All parent member reviews for Jake and the Never Land Pirates

Parent Written byMrShadestep June 15, 2011

Blinded while being too critical?

My almost 3 year old son loves this show and gets plenty of good laughs from it. He recognized the characters from Peter Pan and that instantly drew him in. There are times that I get to be Captain Hook and he is Jake, but more often than that we have to be on a pirate team together. We go out on nature walks with our treasure map and he loves counting the team's gold doubloons one by one which he was not at all good at when we first started watching. This, amongst other shows, is a show that I could be overly critical of but my son proves time and time again that being so critical blinds me to the valuable lessons that he notices and then shares with me. "...Jake and the Neverland pirates and... Oliver!" =)
Parent of a 4 year old Written bymommy in montana April 9, 2011
I read the last two messages. Were these people ever children, that watched Tom and Jerry or Road Runner and Cyote? These are classics that don't teach us, but make us smile or laugh. Sometimes kids need just a fun cartoon. We as parents sometimes read to much into things, yes if they were cutting heads off and all that it would be different.
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook April 26, 2011

Some questionable themes but not horrible.

A few concerns with this show -- first of all, what is Disney's obsession with Pirates? For some reason it's princesses for girls and pirates for boys. Strange. Pirates are horrible role models to begin with. My boys like Peter Pan though, and are a bit confused with how this show relates to the movie. We have only watched it a few times since we don't have Disney channel, but aside from the Pirate concerns, I did not like how it was focused on money, ie the 'Dabloons'. My kids picked up on that right away and were incorporating it into their play. I found that a bit disconcerting. It's not a horrible show, but I would not watch this regularly. We are going to Disney World this year, but I do not want to reinforce Pirates as role models.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byagbrowne August 18, 2013

It's the singing

My 6 year-old seems to like all the singing; she has learned to sing along.
Parent Written byWilliam8 April 19, 2015

Fairly harmless fun

Our 3 year old boy absolutely loves this show, and it's been a bonding experience with his older brothers (4 and 6). Like the show, they have simple adventures, use teamwork to try to get those pirates, and collect coins. There's an occasional positive message in the show, but I have yet to hear those messages referred to in their play... so I wouldn't give much credit to the show for character-building. At least it's not violent or laughing at drug use or whatever. There are some downsides. For one, pirates are basically professional thieves... I don't know why they should be "fun". We've beat the message about real pirates into our kids' heads, so hopefully it outweighs the show. Second, only 1 of the 7 main characters is a girl, and she's clearly an accessory character. Just like most movies and shows in our culture, the girls barely exist, and if they do they don't lead anybody or talk much. Parents of girls beware.
Parent of an infant, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11 year old Written byResponsibleParentOf9 December 30, 2012

For elementary students and up.

I only let my kids 5 and up watch this as I fear Captain Hook might be too scary for them.
Parent Written byej's nana February 21, 2012

Pronoun usage

The writers should use proper English. In a recent episode, Peter Pan sand' "me and my shadow". This should have been my shadow and I. The least the writers could do is present a proper role model for young children.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byParent312 February 24, 2011

Show needs to be canceled

This show is terrible. My kids are sick and tired of pirate shows. Pirates are not good role models. There is no educational value. Show needs to be canceled.
Parent Written byLauraH 7 October 24, 2015

Disappointing Female Role Model

Typically, there's just one 'token' female character, among crews of male characters. In the start of each show, as they embark on their daily adventure, Jake has his sword, Cubby has his map (tools, to get them out of trouble), but Izzy has her "pixie dust" -- given to her by the pixies for whenever they're *really* in a bind. The subliminal message here is that boys use tools, but girls need to be *gifted* magical "pixie dust" to pitch in and help out. It's not even her magical skills. It was gifted to her. Like she wouldn't have a contribution, otherwise. Why couldn't Izzy use some skills of her own? The crew does team up, and there's lots of friendship, and they do everything they can to get out of the binds they find themselves in, but in the end, they always need some magic. And then they're rewarded with money!? It's so commercial. I don't get why this show is considered educational, except for the counting. Having said that, my 6 year old daughter does love it. I wish there were stronger characteristics for her to admire in the one girl. And more girl characters in general, for that matter.
Adult Written byabbieschiller October 7, 2014

Halloween episode was too scary!

My son (age 4) is fascinated by Jake and his "adventures" and I have reluctantly allowed it but this week a Halloween episode in which Jake is transformed into a "hairy beast" scared my little guy so badly he was literally shaking at bedtime. Really, Disney?! Do the writers even have kids? Because I was tempted to call them to help me put my kid to bed! On the positive side, he was so afraid he asked never to watch TV again...
Parent of a 2, 4, and 7 year old Written bynewgirl1993 April 15, 2012

Not for kids under 4.

I Think this show is a bit violent but all and all a pritty good show..