode of random stupidity and subtle jokes that poke fun at today's society. The only thing that parents may be concerned about is that it doesn't really promote good morals. For instance, a teacher welcomes a new student by saying "Class, I would like to introduce the newest, hopeless appendage to the student body." Not to mention the teacher’s name is “Miss Bitters”. Other than that the show is great for kids of all ages - but kids 8 and up may understand the few jokes that actually take thought and intellect. (Not every joke is as nonsensical as those in SpongeBob).
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 14, 2012

This is a good show.

This is one of the best shows i've ever seen! It's lays up there with SpongeBob,Hey Arnold,and The Simpsons! The animation is nice as well as the jokes.
Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

Invader Zim

Very funny show. Not a big cartoon fan at all, but this is just one of those shows...
Adult Written byhendleyh February 23, 2015

I'm 13 years old. When I was younger I would watch this show all the time and not understand any of the jokes but still think it was funny with Gir's crazy sayings and antics. I recommend that younger kids (ages 10 and below) should not watch this show. Even though Gir is quite funny for them, they would not understand the adult humor being showed in this show.
Adult Written byaliceumbrella January 4, 2015

Great for teenagers and adults not so much children

I must start this off saying I LOVE this show. Then again I am 21 and still like a lot of the shows I watched as a kid. I did not watch this show because I remember it being violent and I didn't really understand the plot 100% of the time. One episode in particular involves organ harvesting to make Zim more human and better his disguise. I can't watch that episode now anymore than I could then. I think it's a funny sill show filled with satire. It's my own opinion and I know plenty of people who always liked it. I just think it is something you should be watching as a family so the little ones won't end up seeing something upsetting. As a teenager it's a bit more appropriate but then again it is always the parents' decision as to whether its ok to watch. You should always pre watch a show to ensure it works for you and teaches your child morals and ideas that you feel fit with your family.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 23, 2012

Thank goodness Nicktoons Network is reruning it!

Invader Zim is one one those shows that should have never been canceled.The show that should have been canceled is ChalkZone (which FINALLYgot canceled).That or Nick News (which must die!).So if you like sci-fi cartoons I recomend Invader Zim.
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts February 2, 2012

I'm Going to sing the Doom Song Now!

I think Common sense is going too hard on this show with the Language and the Violence. My kids and I are in love with this show. We watch it all the time. And it got canceled, so now nick has stupid shows. Like T.U.F.F Puppy, Retarted Fanboy and Chum Chum, Creepy Planet sheen. Except Planet sheen got canceled too. And stupid teenager shows about teenagers being too inappropriate. Like iCarly or Victorious. I cannot believe some people hate this show. I agree that you're just begging to be destroyed if you hate this show. You'd be crazy if you hate it. My whole family loves it. Including my Grandparents, But most of my family has never heard of this show. Jesus or Santa probably does not hate this show. Because we need this show back. Although, I heard on Christmas Eve of 2011, They showed 1 new episode. That is a clue that they will put this show back on the air. And Nobody in the world hates it. Mabye 1, But I read online that over 1 billion people love this show. It needs to be back on now! Please. I would do anything to get this show back on the air. Trust ZIM, And Gir and his piggies.
Parent Written byZach'sMom September 24, 2011

Invader Zim Teaches!

Hello, my 7 year old son Zach and all of his friends watch Invader Zim on Netflix. And yes, I admit I watch it too! The show is very humorous and does actually teach my son some lessons. For example, Zim's personality of never giving up actually helped my son want to study more so he could become an Invader (haha) and impress the tallest which i guess was me. He actually got an A on his spelling test when he usually is making B's. I am very proud of my son who now is in AIG.
Parent Written byGlass-Cheshire May 28, 2011

Had some scares, but the laughs weigh more on the scale.

OK, I admit it, this show scared me when I was 4. I just thought it was a bit creepy...but then again, at that time, all I watched was Sailor Moon. After I got older though, my mind did a 180, and actually thought Zim was....cute. Of course., there are some squicky scenes involving pimples bursting that I still haven't gotten over, but if your child's not very easily scared, then it's OK. Or unless they're neat freak.
Adult Written bycoryi April 9, 2016

Out there, in a good way overall.

Invader Zim is a cartoon set in the distant future, and features the misadventures of the main character Zim. Zim is from planet Irk, & the Irken race appears to have conquered most of the galaxy. Zim, though lackang any significant skill or fortitude, wants desperately to be assigned a planet to conquer as a part of Irken mission "Impending Doom II". Zim, having been a major hinderance to "Impending Doom I" is not allowed to participate in the former, unbeknownst to him. The Irken race's society is comprised of a hierarchy based solely on height, with the tallest being the most respected, and the shortest being the least respected. Zim is... Short. The "Almighty Tallest" are the rulers of Irken society, as they are both the same height and the tallest living Irkens. The Almighty Tallest send Zim (whom they know to be completely incompetent) to the very fringes of the galaxy to a planet they aren't even completely sure exists, which turns out to be earth. Zim, obliged to serve his master's request assumes the rank of invader and sets off for earth with a malfunctioning robot made up of spare parts and junk out of a trash can. The main goal of the tallest seems to be keeping Zim busy while they continue conquering the galaxy, because they know Zim will ruin everything if he's involved whatsoever. As a result Zim tries over and over to conquer earth unsuccessfully, even eventually learning to love some aspects of human culture, saving Earth on numerous occasions. The often mentioned, and undeniable satirical element to this show shines brightly. The pet peeves of the intelligent are amplified to eleven and over acted to the utmost. Since this world depicts Earth in a somewhat distant future, the people are all a bit dimwitted and simple despite having technology far advanced from our real life Earth. The show does feature some obviously advanced story-telling elements as read above, and can be a bit too creepy to look at for the overly sensitive. Basically if your kid won't watch Tim Burton films, they aren't the type to watch Invader Zim. In the show, there seem to be only a handful of intelligent people, Dib and Gaz are siblings who both appear to be aware of Zim's real nature and intentions. Dib is a conspiracy theorist, as one of the only humans onto Zim, his main motivation is stopping Zim, although everyone thinks he's just crazy, and he doesn't know how incompetent Zim is. Gaz seems to be aware of Zim's intentions and just doesn't care. The only other two humans showed as anything resembling intelligent are the pair's father, Professor Membrane the world renowned scientist, and their "skool" teacher, Ms. Bitters. Is it for everyone? No. Is it a bit dark? Yes. That being said, the overwhelming message of this show is to be aware, be accepting of others, think for yourself and ask questions. It's a show with a lot to say and creators who knew exactly how to say it. Kids from this generation may not get it, but when I was 8 or so this was my favorite show and it remains one of my favorite cartoons to date. Beware the borderline language. Your kid might take up calling people "FILTHY HUMANS!" as a joke, don't worry, they're not weird, you're weird.
Adult Written byspringion January 17, 2016

