All parent member reviews for Jane by Design

Adult Written byRubyRead January 7, 2012

Possible Age-Inappropriate Relationships

Familes should be concerned about the age-inappropriate come-ons from adult designer "Jeremy" to (secretly) teen-age "Jane". While it’s the opposite of the movie Never Been Kissed (adult is attracted to another adult that he believes to be a student), the “attraction” between Jane and Jeremy (adult hits on minor he believes to be an adult) is quite unsettling. Since Jane is styled to look “her age” (high school), this is pretty disturbing. I'm concerned that this show will join many others that seem to be endorsing this this sort of relationship dynamic.
Parent Written byMary Catherine July 2, 2012

Watchable but not believable

I've just viewed the first season of Jane By Design on DVD, on loan from my library. The first thng I want to address is almost the complete absence of parental figures. Billy is a high school student who lives with his brother who is always in trouble with the law. Apparently, they earn money by selling fake IDs. There is never mention of a parent except for an absentee mother toward the end of season 1. Billy's sole purpose in life appears to be that he is an enabler for Jane. The double life premise in regard to Jane attending high school part time and working for a fashion designer could never happen the way it is portrayed. Jane is hired on the spot with no background check and no verification of her age or employment status, completely unbelievable, apparently she lied on the application. Even those entering into intern programs are carefully screened, certainly this would have been discovered. Also, her boss and the majority of her coworkers never have a clue that she might be a high school girl and never question her age. We see Jane enrolled in AP calculus and English lit, the top student in her class, when does she have time to study? I loved the designer clothes, but the girl's income must all be on her back, yet she manages to make the mortgage and support her marginally employed brother, all on $34,00 a year. Flying to Paris and back in a day? Give me a large break! The show is entertaining and definite "eye candy," just don't try to make sense of the plot.
Parent Written byFancyFreeMama June 17, 2012

Good doesn't outweigh the bad.

While I think the characters are endearing and the main characters Jane & Billy could be seen as positive role models, I don't think those things outweigh the amount of sexual encounters in this show. There is a lot of heavy making out and "almost" moments with the teenagers and "in the middle of" or "just finished" moments with the adults. For me I was a little surprised that this was ABC Family. I wouldn't want my 14 year old watching it. Teen & adult drinking and few swear words too.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bydiaryofamommy January 8, 2012

Tacky...but ads run on children's network?

Show had plenty of sexual gags but ads appear on Disney Channel. Sigh, didn't we learn about marketing adult material to kids with Being Human? Girls show not suitable for under 13.