All parent member reviews for Jake and the Never Land Pirates

Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook April 26, 2011

Some questionable themes but not horrible.

A few concerns with this show -- first of all, what is Disney's obsession with Pirates? For some reason it's princesses for girls and pirates for boys. Strange. Pirates are horrible role models to begin with. My boys like Peter Pan though, and are a bit confused with how this show relates to the movie. We have only watched it a few times since we don't have Disney channel, but aside from the Pirate concerns, I did not like how it was focused on money, ie the 'Dabloons'. My kids picked up on that right away and were incorporating it into their play. I found that a bit disconcerting. It's not a horrible show, but I would not watch this regularly. We are going to Disney World this year, but I do not want to reinforce Pirates as role models.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bymommy in montana April 9, 2011

I read the last two messages. Were these people ever children, that watched Tom and Jerry or Road Runner and Cyote? These are classics that don't teach us, but make us smile or laugh. Sometimes kids need just a fun cartoon. We as parents sometimes read to much into things, yes if they were cutting heads off and all that it would be different.
Parent Written byMrShadestep June 15, 2011

Blinded while being too critical?

My almost 3 year old son loves this show and gets plenty of good laughs from it. He recognized the characters from Peter Pan and that instantly drew him in. There are times that I get to be Captain Hook and he is Jake, but more often than that we have to be on a pirate team together. We go out on nature walks with our treasure map and he loves counting the team's gold doubloons one by one which he was not at all good at when we first started watching. This, amongst other shows, is a show that I could be overly critical of but my son proves time and time again that being so critical blinds me to the valuable lessons that he notices and then shares with me. "...Jake and the Neverland pirates and... Oliver!" =)
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written byCA Dad February 16, 2011

Not positive message-especially for girls

Not a good show. Watched one episode where Jake and friends find a skateboard. Jake hogs use of skateboard making Izzy and Cubby sad, voicing they "wish they could get a turn!" Instead of any message/comment that Jake is not being nice and should let his friends have a turn, Captain Hook steals skateboard, it is retrieved, and THEN the other kids get a turn (no mention of Jake's hogging). Strange-as a lesson was there to be taught and it wasn't. The rest of the time is spent with Jake telling his friends what to do and. . . they do what he says. Nice role model and message for my girls (NOT). The tallest boy is the leader and girls (and the little round faced boy) obey the leader.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byParent312 February 24, 2011

Show needs to be canceled

This show is terrible. My kids are sick and tired of pirate shows. Pirates are not good role models. There is no educational value. Show needs to be canceled.
Parent Written byej's nana February 21, 2012

Pronoun usage

The writers should use proper English. In a recent episode, Peter Pan sand' "me and my shadow". This should have been my shadow and I. The least the writers could do is present a proper role model for young children.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 7 year old Written bynewgirl1993 April 15, 2012

Not for kids under 4.

I Think this show is a bit violent but all and all a pritty good show..
Parent of an infant, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11 year old Written byResponsibleParentOf9 December 30, 2012

For elementary students and up.

I only let my kids 5 and up watch this as I fear Captain Hook might be too scary for them.