Best show ever!

BEST SHOW EVER!!! But 10+ because one episode had a kid`s eyes being ripped out. And dark themes like stealing organs. No blood. I thing it should at least be TV PG DV. It should have been on Fox. NO ONE UNDER 10!!!
Parent Written byratethis June 21, 2014

pushing the limits allright...

I remember watching this show but a few times, I esspically remember the 'DARK HARVEST' episode, yes the show was very unique, interesting art, and probably should have lasted much longer, but I can see why they canceled it. 'dark harvest' centers around zim(an alien) who has to the school nurse, but he doesn't have human organs or anything like that so he goes around stealing students organs and replacing them with random objects it was very very disturbing, I really think they should have put it at p.g and put it on cn, it probably would have lasted longer.
Adult Written byrobratings8901 June 17, 2014

This is kinda gross...

This show is hilarious! I watch it on amazon. Some of the stuff is creepy, and many of the characters get horrible fates, i.e the first episode, when a small invader gets assigned to "the planet of ravenous rat people", and one episode where Zim is lost, so he decides to see where the sun sets to find out where west is, and his eyeballs bake. The humor is sometimes gross, and kids get treated in some abusive ways. I wouldn't look up to any of the adults, or Zim. GIR is hilarious, in a good, cute, way, and his "Doom song" will be in my head for the next DECADE. Still, my favorite character is Gez, even when she's cruel to her brother Dib. Last thing- they have a really catchy theme song. :)
Adult Written byIvySparks September 12, 2013

A fantastic show, but definitely not for younger kids.

I absolutely LOVE Invader Zim! It's witty, hilarious, and random. It might not be right for some kids though, as it's very dark, and sometimes gross and disturbing as well. It's not so gross and disturbing though that I think 11 or 12 year old kids couldn't handle it. To clarify, when I say "gross and disturbing" I don't mean gory. By gross, I mean it features topics like disgusting restaurants and lice and other things along those lines. By disturbing I mean it shows things like Zim going around stealing people's organs (it's done without gore) and shrinking himself down to miniature size so he can travel around inside someone in a mini submarine thing. It's not as bad as it sounds, but not really for younger kids.
Adult Written byUltimateJhonenFan1 April 24, 2013

Amazing Awesome LOVE!, but not for the weest of ones.

DO NOT WATCH IF YOU ARE UNDER 12! This cartoon was created by a graphic novelist and it shows! Anyways, If you can handle the dark undertones, which to me are awesome, but for little kids not so much, this is the most insane, hilarious, cute, and overall amazing cartoon out there. Just keep in mind though, the guy that wrote Johnny the Homicidal Mainiac made this! In the first few episodes: zim goes around stealing kids organs, and rips a kids eyes out. It dosent stay this dark for the whole series though. Its pretty much safe after the episode Dark Harvest (the fourth one I believe), except for the occasional "spooky" moment. Ever since discovering this show a year ago, however, Jhonen Vasquez has become my favorite artist. All of the characters are very humorous in their own little ways, and the plots are extremely creative. Id highly recommend this amazing awesome love to anyone that is over 12, teens, adults, old people, etc. Im not joking, you will NOT regret watching this!
Parent Written byImSpidey2 June 10, 2012

Randomly hysterical, and sometimes creepy and slightly mature.

Another show that both I and my mom love. It's funny but it can be creepy at some points. My favorite character is GIR. Don't you want to take him home? I sure would.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

invader zim

harsh nicktoons show, curse words like H*ll and bas*ard.
Educator Written byMychemicalstinkpants February 3, 2011

green dude is disgusting at times but awsome

invader zim is so cool but there is gore
Parent of a 4, 7, 9, and 11 year old Written bybostonbragg December 24, 2010
Dark Harvest is really creepy, and it's creepiest one that I've seen (I've seen most of sesons one and two). It's the episode when Zim steals organs to appear more human. The humor doesn't really light it up very much (Gir isn't in it very much/at all), so that makes too creepy for really little kids. My four year old sister walked in in the middle of it, said she wanted to watch, and I said she could leave if she gets too scared, and she just walked right out right then. If she arrived at any other moment, that would have happened too. My point is, it's written by and stars Jhonen Vasquez, an adult comic book writer. Not for little kids.